• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Back in December, Microsoft announced that Microsoft Flight Simulator would be launching for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S later this year with no mention of the simulator coming to Xbox One. Now, Asbo Studio's Jorg Neumann has revealed that an Xbox One version might still be on the cards.

When asked about Microsoft Flight Simulator and the older Xbox console, Neumann told Eurogamer, "Obviously memory matters. Certainly on Ultra settings, you need a big PC - well, that's a lot, lot more memory than what you had on an Xbox One. So it's a journey, like most things, you know - let's get the Xbox Series X and S versions done, and then we'll look ahead after that. We never close doors, and there are other options, though it's a little bit too early to talk about it."

Eurogamer theorizes that an xCloud version of Microsoft Flight Simulator for Xbox One could be the way to go, with xCloud servers doing all the heavy lifting and streaming the sim to less-powerful consoles.

Microsoft Flight Simulator dev hasn't ruled out an Xbox One port (trueachievements.com)

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
evermotion_sl_01758_2.jpg

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Xbox One's CPU and HDD have ruled out a Microsoft Flight Simulator port.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Xcloud app on Xbox consoles seems like a no brainer. Kinda surprised we don't have that already, but maybe they're waiting for the server upgrades so it can be streamed at 1080p.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Really? Why dig yourself into that hole and not just have this as a reason to get an S or X when the game actually releases on consoles

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
well, nice to see that they are aiming the impossible ... yet ... it's kind of, how do i say, impossible ?!

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Flight Simulator the Telltale Game

An adventure game about being the copilot

Really? Why dig yourself into that hole and not just have this as a reason to get an S or X when the game actually releases on consoles

Flight Sim is cool but not a console seller

allongo

Jun 29, 2018
Xcloud app on Xbox consoles seems like a no brainer. Kinda surprised we don't have that already, but maybe they're waiting for the server upgrades so it can be streamed at 1080p.

I think they are working on it, it's just behind a iOS accessible web app and a windows 10 app on their priority list. They are probably planning on both upgrading the cloud servers and releasing an Xbox one app when they stop making cross gen games.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Seems like a waste of resource. I thought it would be a good selling point for the XSX (see my posting history), when someone asks for a short list of next gen Xbox exclusives.

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
A flight sim with a controller? Can this game be played like that? I thought it was made for hotas.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about that, it's niche sure, but there is absolutely an audience that would buy a $500 console for Flight Sim.

That audience would probably get it on pc and use the 500$ to improve their setups or buy more planes, airports or specialized controllers and accessories to play it with

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One's CPU and HDD have ruled out a Microsoft Flight Simulator port.

The HDD is fine. You don't need an SSD to run Flight Sim. It only requires an SSD for it's ultra settings, which obviously a console wouldn't be running. I play it with an HDD.

It's the CPU and the RAM most likely.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, the Xbox is $500, a PC to play Flight Sim would cost twice as much?

Flight Sims were pc centric for a long time. Any enthusiast of the genre most likely got a pretty decent rig for quite some time. Flight Sim isnt really the kind of game someone outside of the scene would want to buy an entire console for on a whim

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
A flight sim with a controller? Can this game be played like that? I thought it was made for hotas.

Game plays great with a controller. I have a HOTAS but 95% of the time that I play I choose to play with controller instead.

Works totally fine. Super easy to pick up and play. They nailed translating all of the controls to a controller.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I usually play with a HOTAS but tried recently with a controller and it worked really nicely, good for casual flying/sightseeing.
Game plays great with a controller. I have a HOTAS but 95% of the time that I play I choose to play with controller instead.

Works totally fine. Super easy to pick up and play. They nailed translating all of the controls to a controller.

Oh wow. That's impressive.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're waiting for XSX/XSS server blades to be deployed. Otherwise they'll be streaming from an XB1 to an XB1...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
From the quote, it definitely sounds like they mean an xCloud streaming version rather than making a native Xbox One version (which would probably just never happen).

let's get the Xbox Series X and S versions done, and then we'll look ahead after that. We never close doors, and there are other options, though it's a little bit too early to talk about it

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
They could do an Xcloud version like the cloud versions of Control and Hitman on Switch

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
'Console seller' doesn't necessarily mean something that moves 10 million hardware units.
For the niche audience, it's a console seller. Certainly my most anticipated game of 2021 by far, across all three mainline consoles.

By that logic any game that drives anyone to buy a console is a "console seller"
We all know how the term is usually used and flight sim doesn't fit it so i fail to see how it would be dumb to have it playable on x1 instead of "using it to drive series s/x sales"

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
That answer was about as non-committal as it gets, lol. It's not coming to Xbox One unless xCloud access does first - which Neumann even kinda obliquely alludes to. He even says they aren't going to so much as look at the possibility until the Series S|X version ships, when we'll be 10 months into the next console generation... and they are going to waste resources on a previous-gen port at that point? The fuck outta here.

There's just no way to run that game on a Jaguar CPU with DDR3 RAM. And if you managed to pull it off, the tradeoffs to do so would result in a game that was so hideous and dumbed down that no one would bother anyway.

I assume this answer is a version of "we have nothing to announce at this time", where Neumann isn't really authorized to make any declarations on anything beyond what they are currently working on, one way or another.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I think having a few niche product supports your main offering well. Honestly there's no main offering until the new Halo comes out, it's mostly Gamepass.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
If they say it long enough they can have the benefit of sounding good and have increasingly less interest of it actually happening.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Cant imagine a flight sim being played through a streaming service being a pleasant experience.

Flight Sim is super slow. A good amount of the time you're sat there not even touching the controls. A lot of PC players just play it at 30fps (because of the requirements for 60fps) and it's largely considered 'fine' to be played at 30fps compared to faster games.

It's exactly the type of game that would feel completely normal played through streaming imo. If MS felt comfortable enough to show off Halo 5 and Gears multiplayer as a test case for cloud streaming then Flight Sim should be a no brainer.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
On the one hand I would be interested in seeing that, but on the other that just seems like a waste of time and money.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Flight Sim is super slow. A good amount of the time you're sat there not even touching the controls. A lot of PC players just play it at 30fps (because of the requirements for 60fps) and it's largely considered 'fine' to be played at 30fps compared to faster games.

It's exactly the type of game that would feel completely normal played through streaming imo. If MS felt comfortable enough to show off Halo 5 and Gears multiplayer as a test case for cloud streaming then Flight Sim should be a no brainer.
Yeah, even hardcore framerate enthusiasts agree that playing a "pure" flight sim (not a combat sim) is OK at 20~30fps. Obviously they're not like "woo-hoo cinematic experience!" and would prefer higher framerates, but historically flight sims have always run at 15~30fps on most setups for various reasons, and players could deal with that due to how "slow" the gameplay is.

As long as a roughly 30fps is held, it's totally playable even for enthusiasts.