• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
I mean there is only one logical progression for future Xbox console names and Microsoft has no one to blame but themselves for this.

Xbox Series X
Xbox Series XX
Xbox Series XX #Reload
Xbox Series isuka
Xbox Series XX /
Xbox Series XX ac
Xbox Series XX ac+r
Xbox Series Xrd -sign-
Xbox Series Xrd Revelator
Xbox Series Xrd Rev2

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I'm sad it wasn't called Xbox³

Would really mess with people, and make the whole two gamecubes stacked together look make sense.

I guess going for Series X makes it sound more like a high end bluetooth speaker / Alexa device.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this Is the best naming option for what they are trying to do with more than one console next gen. Smartphones do it to great success so why not.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All of you are wrong. "Real Steel", set in the far-flung future of 2020, already promised us the Xbox 720!
7ef1f65d0b.png

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
XBV would have been neat but this makes sense for having multiple models. We all know a Series S is coming.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
the average buyer isnt an idiot. if they are spending a decent amount on something, im pretty sure they will research. plus commercials, ads,...
do people get confused buying iphones, galaxies, ...
nintendo doesnt have a consistent naming scheme, neither do cars.
how about buying a laundry machine
I've heard stories from people who work at retailers who've had customers that buy new iPhones, sight unseen. They just catch wind that there's a new iPhone and buy it, they don't know what it has over their current phone, or the different models that came out at the same time, or anything.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Xbox Spire

In all seriousness, Microsoft has never really been good at naming conventions.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
There is a reason why its not called xbox 5.
That name makes no sense.
Xbox Infinite though, now thats a missed opportunity.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
You were expecting Microsoft to know how to use numbers?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"hOw cOuLd tHeRe bE aN iPhOnE 10 iF iPhOnE 9 dOeSn'T eXiSt?"

Perfectly fine to skip numbers to get on par with your competition. Apple did it when it came to Samsung so Microsoft could have done the same.

So they could just use Xbox 6 to sound better than PS5 lol

Still makes no sense to say that Xbox One X is "Xbox 4"

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
What is to gain? Be the "same" as the competition? They could name it Xbox 6, and for the same logic be "better" than the competition.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
They called their 2nd console 360 and their current gen one, One. They didn't need to explain the Xbox 5 if they chose that name. However Microsoft has been suggesting an end to console generations for a while and releasing more powerful consoles every few years, the word 'series' can get that across well.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of tech companies have skipped numbers for various reasons, mainly better marketing opportunities. Even MS, look at Winodws 8 -> 10. So it is a little unnecessary to discuss whether it is ok to count Scarlett as the fifth Xbox. They easily could have just done it without much trouble by just saying they counted One X as a full step.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
So they could just use Xbox 6 to sound better than PS5 lol

Still makes no sense to say that Xbox One X is "Xbox 4"
What don't you understand about this concept?

Xbox One X wouldn't be the Xbox 4...just like the iPhone 8 Plus wasn't the iPhone 9. There is absolutely no difference in these 2 cases.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Mk. V

Xbox = Mk. I
Xbox 360 = Mk. II
Xbox One = Mk. III
Xbox One X = Mk. IV
Scarlett = Mk. V

Or better yet, they could've just called it the Xbox Scarlett Series, With the Xbox Scarlett X and Xbox Scarlett S models referring to Anaconda and Lockhart respectively, with games just being labelled as being for "Xbox Scarlett". They come up with great codenames and then ditch them for the most generic and samey names in the world.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Instead they just named the console platform "Xbox"

It's better this way

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
"hOw cOuLd tHeRe bE aN iPhOnE 10 iF iPhOnE 9 dOeSn'T eXiSt?"

Perfectly fine to skip numbers to get on par with your competition. Apple did it when it came to Samsung so Microsoft could have done the same.

The combo of (1) that sounding a bit arbitrary/stale/lame and also (2) itself breaking convention by using a number sequence for the system name for the first time are good reasons not to have done that.

Instead they just named the console platform "Xbox"

It's better this way

Pretty much. The new Xbox (which plays all Xbox games) is called the new Xbox. The highest-end version that was just revealed is the Series X, which is a callback to the 1X, which was the highest-end version from the previous generation.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
There is a reason why its not called xbox 5.
That name makes no sense.
Xbox Infinite though, now thats a missed opportunity.

It's so Infinite it'll be obsolete in 6-7 years and have a successor. Oh and a more powerful version within like 3 years.

Microsoft fucked their whole naming convention with their nonsense.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
PlayStations naming conventions are iterative and logical. Nintendo's are descriptive of the console itself or the experience you want to have. Xbox's makes no sense.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
It's literally just Xbox now, the way it should be. Series just denotes which one like X (premium) or S (standard)

Nov 7, 2019
Microsoft is building their own product and running their own business. While Sony is the competition they want to do their own thing. I respect that.

John64

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I thought the same thing earlier this year but Microsoft always does the unexpected with their names so I knew Xbox 5 wasn't going to happen. The more I think about 'Xbox: Series X' the more I like it. I don't think anyone will say the full name though. I suspect people will say something like "I got the Series X at launch but I'm looking forward to getting a Series <Whatever> when it comes out." I think the "Xbox: Series ____" gives them lots of options for futures names, mid-gen upgrades, etc.