• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
OK, I didn't how to phrase the title in the best way.

Microsoft has the habit of announcing games on Xbox Game Pass coming to new platforms as new additions without clearly stating that.

TW_Available-Today_Coming-Soon_templates_1.19.2021_update.jpg

While I understand why they are doing that, I think it's a mistake to not remind people that the game was already available elsewhere.

For example

Microsoft just announced that Outer Wild is coming to Game Pass on the cloud. Some players on Xbox could see this and think "but I wanted to play the game on Xbox, I guess I'll wait" when the game is actually already available on Game Pass on Xbox!

Another exemple here is Control coming to Xbox game pass on pc where it was already on console.

I think the picture should reiterate where the game is available.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
They are new additions to the platforms announced

If they slapped a "console + cloud" on outer wilds they would be doing exactly what youre complaining, calling an already released game a new addition

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yup. Outer Wilds wasn't available for streaming until now. Control wasn't available on PC until now.

Generally if you see something and say, "I thought that was there already," It's because it's being released on a new platform; Console, streaming or PC.

For example, Journey to the Savage Planet is on xbox and streaming, but not pc. I'm sure it will eventually and when it is, it'll be shown on one of these.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
They are new additions to the platforms announced

If they slapped a "console + cloud" on outer wilds they would be doing exactly what youre complaining, calling an already released game a new addition
They could go with "CLOUD" on top "ALREADY ON CONSOLE" on the bottom or some shit like that. I agree it could be a little more clear. It's a good problem to have, but I'm losing track of all the games available.

Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft has the habit of announcing games on Xbox Game Pass coming to new platforms as new additions without clearly stating that.

While I understand why they are doing that, I think it's a mistake to not remind people that the game was already available elsewhere.

For example

Microsoft just announced that Outer Wild is coming to Game Pass on the cloud. Some players on Xbox could see this and think "but I wanted to play the game on Xbox, I guess I'll wait" when the game is actually already available on Game Pass on Xbox!

Another exemple here is Control coming to Xbox game pass on pc where it was already on console.

Those are not additions are they?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I guess I get what you mean, but like, those games have largely been on the platform already and I would imagine people look at the list at least at some point, right? Maybe I'm wrong there, lol, I dunno

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
It probably wouldn't hurt for them to mention in the little blurb they have about each game which platforms they are already available on.

Nov 9, 2017
Seems fine, though I think they should be more upfront about which games are leaving so players have enough time to finish them.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, they could put an "also available on" graphic at the bottom of the image, but I think this is clear enough.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
They could go with "CLOUD" on top "ALREADY ON CONSOLE" on the bottom or some shit like that. I agree it could be a little more clear. It's a good problem to have, but I'm losing track of all the games available.

They could and it would be nice if they did, but its a different issue than the one OP is raising. Plus, for something like Control which pc players got upset it wasnt announced when it came to console first, it's far more important to point out that is coming to PC now than using the publicity to remember people that its on console already

It probably wouldn't hurt for them to mention in the little blurb they have about each game which platforms they are already available on.

i might be remembering wrong but i think they mention it on the xbox wire post following each batch announcement

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I understand what you're saying but I guess I don't really see it as a big issue.

They could put 'coming soon to x, already available on y, z' on the image for each tile but, at a point, that's just messy and too much information.

They're just saying it's new to Game Pass for people who are using cloud streaming. Which is true.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Id just use different colors, old platforms on black or grey, the new one in green.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
But anyone with Game Pass (or even those without) can easily check what is on the Xbox platform right now, so I don't understand why anyone interested in Outer Wilds wouldn't already know about it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really strike me as an issue. And I'm not sure how they could be specific without getting into needless detail that would just confuse the overall message.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any game available on the cloud is already on console. That's a good rule of thumb to have.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
They could probably just put the platform icons where each is available on or below the game graphic.

Seems fine, though I think they should be more upfront about which games are leaving so players have enough time to finish them.
They mention it in the same blog post and there's a leaving soon section within Game Pass.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
User Warned: Accusing Fellow Member of Being a Shill
Microsoft is truly the "damned if we do, damned if we don't" of companies
While I think OP's complaint is unwarranted this is hilarious, like, it's such a harmless suggestion to the point it doesn't need this kind of defense
I really hope this line of thinking exists because of a big bag of money, it would be less embarrassing.

