• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I have a 10900X, 2080TI, 64GB RAM and I play in 1440P, the game automatically set everything to ultra but I'm lucky if my FPS stays in the mid thirties. I see 25% CPU usage and 50% GPU usage.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
The game is doing a hell of a lot more than just static graphics at a huge distance. The underlying sim, weather systems, live data, live traffic all at the same time. No single game/sim has ever had this much in a base game before, or looked as good. I've had so many "holy shit, that's beautiful" moments and I'm running on old gear at medium settings. MS has said this game is part of a 10 years plan to so optimizations are in the works as well.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The game's built-in fps viewer also tells you where the bottleneck is. My Ryzen 5 1600X and GTX 1080ti, I get 24fps at 1080p/ultra at SeaTac airport, one of the hand-crafted airports. It flip-flops between blaming my GPU and the "main thread", by which my guess is the speed of one cpu core. At 4k/ultra, it of course blamed my GPU as the primary bottleneck.

Note, where you fly makes a HUGE difference, I was getting 40fps over the hills of New Zealand. Also weather - clouds are expensive - and other planes flying around.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have an i5 CPU and a Nvidia 1060 6GB GPU in a PC that I built about 4 years ago. The game chugs dramatically even on Medium settings, and the tutorial was unplayable at High settings (which the game recommended after detecting my system specs). In a way, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's having issues. I know my PC isn't top tier, but it could run pretty much everything at 1080p, mostly at 60fps and 30fps at bare minimum.

This is the first game in years where I felt like it could barely run on my PC. And I don't want to drop settings to Low because I wanted to play the game primarily as a sight-seeing simulator. Can't get nostalgic for my old house if the graphics are on Low and I can barely see what my old house looks like.

I'm close to the same except I have a 1070. It takes a long time to load and even once the flight loads up it takes a minute for my PC to catch up. Right now I'm on Medium.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
the idea of this thing running on xbox one tho lol; that's gonna be a nice slide show simulator.
They actually talked about this, the optimizations they are making for the XBox One version aren't just dropping quality settings but improving the game code, they said they'll be able to patch those same optimizations to the pc version and give it a nice performance boost.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Yeah it's definitely the low CPU usage. While playing at ultra on my Ryzen 5 3600 and RX 5700 XT, in times of low fps the processor is still sitting at about only 60% use.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Game isn't even DX12 or taking advantage of CPU multithreading.

There's a lot that could be done to improve performance.

DX11 only in late 2020, on a Microsoft PC game? Come on man.
DX12 won't help if the game itself is (mostly) single threaded. It helps with parallelization of the renderer but this matters only when the rest of the engine isn't limited by single CPU thread performance.

I think that they'll add DX12 option later but I will be surprised if this will actually help with performance in this case.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
I see multiple articles mentioning a future transition to dx12, and I suspect given the long term nature of a Microsoft Flight Sim game, that it will be optimized eventually. That said if you find the current state unacceptable you should definitely not buy it until it is..

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I see multiple articles mentioning a future transition to dx12, and I suspect given the long term nature of a Microsoft Flight Sim game, that it will be optimized eventually. That said if you find the current state unacceptable you should definitely not buy it until it is..
This is even more proof that buying at launch doesn't make sense. Why would I pay 60€ for the game in this state when I can buy it later, in a better state, for cheaper?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
index.php

Looks more like, they don't utilize the CPU that good.
And why are they still on DX11? Source

Yeah, Steve from Hardware Unboxed just posted his video on the game and found the same thing. He said he's not going to include the game in CPU benchmarks as a result, but it's a good GPU benchmark.

Also, flying around NYC with a 2080Ti got him around 17fps at 4K lol

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. Build a 3600+2070 Super for my father and he plays on 1440p with 50-60fps, but very high? You mean ultra right? Game put him at high which is absolutely fine. Haven't pushed some settings cause I will visit him this weekend again, but on Monday it looked incredible at those settings.

