• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I still don't really understand how they are accomplishing this

One can only assume it involves an absurd amount of satellite imagery.
This looks simply astounding.

Azure mapping and geospatial services are powering this. :) The world data is being streamed down on the fly, as you fly. :p

You will be able to eventually download a higher quality local data, but only for specific regions, paths and locations.
Wouldn't surprise me if the full world data is not available for download, as IIRC one of the older and previous flight sim games had a few of TBs of world data.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
This type of thing is the future of games I think. Just massive sims that are modeled to be realistic where you can go anywhere do anything using high res geographical data - you add in VR and it's just something else. I recently got 'truck simulator' going on my VR set up and I love it with my wheel. Can't wait for this, esp if they add in a VR mode.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Azure mapping and geospatial services are powering this. :) The world data is being streamed down on the fly, as you fly. :p

You will be able to eventually download a higher quality local data, but only for specific regions, paths and locations.
Wouldn't surprise me if the full world data is not available for download, as IIRC one of the older and previous flight sim games had a few of TBs of world data.

Apparently this is approaching 2 petabytes of data for the full map of the world, so yeah, no one's downloading that anytime soon.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Map apps are going to look so fucking good in the future

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
  • It's 2 petabytes of map and world data
  • It uses real time weather
  • Landmarks and certain cities will have extra detail
  • You'll be able to determine the quality of the game according to your wishes (streaming, asset quality, offline play)
  • They are looking at VR
  • The third party modding SDK will ship somewhere this spring (I think march 2020?)
  • The game will include more than 40,000 airports around the world, to varying detail

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
  • It's 2 petabytes of map and world data
  • It uses real time weather
  • Landmarks and certain cities will have extra detail
  • You'll be able to determine the quality of the game according to your wishes (streaming, asset quality, offline play)
  • They are looking at VR
  • The third party modding SDK will ship somewhere this spring (I think march 2020?)
  • The game will include more than 40,000 airports around the world, to varying detail
40,000 airports? I remember not too long ago trying to have a 40,000 audience in sports games that never looked very good. This is quite amazing.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
That damn game is looking incredible Almost wanted to say that I would get it just because it looks so good but since its going to be on gamepass I dont even have to. Good times :)
Im just afraid that I might be too dumb to even get the plane in the air, will try it anyways though.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
That damn game is looking incredible Almost wanted to say that I would get it just because it looks so good but since its going to be on gamepass I dont even have to. Good times :)
Im just afraid that I might be too dumb to even get the plane in the air, will try it anyways though.
It will almost certainly have some flying-start options.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe MFS is back and in such great shape. Can't wait!

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
So uh... with this engine in their hands, I would guess it would beautifully scale down also to an over the shoulder character game but with huge worlds? MS won next gen already?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So uh... with this engine in their hands, I would guess it would beautifully scale down also to an over the shoulder character game but with huge worlds? MS won next gen already?

I don't think it works that way. :P

The magic here is Bing and Azure. If you'd want to build a third person game, you are better off using a different set of tools.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
8B3S4Ef.jpg

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it works that way. :P

The magic here is Bing and Azure. If you'd want to build a third person game, you are better off using a different set of tools.

Do we have closeup shots of the cities? Like landing a plane in middle of NYC and see how detailed it is? I think we could be surprised.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Do we have closeup shots of the cities? Like landing a plane in middle of NYC and see how detailed it is? I think we could be surprised.

You can see it starts looking like your standard Google Maps 3D images when you get close. It still looks insane, but some of the magic somewhat disappears.

The fact that the rivers are actually flowing and that cars are actually driving the roads still drives me insane. How have they done that..

Edit: Check the video at 10:20. You get a close up during landing.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017

You can see it starts looking like your standard Google Maps 3D images when you get close. It still looks insane, but some of the magic somewhat disappears.

The fact that the rivers are actually flowing and that cars are actually driving the roads still drives me insane. How have they done that..

Edit: Check the video at 10:20. You get a close up during landing.

Still insanely good looking. Now i wish i had DCS planes in this world :o I would just plug-in my HOTAS and VR and goodbye world.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a passenger mode? Like I used to ride at the back of the taxis in GTA IV and just enjoy the views of Liberty City lol

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Seriously thinking of spending a good amount of money so my dad can play this. We were just checking this Christmas his Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 he still has and he was super excited to install it again (he always loved planes). This will be mind-blowing.

Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad it's so reliant on streaming, although I understand why. My connection is terrible though so I can't stream this in HD, so will have to see how the offline mode looks or how long it would take to download a flight path.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
It's too bad it's so reliant on streaming, although I understand why. My connection is terrible though so I can't stream this in HD, so will have to see how the offline mode looks or how long it would take to download a flight path.

They've shown off the low bandwidth / offline mode already. Even while offline, you will have reasonably accurate VFR. Even offline, it looks to be above what other flight sims today offer. Details and video in their dev video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZL5PCZO8cc&t=5m20s

If you want to jump straight to the offline mode and comparison to other modes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZL5PCZO8cc&t=7m07s

Glassjaw

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Easily one of my most wanted games. Looks absolutely fantastic. Haven't played a flight sim in years. Can't wait to get lost in this.