• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, I honestly expect them to repeat the whole thing next gen but a bit better due to no negative PR at start. Xbox isn't just a known brand outside of few select countries

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's a massive decline. They've basically lost all momentum, despite their policy changes and services like Game Pass.

Scarlett really has to deliver, or this won't be pretty.

Game pass and their other policy changes are great for people already in the ecosystem, but it's not the sort of 'oh shit I need to get that console' hype that sells consoles. Look how many PS4s were sold right on the back of Spider-man and God of War. Microsoft need LOTS more AAA super-hyped games to sell consoles, then use their awesome services like Game pass to milk those people for as much money as possible once they have nabbed them. Sea of Thieves may be a fun game that is a great revenue maker out of the current player base due to the GAAS part, but how many people went out and bought a console just to play that game? how many people did it bring in to the MS eco-system for them to then make money of with future content? not many I would bet on.

Scarlett will only deliver if it has the games. The hardware inside it won't be the issue at all, the vast majority of people won't care about a few % difference in performance between consoles, plus or minus, only how awesome the games look. Forza is niche, Gears and Halo seem to be losing momentum as the series has gone on, although Halo Infinite looks like it will bring the hype. They desperately need new IP. Look how smoothly Sony managed to bring in new IP like Last of Us last gen and Horizon this gen. Look how they managed to reinvent a tired IP in God of War. Where are Microsoft's version of these?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Could be but others have also announced their next gen console and sales haven't dropped

Source for that? Switch is obvious here, but you're saying the PS4 is still selling as well as the previous year when it had GoW, MHW and Fortnite among others? And this year it has had Days Gone, Kingdom Hearts 3 and... not much else that could be a system seller.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Reduced third party game sales. Why buy it when you will eventually have it on gamepass. It isn't such a leap in logic. It's not the full picture but it's one of the reasons.
But there's no guarantee it's gonna be on gamepass. If there's people that think like that, i feel like it's a real minority.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Source for that? Switch is obvious here, but you're saying the PS4 is still selling as well as the previous year when it had GoW, MHW and Fortnite among others? And this year it has had Days Gone, Kingdom Hearts 3 and... not much else that could be a system seller.
Based on their forcast drop will be 10% without any price drops at the moment. . We have to wait for their financial soon

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Could be but others have also announced their next gen console and sales haven't dropped
Firstly, we don't know Sony's hardware sales for the last quarter yet so you can't claim this just now. Secondly, Sony's hardware sales did actually decline YoY for the Jan-March quarter this year (19m to 17.8m).

Regardless, Sony is continuing to ride high on a stream of successful first party exclusives, whilst Microsoft is suffering in that department after years of well known under investment. And not just under investment in first party, but in every department including marketing, localisation, third party partnerships etc. Last year we saw PS4 get exclusive marketing for RDR2, FIFA and CoD all at the same time. Meanwhile Xbox had to make do with Tomb Raider and Fallout 76 because when these deals were struck, Xbox had no budget.

It's remarkable that Xbox One is still alive. Most consoles wouldn't have survived the crap that platform has been through right since its initial reveal in 2013. So fair play to Microsoft really. Next gen will be much more interesting for them at least.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It's remarkable that Xbox One is still alive. Most consoles wouldn't have survived the crap that platform has been through right since its initial reveal in 2013. So fair play to Microsoft really. Next gen will be much more interesting for them at least.

Their 1st party offerings aren't so hot but they've still got Call of Duty, GTA, RDR2, Fortnite etc. so it's not like it was going to be another Wii U or something.

Oct 25, 2017
The Sony cheerleader troupe called it "a stroke of genius":
So it seems to depend on who you ask.

I'm not gonna comment on that or whatever.

However, they are definitely both different.

You go to E3 and have a whole produced video shown to millions vs an article?

One is clearly making it more of an announcement vs the other.

Not saying one way is better than the other.

Timatii

Jul 6, 2019

They have 65 million Xbox live subscriber. 65 million. Do you really think Xbox was dying?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm not gonna comment on that or whatever.

However, they are definitely both different.

You go to E3 and have a whole produced video shown to millions vs an article?

One is clearly making it more of an announcement vs the other.

Not saying one way is better than the other.
The Scarlett announcement wasn't until 10th June, I doubt it had much impact, if any at all, on the quarter's hardware sales tbh.
They have 65 million Xbox live subscriber. 65 million. Do you really think Xbox was dying?
Firstly, I never said Xbox was dying and I think you misinterpreted the point of my post. Quite the opposite, the brand and fan base is strong enough to have weathered 6 years of negativity.

Secondly, they do not have 65 million Xbox Live subscribers.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Whelp. There's just no good way to spin that news.

We still have 16 months to go until the next generation of Xbox launches.
They did mention the yoy decline was so large in part because of a strong q4 in 18. They had a 39% increase in that quarter - likely mostly Fortnite push.

I wonder what the decline is in sales for headset manufacturers. Those were hugely pushed by Fortnite growth - and to a lesser extent other battle royale games.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a good look in hardware.. I mean, didn't think it'd be this bad with Xbox SAD and the Xbox one X on the market.
They really need a gen reset...

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
12 billion in profit. Jesus. O.o Microsoft cloud really feels like it has no ceiling. Crazy numbers.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
You can often find X with 3 to 10 games included at around 249-299€ tax inc. Last big deal i saw was 249€ with FH3 and pubg with 100€ of cash back on the supermarket card. ( ie 149€ the X + 2 games).
lots of the video game shops ( at least in spain ) buy X cheaper than a ps4 slim.

