• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was up 2% in the US and down in the rest of the world. Hurray. That supposed to be good? Thats like saying PS4 is doing incredible in Japan because it sells a little faster than PS3. The point I'm trying to make that hardware is not doing too good and MS is trying different tactics. If their cloud stuff works out next-gen hardware might become even more insignificant to them.

That's a fair assessment. I am sure if they could do it financially, they would give the consoles away.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Yeah it was up 2% in the US and down in the rest of the world. Hurray. That supposed to be good? Thats like saying PS4 is doing incredible in Japan because it sells a little faster than PS3. The point I'm trying to make that hardware is not doing too good and MS is trying different tactics. If their cloud stuff works out next-gen hardware might become even more insignificant to them.

Did NPD say Xbox was down in rest of the world and up 2% in 2018 vs 2017 in US? I can't find any such release from them. Probably missed that discussion around here.

Is that good? Probably not, but in terms of overall revenue, MS is doing fine.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Does Nintendo and Sony have Xbox live sign-in?

You need to sign in on the Switch to be able to play multiplayer unless you play only on switches with one of the switches running the server.
The old version did not requires this, and it is probably why the bedrock edition is not on playstation, they don't want to mix in microsoft accounts.

Edit:
Microsoft reported 91m monthly Minecraft players as of October 2018, but Xbox Live MAU is 64m.
Probably a lot of people playing the non-bedrock edition.
You can't have mods and other fun stuff in bedrock on PC.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Don't they fold it all under Intelligent Cloud? That has been the case with the last few earnings call/ppt slides.
Their Commercial Cloud includes Office 365 commercial, Dynamics 365 and some LinkedIn offerings (those are newly recognizes now).
That revenue is normally reported in the Productivity & Business Processes division.

Their Intelligent Cloud division includes server products like SQL, Windows and Visual studio, that are not part of Microsofts Commercial Cloud.
Also Enterprise Services.

It's a different alignment.
Azure is Azure, though and included in both.
Azure was ~$7.6bn in FY18.
But you're right. It's not a good comparison and only compare Azure to the whole of AWS.
AWS is also more than just IaaS and PaaS.
But so far SaaS is still the biggest part of Microsofts Commercial Cloud.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Their Commercial Cloud includes Office 365 commercial, Dynamics 365 and some LinkedIn offerings (those are newly recognizes now).
That revenue is normally reported in the Productivity & Business Processes division.

Their Intelligent Cloud division includes server products like SQL, Windows and Visual studio, that are not part of Microsofts Commercial Cloud.
Also Enterprise Services.

It's a different alignment.
Azure is Azure, though and included in both.
Azure was ~$7.6bn in FY18.
But you're right. It's not a good comparison and only compare Azure to the whole of AWS.
AWS is also more than just IaaS and PaaS.
But so far SaaS is still the biggest part of Microsofts Commercial Cloud.

Thanks for clarifying. Much appreciated.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
MAU's seems so low considering that every solitaire player counts
Is this actually true?
ZhugeEX I have to log my daughter into an xbox account on her switch minecraft for her to play online properly, does that count in the MAU figure? She is technically logging into xbox live I think.
Things like this contribute to the 64m monthly figure because we know there are only 41m xboxs out there and not all of them would be active. Others however would have multiple users.

Jan 17, 2019
Even when it was up 40% YOY in the US it was it was only up 15% worldwide so basically it was way down in the rest of the world.

True, that

Could be wrong but I don't think the detailed yearly report is out yet.

And, There was no Xbox One X till Nov 2017. So, when there is sales revenue comparison till that date, there will be a big jump in most cases.
Did NPD say Xbox was down in rest of the world and up 2% in 2018 vs 2017 in US? I can't find any such release from them. Probably missed that discussion around here.

Is that good? Probably not, but in terms of overall revenue, MS is doing fine.

Yes, it was up in US as of Dec 2018. But huge drop off from June 2018 till end of 2018 in US ( their strongest market ) means decline ROTW is big. Even though it was already 25% down before. Like @girgosz said

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The way Azure has gained so much space even in just a few years is astonishing.

Wish they gave actual numbers for everything else

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Man they are doing pretty good for a platform that I think...had no exclusives in 2018 outside of Forza? (When did Sea of Thieves launch?)
The services is bringing in money, I can only imagine what the Spencer Box will bring to the table next gen revenue wise.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Man they are doing pretty good for a platform that I think...had no exclusives in 2018 outside of Forza? (When did Sea of Thieves launch?)
The services is bringing in money, I can only imagine what the Spencer Box will bring to the table next gen revenue wise.

Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 launched in 2018. And MS published PUBG on Xbox One too.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Candy Crush on Windows 10 is doing great I see. ;)

Surface revenue is up, but it'll be interesting to see if it can maintain that. Surface Go must have generated quite some revenue.
Candy Crush doesn't require an XB account to play. A better shade would be that Solitaire must be accounting for like 10million of it :P

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
LMAo even Amy Hood said Xbox Live Software & Service revenue increase was driven by a strong third party title. Also strong Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass subscriptions offset other weaker than expected third party titles.
Xbox One hardware above expectations, even though it declined.

