• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Microsoft Corp. today announced the following results for the quarter ended December 31, 2018, as compared to the corresponding period of last fiscal year:

Overall -
  • Revenue was $32.5 billion and increased 12%
  • Operating income was $10.3 billion and increased 18%
  • Net income was $8.4 billion GAAP and $8.6 billion non-GAAP

Gaming-

Gaming revenue increased 8% (up 9% in constant currency).
Total gaming revenue was $4.23 billion, up 8% YoY.
Xbox software and services revenue was up 31% YoY, driven primarily by third party title strength.
Xbox hardware revenue was down 19% YoY due to a tough comp vs Xbox One X launch last year
Xbox Live Monthly Active users are up 8% YoY to 64 million. (Includes Gold and Silver members across Xbox, Windows 10 and Smartphones).

7wWFjBt.png

V7cfnwO.png

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/earnings/FY-2019-Q2/press-release-webcast
https://view.officeapps.live.com/op...?version=3ebd5724-1092-91fe-97d5-3a8bee77dfc7

Last edited:

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It can't be discounted how great it is to see everybody killing it right now. MS has had to fight tooth and nail after their awful start this gen and has done well in that regard I believe. Bless gamepass!

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Glad MS did well in Gaming

With Nintendo and Sony, all major constructor are healthy, that's cool

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Azure keeps thriving monumentally and adding in quite the amount of profit to the billions pool Microsoft earns every fiscal year.

4 billion for just the Xbox video game division despite low install base of the console + being down for the quarter is astonishing. Software services are driving the console forward and Xbox Live remains as profitable as ever.

Phil should be exiting this generation of consoles content as fuck with profit / revenue numbers like that.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I
It can't be discounted how great it is to see everybody killing it right now. MS has had to fight tooth and nail after their awful start this gen and has done well in that regard I believe. Bless gamepass!
MS as a whole is doing great now. Nadella his vision really paid off. Lucky for us is that Xbox is part of this huge growth and is along for the ride and makes its position within MS only stronger.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
.Hardware revenue decline of 19%
.31% increase in software driven from a software title

Interesting things to note.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Microsoft is no longer the Windows company. It's the Azure/cloud business company. Fact that Spencer was able to tie gaming to the cloud business is why the investment in gaming has gone up exponentially.

The increase in Xbox Live revenue is quite a surprise. I see Xbox Live holding back their platform agnostic approach so I wonder how they'll blend it into Game Pass in the future.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Hardware down, expected, and software and services up. Good year for Microsoft.

Wow at that Azure growth.

Surface showing impressive growth too. Driven by Surface Go launch?

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Azure is crazy. When is it going to pass AWS?

According to an analyst, no time soon as it is far behind AWS and does not give any other numbers for Azure other than revenue being flat, but grew 76%. Whatever that means.

I completely forgot about Fortnite and thought RDR2 was gonna be that third party title to drive the software revenue. I am still curious to see what gamepass is doing for the revenue.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
According to an analyst, no time soon as it is far behind AWS and does not give any other numbers for Azure other than revenue being flat, but grew 76%. Whatever that means.

I completely forgot about Fortnite and thought RDR2 was gonna be that third party title to drive the software revenue. I am still curious to see what gamepass is doing for the revenue.
my question is does Amazon split up their cloud compute revenue (on earnings)? that's the important part and what Azure is all about.

if no, there's really no point comparing them, tbh.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Great results considering the situation Xbox was in at the start of this gen. 11.5 billion in one year is fucking a lot.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

I'm not sure it will, Amazon has the most implemented cloud service that the US Govt uses.
Confused..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobevans1/2018/10/29/1-microsoft-beats-amazon-in-12-month-cloud-revenue-26-7-billion-to-23-4-billion-ibm-third/#5397cf142bf1
Microsoft's booming $8.5-billion in cloud revenue last quarter has helped it open a decisive lead over Amazon as the world's leading enterprise cloud provider for the past 12 months, $26.7 billion to $23.4$ billion.
So this article is incorrect? Is it how they work out the numbers?