• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
These threads just found a way to get even worse. Congratulations to everyone!

"People are sick and dying from a global pandemic but my favorite corporate entity is slightly richer so everything is awesome"

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Console wars
It's always good to see a player in the industry thriving, take notes Sony.
Lockhart may be a huge hit if this keep going.
You can stream and download games on PSNow.
It's not even wide available or practical outside the US, right now. I can even use GamePass on my PC.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018

"People are sick and dying from a global pandemic but my favorite corporate entity is slightly richer so everything is awesome"

People use games as one way of escaping the shitty reality. I don't see anything wrong with that. Great that MS is doing well.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony must be seeing a pretty huge uptick as well. That explains why they suddenly decided to increase PS5 manufacturing.

felixdat

Alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2020
People lose sight of how big Microsoft is sometimes. Azure alone makes Microsoft more revenue in a SINGLE QUARTER, than the PlayStation division makes Sony in an ENTIRE YEAR.

Yeh I dont think people get it. Their gaming division probably gets ignored by investors as its peanuts lol

Which brings me the question , why is MS so invested in the gaming division ? I mean they could get rid of it and their shareholders wont give a shit

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Yeh I dont think people get it. Their gaming division probably gets ignored by investors as its peanuts lol

Which brings me the question , why is MS so invested in the gaming division ? I mean they could get rid of it and their shareholders wont give a shit
They've said this before - the gaming industry generates tens of billions of dollars in revenue. I guess Microsoft see that as a reason to invest in gaming. It also aligns nicely with their core strengths: cloud services, subscriptions, and software.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RIP Xbox. You had a good run.

Actually I read on ZhugeEX 's Twitter this is the second best year In the history of Xbox in terms of revenue. They seem to have found a real stride with GamePass and it looks like they are just getting started.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huge LOL @ $1 GP hot takers. Where are they?

And yes, if Phil was happy to write off money on $60 games, he'll be open to drop XBL Gold if it means substantial gains in the future.

Sony certainly won't, but Phil is in full disruptor mode right now. Anything is possible.

Yup. Consumers are going to be home for a while it seems, perfect opportunity to shake things up.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Other than the fact that the Xbox is a popular brand? The gaming division is a big part of their cloud plans.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've said this before - the gaming industry generates tens of billions of dollars in revenue. I guess Microsoft see that as a reason to invest in gaming. It also aligns nicely with their core strengths: cloud services, subscriptions, and software.
Xbox is potentially a huge driver for Azure, their tech stack goes beyond Xbox, and positions them favourably for game businesses that want to use thier backend. And then game streaming with 5G is expected to be substantial, especially on Asia, MS are improving their readiness for this eventuality.

OP
OP
TameLucas

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal

Why are you even posting on a Gaming Forum while people are sick and dying from a global pandemic?

Honestly, this is not about favorite corporates getting richer, but people celebrating the success of things they like and are, in some way, meaningful in their lives - SPECIALLY during a global pandemic where most of us are locked inside our homes.

Just like we celebrate - very often - when a game sells X million units, we're allowed to share and discuss the growth of business related to our passion: gaming. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, just go to the next thread.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Wow the grapple hook is already paying dividends for Microsoft.

OP
OP
TameLucas

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
And yes, if Phil was happy to write off money on $60 games, he'll be open to drop XBL Gold if it means substantial gains in the future.
This!

GamePass, in theory, means that they're selling less copies of the games - specially first party. But in reality, it's been confirmed multiple times that Game Pass subscribers are buying lots of games they "try" on the service and want to own permanently. They're also more likely to purchase more DLCs / Season Pass for the games in the service.

And just like that, the discussion about dropping XBL Gold isn't that easy. More people being able to play online (for free) means more people on the ecosystem and more potential subscribers for Game Pass. We also don't know the percentage of users who pay for Ultimate or Gold + GamePass at the same time, so they might not lose too much by dropping Live Gold.

I'm interested to see their strategy, but I strongly believe that with all their games releasing on PC, it's likely we'll see the death of online paywall sooner or later.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
They really believed in gamepass and they really made it work, very excited to see how they evolve the service and what risks they take with the content now that is not about how much you sell but how you retain users.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Xbox is potentially a huge driver for Azure, their tech stack goes beyond Xbox, and positions them favourably for game businesses that want to use thier backend. And then game streaming with 5G is expected to be substantial, especially on Asia, MS are improving their readiness for this eventuality.
Yes. Even Sony are using Azure, I believe. There's gold in the gaming industry and Microsoft will get what they can get.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
It's always good to see a player in the industry thriving, take notes Sony... It's not even wide available or practical outside the US, right now. I can even use GamePass on my PC.

Jeez this post sounds console warrior-ish. Also PSNow is available on PC as well.

Anyways, I'm excited to see what Xbox brings tomorrow. No more online multiplayer behind a paywall would be awesome, even though it's supposed to be all games tomorrow.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Gamepass is the future of this industry.
Absolutely disrupting and amazing value with great game lineup at all times.

I can't wait until this is standard across all the big hardware manufacturers!

