• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

Not confused. That same article states that Azure revenue was up 76% last quarter. This quarter was flat, but grew 76%. Also apparently Azure and AWS seem to compare different things, so that could be hard to tell.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox hardware doing better than expected is good news even if it is down.

Sounds like an amazing Q overall. First time MAU is over 60M?

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I honestly don't see nothing that jumps at me. MS is surviving in the gaming division which is good, but seems they're more focused on services and software rathet than hardware. Guess gotta keep the MAU's up. Curious to know the ratio of MAU's between regions. I'd wager USA accounts for probably 75% of MAU's or more.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
I'm still waiting for an answer. Like Xbox had am increase in revenue thanks to third party titles, most likely Fortnite. You can't attribute that to Microsoft.

Apart from that what did they even do or release (apart from forza) in the last year?
Sea of Thieves? State of Decay 2? But you already know that do you? You're here just for console wars trolling

Oct 27, 2017
The World
I'm still waiting for an answer. Like Xbox had am increase in revenue thanks to third party titles, most likely Fortnite. You can't attribute that to Microsoft.

Apart from that what did they even do or release (apart from forza) in the last year?

Many things. Enough things for 12-month trailing revenue of gaming to hit 11.5 billion.

Yes, it was up in US as of Dec 2018. But huge drop off from June 2018 till end of 2018 in US ( their strongest market ) means decline ROTW is big. Even though it was already 25% down before. Like @girgosz said

I still can't find anything about Hardware being 2% up or 10% up or 10% down in 2018 vs 2017 in any press coverage of NPD.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I wanted to say, their cloud business is a fucking gold mine. I guess it's even more worth than that.

They're doing incredible in Cloud. That's clearly the essence of their long term strategy going forward in all their pillars, including gaming.

The funny thing is Microsoft was kind of late to the party in the Cloud business. That's just incredible how the company managed to shift. Nadella deserves lots of credit.

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Sea of Thieves? State of Decay 2? But you already know that do you? You're here just for console wars trolling
Did those two titles actually do well? Did they do well enough to push Xbox's performance? Did they do well in he last quarter (which is the source of this topic)?

I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't know what big things did Xbox do in the last quarter that we should praise the "talent". Like the earnings call says Xbox revenue is up thanks to third party software

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did those two titles actually do well? Did they do well enough to push Xbox's performance? Did they do well in he last quarter (which is the source of this topic)?

I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't know what big things did Xbox do in the last quarter that we should praise the "talent". Like the earnings call says Xbox revenue is up thanks to third party software

Yeah, okay, lmao.

Anyhow, great numbers. Xbox One may not be winning the "console wars" in terms of hardware units, but their profits are on the rise, which means they are in a good place and shareholders are probably happy, which ultimately means more goodness for us down the line. Them buying studios left and right, investing in services hard and getting that power advantage back is no coincidence, and the fact that they are increasing profits even despite all this is very good news for gamers in general. You may like MS or not but it'd be bad if them (or Sony, or Nintendo) left the console field.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Actually yeah I made a mistake there. I always associate turn 10 with forza even though this year it was horizon's year so I should attribute that to playground games

Turn10 has contributed to Horizon since day 1 so you're not exactly wrong in your thinking. It's always been a close partnership.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019

Sales don't really matter anymore with Microsoft since gamepass, and that's awesome. I hate fucking sales talk/threads.

And awesome news! I am BEYOND hyped for stream gaming, so this is great news all around.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Highlights from their conference call to discuss the earnings report.

Satya said:
And now I'll turn to gaming. We continue to pursue our expansive opportunity to transform how games are distributed, played and viewed. Our investments in content community and cloud services across every endpoint drove both record user engagement and record average revenue per user and contributed to our largest gaming revenue quarter ever, driven by software and services.

Amy said:
Additionally, strong subscriber growth across Xbox Live and Game Pass helped to offset lower-than-expected performance from other third-party titles on the platform. Xbox hardware performed better than expected but declined year-over-year given the holiday launch of the Xbox One X a year ago.

Amy said:
Segment gross margin dollars increased 6% and 7% in constant currency, and gross margin percentage decreased due to sales mix to our lower-margin Surface and gaming businesses.

Amy said:
In gaming, we expect revenue growth to be slightly higher than last quarter. Sales mix will shift to software and services where we expect healthy growth.

