• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see a service like game pass from Sony & Nintendo next gen?

• Sony - Yes, all types of third and first party games ( AAA, AA, indie)

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Sony-Yes but only low budget first party games complemented by all types of third party games

Votes: 151 28.9%
  • Nintendo - Yes all types of third and first party games ( AAA, AA, indie)

Votes: 17 3.3%
  • Nintendo -Yes but only low budget first party games complemented by all types of third party games

Votes: 33 6.3%
  • Sony - Unlikely to have such a service next gen

Votes: 256 49.0%
  • Nintendo - Unlikely to have such a service next gen

Votes: 369 70.7%

• Total voters
Nov 12, 2017
Without first party on release the two services are completely different beasts
Ring me up when sony do something similar I'll give my annual money for it

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I once thought EA Access was amazing but Game Pass massively overtook that. The variety of games being added, the amount of games on the service and 1st party titles being added, is amazing value. Interested to see what part Xcloud plays in it, if at all.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
if loading times will really be drastically reduced on next gen consoles, the need for such a feature naturally diminishes.
Suspend/resume just about loading times, but simply returning to precisely the point I was at. I could be half way through a boss fight, about to finish a race, or simply in the middle of some fiddly inventory juggling. There are lots of points where it's valid to want to return to rather than resuming from the last validated save file.

Tetris DX had an amazing implementation of suspend/resume. The game would auto suspend when you paused the game, so turning on the Game Boy would simply return to the pause screen. You didn't have to select an option, it was just like this by default. I once kept a marathon Tetris game going for three weeks of commutes.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
This is exquisite.

The mental gymnastics required to criticize a company for simultaneously being pro consumer and doing what's best for business. The nerve of Microsoft.
Yeah, the reasons why decisions are taken hardly matter.

If they're good for you, they're good for you.

Same if they're bad for you.

Companies' bottom lines are hardly my business (other than the one I work for ofc).

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Without first party on release the two services are completely different beasts
Ring me up when sony do something similar I'll give my annual money for it

There are first party releases on PS Now though, not the latest ones mind, but there's a good selection on there imo.

As of now there is:
- Ape Escape
- Alienation
- Beyond: Two Souls
- Bound
- Bloodborne
- Dead Nation
- Everybody's Tennis
- Everybody's Golf
- Flow
- Flower
- GOW series (except the latest edition)
- Gravity Rush Remastered
- Heavy Rain
- Hohokum
- Ico
- Infamous 1 & 2 plus Festival of Blood
-Journey
- Killzone Series (except Vita version)
- Knack
- LocoRoco and LocoRoco Cocoreccho!
- Motostorm Apocalypse and RC
- Puppeteer
- rain
- Ratchet and Clank (A Crack in Time, All 4 One, Nexus, QForce, Quest for Booty)
- Resistance 3
- Shadow of the Beast
- Shadow of the Colossus HD
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
- Sly Cooper Collection
- Sound Shapes
- Tearaway Unfolded
- The Last of Us + Left Behind
- The Unfinished Swan
- Tokyo Jungle
- Twisted Metal
- Uncharted 1, 2 and 3
- Until Dawn

Edited to add: these are all published under SIE.

Freakylinks

Nov 4, 2017
ps4 is my main console and then switch and xbox the leftovers BUT i have been playing more xbox because of gamepass and i tried psNOW but there is a huge issue with that most are not saying.....STREAMING.

my internet can NOT handle that at all where gamepass lets me download the whole game and install it, psNOW really needs to change up how it works to compete with gamepass and allow installs.

i grabbed those price deals and have 2 years of gamepass. its made my xbox fun again

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are first party releases on PS Now though, not the latest ones mind, but there's a good selection on there imo.

As of now there is:
- Ape Escape
- Alienation
- Bound
- Bloodborne
- Dead Nation
- Everybody's Tennis
- Everybody's Golf
- Flow
- Flower
- Heavy Rain
- Hohokum
- Ico
-Journey
- Knack
- Puppeteer
- rain
- Ratchet and Clank (A Crack in Time, All 4 One, Nexus, QForce, Quest for Booty)
- Resistance 3
- Shadow of the Beast
- Sly Cooper Collection
- Sound Shapes
- Tearaway Unfolded
- The Unfinished Swan
- Tokyo Jungle
- Twisted Metal
- Uncharted 1, 2 and 3
- Until Dawn

How many of these can you stream and download? Its PS4 downloads only right? So i dont think you can say the service provides gamers with certainty about being able to play these games, which to me is a major issue. A choppy internet connection (we all get it at times) means a large portion of the service is unusable.

Last edited:

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
It guess it does but it feels like an afterthought and nowhere close to the quality of Gamepass in both first and third party.
Quality of the games is fine on PS Now, they're mostly old ones though. In that sense Gamepass is a much better value for money proposition. A plus for PS Now would be that you can play these games anywhere via the streaming option. Both serve a different purpose

As of now there is:
- Ape Escape
- Alienation
- Bound
- Bloodborne
- Dead Nation
- Everybody's Tennis
- Everybody's Golf
- Flow
- Flower
- Heavy Rain
- Hohokum
- Ico
-Journey
- Knack
- Puppeteer
- rain
- Resistance 3
- Shadow of the Beast
- Sly Cooper Collection
- Sound Shapes
- Tearaway Unfolded
- The Unfinished Swan
- Tokyo Jungle
- Twisted Metal
- Uncharted 1, 2 and 3
- Until Dawn

He said 'on release'. Most of those, if not all, were added to the service long after their initial release.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The likelihood of Sony and Nintendo games on a Game Pass service on day 1 are non-existent. A better PS Now could happen, but I don't see it anywhere close to Game Pass library. Nintendo will continue with native ports and push its legacy titles through Nintendo Switch Online and expand to SNES, GBA etc. I am pessimistic about more legacy content, too.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Sony & Nintendo won't put their big first party games on a service like gamepass day one anytime soon. Not when they are selling over 10mil copies (with numerous games) less than a year on the market.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I totally regret getting rid of my Xbone now. It was only after I sold it that Game Pass started to include games I really want to play. Plus I discovered the Microsoft Rewards thing is linked to it. Goddamn.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Nintendo will do that only to retro games (snes will come soon, for example).

Sony will never have a service to match GP because there's no way they would put their most high profile games in a service tied with a very cheap monthly cost.

Microsoft has a beautiful service, what remains to be seen is if it will bite them back when the really big titles (like halo infinite) drops. These are not Sea of Thieves or State of Decay. But I think they will do fine, since forza already passed the test.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Lol! This is not the same as psnow. Really people?! There is night and day difference in value from 1st party and 3rd party. Gamepass is much (I'm gonna say much a couple more times) much, much more valuable service and yes Sony should follow and revamp PS now to be like Gamepass or create a new service altogether. Every time I hear people say that PSNow exists whenever Gamepass conversation starts I shake me head.. "but Sony did it first!" Really? Gamepass is qualitatively different in magnitude and value. It's a different service on a different tier. Does it just make your heart flutter to pretend that platform has been doing something that they haven't? I don't get it.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
I really like Game Pass it's a brilliant service and has got me back into Xbox One. At the moment I'm playing Monster Hunter World which is an amazing addition to the library.

If Sony doesn't produce something similar I.e drastically improve PS Now on PS5 then I may just stick with Nintendo and out of the two (Sony, Xbox) I may just go Xbox for next gen. Especially if they announce Game Pass on Nintendo Switch, which seems heavily rumoured. Anyway next Xbox and PS5 are a long way off in the grand scheme of things.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
How many of these can you stream and download? Its PS4 downloads only right? So i dont think you can say the service provides gamers with certainty about being able to play these games, which to me is a major issue. A choppy internet connection (we all get it at times) means a large portion of the service is unusable.

Having read a lot of threads on here talking about how bad PS Now ran I was expecting a terrible experience, and being in Ireland I was expecting it to be even more substandard, but I was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked. I am on a 300mb/s internet connection and hardwired though, so I guess your MMV on that front.

With regards downloading the games, personally I've used it to clear up some space on my HD and play the few games I had on there via PS Now to make space for titles not on the service. So that's worked out as an advantage for me. I can see though how you'd want to be able to download everything if your connection wasn't so good however.

Quality of the games is fine on PS Now, they're mostly old ones though. In that sense Gamepass is a much better value for money proposition. A plus for PS Now would be that you can play these games anywhere via the streaming option. Both serve a different purpose

He said 'on release'. Most of those, if not all, were added to the service long after their initial release.

