• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
When Gamepass gets fully rolled out to TVs etc, the growth is going to accelerate even further. It's such a strong strategy, having so many points of entry. PC Gamepass is going to grow with the Riot additions too. Such an under-rated "E3" moment.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
And any investor who doesn't think the division will struggle with growth going forward would literally have to ignore what Microsoft itself said. Amy Hood said the Gaming division would have another year-on-year decline in the next quarter.
any real investor would look at market wide conditions and recent historical data to see what the growth rate was compared to last year , three years ago and whether the trend lines are problematic or a market correction due to unforeseen exploding growth during global lockdown orders and extra discretionary income streams being diverted from entertainment and eating out into video games and THEN seeing that other streams of entertainment like concerts / movies and restaurants opening back up which naturally would pull that extra discretionary income back out of gaming

Is this not "good"? Sure. Is it a major cause for concern? Not in the slightest and if you are personally worried I'll take your MS stocks off you for a good price

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Will wait for other companie's FY reporting, but this does not seem very good. Gamepass subscribers go up, but revenue is down?

Isn't this the ongoing fear? Unsustainable growth?

It's more likely a post-covid boom correction + general market downturn + no major software releases

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It's an interesting situation where basically everyone can proclaim "victory". MS can say they are market leader in NA based on next gen unit ssales, Sony can say they are market leader based on Revenue and Nintendo can say they are market leaders based on Unit sales. Great times ahead imo.

Sony's hardware revenue will always be tough top because the average price of a PS5 is significantly higher than the switch and notably higher than the Series X/S thanks to large shipments of the cheaper Series S

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Sony's hardware revenue will always be tough top because the average price of a PS5 is significantly higher than the switch and notably higher than the Series X/S thanks to large shipments of the cheaper Series S

Same can be said the other way around. Difficult for Sony to top Xbox unit sales, when they have a 299$ machine that isn't impacted by shortages as the Series X and both PS5.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
What some people are ignoring is how high the highs were last year. I think Capcom just released numbers and it's way down year over year.

I would like to know the number of GamePass subs. Did Halo add a lot? We don't know.
Maybe for a month or two, I'd imagine there wasn't much impact after that. It's pretty much steady as she goes until 1st party starts rolling out more steadily, Xbox dongle and Game Pass built into TV's. That appears the strategy going forward to get Game Pass available on as many options as possible. Once games like Call of Duty hit Game Pass we will see large increases. That's the key, getting it out there the value it offers to the mainstream gamers.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Gamepass gets fully rolled out to TVs etc, the growth is going to accelerate even further. It's such a strong strategy, having so many points of entry. PC Gamepass is going to grow with the Riot additions too. Such an under-rated "E3" moment.
Yeah. I don't have an XBox (never have) but I'd be willing to join the ecosystem if it's available on my TV. Especially in the next few years with the further growth of internet for better game streaming.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Same can be said the other way around. Difficult for Sony to top Xbox unit sales, when they have a 299$ machine that isn't impacted by shortages as the Series X and both PS5.

I'd say it's tough to say what unit sales of PS5 and Series X|S would be without shortages.

But we can say with certainty that PS5 revenues would always skew higher, since they are already higher despite selling fewer units than anyone else.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
GP numbers increasing is what matters most.

They have shot arrow in the dark with GP hoping it hits. So far so good.

Next year should see substantial growth in GP i think with hopefully some AAA games from MS.

Hardware well, not a chance. People`s primary console will be PS5 ofcourse, not all will buy a secondary console so hardware could see more down.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
GP numbers increasing is what matters most.

They have shot arrow in the dark with GP hoping it hits. So far so good.

Next year should see substantial growth in GP i think with hopefully some AAA games from MS.

Hardware well, not a chance. People`s primary console will be PS5 ofcourse, not all will buy a secondary console so hardware could see more down.
What a weird comment. Lots of people's primary or only console will be an Xbox lol

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
When Gamepass gets fully rolled out to TVs etc, the growth is going to accelerate even further. It's such a strong strategy, having so many points of entry.

Eh, I dunno. Who is that for? I would say no casual gamer is going to do that, so maybe you'll have some people with pc's and other consoles doing that. But if you have a good PC hooking that up to the tv is a better option, and at least over here the experience still isnt great for people used to the low latency of local.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Eh, I dunno. Who is that for? I would say no casual gamer is going to do that, so maybe you'll have some people with pc's and other consoles doing that. But if you have a good PC hooking that up to the tv is a better option, and at least over here the experience still isnt great for people used to the low latency of local.
how can you not see a casual being interested in a zero cost, convenient way to play Fortnite on the TV? Simply by just increasing the availability of the service at low friction/convenience you'll see growth in adoption.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
how can you not see a casual being interested in a zero cost, convenient way to play Fortnite on the TV? Simply by just increasing the availability of the service at low friction/convenience you'll see growth in adoption.