If your posts is about the incoming VR mode then I don't worry. VR rendering is a bit different and even at medium settings it would still look incredible.
Nope i mean Very High, a step below Ultra. This game can kill my 3900X when i stream if i don't disable my UI on OBS :|

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I started playing the game and struggle to see why people call it amazing especially before you take off. Looks nice but not amazing to me.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope i mean Very High, a step below Ultra. This game can kill my 3900X when i stream if i don't disable my UI on OBS :|

I can't choose very high in the main screen? There is only low, med, high and ultra for me. I haven't looked into the advanced settings where very high surely is for all the options hmm. Strange.

Also streaming from the same computer explains it. We will now be at this part this generation again where you will need a streaming station (like me) or you will get bad FPS for many games. I can see that coming again.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
This will be the game folks are coming back to for years and years after upgrading their computers to see how it runs. Much like Crysis.

Such a beautiful game. I need a new PC to run this properly.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Not sure if hi framerate is necessary, it is slow flight and slow moving environment. Not sure, but i think resolution is important, i saw a couple of 4k trailers on youtube and it blew my mind. So yeah 4k is a must.

This is where I'm at. With my 3600, 1070, 16GB the game recommended high settings. I started out in 4k just to see how bad my aging gpu would chug and was surprised how well it ran. I turned on the fps counter in game bar and was getting 22-26 for the most part. The thing is when flying in a straight line it's not that noticable. In third person mode when moving the camera around you see it for sure but even then it wasn't unplayable or anything. At 1080p same settings I was getting 50+ but between the two I definitely prefer 4k. The terrain and objects in the distance almost look real. The youtube videos look good but it's even better playing it due the low bitrate or compression or whatever it is.

I've only put in an hour so far and only flew over medium size cities. Something like New York will probably not perform as well.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Here's a wild idea.... Don't play it on ultra the setting that means "Only run me on the highest end PC's for bragging rights and or bench marking" That or is targeted at future hardware

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
I can't choose very high in the main screen? There is only low, med, high and ultra for me. I haven't looked into the advanced settings where very high surely is for all the options hmm. Strange.

Also streaming from the same computer explains it. We will now be at this part this generation again where you will need a streaming station (like me) or you will get bad FPS for many games. I can see that coming again.
Dunno, i've the game set to italian and we have very low, medium, very high and ultra. Maybe a translation difference.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
But someone told me I can just turn down resolution in games and get 60fps guaranteed

Tho I'm curious, I have a 9700k and have been feeling envious of Ryzen owners, if this doesn't spread load very well I wonder if my CPU might do a decent job with this game.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Here's what mind looks like near the landing pattern in Tampa.

3700x
2080ti
32GB RAM
NVME m.2 970 EVO
1440p res scale 150
all traffic and ai online, and set to 50
ultra settings with all maxed on graphics option page

My cores are being put to work, but not in so much as I hoped would increase the framerate. Is the game using the cores to the fullest it needs? I had to increase the graphics settings and res scale to even get the GPU to get above 60%.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But someone told me I can just turn down resolution in games and get 60fps guaranteed

Tho I'm curious, I have a 9700k and have been feeling envious of Ryzen owners, if this doesn't spread load very well I wonder if my CPU might do a decent job with this game.

No need to be envious imo.
9700k is in many games the better option and it should be here too. Especially overclocked,

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
DX12 won't help if the game itself is (mostly) single threaded. It helps with parallelization of the renderer but this matters only when the rest of the engine isn't limited by single CPU thread performance.

I think that they'll add DX12 option later but I will be surprised if this will actually help with performance in this case.

I'm surprised so many posters are putting this much stock into DX12 in the first place. How frequently do we see a desirable implementation of DX12 for a title that was originally designed for DX11?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This makes me think what the requirements for VR will be if you want to play it at 90 FPS which is the bare minimum for VR lmao

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
It destroys a single core on your cpu and leaves the rest to sleep, not what i would call optimised.

The visual splendour only gets you so far, this is a poorly optimised game.

There's always comment's like this, do you even understand how difficult it is to make a game multithreaded, even in a simple game its really complicated to do and this game is inordinately more complicated. And even if you perfectly multithread the game there is still always going to be one thread that works harder because it has to manage all the other threads.

The fact this game does what it does looks like it does and runs as well as it does is a testament to how fucking well it runs. Looking at Task Manager graphs and somehow concluding that this game is badly optimised is fucking nonsense.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think those games are comparible, other than the plane part. Even on full on easy with all assists, MSFS is doing more sitting at an airport than AC7 in it's whole game.
I guess so, I shouldn't expect too much when you are on the ground for a flight game. I have only checked out my city which isn't the biggest to begin with....

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
As someone who knows nothing about PC's but wants to play this game. How much money do i have to spend to build a PC that can run it on max?
Mine cost about 3400$ that I built a couple months ago and it's running this like a dream. Have a 2080 TI and Ryzen 3950X. If you were smart tho and waited to built tell like next month for the same price you can get a beefier PC with the 3000 series that releases soon

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017

Yeah, it's very likely that performance will improve over time, but I think the DX12 implementation is more about running ray-tracing (DXR) than improved CPU performance.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It destroys a single core on your cpu and leaves the rest to sleep, not what i would call optimised.
Depends on how you compare "destroys" and "sleep". If one core is running at 80% and the other seven are running at 70%, does that qualify?

And yes, that's what I'm seeing on my rig. While one core is running higher than the others, the rest of them are by no means "sleeping".

If you have an example of any program that spreads its workload absolutely evenly across all available cores, I'd love to see it.

Back to the topic, yes, the sim is the new Crysis, not because it's having the same problems that Crytek had back in the day, but simply that this is the new benchmark meme. "Yeah, but can it run Flight Simulator?"

Also remember that this was made without considering the CPU limitations of the current-gen consoles, which is why CPUs haven't mattered in gaming much for the better part of a decade. Along comes something that actually uses modern CPUs to their full capacity, and people start crying that it's "unoptimized"... SMH.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Depends on how you compare "destroys" and "sleep". If one core is running at 80% and the other seven are running at 70%, does that qualify?

And yes, that's what I'm seeing on my rig. While one core is running higher than the others, the rest of them are by no means "sleeping".

If you have an example of any program that spreads its workload absolutely evenly across all available cores, I'd love to see it.

Back to the topic, yes, the sim is the new Crysis, not because it's having the same problems that Crytek had back in the day, but simply that this is the new benchmark meme. "Yeah, but can it run Flight Simulator?"

Also remember that this was made without considering the CPU limitations of the current-gen consoles, which is why CPUs haven't mattered in gaming much for the better part of a decade. Along comes something that actually uses modern CPUs to their full capacity, and people start crying that it's "unoptimized"... SMH.

Hardware Unboxed mentions the game limits itself to 4 cores. With my 3900x that's another 8 cores "sleeping"

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Yes it doesn't run with absolute flawless performance and I don't anyone expected to. A game like this doesn't necessarily need to either.

I'm sure there will be tweaks to performance in upcoming patches. Let's not get crazy quite yet.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If it legitimately has nothing it can do on another thread, then it's as optimised as it's going to get. You don't just simply "spread the load", multithreading simply does not work that way.

Each core has to be used as an independent sub process with different memory. If you have a set of tasks that are each dependent on the results of each previous task, then there is no parallel processing you can do at all.
This so much. Even as a non-tech person I've seen more than enough to understand that parallelization in games is in an incredibly difficult matter and there are limits to what you can do (especially on a budget that obviously won't be anywhere near of the top of the line contemporaries).

Also worth noting that while yes it's within the realm of possibility that DX12 could potentially help, as far as I know there's also nothing to say for sure that it's the render (thread) that's the bottleneck here. Not sure what the case is here, but I would guess that render runs on a different thread altogether (and behind game thread), so that potentially no matter how much you optimize that the game wouldn't run any ms faster on the screen. It's not out of the question to believe that unlike the contemporaries, this is a game not limited by render and thus going DX11 first makes every sense.

EDIT: And obviously the opposite could be true as well, for some reason it's the render thread that's the bottleneck and then no matter how you otherwise get core usage better, no performance impact would be seen and then something like DX12 could help a ton (but in that case I would reckon that would have been what they would have shipped first, unless the technical/schedule pains would've been too much for now).

Last edited: