• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 2, 2021

View: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1552024260872478722

View: https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1552024775870005251

View: https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1552021613234855937

Microsoft misses estimates, cites exchange rates and 'deteriorating' PC market.

Microsoft shares fell 1% in extended trading after the software maker reported fiscal fourth-quarter results that failed to reach Wall Street consensus.
Here's how the company did:
  • Earnings: $2.23 per share, adjusted, vs. $2.29 per share as expected by analysts, according to Refinitiv.
  • Revenue: $51.87 billion, vs. $52.44 billion as expected by analysts, according to Refinitiv.

Microsoft's revenue increased by 12% year over year in the quarter, which ended on June 30, compared with 18% growth in the previous quarter according to a statement. Net income moved up 2% to $16.74 billion.
The biggest challenge in the quarter stemmed from worsening foreign-exchange rates. Microsoft said that reduced revenue by $595 million and earnings by 4 cents per share. In June, Microsoft reduced its quarterly income and revenue guidance guidance for income and revenue just because of rate fluctuations.
Microsoft's Intelligent Cloud segment, which includes the Azure public cloud for application hosting, SQL Server, Windows Server and enterprise services generated $20.91 billion in revenue. That was up 20% and below the consensus of $21.10 billion among analysts polled by StreetAccount.
The company said revenue from Azure and other cloud services grew by 40%, compared with 46% in the prior quarter. Analysts surveyed by CNBC had expected 43.1%, while the consensus estimate from StreetAccount was 43.4%. Microsoft does not disclose Azure revenue in dollars.

Source

Last edited:

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Pretty across-the-board mediocre for Xbox. Guess those few months where they beat PS5 didn't actually mean much. They also don't say it outright, but pretty clear Halo is underperforming.

Jul 22, 2022
So during this fiscal year they added around 80b to their warchest and overall had 200b in revenue. Also Game Pass grows without big games even.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Pretty across-the-board mediocre for Xbox. Guess those few months where they beat PS5 didn't actually mean much. They also don't say it outright, but pretty clear Halo is underperforming.

You need to take into account inflation and the fact that pandemic is easing and people are going back into offices and schools.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
So during this fiscal year they added around 80b to their warchest and overall had 200b in revenue. Also Game Pass grows without big games even.
Legit shocked Game Pass grew, I fully expected it to hit a slump with the rather weak year. Wonder if economic conditions will push people into services?
Hmmm, didn't see that. Guess it's not that bad! Still -- corporations like to be constantly growing. Being down year-on-year across the board is not considered good.
Almost every industry is down compared to a year ago because we were in lockdowns with record high engagement and consumption. It's not exclusive to Xbox.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's their second best quarter ever, and this is without much coming out, it's far from mediocre, it's actually quite strong. If this is what they achieved, they're going to achieve big in 2023 with a number of heavy hitters being released.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Hmmm, didn't see that when I made my comment. Guess it's not that bad! Still -- corporations like to be constantly growing. Being down year-on-year across the board is not considered good.
wdym down across the board?

View: https://twitter.com/DeekeTweak/status/1552026866474778629?s=20&t=e3qlW4QwfFv7zNlDZG2-nQ

Do you mean Microsoft as a whole just going off Tom Warren's tweet? They were up pretty huge in Azure cloud computing and advertising/search % wise which he didn't fit in the tweet. Surface also had a decent % bump...

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
You seem to be mixing up some MS numbers with Xbox. Halo and Xbox sales had little to do with the overall earnings report. The forecast on gaming actually hit the estimation.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Do you mean Microsoft as a whole just going off Tom Warren's tweet? They were up pretty huge in Azure cloud computing and advertising/search % wise. Surface also had a decent % bump...
I mean the thread seems to be pushing all of Microsoft instead of talking specifically about gaming, which is weird... Seems strange to highlight Microsoft as a whole and not Xbox in the gaming forum, especially when Xbox did pretty good. There are literally three tweets and only one mentions Xbox in OP.

Jul 22, 2022
They were up pretty huge in Azure cloud computing and advertising/search % wise
It seems like they had 40% growth in Azure and other cloud services.

• Revenue was $198.3 billion and increased 18% (up 19% in constant currency)
  • Operating income was $83.4 billion and increased 19% (up 21% in constant currency)
  • Net income was $72.7 billion GAAP and increased 19%, and $69.4 billion non-GAAP and increased 15% (up 16% in constant currency)

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Almost every industry is down compared to a year ago because we were in lockdowns with record high engagement and consumption. It's not exclusive to Xbox.

Eh, I'm not going to have a big argument, because people will just shout that it's great regardless. But Microsoft's revenue as a whole was up 12 percent year-on-year and investors considered that below expectations. Xbox being down 7 percent year-on-year, with decreases in hardware, games, and live services, is not a good result. It doesn't matter if it's their second-best 4th quarter ever or whatever. Investors don't look at it that way. They always want growth.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Both. See Tom Warren's tweet. That's why I posted it here. We don't get a lot of Xbox sales informations these days, so this is at least something.
There's much more insightful analysis of Xbox numbers from people like Derek Strickland, that's not just showing Microsoft stock price:

View: https://twitter.com/DeekeTweak/status/1552026866474778629?s=20&t=nqjntPpIzdaIVrxpyW15NQ
Eh, I'm not going to have a big argument, because people will just shout that it's great regardless. But Microsoft's revenue as a whole was up 12 percent year-on-year and investors considered that a disappointment. Xbox being down 7 percent year-on-year, with decreases in hardware, games, and live services, is not a good result. It doesn't matter if it's their second-best 4th quarter ever or whatever. Investors don't look at it that way. They always want growth.
Entertainment industry is down all together. NPD estimates nearly 8% YoY for gaming as a whole.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
my company uses a different Q4 than these guys, so reading this was kind of mind boggling.

Jul 22, 2022
Xbox being down 7 percent year-on-year, with decreases in hardware, games, and live services, is not a good result.
YoY means that the same quarter last fiscal year they had better results, no? Looking at the state of the economy - not surprising. Not to mention they haven't released a single game this quarter.

It is a very good result for the current state (closing the markets, inflation and so on). Granted, Xbox with 16b of yearly revenue in comparison to 198b, is literally 10% (even less)

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Sure. The fact that everyone's doing bad doesn't make bad result good.
expecting numbers to always go up is such a reductive and bad take on it though lol. yes investors and people always want numbers to go up, but that's not the end-all when you're investing in a multi trillion dollar company.. you can look at the bigger picture and see number go up. Historically their Q4 is one of the weakest in their FY.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021

They don't report title by title performance of gaming IP lol.. you know gaming is a tiny part of MS they don't factor in if Halo is doing well or not. You could also say they didn't report FH5 which is smashing it out of the park and probably has hit 25M players by now.

OT: expected results with little 1st party content out, good to see gamepass is still growing despite the gap in 1st party titles this year. Surprising this is their 2nd biggest gaming QTR with all these downsides.

Eh, I'm not going to have a big argument, because people will just shout that it's great regardless. But Microsoft's revenue as a whole was up 12 percent year-on-year and investors considered that a disappointment. Xbox being down 7 percent year-on-year, with decreases in hardware, games, and live services, is not a good result. It doesn't matter if it's their second-best 4th quarter ever or whatever. Investors don't look at it that way. They always want growth.

This is so disingenuous it hurts. Xbox is a tiny fraction of Microsoft, Xbox could go away tomorrow and Microsoft wouldn't blink an eye profit wise because of Azrue/cloud.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, didn't see that when I made my comment. Guess it's not that bad! Still -- corporations like to be constantly growing. Being down year-on-year across the board is not considered good.
they're in the middle of a hardware shortage (including controllers!) and a software lull

what exactly did you expect?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
next quarter earning GP subs gonna be booming with PowerWash Simulator MEGATON and As Dusk Bombs driving subscriptions

Oct 25, 2017

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
GamePass subs keep keep growing which is the most important thing in the long run. One quarter that's slightly down revenue wise isn't that big of a deal.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Hardware suffered in the middle to end of the quarter due to China lockdowns.

Series X has already seen a massive boost in availability this month in the US so we have to see how Q3 performs.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
expecting numbers to always go up is such a reductive and bad take on it though lol. yes investors and people always want numbers to go up, but that's not the end-all when you're investing in a multi trillion dollar company.. you can look at the bigger picture and see number go up. Historically their Q4 is one of the weakest in their FY.

It's not a "take." I'm not making a value judgment. I just made a dry comment on an earnings report based on how investors react to these things. That's it dudes. If reasonable comments about a company's earnings (earnings being down is bad) angry up your blood, maybe stay out of the earnings thread.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Surface? They're still pushing those things? I thought that had turned out to be another face plant, like the Windows Phone.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It's not a "take." I'm not making a value judgment. I just made a dry comment on an earnings report based on how investors react to these things. That's it dudes. If reasonable comments about a company's earnings (earnings being down is bad) angry up your blood, maybe stay out of the earnings thread.
i'm not angry.. lol?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like they had 40% growth in Azure and other cloud services.

• Revenue was $198.3 billion and increased 18% (up 19% in constant currency)
  • Operating income was $83.4 billion and increased 19% (up 21% in constant currency)
  • Net income was $72.7 billion GAAP and increased 19%, and $69.4 billion non-GAAP and increased 15% (up 16% in constant currency)
Thanks for the explanation.

TheMule

Banned
Jul 2, 2022
User banned (permanent): Troll account
Gaming Division still bleeding off the asshole. All those Series S sales don't bring enough money in to avoid decline in hardware revenue? And $1 subs don't bring in nothing either...yikes. Dreadful months ahead.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Surface is successful

I mean, that's what it says. I'm just surprised. They were everywhere for a bit. Including my current and former employer, both of whom have since ditched them. I still have one, sitting right here, and I think it's the last remaining one at my company - they've moved back to regular laptops for everyone else. I just haven't bothered to swap mine out because I never use it (I also have a desktop PC).

Now I never see them any more. Just in my own bubble, I guess.