• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see a service like game pass from Sony & Nintendo next gen?

• Sony - Yes, all types of third and first party games ( AAA, AA, indie)

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Sony-Yes but only low budget first party games complemented by all types of third party games

Votes: 151 28.9%
  • Nintendo - Yes all types of third and first party games ( AAA, AA, indie)

Votes: 17 3.3%
  • Nintendo -Yes but only low budget first party games complemented by all types of third party games

Votes: 33 6.3%
  • Sony - Unlikely to have such a service next gen

Votes: 256 49.0%
  • Nintendo - Unlikely to have such a service next gen

Votes: 369 70.7%

• Total voters

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Netflix is a prime example. Shrinking content offering, higher prices, more worthless "first party" content that no one really wants and/or isn't good.
When you say "first party" do you mean Netflix original series? Because I enjoy those.

On the flip side, Disney+ will be amazing at a cheaper price (for now) for old and new original content produced by the service.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Having more games does not = more value, a lot of those games are just filler and it's better to download than strema currently
The same can be said to both. I got the 1 month for 1 dollar to play Crackdown 3 and did not renew, not even finished the game
Download is better than streaming, I agree, although PsNow started to allow (some games) downloads.
But regarding this thread, OP consider it non existent, which isn't true

Last edited:

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Just resubbed to gamepass recently and damn, they're knocking out of the park.

I think it will be a while before Sony or Nintendo tries something similar, simply because they're both respectively making bank whilst gamepass is probably going to a loss-leader for Microsoft for a while. When gamepass inevitably gets huge they'll jump on.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
It's sad that people forget that PSNow exists, nevermind that it came first. Admittedly it does need improvements, but it'll be a big focus next gen especially with Stadia entering the market.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
The same can be said to both. I got the 1 month for 1 dollar to play Crackdown 3 and did not renew, not even finished the game

Crackdown 3 continues to be a exception not the rule. I'm not sure why everyone picks the game we know they already knew wouldn't be that great as the example for this, when FH4, Sea of Thieves and other titles are on their service and have done well.

Not to mention PS Now is mostly PS3 games. I whole heartedly expect a massive influx of backwards compatible Xbox One games when next gen starts and publishers lax their requirements for those titles.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So would I be right in thinking that for most people who subscribe to Game Pass they feel it's an excellent service that offers tremendous value for money and for those who don't own an Xbox they think its a pretty shit service?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Download is better than streaming, I agree, although PsNow started to allow (some games) downloads.
But regarding this thread, OP consider it non existent, which isn't true
Unless PSNow releases exclusives day and date it's not a similar service. No matter how long PSnow has been around for.

Nov 12, 2017
Unless PSNow releases exclusives day and date it's not a similar service. No matter how long PSnow has been around for.
This . end of the discussion . Period.
I don't know why people don't get it . Maybe they playing obtuse.
I'm okay with the tantrum " Sony exclusive sell too much ..and will never be launched on a service like that at launch" but if so stop comparing those services

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sony already has one with PSNow.
They have a rental service, it's not the same.

With Sony you're spending more money.

If their exclusives showed up day and date yeah then you have your answer.

If me and you both waited a year to jump to next gen, I went Sony and you went Microsoft. We both had the intent of playing 3 AAA exclusives....one of us is spending $180 more than the other.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people arguing against PSNow being better? As much as the service has improved, having 1st party games available day one would be a net win for us gamers. With Nintendo, it goes without saying that their services need improving. They can even introduce a higher tier service that costs more.

That says more about some of the people here than it does about the OP and their intentions with the thread. The rest of your post is just ignorant nonsense.

Nov 12, 2017
I think MS gets more than enough credit for their service. Imho, GamePass is largely overrated.

Also, OP you should probably educate yourself on what PSNow is and its library before jumping to conclusions.
Well psnow is a different service born some years ago to stream games as it will do xcloud ..for ms...adapted later to download some games after the success of gamepass...but without Sony exclusive at launch it have objectively less value

Last edited:

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Gamepass itself isn't that big of a system seller right now compared to the individual games alone e.g. FH4 despite also being on gamepass from what I've seen. I don't think many gamers are all that interested in PSnow or GP however I do believe that will change next gen as we know MS will continue to expand the GP library and it's also going to receive all the big hitters coming out of MS in the foreseeable future. As far as I've seen there is also evidence of Sony working to improve PSnow for next gen so both services next gen should be much more popular as they will have much more marketing towards them I feel. As long as GP gets exclusives day 1 it will always be the better service imo. I can even see people potentially buying Xbox's with the purpose of using gamepass as their source for games in the next few years because of those 1st party games along with the brilliant 3rd party support MS has already shown with games like MH:W.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Are people suggesting that MS are innovative because they are giving away their first party games? There's a reason for that. People aren't buying the hardware because the games aren't good enough.