Seing npd numbers, and how irrelevant xbox sales are outside of US, we must be around 42-42.5m atm. It'll never each 50m.

Damn son.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Firstly, we don't know Sony's hardware sales for the last quarter yet so you can't claim this just now. Secondly, Sony's hardware sales did actually decline YoY for the Jan-March quarter this year (19m to 17.8m).

Regardless, Sony is continuing to ride high on a stream of successful first party exclusives, whilst Microsoft is suffering in that department after years of well known under investment. And not just under investment in first party, but in every department including marketing, localisation, third party partnerships etc. Last year we saw PS4 get exclusive marketing for RDR2, FIFA and CoD all at the same time. Meanwhile Xbox had to make do with Tomb Raider and Fallout 76 because when these deals were struck, Xbox had no budget.

Xbox as platform next gen will be very healthy but the sale of next gen console will suffer due to this approach imo(just my opinion ofcourse) . Anyways we shall wait and see how it turns out next gen .

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Microsoft should really consider acquiring a publisher with that amount of bankroll. Holy smokes. Capcom would be nice get. A few Japanese devs like From and Platinum would make a lot of noise as well.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
With their games releasing on Steam and xCloud in the future, those MAU's should go up. That should be Spencer's biggest concern. Will he be able to grab the PC market (and will they subscribe to Game Pass?)

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Xbox One X with all that power is still not enough to make people buy the thing by droves. Also Next Gen around the corner makes people wait for the Nextbox.

Lackluster E3 also did not help I guess.
They should implement a further price cut for the One X.

Services revenue slightly decline 3% but MAU way up. Gamepass and all those 1 dollar deals, so this is to be expected.

Long term we will have to see.
Power never is a sole reason to buy a console and neither are services. Games are what sell hardware.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Because if you believe Phil Spencer, game sales go up for games that go on Game Pass.

Phil can say that, but it makes no sense. If I'm getting to play Metro Exodus and Void Bastards for $1, why am I going to turn around and buy them for $90?

It doesn't make an ounce of sense.

As for Game Pass itself, Microsoft's going to take a hit when other big third parties decide they want a subscription model. Square's already considering it, so that would mean no more Square games. WB could believably want one as well. Things will definitely be changing.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
User Banned (3 Weeks): Platform warring, mod winning; numerous infractions for platform wars rhetorics.
logs into ERA, last page, this page, all Sony peeps, nah, just nah. good job mods, we have GAF 2.0, If mods dont see the issue, then I dont really have anything to add, status que. everything is fine and dandy.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you gonna go on Twitter and have another meltdown?

joker-laughing-gif-20.gif

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
With their games releasing on Steam and xCloud in the future, those MAU's should go up. That should be Spencer's biggest concern. Will he be able to grab the PC market (and will they subscribe to Game Pass?)

His biggest concern should be software and services.
MAU going up doesn't mean nothing when software and services are on decline.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
MS are definitely going to go hard on Xcloud and Gamepass next gen as I see their hardware continue to drop. Its funny all the jokes about Nintendo or even Sony going third party last gen but it looks like MS is the most likely to do so. I'm happy as a PC gamer that I finally get to play the new Halo at least.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

I'm totally reading that question is the DBZ narrator's voice in my head.

"Find our next time, on DRAGON BALL Z"

*outtro theme*

But to answer your question, I think that depends on what you mean by "grab." If you mean getting a significant portion of users on W10/Xbox store as their primary purchasing place, no way. Too much competition from Steam, GoG, and especially Epic now. Plus no EA, Ubisoft, or Bethesda games either really hurts those chances even more.

I think Game Pass can get somewhat of a decent user base. It won't be massive, but I think it will be enough to make it worth Microsoft's while.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Explains the crazy GamePass fire sale, saw those hardware numbers and realized they needed to do something to keep and get people into their ecosystem.

They still care about hardware numbers otherwise they wouldn't give people so much GamePass for so long for so cheap. It's a way of setting up repeat customers for next gen and getting some new ones.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory mod whining.
logs into ERA, last page, this page, all Sony peeps, nah, just nah. good job mods, we have GAF 2.0, If mods dont see the issue, then I dont really have anything to add, status que. everything is fine and dandy.
Yup, the moderators are failing this forum.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Sony peeps can't discuss Xbox's results?

My issue is from experience alot of posters have no vetted interest in the Xbox platform to begin with. They just concern troll and it's been going on for years now. There is a reason why most Xbox related threads go to shit! Just look at the Gears 5 threads as a good example!

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My issue is from experience alot of posters have no vetted interest in the Xbox platform to begin with. They just concern troll and it's been going on for years now. There is a reason why most Xbox related threads go to shit! Just look at the Gears 5 threads as a good example!
You don't need to have an interest in the platform to discuss it though, specially it's performance, the games? Yeah, people without one won't have much to discuss.

gillty

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver - Kansai
Gamepass is stemming the tide of declining hardware? Is Gamepass driving the living subscription growth?

Wait, Sony peeps can't discuss Xbox's results?
The entire concept of a Sony 'peep' is an insane concept. As a Sony product owner, you're entitled to be invested in Sony's success. However, you don't work for Sony and Sony is not your identity.

*Does not own an XBONE or PS4.