• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
b1umc46owxv31.png

Not sure what it is, but it's from Microsoft and Picross came to mind...

I'm wondering if we're allowed to discuss puzzles in a gaming forum?

Update:

It's not Picross!

UPDATE 2:

It appears that some of the data have been corrupted due to age. Fortunately, the corruption seems to be systematic—we detect exactly one extraneous number in every horizontal and vertical clue.

UPDATE 3:

Someone mentioned this might be a colorized nonogram, not Picross.

Last edited:

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a picross. The 4th horizontal line from the top (among others) would be impossible

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a picross. The 4th horizontal line from the top (among others) would be impossible
Second from bottom as well. Curious at the significance of the colours, also.
EDIT: Both of those lines could work if blocks with different colours can be placed consecutively.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
That bottom row makes no sense, it's asking for 13 black spots to be filled in horizontally, but there's only 9 columns that would allow for it. I don't think it's Picross, the more I look, the more stuff doesn't add up. That, or they don't understand how color picross works.

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
Second from bottom as well. Curious at the significance of the colours, also.
EDIT: Both of those lines could work if blocks with different colours can be placed consecutively.
6th from the top doesn't work even with consecutive colours unfortunately, there's something else going on

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
I have faith that the great minds at resetera will solve this mystery.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That bottom row makes no sense, it's asking for 13 black spots to be filled in horizontally, but there's only 9 columns that would allow for it. I don't think it's Picross, the more I look, the more stuff doesn't add up. That, or they don't understand how color picross works.
I see what you mean now. Only 9 columns end in black. Maybe blocks with numbers in them count for greater?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Given the text on the grid, I think it's reasonably safe to assume that there's a twist in this somewhere. This isn't a picross in a conventional sense. I'd need to puzzle on it some more to try to figure it out... although I do acknowledge a little suspicion that it turned up on the day of trick or treat!

I've been getting interested in twisty puzzle hunt puzzles lately, I've been toying with making a thread about them, because when you twig a nice twist, it's a beautiful moment.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Even with colour picross rules the 2nd bottom row doesn't work. The blue would have to start on the 4th box which doesnt leave enough room for the rest

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, one avenue that we can start with exploring is to check that horizontal and vertical are simply balanced; that the total of a given colour matches on both sides. Red totals 10 on each, so that's okay.

The point of this exercise is to establish, even if it's not Picross directly, whether it's something directly picross-esque; that is, if the numbers don't match, it confirms that they're not there for simple direct triangulation.

I should also bring up the boring but real possibility: I have previously got stuck for some time on a puzzle before finding out that the part I was getting stuck on... was a misprint!

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
So if there's an extra number, then we can start with the 6th row from the top, I think. We have to remove one of the 3s, and the blue 3 should be removed because it's next to a blue 2.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If one number is wrong in every column, then the reds can be easily solved. Not sure if that's right, but it's a start

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
If this is how I think it works, bottom row is 6 2. Look at the bottom edge of the top numbers.

The remaining sides should be easy?

EDIT: I guess that's assuming that none of the bottom ones are removed. Fuck.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you guys assuming consecutive colors aren't allowed?

We can't assume it's picross rules.
The only reasonable way I can see to proceed is to make assumptions about the rules and then operate under them until they prove irreconcilable with the puzzle.

We're not actually making many big assumptions here. It looks like a colour picross, and at least so far, the only difference seems to be the one stated in the reddit post, "exactly one extraneous number in every horizontal and vertical clue."

Still solving, but progressing steadily. I'm slow though. But it's working so far.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Don't know what it is but it makes me feel stupid. I support you guys.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I solved it? At least following normal picross rules and eliminating one number per row/column, but I didn't do anything with the numbers and letters on the grid. It looks like the earth was turned into the letter Q and part of it was red for some reason

Looking at reddit, it's easier to tell what it is when it's small, it's the earth with a magnifying glass in front of it

sneAvTZ.png

bUNU5Wc.jpg

If this is correct, then the following letters are inside of the icon
A
C
M
N
E
A
I
S
S
P
V
D
E

and the number 0

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I solved it? At least following normal picross rules and eliminating one number per row/column, but I didn't do anything with the numbers and letters on the grid. It looks like the earth was turned into the letter Q and part of it was red for some reason

Looking at reddit, it's easier to tell what it is when it's small, it's the earth with a magnifying glass in front of it

sneAvTZ.png

bUNU5Wc.jpg

If this is correct, then the following letters are inside of the icon
A
C
M
N
E
A
I
S
S
P
V
D
E

and the number 0

Nice. The icon certainly looks correct. And rather like the Windows XP web search icon.

WinObs

Oct 31, 2019
I was following up on this when I got up and found over on Reddit that someone had figured out the text to be "On Windows 95 this kit installed IE1" - that was the Internet Jump Start Kit - so if you go to http://aka.ms/InternetJumpStartKit you will see the results. No explanation was posted on how they got there but it does seem to be the right answer for this latest hunt.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Reddit has already solved this part unforunately.
You get a picture of a magnifying glass looking at the globe. When you figure out what theextra number is in each row/column then that tells you waht letter to look up in the nongram. The letters spell out something like "it was used to install IE1" which was called the internet jumpstart kit. When you go to the MS page for that it takes you to a picture of an easter egg