• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious in what other industries are legal contracts broken and customers feel there should be no consequence for doing so?

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I think Epic doing this on purpose to add to their arguments to show an example to the public of how Apple's monopolistic terms of service can really screw a company, especially smaller companies who don't have enough money to sue Apple. I wouldn't be surprised that on the 28th that they does restore the store to their previous state and keep their lawsuit and use this as an example in their lawsuit against Apple in front of the judge.

Nothing like showing the judge how Apple's terms of service can really be anti-competitive by showing in real-time what happens.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure about that. Maybe it could happen, but we all know that Epic did all this because they think it makes a stronger case. Using the same logic, accepting Apple's terms would weaken their case. But I don't know much about legal stuff like that, so I don't want to get into that.

We do need to talk more about how a lot of things on Apple's side need to change, regardless of the lawsuit itself.
This isn't a debate. Apple wrote it in their argument against the TRO. It would go both against Apple's own terms, their own legal arguments and strengthen any suit against Apple alleging antitrust behavior.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I think Epic doing this on purpose to add to their arguments to show an example to the public of how Apple's monopolistic terms of service can really screw a company, especially smaller companies who don't have enough money to sue Apple. I wouldn't be surprised that on the 28th that they does restore the store to their previous state and keep their lawsuit and use this as an example in their lawsuit against Apple in front of the judge.

Nothing like showing the judge how Apple's terms of service can really be anti-competitive by showing in real-time what happens.

If you think Epic is this calculated and forward thinking you haven't read the emails that Tim sent Apple. He even referred to Apple's OS as Android. He was also shocked that Apple would have their legal department involved in conversations with him regarding contractual issues.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm dubious that Epic didn't in some way expect this to happen. I'm not a lawyer but I've had more than some FTC antitrust training (work for one of the major players in an industry that grows by consolidation with everyone changing hats all the time) and one of the biggest things always stressed in to not let a feud in one line of business cross over into another.

Apple can't argue any ongoing harm from Epic being able to support developers using Unreal Engine on iOS. They've cut off Epic's ability to conduct business directly through the App Store already and Apple is in no way injured by or even party to Epic's deals with UE devs. This is Apple trying to hurt Epic's other LOBs in retaliation for a contract infraction in one specific LOB.

Maybe I'm just way too cynical but I kind of wonder how much Epic's actions (and now MS') have hinged on their legal counsel expecting Apple to do something like this. If not they could just hit the reset button in a month with another Fortnite update. Instead Apple has given them a far more substantial abuse of the walled garden to try in court.
Do you mean you think Epic might have baited Apple into an approach far more compelling to an anti-trust suit?

I'd thought it kinda funny that the result was worse than the original point Epic we're making, but I'd not considered this was their game.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
If you think Epic is this calculated and forward thinking you haven't read the emails that Tim sent Apple. He even referred to Apple's OS as Android. He was also shocked that Apple would have their legal department involved in conversations with him regarding contractual issues.
Whatever you may think of Epic and Tim in particular, there's 0 reason to believe they aren't fully aware about what they got themselves into legally and financially speaking.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is an about what's fair. That's what the lawsuit is about, and where Epic should've started from.

This is about Epic engaging in a ridiculous PR stunt, and weaponizing gamers (a group that is notoriously easy to weaponize), and Microsoft joining on the bandwagon.

I agree that some of Apple's rules are stupid, but for Epic to suddenly break their contract after a decade of working within its boundaries, and then turning this into, "Look at what Apple is doing to Indy developers!" nonsense.

Epic knowingly chose this route. They knew what the results would be. And they're free to undo it and keep developer access if they play according to the rules they agreed to play by (while fighting to change those rules in the courts).

People taking Epic's side here are being their useful idiots.
I'm just going to disregard that super disrespectful last line and refocus on the fact that we're not discussing the issues enough because of "Apple vs Epic."

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
This is an about what's fair. That's what the lawsuit is about, and where Epic should've started from.

This is about Epic engaging in a ridiculous PR stunt, and weaponizing gamers (a group that is notoriously easy to weaponize), and Microsoft joining on the bandwagon.

I agree that some of Apple's rules are stupid, but for Epic to suddenly break their contract after a decade of working within its boundaries, and then turning this into, "Look at what Apple is doing to Indy developers!" nonsense.

Epic knowingly chose this route. They knew what the results would be. And they're free to undo it and keep developer access if they play according to the rules they agreed to play by (while fighting to change those rules in the courts).

Imagine still not understanding the issue.

Nobody over the last few pages is "taking Epic's side." Anyone in this thread at all?! There is clearly a group of people who are well-informed on these issues and understand long-term consequences of monopolies and anti-competitive practices. The hope is that Epic, or better yet a larger group of developers (big and small), or even better yet legislative bodies will cause Apple to change it policies which are detrimental to consumers and various industries.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how MS/Sony would react if Epic decided to add direct payments to Fortnite on their systems too.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
when did i say i used spotify?

did you.... google my username to see if it had a spotify account?
you literally made a thread about using Spotify 4 months ago here on Resetera dot com. it's not a big deal, unless you want to keep suggesting that people should be picking best payout on the market for devs over their user experiences.

www.resetera.com

How do you find new music?

I used to be good at being active in scenes and actively pursuing new music, but since being in self isolation I've really come to notice how little I actually do that anymore and how much I heavily rely on Spotify Discover to lead me to new bands and songs. But being at home has also kind of...

braisbr1

Oct 4, 2019
Apple isn't a monopoly, Google disbanded Epic's publishing for the same issue, and Epic still sued Google saying that they should get rent-free use of the Play Store. After lying about not asking for special deals, when we see they did lay out terms for special treatment in June via email to Apple. Epic is here for their own money, not to help anyone.
Even if that is true, Epic winning the case could lead to the opening of the IOS environment - and Android for that matter. So even if your sentiment of Epic being here for their own money is true, the precedent this will create before the law is far more important to us users.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
you literally made a thread about using Spotify 4 months ago here on Resetera dot com. it's not a big deal, unless you want to keep suggesting that people should be picking best payout on the market for devs over their user experiences.

www.resetera.com

How do you find new music?

I used to be good at being active in scenes and actively pursuing new music, but since being in self isolation I've really come to notice how little I actually do that anymore and how much I heavily rely on Spotify Discover to lead me to new bands and songs. But being at home has also kind of...
oh so you just went through my post history. still pretty weird my guy

and it also does not really have anything to do with my argument at all? i'm saying that a user having to download a free app is not comparable to a company having to give up 30% of their revenue

that's not even close to being the same

maybe dig back further through my posts maybe you'll find the contradictory gotcha post you're clearly looking for

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see how the Fortnite issue has to do with dev tools. There's already precedent with companies entangled in a legal battle on one issue but continuing to be partners on other things. When Apple sued Samsung and took them to court over phone design issues, Samsung didn't retaliate and stopped producing screens for iPhones or stopped supplying RAM chips. The Fortnite iOS conflict doesn't justify this type of retaliation IMO. It just seems childish to me. Specially when it has the potential to impact other devs and even Apple themselves in the long run with certain games just not being available on their platform.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
people can still see your posts if you make your profile private and having an open profile is not an invitation to have people trawl through your post history to try to get a one up on you

FOH with this
I know this is the Internet, but it's ok every once in the while to say, "yeah, good point, I should have expected them to do that". That said, that's a good point, I also don't like people trawling through posts for a one-up. Thus, I make my shit private.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I know this is the Internet, but it's ok every once in the while to say, "yeah, good point, I should have expected them to do that". That said, that's a good point, I also don't like people trawling through posts for a one-up. Thus, I make my shit private.
what?

they literally didn't make a good point?

also your post history is still visible even thought your profile is private. you just need to hover over your username and then click the number of posts and you can still see the entirety of your post history

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean you think Epic might have baited Apple into an approach far more compelling to an anti-trust suit?

I'd thought it kinda funny that the result was worse than the original point Epic we're making, but I'd not considered this was their game.
Who knows, but up to this point the risk for Epic was pretty modest relative to the reward.

Consider Apple's stance on this: reverse the payment change and you're back on the store and in the dev program. The most recent data I could find in a quick search was from 2018 (though Fortnite isn't less popular now by any means), but at that time Fortnite on iOS was $1.23M a DAY. Apple gets 30%. If its only still meeting those numbers despite increased distribution and popularity thats $134M a year for Apple. They might be worth trillions now but they didn't get there by passing up hundreds of millions.

Meanwhile Fortnite players who already had the app are still playing and paying, just directly to Epic and at only 20% less than full freight, i.e. Epic is netting 10% more per purchase.

I'm not big on conspiracy theories but I wouldn't be surprised if the view from Epic was that they had enough legal standing to test boundaries with limited risk and potentially a whole lot of reward, so why not see how Apple responds? Lo and behold we have this latest action, concurrent with Apple's WordPress snafu. While the later is resolved collectively they begin to build a worthwhile narrative that Apple is in fact engaged in anti-trust, just on such a level that most partners self-police so it never needs to be made explicit.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't see how the Fortnite issue has to do with dev tools. There's already precedent with companies entangled in a legal battle on one issue but continuing to be partners on other things. When Apple sued Samsung and took them to court over phone design issues, Samsung didn't retaliate and stopped producing screens for iPhones or stopped supplying RAM chips. The Fortnite iOS conflict doesn't justify this type of retaliation IMO. It just seems childish to me. Specially when it has the potential to impact other devs and even Apple themselves in the long run with certain games just not being available on their platform.
the dispute is with a company, Epic, saying they are now and in the future unwilling to comply with App Store rules, and since Epic maintains licenses across many other apps, they can't continue those services to other devs using the App Store.

