• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I gave that video a watch.

She spends about twenty minutes thoroughly going down the pre-flight checklists, then has a ten minute flight where she takes off, flies over the city center and comes back for a really smooth landing on runway 26.

She's clearly an experienced pilot, but she has practically no comment about what she's doing when she's actually flying the plane.

The video really hits home the complexity and realism of the interface. It's a little intimidating.

I think it's only her second time or so playing the game. She just started making YouTube videos of the game as she was laid off during the pandemic so can't do her usual real life flights any more.

Oct 25, 2017
I have never played a flight sim before but I managed to take off from a local airport and crash into my own apartment so I consider that a success

Oct 27, 2017
Loosely related, but what's the best combat flight sim right now? Or the best option to take some military planes for a ride?

Seem to have narrowed my choices down to DCS or IL-2: Sturmovik but I don't know which of the two is better, or if I'm missing anything.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Loosely related, but what's the best combat flight sim right now? Or the best option to take some military planes for a ride?

Seem to have narrowed my choices down to DCS or IL-2: Sturmovik but I don't know which of the two is better, or if I'm missing anything.

Those are basically the only two combat flight simulators at all.

DCS is for modern jets and IL2 is for WWII planes. They are both pretty good, but you really don't have any other options.

DCS has some WWII stuff in it, but IL2 is the better WWII sim.

DCS is free, and it gives you a full SU25 jet to play with (that's a russian ground attack jet). You need to buy all the other jets if you want to fly them.

IL2 comes with about 10 WWII planes, and has 4 expansion packs that all have about 10 more additional planes each.

Oct 27, 2017

DCS is for modern jets and IL2 is for WWII planes. They are both pretty good, but you really don't have any other options.

Nice one thanks. Primarily I want to fly a Spitfire so.. sounds like IL2 is the better option.

GamerKingFaiz

Nov 15, 2017
There are two ways to do this. It's somewhat convoluted to access, but it beats downloading PDF files:

1. From the main menu world map

2. During flight in a plane with a G1000 flight deck system (e.g. Cessna 172)
Second method here is definitely preferable, because I usually look up the ILS freq midway through a flight. No way I'm remembering the freq from the world map. 😂

I assume this feature is present in all Garmin systems (e.g. the G3000 in the TBM 930).

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Second method here is definitely preferable, because I usually look up the ILS freq midway through a flight. No way I'm remembering the freq from the world map. 😂
This is why I keep a notepad handy, or just plug in the frequency as soon as I get into the plane, even if I'm an hour away from the landing.

I do also sometimes have a tablet handy that I can bring up SkyVector on, but half the time I leave it in the other room.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
53-A6-E599-083-E-4977-AA8-E-95-DAFEE5940-D.jpg

Not bad. I want to play with the settings so I can change altitude and VS in the same mode using spad.next.

otherlank

Oct 25, 2017

I assume this feature is present in all Garmin systems (e.g. the G3000 in the TBM 930).

You can also just load a procedure into the G1000 and it will populate and ID the nav frequencies for you. No need to even look them up.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia

DCS is free, and it gives you a full SU25 jet to play with (that's a russian ground attack jet). You need to buy all the other jets if you want to fly them.

IL2 comes with about 10 WWII planes, and has 4 expansion packs that all have about 10 more additional planes each.

Does IL2 have the option to just fly?
I don't want to get into combat, but I'd like to just tool around in a spitfire or a boomerang...

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Is ther a way to quickly remove all hud elements while in 3rd person flight ? And only reinstate them when I want on the fly?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
There is a analog on that throttle? What is the name/model of it?
Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS

There's also paddels on the back of it that function much like rudder pedals and can be used like them. I have my pedals mapped to my actual rudder pedals (CH Pro Pedals). The rudder also has twist axis, but I only really found that viable in Elite Dangerous, and even so the twist eventually gave out on me so I just use my pedals. For a while I was using the paddles on the throttle for yaw.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What MFD is that? Are you using headtracking and pedals too?

saitek multi panel. Most basic autopilot adjustments. With a tool like spad.next you can expand on what it does - eg I want to use the trim wheel to adjust VS while in alt mode. My HOTAS has an AP button and I can adjust heading/altitude on it, but I wanted the light up buttons to see the current status and the read outs

no pedals - can use the joystick twist for now. I saw a video about a cheap iPhone app for head tracking which I might try but for now I have an analog stick on the throttle which works well, plus the hat switch on the joystick for snap views left/right

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
k9uiqNr.jpg

Probably the best photo I've taken so far.

lol at the 46 frames rotated side ways. I play the game mostly at 60fps but I turned some settings up for this screenshot :)

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game, (this might sound dumb), but I wish it had some sort of career mode.