Fair enough, I actually misread the post there, and thought it just said first party.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Thread backfire lol

If anything MS gets too much credit for this, and they use that credit to dodge a ton of legitimate criticisms about the way they continue to handle this generation
Oh no!!! Lolol. Really this thread alone proves that people don't understand the ridiculous thing MS are doing with Gamepass. It's an absurd amount of games (new games too) at the highest console quality (on x) for $10 a month. The first party games come and just stay and I have been surprised and impressed by the quality of 3rd party AAA and AA on the service. Let's just say this, if you play a lot of games on the Xbox platform and you don't have Gamepass you are being stupid at this point.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
No idea for Sony or Nintendo to put their exclusives on streaming service day one for 10 dollars, when those games sell so well. They would only lose money

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
It guess it does but it feels like an afterthought and nowhere close to the quality of Gamepass in both first and third party.
As a PS Now sub, I've gotta agree with this. It's been pretty disappointing so far. Every time I see or hear about Gamepass additions I'm always envious.

As for Nintendo, I can't see them ever offering anything close to gamepass or even ps now.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think MS gets more than enough credit for their service. Imho, GamePass is largely overrated.

Also, OP you should probably educate yourself on what PSNow is and its library before jumping to conclusions.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I honestly don't think the Netflix model works for games. At least not on the same scale.

If you look at the sales charts over the last 10 years or so, it's FIFA, GTA, CoD at the top in some order.
Don't believe average gamers really have time nor the need to play a new game every month.

Can only speak for my personal casual gamer friends but they don't even play the games they get for free on Ps+.

I really believe that MS has created a wonderful service and appreciate the value it gives, I just doubt it will have any lasting impact.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
People still wanting to buy and own their games is not a sad reality.

I vastly prefer the PS Now lineup, but, I wish it was cheaper. Game pass is a nice value, but, I also kinda fear the future of subscribing to every service out there to play games.

I'd prefer this not become the standard.
Well hate to break it to ya, there is no rolling this ball back up this hill unless Microsoft pulls a Sega Dreamcast next gen. I rather sub to a service than drop $60 Everytime a exclusive comes out.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Have to agree with all those saying Gamepass gets too much credit. I'd rather own games and have permanent access to them, it seems like a disaster waiting to happen if people are going to go all in on these services.
As we've seen over and over again with subscription services they all start out at an enticing value but gradually raise the price and lower the quality once they have the audience. Ushering people into the net is actually a bit gross.
It seems inevitable that people will spend years on this service, spend hundreds and eventually realise it's a bad deal once the terms change and leave with no lasting return for their cash. Maybe some just see games as a one time consumable thing that they'll never have a desire to play again? That's a pity if so.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
OP should have done some research before making this thread.
PsNow came before gamepass
Has more games
Is doing really well
You can play on PC via streaming

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Well hate to break it to ya, there is no rolling this ball back up this hill unless Microsoft pulls a Sega Dreamcast next gen. I rather sub to a service than drop $60 Everytime a exclusive comes out.

Assuming you keep all the copies forever and get every game on day one.... yeah the sub is a better deal in that particular case.

Just doesn't apply to everyone because of deals and the ability to sell your 60$ copy for 40$ once you finished the game.

That said, I feel like we've been through all those arguments back and forth on GAF when EA Access launched.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Suspend/resume just about loading times, but simply returning to precisely the point I was at. I could be half way through a boss fight, about to finish a race, or simply in the middle of some fiddly inventory juggling. There are lots of points where it's valid to want to return to rather than resuming from the last validated save file.

Tetris DX had an amazing implementation of suspend/resume. The game would auto suspend when you paused the game, so turning on the Game Boy would simply return to the pause screen. You didn't have to select an option, it was just like this by default. I once kept a marathon Tetris game going for three weeks of commutes.

Fair enough. That said, in most of those scenarios I would completely lose my flow, which would probably lead to a reload anyway.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes they absolutely do, they have single handedly changed the way I consume games. I no longer buy games at ALL.

So it's kind of hard to play playstation exclusives nowadays, outside of renting or library. I really hope Sony jumps into this bandwagon and releases their own similar service, with every single 1st party game on day 1. Because if they don't I just cant see myself buying a playstation console in the future.

Yup.
You weren't going to buy a PlayStation console and play their first party games in the first place.

This is like when people say "well now I'll NEVER buy that game" when they had no real intention of buying it in the first place.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Yes they absolutely do, they have single handedly changed the way I consume games. I no longer buy games at ALL.

So it's kind of hard to play playstation exclusives nowadays, outside of renting or library. I really hope Sony jumps into this bandwagon and releases their own similar service, with every single 1st party game on day 1. Because if they don't I just cant see myself buying a playstation console in the future.

