• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has finally released Microsoft Flight Simulator on the PC and from the looks of it, there is currently no CPU that can run the game with 60fps on High or Ultra settings. This is currently one of the most CPU-bound games on the PC, and one that it really needs a new generation of CPUs in order to shine.

In order to test the game, we used an Intel i9 9900K with 16GB of DDR4 at 3600Mhz and an NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti. We also used Windows 10 64-bit and the latest version of the GeForce driver, version 451.67.

Since we currently have a 10Mbit connection, we've decided to disable the Photogrammetry Texture Streaming. With it enabled, we had major streaming issues on Ultra settings. On High settings, though, everything was working fine. Still, and in order to avoid any possible network limitation, we've decided to disable it for this initial test.

Microsoft Flight Simulator does not come with any built-in benchmark tool. Thus, we've decided to take off from New York City and fly above the city. This test scenario will, theoretically, stress both the CPU and the GPU. Do also keep in mind that this is among the worst case scenarios. As such, and when flying in less populated areas, the game will run faster/better.

www.dsogaming.com

Microsoft Flight Simulator is the new "Crysis", current-gen CPUs unable to offer 60fps on High/Ultra

Microsoft Flight Simulator is currently one of the most CPU-bound games on the PC, and one that it really needs a new generation of CPUs in order to shine.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
My 2070 Super does have a little cry whenver I fly over London during the daytime.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
It's not hard to make a game that'll overload a CPU. Without knowing whether or not all that power is actually being put to use properly, I'd hold off on calling something "a new benchmark" meant as praise.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overclocked 2060 Super, 32GB RAM, Ryzen 5 3600 and of course SSD. Game is usually below 60fps on High, though I haven't really customized the settings yet though, maybe there's some giant clog somewhere that I haven't noticed. The new benchmark?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
index.php

Looks more like, they don't utilize the CPU that good.
And why are they still on DX11? Source

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of that might be due to the API limitations of DX11 combined with the scope of the game.

But yeah, it's good to have a true hardware pusher again!

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Game isn't even DX12 or taking advantage of CPU multithreading.

There's a lot that could be done to improve performance.

DX11 only in late 2020, on a Microsoft PC game? Come on man.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
From what I read the game is largely based on the FSX engine so that might be why. I dont know but yeah the game chugs at Ultra but its okay at High def below 60 tho and thats on a 3600x/2070 Super

Dec 8, 2018
Is the game not running on DX11 and not even utilizing cores properly?

This sounds like some weird form of praise for a game that don't run well.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
the game is based on a really old engine (edit: maybe not), using a seriously outdated API, littered with bizarre anomalies like people reporting considerably better performance on different display outputs

its no crysis

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
From what I read the game is largely based on the FSX engine so that might be why. I dont know but yeah the game chugs at Ultra but its okay at High def below 60 tho and thats on a 3600x/2070 Super

That's not accurate at all. The original FSX engine was 32 bit.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Game isn't even DX12 or taking advantage of CPU multithreading.

There's a lot that could be done to improve performance.

DX11 only in late 2020, on a Microsoft PC game? Come on man.
I 100% agree, I was suprised to see it's a DX11 game, I took DX12 for granted.

Still, the game is an absolute wonder, it's incredible what they achieved.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
It destroys a single core on your cpu and leaves the rest to sleep, not what i would call optimised.

The visual splendour only gets you so far, this is a poorly optimised game.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
And considering this is BEFORE the ray tracing implementation and VR. Yeah good luck with that Asobo, see you guys in 6 years.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Crysis' issue with CPUs was that the game was optimised for low core and high ghz, which was not the future of CPUs. We went high core/thread counts and not crazy changes in frequencies like Crytek though was going to happen - so they at least have an excuse for poor optimisation on current systems.

MSFS using 0-15% of my GPU over Display Port and 50-75% (with drops to 0) over HDMI is not ThE nEw cRySiS, it's a technical mess.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Good to remember that Crysis was also really unoptimized for its time.

May 24, 2019
It's not that bad. I'm not trying to do 4k ultra 60fps, but I was doing okay on an i5, 8gb, GTX970. That's a mid-range 2014-15 PC.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the new crysis, it just has terrible CPU optimization. The game running on DX11 might be a reason for this.

An r5 3600 is giving you the same performance as i9 9900k (stock).
Even a 10900k at 5.2GHz is struggling in CPU heavy scenarios (this is at 664p). Mostly because it is running into single thread limitations.

flightsim2020bokwh.jpg

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, look at it. It's the most impressive game ever made.

It's really not. It's very pretty but it has far more limited scope than any of the other games in that conversation. It is rendering almost entirely static objects at long distance. It does what it does exceptionally well but it's no Crysis.

There's also nothing laudable about putting out a game that can't run well on any current hardware.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any plans to add DX12 down the road?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
index.php

Looks more like, they don't utilize the CPU that good.
And why are they still on DX11? Source
It destroys a single core on your cpu and leaves the rest to sleep, not what i would call optimised.

The visual splendour only gets you so far, this is a poorly optimised game.

From the article this thread is about:
Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-CPU-scaling.jpg

4 - 5 cores is all its doing

Def needs to spread the load better.......but this also pretty much cements that its the New Crysis.
Clearly they are designing this game for the 10GHz CPUs of the future.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that hard to write a program that doesn't use parallelism much and doesn't scale beyond 2 or 3 cores. That would kill any modern CPU quite easily, especially when you want low frametimes.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
If it legitimately has nothing it can do on another thread, then it's as optimised as it's going to get. You don't just simply "spread the load", multithreading simply does not work that way.

Each core has to be used as an independent sub process with different memory. If you have a set of tasks that are each dependent on the results of each previous task, then there is no parallel processing you can do at all.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
As someone who knows nothing about PC's but wants to play this game. How much money do i have to spend to build a PC that can run it on max?