Not dumb at all. I find American Truck Simulator extremely compelling. I'm very hopeful for similar progression systems and other mission types to be added to FS2020 over time. Others have mentioned mod alternatives throughout this thread though if you wanted to explore them before anything official is brought in.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not dumb at all. I find American Truck Simulator extremely compelling. I'm very hopeful for similar progression systems and other mission types to be added to FS2020 over time. Others have mentioned mod alternatives throughout this thread though if you wanted to explore them before anything official is brought in.
have they mentioned anything about a career mode to be added on later on? I'm kind of new to the series, so I am not sure if it was in any of the previous irritations.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
This game is an absolute blast to stream in a friend group Discord. Spent the better part of my weekend just playing Flight Sim while chatting with friends, having me fly over their houses or visiting cities they've vacationed at. Performance takes a hit, but it's so worth it. Really outstanding experience with other people.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on updates for the game? Don't think I have seen one since launch? Have they listed anything that they plan to put into the first or next patch?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
have they mentioned anything about a career mode to be added on later on? I'm kind of new to the series, so I am not sure if it was in any of the previous irritations.

They have mentioned vague things about putting more "structure" into the game, but nothing specific.

No previous Microsoft flight sims have had a "career" like ATS/ETS. However, in the 90s SubLogic came out with a stand alone simulator based on the same codebase as the most recent MS Flight Sim at the time which was a full air freight/passenger career sim with an economy.

You should take a look at FSEconomy.com. Go to that website and they explain how to set it up. It is very good and free, and has a full freight/passenger hauling career where you earn money by flying in MFS2020.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017

They have mentioned some sort of job structure, we don't know what it is yet but they are working on something and they said was an important part

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
How's your performance? I had to shut down the multi-panel because of the break in SimConnect, performance was just horrific. They're fixing it in the patch.

oh it's crap - just wanted to set it up and check it worked. Playable but really stutters compared to not having sim connect.

actually - how do I disable sim connect or is it ok to just not have any apps talking to it? I think spad.next and fseconomy both use it?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
oh it's crap - just wanted to set it up and check it worked. Playable but really stutters compared to not having sim connect.

actually - how do I disable sim connect or is it ok to just not have any apps talking to it? I think spad.next and fseconomy both use it?
Just shutting down the app should do it. I'm using AxisandOhs (does the same as Spad in providing drivers for the panels), but that's what's talking through SimConnect, so as long as the app isn't running, the sim runs fine, and I can leave the multi-panel itself hooked up.

I do miss not having more direct control over those controls, though. Hopefully the patch will come in the next couple of days and I can start using it again.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having a grand time. Started off taking off in a runway in my town, and flying mostly north. Landing when it's time to quit for the day, then taking off from where I landed, slowly moving around America. Next up I'm going to start in Alaska and take the pacific coast all the way south to Panama and maybe completely through South America.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having a grand time. Started off taking off in a runway in my town, and flying mostly north. Landing when it's time to quit for the day, then taking off from where I landed, slowly moving around America. Next up I'm going to start in Alaska and take the pacific coast all the way south to Panama and maybe completely through South America.

Are you doing this using flightplans you make in the world map and following GPS?

If you want to have even more fun, plan your flights on Skyvector.com, and use VOR and VFR to navigate.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you doing this using flightplans you make in the world map and following GPS?

If you want to have even more fun, plan your flights on Skyvector.com, and use VOR and VFR to navigate.
I'm just dicking around, so no - but maybe it wouldn't hurt for me to look at those...I do have a long flight, would like to hit South Dakota before the end of the workday...

ganaconda

Jan 24, 2018
Does IL2 have the option to just fly?
I don't want to get into combat, but I'd like to just tool around in a spitfire or a boomerang...
There's also Prepar3D...which is also built on FSX, but has military aircraft (and combat in the more expensive version). If you don't care about combat, you can get the regular version to just fly around in the aircraft.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Sorry if this is obvious/has been asked. But is there a more "Freedom mode". Just want to fly to places I know without having to restart everything because my rutter was pulled too hard.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if this is obvious/has been asked. But is there a more "Freedom mode". Just want to fly to places I know without having to restart everything because my rutter was pulled too hard.
I know you can add coordinates as a departure point and the game will spawn you in the air at that precise location.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
You can definitely turn off failure and plane damage in the assistance settings somewhere if thats what you mean.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This is such a lovely way to play these games. I play Euro Truck Simulator in a similar way (although, unfortunately, those roads and maps aren't true to life). I installed a boatload of map mods to really expand the destinations and cities and made my way, slowly, all around Europe. Still aiming to make it back to my home city at some point! Currently somewhere in the South of Poland. I just tune the Internet radio to a local station and enjoy the roads.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I got a question for vets; is it me or the speed indicator for arrivals is way off? When I follow the blue box, I'm always a bit short of the runway. Or I guess I messed with the trim?

membran

Oct 27, 2017
As long as you have a destination airport in the flight plan in the G1000, you can load up a procedure using the Proc button. Select the approach and transition, and all the necessary navaids (if any) will be loaded for you into the nav radios

Hm, I just tested this a couple of times with the Beechcraft G36 (G1000) and it did not tune the NAV frequency to the ILS runway frequency. Not as active and not even in standby. It did set my approach though, adding new GPS waypoints. VOR1 was empty, no localizer or glidescope, although available for that runway.