Satya said:
When I look at every business becoming a digital business and then take that opportunity and map that to our capability, we have the broadest platform of anyone in the tech sector to really help every customer in every country become that digital business. And we have the business model that aligns with them and their interests and the trust. And so therefore, from a secular perspective, we are all in on making sure that we invest in our commercial cloud as well as our investments in things like gaming and going after the opportunity that is there in front of us.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Instead of coming into a thread whilst being completely ignorant, next time do a little research, or at least don't post disparaging remarks before you pose a question.

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Instead of coming into a thread whilst being completely ignorant, next time do a little research, or at least don't post disparaging remarks before you pose a question.
Nice job of actually answering my questions or engaging with my comment.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Not trying to troll but apart from Playground games, what talent?
The talent of the hardware engineers that created X. Hardware is down but think how it could be without the X.
The talent of the people that are working on Game Pass
The talent of the people that are making Xbox Live still attractive.
The talent of the people that are adding features to the Xbox Store that make it more attractive.
The Talent of the studios that have released games for xbox this year because even if the growth is third party titles, because everything adds up.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
The talent of the hardware engineers that created X. Hardware is down but think how it could be without the X.
The talent of the people that are adding features to the Xbox Store that make it more attractive.
The Talent of the studios that have released games for xbox this year because even if the growth is third party titles, because everything adds up.
well said.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it was up 2% in the US and down in the rest of the world. Hurray. That supposed to be good? Thats like saying PS4 is doing incredible in Japan because it sells a little faster than PS3. The point I'm trying to make that hardware is not doing too good and MS is trying different tactics. If their cloud stuff works out next-gen hardware might become even more insignificant to them.
They don't care about hardware, it's a necessary expense to sell software and services for the time being. It will shrink as a percentage of the Xbox business over time but Xbox revenue and profit will continue to grow.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
They don't care about hardware, it's a necessary expense to sell software and services for the time being. It will shrink as a percentage of the Xbox business over time but Xbox revenue and profit will continue to grow.

Profit growing? Source?

Edit: Besides, your basically saying the same thing as me. Though It's not that they don't care. Of course they care lol. Hardware is not doing good thats why they're trying different business models like subscription services, Windows store, Play Anywhere etc

Last edited:

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
+
The talent of the people who made XB1 backwards-compatible.
The talent of the people who established a unified ecosystem across platforms (a challenge that their competitor seems to be struggling with, since their offering is a fragmented mess).
The talent of being able to keep multiplayer servers online for longer than 2 years.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Profit growing? Source?

Edit: Besides, your basically saying the same thing as me. Though It's not that they don't care. Of course they care lol. Hardware is not doing good thats why they're trying different business models like subscription services, Windows store, Play Anywhere etc

It literally says that even on Hardware they did better than their own internal expectations.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Something I learned this week that I had not realized is that as more purchases are made digitally revenue will automatically go up even with out an increase in unit sales because MS/Sony are now the retailer. So for say a first party game if before one unit was sold at retail for a wholesale price of 40 to 50 dollars digitally that game would be sold for $60 with all revenue going directly to MS/Sony. So in that scenario revenue grew by 20 to 50 percent with no actual change in unit growth. And with 3rd party sales the growth would be even more substantial per unit because at retail MS/Sony would have only booked their liscensing fee as revenue ( a fraction of the wholeslae price) where as now they book the entire $60 as revenue. It kind of makes sense now though why Sony/MS revenues have been skyrocketing as the Gen has progressed and we get more and more stories of higher digital penetration.

At least that's how I understood what Matt was saying. Correct if I'm wrong.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
+
The talent of the people who made XB1 backwards-compatible.
The talent of the people who established a unified ecosystem across platforms (a challenge that their competitor seems to be struggling with, since their offering is a fragmented mess).
The talent of being able to keep multiplayer servers online for longer than 2 years.
+the guys from the controller team. Adaptive controller and Elite, nothing can touch that for quality and innovation.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Azure isn't a close second, and the gap is getting bigger. AWS is growing faster than Azure in absolute numbers.This is from the most recent reinvent.

O8qRbq6.jpg
Totally

This chart with no x or y axis or labels of any kind totally proves it

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Do those statistics include gamepass plays or are we talking about raw sales?

5+ million people (so separate accounts) have played Sea of Thieves. Who knows how many people have rented the game, played it via their subscription service, bought it in retail or got it via game sharing.

Microsoft does not report sales. Same for Forza Horizon 4: 7 million people played it.