Also you are wrong, Samsung went ham trying to kill iPhone entirely instead of just seeking a stop to a specific part or patent use in future devices

Samsung Seeks Ban on Apple Products Sale in U.S.

Samsung Electronics Co. said that it expanded its legal tussle with Apple Inc. by filing a complaint with the International Trade Commission seeking to stop the sale of key Apple products in the U.S.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
what?

they literally didn't make a good point?

also your post history is still visible even thought your profile is private. you just need to hover over your username and then click the number of posts and you can still see the entirety of your post history
Ah, well there it is. I always figured everything was knotted up if you made it all private. I'm a big privacy dork, and I didn't know it was all viewable by clicking post count. Appreciate you letting me know, be well dude.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
All of this because Epic is so greedy that they didn't pay the $299 for a stand-alone Apple Developer account for the Unreal Engine and use their main account instead.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Ah, well there it is. I always figured everything was knotted up if you made it all private. I'm a big privacy dork, and I didn't know it was all viewable by clicking post count. Appreciate you letting me know, be well dude.
Side note, while I didn't know about the "click post count" thing, seeing as there's a search function that lets you search for posts by specific usernames only, I would have assumed a practical lack of privacy either way

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Are people really trying to pretend that Epic had no clue what was going to happen? That Apple are just being petty? Come the fuck on. I have no horse in this race but it's pretty obvious Epic knew exactly what they were doing and were trying to leverage both Fortnite's popularity with gamers and UE4's popularity with devs to force Apple to budge.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
You guys are legit blind and only see what you want. There is a bigger picture but you guys have your blinders on.
For sure there is a bigger picture. But While Apple are scummy, Epic too used a scummy way to go through this. Why can't you see that people just don't wanna side with Epic rather than it seeming to you like Apple to them is somehow not scummy overall. You can't expect others to empathize with a company or even think of them as trojan horse for a company that used such an underhanded and disgusting way to bait apple and now is using young minds to rally against apple with cringe skins in fortnite.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020

On point. Epic could have handled this much better. It's too much of a PR stunt.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
MS recognizes that a disruption in the development of Unreal engine will affect their bottom line. That doesn't really help Epic's case.

Epic should remove the offending payment plans while they try their case. Whether you agree with their overall case or not, they are signaling that they are willing to sacrifice their business partners to be used as leverage for their own purposes. I would personally be incredibly wary of starting any project using Unreal until Epic resolves this issue and makes further assurances that they won't behave this way again in the future.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, Microsoft needs to demonstrate ways that they are opposed to other companies' potentially anti-competitive actions as part of their own anti-trust investigations. Plus the longer Unreal is in limbo for Mac and ios the more money they stand to lose as collateral damage.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Apple preventing unreal engine from being updated will screw over a lot of developers. It's a petty move.
Completely disproportionate response by Apple so fuck them. Not a surprise coming from that company.
The problems stem with Fortnite and actions were taken against that.
Further penalties beyond that seem petty and baseless

Apple's TOS clearly state that, if you violate their guidelines, your developer accounts can be suspended or terminated.
Epic willfully violated the TOS.

When you sign up to use middleware, rather than develop your own tools, you are jumping into someone else's boat, rather than building one yourself.
This is fine in most cases, and it saves you the time and trouble of building a boat.
However, if it's your own boat, it'll only sink if YOU mess up.
When you're in someone else's boat, it might sink for reasons beyond your control, and if it does, you're screwed.

Apple is right in the fact that this entire situation was created and orchestrated by Epic. If they are willing to sacrifice all of their iOS developers just to try to get a bigger piece of the pie, that says something about their business, and I hope it impacts the number of developers looking to harness Unreal Engine in the future.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
the dispute is with a company, Epic, saying they are now and in the future unwilling to comply with App Store rules, and since Epic maintains licenses across many other apps, they can't continue those services to other devs using the App Store.

Also you are wrong, Samsung went ham trying to kill iPhone entirely instead of just seeking a stop to a specific part or patent use in future devices

Samsung Seeks Ban on Apple Products Sale in U.S.

Samsung Electronics Co. said that it expanded its legal tussle with Apple Inc. by filing a complaint with the International Trade Commission seeking to stop the sale of key Apple products in the U.S.

But Samsung tried fighting back within the same issue Apple were suing them for: Alleged design copying.

Apple is fighting Epic by hitting them with some other unrelated issue. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
User banned (1 week): hostility toward other users
Anyone else is in utter disgust from all the Apple bootlickers here?

Good move from MS, more companies should join in.