Everyone is blaming Fallout 76 and BF V

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ Spencer box. Next gen will be interesting.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty low for Azure. They were hitting 90-100% growth for a while.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe how fast Azure is growing. Very impressive stuff.

Out of curiosity, was PlayStation's hardware revenue down the year after the release of the PS4 Pro?

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
congrats, happy to see them do well and hoping for a proper comeback from them next gen.
is minecraft switch likely a million seller by now?

Oct 26, 2017
congrats, happy to see them do well and hoping for a proper comeback from them next gen.
is minecraft switch likely a million seller by now?

09./09. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 8.588 / 582.039 (-23%)

Considering it's almost at 600k in Media Create (in Japan) just for the retail release, I'd think the better question is if it's passed 2 or even 3 million worldwide at this point. :P

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
People keep pointing at number of Xbox One sold this gen. But when we look at the finances, the results have been great this gen. 8% growth in year 5 ? Congrats MS !

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Never.

AWS is 5x the size of all their competitors (Google, Azure, Oracle, IBM etc). combined. And Microsoft "Cloud" combines non-cloud stuff after their reorganization shuffle.

I think it passed AWS in revenue. At least I think I read that a couple months ago.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
That is not what that statement means. The data is for the last quarter.

MS Intelligent Cloud computing passed AWS last year in revenue. With IBM coming in third. Azure is growing at a faster rate. AWS should be compared to MS Cloud which includes Azure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...to-5-44-billion-ibm-third-at-4-2-billion/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...e-26-7-billion-to-23-4-billion-ibm-third/amp/

These Forbes contributor articles are simply wrong. MS doesn't break out Azure revenue, it's included in Intelligent Cloud which is basically Server & Tools + Azure/Github.

The reporting segment includes Microsoft SQL Server, Windows Server, Visual Studio, System Center, and related CALs, Enterprise Services, including Premier Support Services and Microsoft Consulting Services.

He's basically comparing AWS (cloud only) with SQL/Windows Server, Enterprise services and Azure.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Azure is why Microsoft is best positioned for streaming + next gen, in my opinion.

Great numbers for Xbox, especially given the weak first party output this year.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Azure revenue isn't reported. It's only growth. Intelligent Cloud is Server & Tools + Azure.
It is. You just have to look at more than the presentation slides and a little deeper.
Azure without anything else made ~ $7.6bn in FY18 for Microsoft.
The whole of AWS (that includes other services, too. Not only hyperscale IaaS and PaaS) was $21.25bn for the comparable timeframe.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
From the Conference Call:
We continue to pursue our expansive opportunity to transform how games are distributed, played and viewed. Our investments in content, community and cloud services across every endpoint drove both record user engagement and record average revenue per user, and contributed to our largest gaming revenue quarter ever, driven by software and services.

Xbox Live monthly active users reached a record 64 million, with the highest number of mobile and PC users to-date. Xbox Game Pass subscribers and Mixer engagement also hit new all-time highs. And Minecraft, which continues to be one of the most popular and durable gaming franchises in the industry, delivered record revenue as we expanded into new platforms, geographies and segments like Education.

PlayFab surpassed one billion player accounts this quarter, and xCloud will be in public trials later this year as we make progress on our ambition to build a world-class gaming platform spanning mobile, PC and console.
Even i didn't know how big PlayFab is

Gaming revenue grew 8% and 9% in constant currency. Xbox software and services revenue increased 31% and 32% in constant currency, primarily driven by continued strength from a third-party title. Additionally, strong subscriber growth across Xbox Live and Game Pass helped to offset lower than expected performance from other third-party titles on the platform. Xbox hardware performed better than expected, but declined year over year given the holiday launch of the Xbox One X a year ago.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
It is. You just have to look at more than the presentation slides and a little deeper.
Azure without anything else made ~ $7.6bn in FY18 for Microsoft.
The whole of AWS (that includes other services, too. Not only hyperscale IaaS and PaaS) was $21.25bn for the comparable timeframe.

Mind posting a link? I can't find a breakdown of Azure revenue in their 10K.

And in any case, my main point was that Azure revenue isn't anywhere near AWS rev, unlike that dumbass Forbes contributor claims.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is the business Xbox is doing with comparatively smaller amount of exclusive content, imagine what they'll be doing when their new studios start rolling out games at a predictable cadence. Expecting massive growth next gen.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
Haha what

Azure is a close 2nd...it wasn't a few years ago

Azure isn't a close second, and the gap is getting bigger. AWS is growing faster than Azure in absolute numbers.This is from the most recent reinvent.

O8qRbq6.jpg

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to MS.
Next gen is gonna be battle on all fronts. Hardware, software and streaming. Can't wait.