That said, the G1000 is buggy as hell. The left display is prone to display glitches (non-disappearing selection windows, frozen FLP display), while looking up frequencies in "Nearest AIrport"-mode on the right display froze the whole flight sim for me - twice. Had to kill the process via task manager. I think it's because the airport list is sorted by distance, and in areas with lots of them, the list is constantly shuffling around while flying. It does not stay on the selected airport in that case, so it loads all the new data for that airport and centers it on the map. Apparently, that is too much for my CPU for whatever reason. Anybody else with this problem? I will try pausing the sim while looking up frequencies next time.

otherlank

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I just tested this a couple of times with the Beechcraft G36 (G1000) and it did not tune the NAV frequency to the ILS runway frequency. Not as active and not even in standby. It did set my approach though, adding new GPS waypoints. VOR1 was empty, no localizer or glidescope, although available for that runway.

That said, the G1000 is buggy as hell. The left display is prone to display glitches (non-disappearing selection windows, frozen FLP display), while looking up frequencies in "Nearest AIrport"-mode on the right display froze the whole flight sim for me - twice. Had to kill the process via task manager. I think it's because the airport list is sorted by distance, and in areas with lots of them, the list is constantly shuffling around while flying. It does not stay on the selected airport in that case, so it loads all the new data for that airport and centers it on the map. Apparently, that is too much for my CPU for whatever reason. Anybody else with this problem? I will try pausing the sim while looking up frequencies next time.
I'll have to test this out and report back. I've only had the retail release for 2 days and haven't done any IFR flying in the G1000 yet. One of my biggest gripes from the alpha was that basic avionics functions were missing from the G1000 and even the Garmin 430 which is a classic GPS.

My suggestions come from basic functions in the real G1000. It's designed to do practically all of the work for you. You are capable of looking up approach plates, frequencies, and weather information en route without needing anything other than the 2 screens in front of you. It's incredibly handy. It's frustrating that the sim isn't quite there yet but I understand it's a huge work in progress.

membran

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to test this out and report back. I've only had the retail release for 2 days and haven't done any IFR flying in the G1000 yet. One of my biggest gripes from the alpha was that basic avionics functions were missing from the G1000 and even the Garmin 430 which is a classic GPS.

My suggestions come from basic functions in the real G1000. It's designed to do practically all of the work for you. You are capable of looking up approach plates, frequencies, and weather information en route without needing anything other than the 2 screens in front of you. It's incredibly handy. It's frustrating that the sim isn't quite there yet but I understand it's a huge work in progress.

Please do. During my tests, I always had to tune to the ILS frequency manually. I've asked in a flight sim Discord and someone said it has to be a bug, the same with the main display getting stuck / frozen when displaying FLP windows.

The G1000 doesn't appear to be fully modeled, either. I don't have any real world flight experience, but I watched an autopilot tutorial the other day and the guy in there said there's several buttons that don't do what they are supposed to do. For example, apparently, in a real G1000 you can select any airport entry from the FLP page and hit the "direct-to" button as a confirmation of sorts to instantly set a course to the selected entry - doesn't work in the sim, that button will always bring up the "standard" direct-to dialogue, with the playing having to dial in the airport code from scratch via the dials. Also, the "menu" button apparently doesn't do what it's supposed to. In the sim, it only has a function in a few sub menus. I know it for a fact it works when the FLP window is active, but there, almost all of the options in the "menu" overlay are greyed out. You can delete the flight plan and you can activate a certain leg (only if you selected it prior to pressing "menu", otherwise, it's greyed out, too), that's it.

You said the G1000 could even look up approach plates. This seems to work to a degree (please note that I'm a total noob and may be spouting complete nonsense here) if you mean pressing "procedures" and then choosing "select approach". It will then populate new waypoints in a "approach" subsection of the FLP window and calculate a new GPS route that the autopilot will follow well enough. But it won't set approach altitudes for any of those new waypoints (I've seen those written down on SkyVector's plates). Each approach waypoint has a altitude column, but it's empty. Is this how it's supposed to be?
Edit: I've looked further into this and it seems like this is expected behavior when using glidescope. Is that correct?

By the way - apparently, you *need* to have a proper flight plan set up (departure and arrival airport at a minimum) to be able to select an approach. If you just start anywhere on the game world or delete your flight plan while flying, it doesn't suffice to just select an airport via the "direct to"-menu. If you do that, the "select approach" menu will be empty (you can't select a runway / transfer) despite you having an active GPS nav route to that airport. Seems like another bug to me, but I can't tell for sure. How does it work in the real G1000?

Edit 2: I've searched for "G1000" in several flight sim subreddits. There are lots of threads about it and the verdict seems clear - the in-game G1000 is buggy, causes performance drops and currently has half the functionality it supposed to have, possibly even less. It's on the game's development roadmap, but not currently marked as "in progress".

Last edited: