• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Why would they only go with 16gb of system ram on their PC in the article? Its 2020 32gb or nothing.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
From what I read the game is largely based on the FSX engine so that might be why. I dont know but yeah the game chugs at Ultra but its okay at High def below 60 tho and thats on a 3600x/2070 Super
Running it at ultra turning AF down and super sampling off can get around 30fps on my 2080 super was in disbelief but definitely can see this being a benchmark for the next few card gens.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I really wonder how this game will pan out on console next year, both in terms of controls (because holy shit I don't think my keyboard has enough buttons to map everything) and in terms of graphics/performance.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I understand that they tried with an Intel solution, but what if we add more cores with Ryzen R9 39------

flightsim2020bokwh.jpg

Oh :(

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Or it may need optimization. What in the world CPU setup was Microsoft using in testing I wonder.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
If it legitimately has nothing it can do on another thread, then it's as optimised as it's going to get. You don't just simply "spread the load", multithreading simply does not work that way.

Each core has to be used as an independent sub process with different memory. If you have a set of tasks that are each dependent on the results of each previous task, then there is no parallel processing you can do at all.

Do you really think this is the case here though? I suppose it's possible, but we know DX12 usually performs better with mroe cores, thanks to better multi-threading support on GPU workloads processing, right?

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While i have 16gb of ram and 1070 nvidia card, it runs like hell, even on the lowest settings.
While lets say tombraider shadows runs fine.

Can it be that this game needs to be installed on a fast hard drive (ssd or hdd but fast)?

It stutters like crazy, some moments it works fine, but a lot of the time it isnt. Already have the latest nvidea drivers.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dear god. This is exactly why i missed on world of warcraft. Building a PC is just so intimidating.
Please note that big boy flight simulators are typically incredibly hardware intensive and very few hardcore sim players expect framerates on par with regular games. There's a LOT going on under the hood of a flight sim.

Compared to other major flight sims, FS2020's framerates are fine for something that looks so great. It's not the kind of genre that needs blazing framerates, although it would be nice to have.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
While i have 16gb of ram and 1070 nvidia card, it runs like hell, even on the lowest settings.
While lets say tombraider shadows runs fine.

Can it be that this game needs to be installed on a fast hard drive (ssd or hdd but fast)?

It stutters like crazy, some moments it works fine, but a lot of the time it isnt. Already have the latest nvidea drivers.
You definitely want this installed on an SSD.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Dear god. This is exactly why i missed on world of warcraft. Building a PC is just so intimidating.
I mean you can get a pc for 800-1200 thats serviceable that will play next gen games at similar specs. Of course that will change here in a couple months depending on which ampere cards are on par or exceed the 2080 ti

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Crysis' issue with CPUs was that the game was optimised for low core and high ghz, which was not the future of CPUs. We went high core/thread counts and not crazy changes in frequencies like Crytek though was going to happen - so they at least have an excuse for poor optimisation on current systems.

MSFS using 0-15% of my GPU over Display Port and 50-75% (with drops to 0) over HDMI is not ThE nEw cRySiS, it's a technical mess.
Woah.

I'm tempted to get the game but it'll primarily be used on a laptop - Core i5 8265u and an MX130 GPU. I'm guessing I'll be looking at 30fps at Low (if that), lmao.

I had no idea that it had such variable performance though, gracious me.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The 10-15 second freezing is pretty insane. What's funny is that it is a literal freeze... when it unfreezes, you don't jump ahead to where you would have been once the display refreshes. It starts up right at the point it freezed. I mean, that's "good", but it's still wild that this occurs. I haven't played with any of the settings, but I'm getting anywhere in the neighborhood of 30-55fps on an aging 4790K, 2070S, 32GB RAM, and a 4yo 850 EVO @ 1440p.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The game literally freezing for several seconds is a bigger problem to me. Happens on Ultra settings so I dropped down to High which increased performance significantly and it still freezes randomly. This is with a 1080 Ti, 3700x, 32 GB and it installed on a PCIe 4.0 SSD

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Seems weird for a MS game to still be on DX 11
They are wiser now than they were back at Win10 launch. If the dev doesn't have enough experience with D3D12 then it will most likely run considerably worse than its D3D11 counterpart and there is no reason to push D3D12 specifically. Also they kinda gave up on the idea of using D3D12 as a reason to move people from Win7 to Win10.

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I do not get any stuttering/freezing running i7-8700/gtx1070/SSD. I can run on medium at 70-75 outside of big cities, High 35-40, Ultra 25-30. In big cities subtract 10-20 fps depending on the size.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft Flight Simulator has, in my experience since at least '98, always been something that needs an upgrade or two to run at max settings at 60fps. But then again I always run mid-grade hardware (i5 and XX70 series, for example). I'm glad I'm getting at least 30 fps on the settings I'm running, and even at mostly-medium settings and 80% res scale it still looks soooooo much better than any other sim I've played.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I need to play it more to make sure it's not just some random issue with steaming or whatever - but what is killing me is how drastic the drop from High to Medium is. High looks great, but runs pretty poorly on my machine - and when I drop it to Medium it looks like an entirely different game.

Probably just need to take the time to sit down and actually tweak the settings instead of using the presets because I'm sure I could get it to look better without totally hosing my FPS. Just wish it was a bit more streamlined. (Silly thing to say about a Simulator but still)

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get 60 to 90 FPS on a 1070, 6700K, 16 GB ram at 3000 mhz, at 1440p with all settings at their lowest. And around 30 FPS with a mix / match of ultra, high, and medium. I have it installed on an m.2 nvme ssd. Honestly I have no complaints about the performance.