A casual who also has a smart tv that supports this and a fast internet connection, but no other console or way to play fortnite? No I cant see that.

Edit: I see that you can already do this with geforce now, and I dont think that is setting the world on fire for casuals.

Jun 16, 2019
any real investor would look at market wide conditions and recent historical data to see what the growth rate was compared to last year , three years ago and whether the trend lines are problematic or a market correction due to unforeseen exploding growth during global lockdown orders and extra discretionary income streams being diverted from entertainment and eating out into video games and THEN seeing that other streams of entertainment like concerts / movies and restaurants opening back up which naturally would pull that extra discretionary income back out of gaming

Is this not "good"? Sure. Is it a major cause for concern? Not in the slightest and if you are personally worried I'll take your MS stocks off you for a good price

Majority of the investors of MSFT are not holding the stock because of the gaming division. The growth rate of Xbox game pass has slowed down since a year ago. They were not able to reach their projected gamepass growth rate even during the pandemic. Amy Hood, the CFO, also said during the last quarter earning reports that the Xbox contents and service revenues were up but still below expectations. This was the quarter that saw Halo Infinite and Forza released during the holiday. The gaming division still behind on growth and expectations but overall MSFT as a company is still doing very well because of their other products and markets they are in.

Last edited:

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

I think you've sort of answered your own question. It is precisely the casuals that will try this. Casuals simply won't have a PC powerful enough to play most games, or indeed own a console. Also, even typing the words "connecting your PC to your TV" would be too much effort for most casuals, let alone doing it. It is those who have neither but are interested in trying out gaming that are most likely to use their TV to do so.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Legit shocked Game Pass grew, I fully expected it to hit a slump with the rather weak year. Wonder if economic conditions will push people into services?
I don't think it's all that crazy that Game Pass still grew this quarter honestly. At launch the Series S|X had a 70% attach rate with Game Pass and while the attach rate probably still isn't as high now, it's still probably in the 50-60% range and Welfare estimates about 1.75 million Series consoles this quarter, which means that there was probably growth of three to four hundred thousand subs to Game Pass, even with no new exclusives or massive day one hits.

Casual gamers and enthusiast gamers are often on two totally different wavelengths, and it's probably why they're having so many casual focused games on Game Pass recently

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
A casual who also has a smart tv that supports this and a fast internet connection, but no other console or way to play fortnite? No I cant see that.

Edit: I see that you can already do this with geforce now, and I dont think that is setting the world on fire for casuals.
The free version of geforce now is crappy. You often have to wait in line to play and session time is limited to 1 hour, which the free version of Xcloud does not have. If you don't want limitations you have to pay $12.99/month, and at that point you may as well get game pass ultimate for 2 dollars more which actually includes games.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Fortnite is big on mobile… it's not stretch to imagine these folks would play on their TV given a low cost opportunity to do so.

Geoforce now definitely isn't a product casuals would be consuming in large numbers

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I think you've sort of answered your own question. It is precisely the casuals that will try this. Casuals simply won't have a PC powerful enough to play most games, or indeed own a console. Also, even typing the words "connecting your PC to your TV" would be too much effort for most casuals, let alone doing it. It is those who have neither but are interested in trying out gaming that are most likely to use their TV to do so.

Ok why would someone who plays fortnite on their PC get a membership to gamepass to play on tv? Thats going to be a tiny number thats willing to pay to play a game that they already have access to or they are already subscribed.

If they have neither and "want to try out gaming" and are willing to buy a tv and are willing to play with a controller and have a fast internet connection and no way to play right now then yes that seems like someone who would subscribe. But that is a tiny tiny subset.

I see the tv thing more as a service for existing subscribers. Would be cool to try on holiday.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Ok why would someone who plays fortnite on their PC get a membership to gamepass to play on tv? Thats going to be a tiny number thats willing to pay to play a game that they already have access to or they are already subscribed.

If they have neither and "want to try out gaming" and are willing to buy a tv and are willing to play with a controller and have a fast internet connection and no way to play right now then yes that seems like someone who would subscribe. But that is a tiny tiny subset.

I see the tv thing more as a service for existing subscribers. Would be cool to try on holiday.
You know Fortnite doesn't need a sub to play on XCloud right?

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021

People who have smart TVs with decent internet and no PC or console are not a tiny tiny subset. In my home country, internet is cheap and readily available, and you can get a smart TV for like 200$ these days. Consoles on the other hand, due to their higher base price + import taxes can cost 600 $ for the Series S to upwards of 800 for the X / PS5. 600-800$ is a month's wages, and so almost no one can afford that, while a smart TV and internet have uses outside of just games so almost every home has one. The population of my country is over 40 million, and it's not like it is unique, a huge portion of the world is in a similar boat. There's your market. Also, the populations of these economically weaker countries greatly outnumber people in first world ones who have all the consoles plus a PC, and are obviously not the target market.

Not to mention that for families for example, with a kid that wants to play fortnite, what's cheaper - buy a TV, and a Series S, or buy a TV, give them a spare controller, and have them play for free (you don't need a sub at all for fortnite). When I was a kid I played games on my dad's work computer at like 5 fps and had a blast - kids won't notice or care about the limitations of cloud streaming for games.

Especially given the economic downturn we're heading into to me at least it's pretty clear that there will be a huge audience for this.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
People who have smart TVs with decent internet and no PC or console are not a tiny tiny subset. In my home country, internet is cheap and readily available, and you can get a smart TV for like 200$ these days. Consoles on the other hand, due to their higher base price + import taxes can cost 600 $ for the Series S to upwards of 800 for the X / PS5. 600-800$ is a month's wages, and so almost no one can afford that, while a smart TV and internet have uses outside of just games so almost every home has one. The population of my country is over 40 million, and it's not like it is unique, a huge portion of the world is in a similar boat. There's your market. Also, the populations of these economically weaker countries greatly outnumber people in first world ones who have all the consoles plus a PC, and are obviously not the target market.

Not to mention that for families for example, with a kid that wants to play fortnite, what's cheaper - buy a TV, and a Series S, or buy a TV, give them a spare controller, and have them play for free (you don't need a sub at all for fortnite). When I was a kid I played games on my dad's work computer at like 5 fps and had a blast - kids won't notice or care about the limitations of cloud streaming for games.

Especially given the economic downturn we're heading into to me at least it's pretty clear that there will be a huge audience for this.

It's not like gamepass is free. And you're right kids don't care. That's why they play on their phones. We will see who's right I guess.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like gamepass is free. And you're right kids don't care. That's why they play on their phones. We will see who's right I guess.

Playing Fortnite via Gamepass is free - You don't need a Gamepass sub.

Someone who plays fortnight via a mobile device will soon have a pretty frictionless way to play it on a TV.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't read the OP but all of whatever money they made should go towards Morrowind, Oblivion and Fable II remakes.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
wut.gif

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Thats a strange comment. People wont pass on to play Sony AAA Biggies like Ragnarok,Spidey2,etc. hence i think PS5 is the primary console.
Seems like you failed to consider 2 things here:
1. A lot of people aren't interested in Sony first party titles.
2. Being interested in Sony first party titles does not mean it is the primary console. In my case my Xbox is my primary console. Everything else is solely for exclusives.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like you failed to consider 2 things here:
1. A lot of people aren't interested in Sony first party titles.
2. Being interested in Sony first party titles does not mean it is the primary console. In my case my Xbox is my primary console. Everything else is solely for exclusives.
3. Not everyone has funds to get 2 consoles

That comment is the biggest defintion of a era bubble

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats a strange comment. People wont pass on to play Sony AAA Biggies like Ragnarok,Spidey2,etc. hence i think PS5 is the primary console.
Ehhhh whaaat??! Plenty of people won't be buying $70 games and look for cheaper options for their primary console. Your making huge generalisation on people's purchasing decision.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Pretty curious to see what the game pass subscriber count is sitting at now. Seems to be ticking along pretty nicely.
It will probably be pretty steady for now, nothing big until presumably Starfield/Redfall and Forza hits next year.

Eh, I'm not going to have a big argument, because people will just shout that it's great regardless. But Microsoft's revenue as a whole was up 12 percent year-on-year and investors considered that below expectations. Xbox being down 7 percent year-on-year, with decreases in hardware, games, and live services, is not a good result. It doesn't matter if it's their second-best 4th quarter ever or whatever. Investors don't look at it that way. They always want growth.
Well as more and more results come in from other companies it looks like most hardware/software sales are down year over year. As I stated earlier it's not as dire for Xbox as you were trying to portray when you consider the whole picture.