But honestly looking at the gamepass list of games and the PSNow list of games. Both suck. I've no interest in almost any of the games on either list. And if I did it's more, 'eh I guess since I have this I'll play that.' But nothing on either list makes me even consider either service.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think next gen Sony will offer downloads for all games on psnow but never 1st party on release day and the selection will still be not so good.
Nintendo will never do it ever.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people suggesting that MS are innovative because they are giving away their first party games? There's a reason for that. People aren't buying the hardware because the games aren't good enough.

But honestly looking at the gamepass list of games and the PSNow list of games. Both suck. I've no interest in almost any of the games on either list. And if I did it's more, 'eh I guess since I have this I'll play that.' But nothing on either list makes me even consider either service.

Yes, MS have been quite bold to sub their first party games, Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon, Fable, Rare, Obsidian, Ninja theory games are pretty big games to have available, people will buy thier new hardware for these games.

Gamepass 3rd party support is much better with more recent games available via download, 100% access, it includes lots of BC titles, a good portion of PSNow are streaming only, which isnt a good solution for alot of the gaming populace, and is more expensive. So even if you want to compare the two GP is the implementation that people feel strongly about, hence being thankful for it to pressure competitors.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Gamepass is definitely a nice feature, but there is a reason why MS puts their first party games in their service. There is also a reason why Sony and Nintendo wouldnt put their own first party games into an equivalent service - they dont need to.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017

Netflix didn't have Netflix originals for the longest time. Didn't stop it from actually BEING a paid subscription service to gain access to a library of movies and TV.

PSNow is a subscription service a consumer pays for to gain access to a library of games.

Game Pass is a subscription service a consumer pays for to gain access to a library of games.

THEY'RE. THE. SAME. DAMN. THING.

There are nuances, pro/cons, to both, but they're in essence the exact same thing.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Netflix didn't have Netflix originals for the longest time. Didn't stop it from actually BEING a paid subscription service to gain access to a library of movies and TV.

PSNow is a subscription service a consumer pays for to gain access to a library of games.

Game Pass is a subscription service a consumer pays for to gain access to a library of games.

THEY'RE. THE. SAME. DAMN. THING.

There are nuances, pro/cons, to both, but they're in essence the exact same thing.
But they are not the same thing, not when ones value surpassed the other.

Let's look at Days Gone as an example
It's a 70-75 game, not worth the $60
Should have probably been released as a NOW exclusive, it wasn't. One day they will correct that.
Gamepass is definitely a nice feature, but there is a reason why MS puts their first party games in their service. There is also a reason why Sony and Nintendo wouldnt put their own first party games into an equivalent service - they dont need to.
Probably can't afford to as well.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Well psnow is a different service born some years ago to stream games as it will do xcloud ..for ms...adapted later to download some games after the success of gamepass...but without Sony exclusive at launch it have objectively less value

Don't be silly, Kayle. There's no such thing as objective value aside from an objective measures like price.

Value is inherently subjective by definition, so I really find it weird how some seem to lack the self-awareness to recognise how absurd claims like the above are.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017

That is the biggest load of horseshit I've read in quite some time.

A McDonald's hamburger for like a dollar is still a hamburger, regardless of its quality or value, comparatively if you go to your local restaurant that makes the best hamburger you've ever tasted for $10/$20/$whatever. Value, price, etc has no bearing on the actual *being* of what something IS.

A paid subscription service to access a library of music, video, or video games is exactly the same in essence regardless of who is doing it or the perceived value of the customer.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Will we ever see a comparable service next gen from Sony or Nintendo?
Sony already has their subscription service, PS Now, which has more than half of the game subscription market. In the next gen, since PS5 will be BC I expect them to include more games that would be downloadable on PS5 (at least PS5 and PS4 games) and due to the competition in the game streaming area I expect them to focus a bit more on PS5/"newer" games to compete but still having as a main PS Now strategy to include there mostly older back catalog games that don't generate revenue elsewhere.

They never will have this GamePass aggresive strategy of putting there their new games day one and to sell it at this price. MS does that because they have a very small market share and are desperate to get attention and grow. But Sony as a clear market leader selling both consoles and their own games at a rate that they are beating historical records don't need to go that aggresive because with their traditional strategy are doing an awesome job.