Yup.
Must agree.

TBH I still buy new games, but a lot less (maybe just 4 a year) and I am also not really doing impulse buys any more. I always have stuff on GP to play, so "other" games now seem much more "thought-out" buying decisions. Does that make sense?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Assuming you keep all the copies forever and get every game on day one.... yeah the sub is a better deal in that particular case.

Just doesn't apply to everyone because of deals and the ability to sell your 60$ copy for 40$ once you finished the game.

That said, I feel like we've been through all those arguments back and forth on GAF when EA Access launched.
EA Access has over delivered for me this gen.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
EA Access has over delivered for me this gen.

I owned a X1 for two years and yeah, EA Access was a great deal for me too while I had it.
Not trying to shit on sub services as a whole.

It's just stupid to argue what scheme of buying games is the "best deal". Always depends on what person we are talking about.

In 2013-2014 I gamed a lot for example and a sub service was a great deal for me.
Nowadays it's much better for me to just buy whatever I want and sell it on ebay when I'm done.

All in all, more options are always welcome.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Funny how Netflix can survive without movie theaters.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/ne...llion-investors-dont-seem-to-mind-51556117655
Netflix Wants to Keep Making Movies. It's Borrowing More Than $2 Billion to Do It.

The cash will be used to finance its cash-burning business producing original shows and movies. It ended up borrowing more than the $2 billion it had originally planned, after the offering was met with strong demand.

Given the market's response, you would think Netflix was generating cash, not incinerating it.

Investors bid for at least three times the amount of debt on offer, and early price talk indicated that the 10½-year dollar bonds were expected to yield 5.5%. The bonds would need yields of 5.6% or higher to offer a good value to investors, according to a Tuesday note from CreditSights.

The sale will leave the company—which is rated three tiers below investment grade—with more than $12 billion in bonds outstanding. That is slightly more than six times the size of its earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) from the past year. Regulators have said that leverage above six times EBITDA "raises concerns for most industries."

The existence of such a sizeable debt burden raises the stakes in the company's long-term plan to generate cash and make a profit. Netflix says it burned $3.2 billion in cash over the past year. Moody's isn't currently forecasting that the company will start generating cash until 2023, but does expects pre-tax earnings to grow quicker than its costs and debt this year and next.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/16/netflix-earnings-q1-2019.html
Netflix reported net cash flow for the quarter of negative $380 million compared to negative $287 million during the same period last year. The company said it now expects its 2019 free cash flow deficit to be greater than the negative $3 billion previously expected, coming in at negative $3.5 billion. Netflix said the larger deficit was due to a change in corporate structure and investments in real estate and infrastructure.

The company previously said cash flow would remain consistent in 2019 compared with last year's total of negative $3 billion. Netflix said it still expects free cash flow to improve next year and the years after. The company previously said 2019 will be its peak for cash burn, after which it expects it to fall.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Have to agree with all those saying Gamepass gets too much credit. I'd rather own games and have permanent access to them, it seems like a disaster waiting to happen if people are going to go all in on these services.
As we've seen over and over again with subscription services they all start out at an enticing value but gradually raise the price and lower the quality once they have the audience. Ushering people into the net is actually a bit gross.
It seems inevitable that people will spend years on this service, spend hundreds and eventually realise it's a bad deal once the terms change and leave with no lasting return for their cash. Maybe some just see games as a one time consumable thing that they'll never have a desire to play again? That's a pity if so.

That's a fallacy. One does not have to stop buying games just because they're subscribing to a service like Game Pass. My spending did not decrease because I subcribe to Game Pass, but now I have more money to buy other games. I also discover interesting games through GP, which can lead to unforeseen purchases. If I find a game worthwhile, I will still buy it to keep, but now I can wait for a sale AND play it day one. In fact, just subscribing gives me a discount.

And yes, I think that most people do consider games disposable entertainment, that's perfectly fine. We are just a minority.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Netflix is a prime example. Shrinking content offering, higher prices, more worthless "first party" content that no one really wants and/or isn't good.

You certainly don't speak for everyone. Their own movies and series have generally been of good quality, and at this point they are one of the main reasons for why I subscribe to the service instead of a competing one. Actually, it's the wealth of both exclusives and 3rd party content that makes it more enticing than something like HBO, much like it's with PS4 for me. However, it remains to be seen how long Netflix can continue to spend that kind of money to create such content.