• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
uzAZGWL.png

Hopefully this is a placeholder price, £60 is ridiculous
jjwnUgD.png

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And I was going to get a rtx 3070 and call it a day...now it's a 3080ti i suppose *sign*

This is legitimately one of the few games I'm hyped for this year.

I never played flight simulators, do you need a degree in pilot or is there some kind of casual mode?

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for this!

I'm really bummed tho nobody makes Force Feeback joysticks anymore... I miss my late 90s Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Forcefeedback Joystick

Apparently, that's due to some company scooping up a bunch of patents for Force Feedback joysticks, and charging exorbitant license fees to use them. The good news is that the majority of these patents are due to expire soon, so we may start seeing them back on the market in the next couple of years.

Dijital_Majik

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful... good to know that's it's obviously very possible!

It's really amazing what talented members of the community have come up with to fill-in some of the natural shortcomings of vr in flight sims. Here are a couple more:

www.youtube.com

PointCTRL prototype test

Virtual Reality control device for flight simulations.Follow the development in the DCS Forum https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861

www.youtube.com

Increase Your Immersion In DCS: World with VoiceAttack and VIACOM PRO 2.5!

Using VoiceAttack with the Plugin VIACOM PRO really ups your immersion in DCS World by allowing you to use your voice to talk to the AI over your coms rather...

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, that's due to some company scooping up a bunch of patents for Force Feedback joysticks, and charging exorbitant license fees to use them. The good news is that the majority of these patents are due to expire soon, so we may start seeing them back on the market in the next couple of years.
Yeah, the Immersion patents/licenses have always been a giant pain in the ass (hello SISAXIS...)

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if asked before but I'm assuming this is on Game Pass on PC. If I get the Game Pass version, can I upgrade to the Premium version for the other stuff or do I have to buy the whole thing?

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if asked before but I'm assuming this is on Game Pass on PC. If I get the Game Pass version, can I upgrade to the Premium version for the other stuff or do I have to buy the whole thing?
There popped some upgrade thing to deluxe and Premium when the pre orders were announced. Its gone now. But probably will be back at launch.
Same happened with Minecraft Dungeons.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I never played flight simulators, do you need a degree in pilot or is there some kind of casual mode?
There are settings to change how "realistic" the controls are - the previews mention that you can run it with a regular Xbox controller, and it feels great. The DF preview specifically says that it'll never feel "arcade-y," but everything I've seen makes it look like what you're asking for is there.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This vid is the best so far imo. Showing alot of the menu and then starts flying a short flight arround Ontario wich he knows really well

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I really wonder what control scheme is going to be like for the eventual console version. Flight Simulator has an extremely complicated interface. Translating all the available options to work entirely on a controller is going to be a difficult task.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The power of the cloud finally at use with that texture streaming.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I really wonder what control scheme is going to be like for the eventual console version. Flight Simulator has an extremely complicated interface. Translating all the available options to work entirely on a controller is going to be a difficult task.

I could see controller really being limited to the more basic control methods and then the game just requiring a mouse and keyboard if you wanna get into the detailed complex control systems. The console supports mouse and keyboard just fine.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
How will the game handle downloads on PC? I tried to pre-download the game on Gamepass PC but it only downloaded 12 MB of data. I think that may be a launcher, and the rest of the game will be downloaded through that launcher, but I'm speculating here. Anyone knows?

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
How will the game handle downloads on PC? I tried to pre-download the game on Gamepass PC but it only downloaded 12 MB of data. I think that may be a launcher, and the rest of the game will be downloaded through that launcher, but I'm speculating here. Anyone knows?
Your speculation is right. As that is the case now with the alpha, closed beta.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Your speculation is right. As that is the case now with the alpha, closed beta.
Oh nice, thanks. So after the launcher is downloaded, we won't need the Windows store to download and update the game correct? This is what is giving me pause about downloading the game from Gamepass.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, starting price is very high for this. This is the best I have seen so far,

Mod edit: Removed affiliate link. Please do not post affiliate links, per the TOS

Last edited by a moderator:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
6,000 words about new features. It's coming to Steam! It's getting VR support! TONS of info in my article at Ars:

arstechnica.com

Flight Simulator hands-on: Microsoft looks different 20,000 feet in the air

The news is (mostly) great: VR, Steam, TrackIR, night flying, tons more.

Sam I just want you to know that was a beautiful written article. Sure, it was about a videogame (not even an opinion piece) but it was such an informative, easy read. Really enjoyed it.

My only complain is that for some reason the embedded Vimeo videos can't go fullscreen. Not really any point in providing 4k footage if it's stuck on a tiny box haha.

I'm very excited for this game, specially to get my dad to play it (he loved the old flight simulators). Great work by Asobo.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I've been captivated by this since the first few feature videos starting trickling out. While i'm super excited right now and during launch week, my habit of not sticking to it long term might mean I'll take it for a month long test drive on GamePass PC. If i still have the urge entering month 2 I'll be sure to pull the trigger on the whole package.

Easy to see that Microsoft is going to bring it quite a bit of people that are not into plane games/sims with this one.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Found them again

www.microsoft.com

Buy Flight Simulator Premium Deluxe Upgrade - Microsoft Store

This title does not support Korean, Vietnamese, Thai or Indonesian localization. The Premium Deluxe Edition includes everything from Microsoft Flight Simulator plus 5 additional highly accurate planes with unique flight models and 5 additional handcrafted international airports. The world at...
www.microsoft.com

Buy Flight Simulator Deluxe Upgrade - Microsoft Store

This title does not support Korean, Vietnamese, Thai or Indonesian localization. The Deluxe Edition includes everything from Microsoft Flight Simulator plus 5 additional highly accurate planes with unique flight models and 5 additional handcrafted international airports. Additional Aircraft...

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sam I just want you to know that was a beautiful written article. Sure, it was about a videogame (not even an opinion piece) but it was such an informative, easy read. Really enjoyed it.

My only complain is that for some reason the embedded Vimeo videos can't go fullscreen. Not really any point in providing 4k footage if it's stuck on a tiny box haha.

Thank you for the kind words, and to anybody else who read all of that. Ars's tech team is looking to fix the Vimeo embedding issue, so hopefully that'll be resolved soon.

Here's a fun tidbit: MSFS will have Achievements. None have been built into the pre-release version yet, but when you fly in the "bush trip," you have an option to "get back on track" and receive a clear map indicator of whether you're sticking with the flight path. "Doing this will void an achievement," an in-game notice says.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Only supporting the HP VR headset is so weird

Well it's a great way to sell the new headset, and it is WMR so MS has some stake in it. It also appears to be a timed exclusive so it'll probably support the rest later. But yeah, it's pretty lame.

It also seems like the Reverb G2 has about the best visual fidelity on the market; considerably better than the Index and at almost half the price, so it will definitely do a great job at properly showcasing the visuals of the game.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If anything Microsoft Flight Simulator is rather cheap compared to other flight sims.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Normally £40-50, £60 is the equivalent of about $80
Fair enough. As someone who lives in Canada, I know all too well the frustrations around arbitrarily paying more for goods.

I guess they just did a straight conversion then, hopefully a Steam sale will bring it down to a more reasonable amount for you.