Regarding Nintendo, I think that their next gen strategy is to move from NES games to SNES games in the paid online service.

It seems to be getting well
superdatastreamingq318-r471x.png

A few weeks ago PS Now has been released in Sonyland countries like Spain, so a year later this graph PSNow will have an even higher market share.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That is the biggest load of horseshit I've read in quite some time.

A McDonald's hamburger for like a dollar is still a hamburger, regardless of its quality or value, comparatively if you go to your local restaurant that makes the best hamburger you've ever tasted for $10/$20/$whatever. Value, price, etc has no bearing on the actual *being* of what something IS.

A paid subscription service to access a library of music, video, or video games is exactly the same in essence regardless of who is doing it or the perceived value of the customer.
Shit is not the same because one is not giving you exclusives the day they release.

Thread is about will Sony and Nintendo offer a service LIKE gamepass.

What is gamepass?
A subscription service that lets you play games (some enhanced) and play Microsoft exclusives day and date at an affordable price.

Right now....Sony and Nintendo has no service like that. Right now Sony and Nintendo does not have a subscription service that gives day and date access to their games. Which is the main hook of gamepass.

PSnow is not like gamepass, PsNow will be more like Xcloud (or rather, Xcloud be like PSnow)

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Atleast in the case of Nintendo, Gamepass will be on Switch via Xcloud/Xbox Live. That's exciting.

Although I doubt they would ever put their own 1st party content there.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PSNow is so half-assed. Why do they still give you the PS3 version of TLOU instead of the PS4 version?

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
You're only likely to stir up the console warriors with this and not get any meaningful data from it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Sony is (extremely likely) going to bundle PS Now and PS+ as a premium service for $14.99 a month come next generation, and their big boon will be all those PS4 exclusives being playable and installable day one, along side a "release window" for PS5 titles much like the process of movings going from theaters to netflix (so like 6 months later or something, with some exceptions to keep the value perception up).

I have very little doubt this will happen.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
I could see Sony putting exclusives on PSNow for download after a few months of release.

Day of release though? I don't think so. Sony is on a different path than MS.

I don't think Nintendo would do anything like that. I think they share a similar model as Sony, but they are WAY behind on the online infrastructure.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't be silly, Kayle. There's no such thing as objective value aside from an objective measures like price.

Value is inherently subjective by definition, so I really find it weird how some seem to lack the self-awareness to recognise how absurd claims like the above are.

This has to be a pisstake?

I think MS gets more than enough credit for their service. Imho, GamePass is largely overrated.

Also, OP you should probably educate yourself on what PSNow is and its library before jumping to conclusions.

You're just yanking chains, right?

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Netflix is a prime example. Shrinking content offering, higher prices, more worthless "first party" content that no one really wants and/or isn't good.
MS hasn't even launched any of their big flagship franchises yet on Games Pass. No idea what point you are trying to make here. You really think the service is going to decline when games like Gears 5 and Halo Infinite are in the pipe, plus every new release from the tons of devs they purchased last year?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
sony already does it and doesn't have much to improve it until threatened honestly.

Superdata.jpg

Looking at these numbers and comparing them to the general opinions about the subscription services on this board is hilarious.

PS Now has been up and running since 2014 and it's on a platform that's pushing up on 100 million units sold, but Sony is constantly portrayed as some underdog in this fight.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I would love, love, a Gamepass/Netflix for Nintendo's retro offerings not just limited to NES. SNES, N64, Gamecube.

Would be amazing.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
The quality and variety of games available on Xbox Gamepass is really impressive for $9.99 a month. It seems like a great value to me.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Sony I think will only do so if they find themselves in second place at some point.

Nintendo I don't see doing such a service at all. They won't even put SNES games on Nintendo Online (yet) so imo I've got more chance of winning the lottery than them putting next gen Mario or Zelda on a subscription service.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017

Let's look at Days Gone as an example
It's a 70-75 game, not worth the $60
Should have probably been released as a NOW exclusive, it wasn't. One day they will correct that.

Probably can't afford to as well.
I'm sorry but this is so dumb. You honestly think because of the general consensus of some reviews and an enthusiast forum that they would forgo millions in sales based simply from advertisements to the general public? Cmon the greater gaming populace has more folk who could give two shits about what we talk about here.

It's going to sell and make more money than it would have on Now.

RiB

Nov 6, 2017
Is there a source for that graph. As far as I am aware no numbers for gamepass have been released yet.