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I guess I get what you mean, but like, those games have largely been on the platform already and I would imagine people look at the list at least at some point, right? Maybe I'm wrong there, lol, I dunno

In the same way I'm not motivated to play my backlog and more motivated to play games I just acquired, I'm also more motivated to play new additions to game pass.
I played what remains of Edith finch on Xbox because it was just added on PC and I decided to check if it was on console.
But that's the thing, when they announced the game was coming to pc I though "bummer I wish it was on Xbox".

Jun 14, 2018
I guess an asterisk system would do.

* Already available on Console.
** Already available on PC.
*** Already available on Console & PC.

And so on, but that could get messy when dealing with the different permutations. For instance, what if a game was available on Cloud and PC but is now coming to Console?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
While I think OP's complaint is unwarranted this is hilarious, like, it's such a harmless suggestion to the point it doesn't need this kind of defense
I really hope this line of thinking exists because of a big bag of money, it would be less embarrassing.

And nothing in @ToadPacShakur's comment warrants this personal attack. Give it a rest.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the graphics should probably have icons on the bottom or somewhere else that say "already on xyz" but other than that I don't find it confusing once you understand that Microsoft's goal is getting games everywhere.

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
They could and it would be nice if they did, but its a different issue than the one OP is raising. Plus, for something like Control which pc players got upset it wasnt announced when it came to console first, it's far more important to point out that is coming to PC now than using the publicity to remember people that its on console already

i might be remembering wrong but i think they mention it on the xbox wire post following each batch announcement
They don't, that the thing.
Outer Wilds (Android) ID@Xbox – January 21
Explore for the sake of your curiosity with a hand-crafted solar system filled with secrets to discover and perils to avoid while exploring space. Players are given a variety of tools to aid in their space-backpacking adventure: their very own spaceship and jetpack, a surveyor probe for scouting and taking pictures, and a signal scope to track down audio signals as well as view landmarks from afar.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
They don't, that the thing.

Now this one i agree should be more informative. I can get behind the image and the tweet focusing on the NEW part of it (limited space and all), but the wire post can talk about it for as long as they can. Should just list everything already and make it clear.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Most people have the app on the phone and can check the list of games, anyway.

But I like your idea, they should add something that explains the games are already on a platform (if it's the case).

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

For example

Idk, I think this graphic is pretty obivious

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Can we not go in console warring territory? I'm a big fan of Game Pass. I was merely pointing out something annoying to me and wanted to know If I was alone.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I guess an asterisk system would do.

* Already available on Console.
** Already available on PC.
*** Already available on Console & PC.

And so on, but that could get messy when dealing with the different permutations. For instance, what if a game was available on Cloud and PC but is now coming to Console?

Smart delivery fixes that. This really is a non-issue.

Jun 22, 2018
I agree, it would be nice for them to somehow convey the idea of:

"Newly added on PC, already on Console"

and variations of that.

Nov 28, 2017
They're doing fine. The people who are actively subbed to XGP or XGPU, know what titles they currently have in their libraries, and what they WANT from the other 2 platforms that isn't on theirs. So, this current way of announcements should do them good and get'em hyped up.

Like MSFT? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Sure but that was just an example. Control could've had PC and ALREADY ON CONSOLE.

Control is not a good example since it had a very vocal pc only userbase upset that it launched only on console. It makes sense they're focusing on it coming to PC now instead

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would messy a nice clean graphic. People should browse the library for games to play on their system of choice and know what's on there already.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I think that makes sense. Just have another banner at the bottom or something that says "Already available on: ..."

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Eh, I think adding a "also available on..." Would just make the image a bit more messy.

Maybe there's a more elegant shorthand, but it's not really a big deal for these images.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
This doesn't seem like a big deal at all.

These graphics are like updates, not reminders where things are already available. It takes 5 seconds to search if you're unsure.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I have more gripes about the confusing interface of the Windows Game Pass app. It seems like its integrated with the Windows Store in a cumbersome way. And then the downloads... what is going on boys.

Btw, should I still be worried about losing my HDD space using Game Pass PC, or is that fixed?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If you use something like GOG Galaxy, it shows what's available via subscription. It isn't perfect, but is an option if you can't be bothered to Google it.