Also, shocking numbers for Xbox. It's great to see them posting growth and revenue especially at the tail end of the generation.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Jeez this post sounds console warrior-ish. Also PSNow is available on PC as well.
Not at all, maybe you don't know, but PSNow is not available in a lot of countries, PC or PS4.
GamePass is great value and can make Nintendo and Sony take another look in what they're offering, thus, making the industry better for the consumer. I'm def not a console warrior.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I know ERA it's very american-centric but it's getting tiring people assuming their service/product offerings = rest of the world.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
50 mil? Didn't know that, you have a source for that? even if that is true, it took them 7 years to reach that number. WW xbox is not a popular gaming brand lol.

360 sold what 90 million? Xbox One despite its issues is at 50+ million worldwide.

It might not be huge outside of America and a few other countries (Mexico, Brazil, UK, etc), but saying it's not a popular brand is way off point imo.

Jul 13, 2020
the line of thought from a forum dweller, and that's not to hate because it very well could be a correct one

but your average early gen adopter may not give a shit about the "insane value"
Why wouldn't someone spending hundreds of dollars on a gaming console not care about the "insane value" of GamePass? Isn't that person buying the console...to play games?

OP
OP
TameLucas

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
50 mil? Didn't know that, you have a source for that?
Unfortunately, we don't have the official numbers. The only source we have is a tweet by ZhugeEX, which has a good reputation on this :)

Context around this tweet is based on a claim by AMD about selling 150+ million units of consoles using their processors. This is from earlier this year.

ESYAYOLXcAUlyHB

Considering the recent growth in hardware revenue for FY20 Q4 (49%), the recent price decrease of Xbox One X and the fact that consoles were sold out during the initial months of the pandemic, I guess that number is probably higher now.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So if I said 'good job Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft, for giving more content per money!' it's console warring? Really?
Fuck off.

The way you framed it is that Microsoft is thriving and Sony should take notes, implying they are not thriving and need to follow suit. Both companies can do their own thing and thrive just fine.

And for clarification to your earlier post mentioning PS Now not being practical outside the USA, it's currently available in 19 countries and you can use it on PC to stream games as well. I imagine we'll learn more about how the service will evolve in the coming weeks.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
one bad console cycle and microsoft took it very seriously. Thats a great sign. I got my gamepass on PC and i am happy with it. Hope they show tons of games tomorrow.

felixdat

Alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2020
its wild that in a thread about record growth and success for Xbox you are here questioning the relevance of Xbox lmao

How come they dont share the amount of consoles they shipped? Because of the low numbers? that's fine I guess. As the xbox is now a service. I am wondering If they had massive console sales, would they have shared that info.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
How come they dont share the amount of consoles they shipped? Because of the low numbers? that's fine I guess. As the xbox is now a service. I am wondering If they had massive console sales, would they have shared that info.
Or they don't care about hard consoles numbers, the numbers that matter for them are Content growth, user base growth Etc.

They did this switch with azure and office and it worked wonders there too

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
The way you framed it is that Microsoft is thriving and Sony should take notes, implying they are not thriving and need to follow suit. Both companies can do their own thing and thrive just fine.

And for clarification to your earlier post mentioning PS Now not being practical outside the USA, it's currently available in 19 countries and you can use it on PC to stream games as well. I imagine we'll learn more about how the service will evolve in the coming weeks.

I don't think PS Now is well compared to GamePass, and all signals point to xCloud to be well pass PS Now streaming which has never been more than an average in both tech and game offerings.

Considering the white hot success MS is seeing with GamePass - along with the positive coverage it has been receiving since launch - does suggest that Sony could do more here. They have a different strategy, yes, but they are behind in this service specific offerings. They are fine, but if that becomes more important than that could be a problem long term.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I can't recall where I read this, but someone said that Satya Nadella liked the XBOX Brand because it resonated with younger people and it was a great way to promote the company

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think PS Now is well compared to GamePass, and all signals point to xCloud to be well pass PS Now streaming which has never been more than an average in both tech and game offerings.

Considering the white hot success MS is seeing with GamePass - along with the positive coverage it has been receiving since launch - does suggest that Sony could do more here. They have a different strategy, yes, but they are behind in this service specific offerings. They are fine, but if that becomes more important than that could be a problem long term.

I wasn't trying to get into a comparison between the services, just correcting that users comments regarding PS Now.

We do know that PS Now is undergoing refinement behind the scenes with the move to Azure, the eventual addition of PS5 hardware, expansion to more regions and devices and the MoU with Microsoft for both companies to collaborate to improve both of their cloud service offerings. The content very well might see a shift going into next gen as well, we just have to wait until Sony is ready to share that information.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's always good to see a player in the industry thriving, take notes Sony.
Lockhart may be a huge hit if this keep going.

It's not even wide available or practical outside the US, right now. I can even use GamePass on my PC.

What? Why you Sony take notes? Are we living in different universes?

Also, while game pass is available in more countries, don't pretend like psnow is like in two. There is no point in trying to be a console warrior