ShOcKwAvE

Oct 27, 2017
Carlsbad, CA
I suggest anyone here without a multi-threaded CPU consider upgrading. I flip PCs regularly and I can't stress enough how much people want to avoid the older i5s. Still, if you sell your old hardware for $100-200, someone will usually want to buy it for something basic (e.g. Minecraft).

Honestly I know some of you want to play max settings, but I wouldn't recommend going above High. Generally anything above that hits your system really hard for very little gain.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Serious question why would they go DX11 instead of 12? (outside of install base reasons)

I doubt DX12 is much of an install base reasons these days. According to the Steam survey the vast majority of the user base supports it. My guess is that it's what the team knew best and felt most comfortable with in terms of being able to meet deadlines.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Uhm, can you see other players int he game? 'cause I just saw a commercial jet take off from La guardia and then nosedive into central park. Was that a player or the AI?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Do you really think this is the case here though? I suppose it's possible, but we know DX12 usually performs better with mroe cores, thanks to better multi-threading support on GPU workloads processing, right?
Only if it's the rendering pipeline that's the bottleneck and not the simulation itself*. However DX11 does have support for multithreading already, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with a DX12 patch.

* Note that while graphical options do seem to have an effect on CPU usage, those options may be influencing simulation work the CPU has to do in advance, rather than simply "draw this at lower LOD".

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Has there been any word on the console version? I've seen it reported a lot but struggling to find anything from Microsoft

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Why are people even throwing everything to ultra in the first place. I just went with high at 1440p on a 2080 super/3900x and its been fine after takeoff.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get 60 to 90 FPS on a 1070, 6700K, 16 GB ram at 3000 mhz, at 1440p with all settings at their lowest. And around 30 FPS with a mix / match of ultra, high, and medium. I have it installed on an m.2 nvme ssd. Honestly I have no complaints about the performance.

Thanks i have the same kind of setup, but not installed it on a ssd. The main reason why it freeze i think.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks i have the same kind of setup, but not installed it on a ssd. The main reason why it freeze i think.
I still get freezes occasionally when flying into a new area, where the game basically pauses for a bit. The game just has to load in new stuff. This happens very rarely though and usually only when I'm flying into a really dense city. I just let the game do it's thing and give it time to load, then it runs fine again.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad a DX12 renderer is coming but the DX11 renderer should not have existed in the first place.

DX12 has only been out for half a decade, got to give developers time to adapt. /s

(Vulkan would be even better, but we all know that's politically impossible, even if it'd mean the game would run better and on more platforms).

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not out of the question to believe that unlike the contemporaries, this is a game not limited by render and thus going DX11 first makes every sense.

How does shipping a DX11 renderer make every sense? Closer to no sense.

Remember, they're having to write a DX12 renderer to ship the features the want, anyway. That's the bottom line here.

There's just really "it's what we were familiar with". Not good enough for 'makes every sense' in my view. I'd be more lenient if this was 2017, but it's not.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
How does shipping a DX11 renderer make every sense? Closer to no sense.

Remember, they're having to write a DX12 renderer to ship the features the want, anyway. That's the bottom line here.

There's just really "it's what we were familiar with". Not good enough for 'makes every sense' in my view. I'd be more lenient if this was 2017, but it's not.
Seems I missed the fact that they are going to ship a DX12 eventually, but I'll try to touch upon that the best I can (*also do not that I specifically said it makes sense if they're not bound by the rendering API, not other scenarios). I'm also not a render engineer, so unfortunately you'll have to make do with sort of a second-hand view, but from what I know:
- DX11 being more common and the team likely having more experience there means that you potentially can ship earlier (which publishers tend to care about rather lot)
- DX12 has proven to be tricky (for example in terms of crash rate, and even to this date UE4 is shipping with fixes to their DX12 render path and the editor can be quite crash-prone when run on the render path) and as earlier mentioned not necessary more performant if the game is not render thread limited
- Meaning the team can first focus on nailing the game and iterating on the visuals, rather than building on something that has potential to mean the game is not internally playable as much/early/often (and few things are as valued as much as build stability and iteration time)
- Shipping DX11 means you not only have a more stable build earlier, but when you do build DX12 you then get a solid baseline to work against (improving both perf and stability) while being able to direct players with issues back to a more stable DX11
- All these risks and investments that might not result in any performance improvements for a majority of the playerbase if they do not expect the render thread to be the immediate bottleneck for most people (really not sure what the case here is though), but instead could be tackled later with a more appropriate release cycle to get those additional DX12 dependent features in later

Obviously not all of those reasons are ideal (for example obviously you want your DX12 to be as stable as possible, but the reality is that you're going to have more issues no matter the effort you invest), but more of the reality of game developers have to work with. And obviously might've missed something else, but even with my limited knowledge any of those points could be very much something that could lead a team down the path of shipping a DX11 renderer at this point. But happy to hear other viewpoints and learn more.

Last edited:

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
A mod for this game is probably the only way we're getting a Superman game this century. Are there any in the works?

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
RTX 2080 Super

i7 9700K

16GB ram

Liquid cooled

I can maintain a constant 60 frames in the training sessions of the game, I guess because not a lot is going on, and both the GPU and CPU hover around 60-64% usage. Haven't flown around many other locals yet, but Los Angeles and Toronto both see frame rates of 40-55 and even that fluctuates a bit. At least the PC stays nice and quiet though, lol.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
This game revealed how old my CPU is. I get freezes that last a second or two, and the task manager is showing my CPU at 95%+ while my GPU is at 30% or so. I guess I need to upgrade. I may switch to AMD when that next generation comes out later this year.