• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see a service like game pass from Sony & Nintendo next gen?

• Sony - Yes, all types of third and first party games ( AAA, AA, indie)

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Sony-Yes but only low budget first party games complemented by all types of third party games

Votes: 151 28.9%
  • Nintendo - Yes all types of third and first party games ( AAA, AA, indie)

Votes: 17 3.3%
  • Nintendo -Yes but only low budget first party games complemented by all types of third party games

Votes: 33 6.3%
  • Sony - Unlikely to have such a service next gen

Votes: 256 49.0%
  • Nintendo - Unlikely to have such a service next gen

Votes: 369 70.7%

• Total voters

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
the service might be great for consumers but it wasn't implemented because Microsoft wanted to be pro-consumer it was what they thought was best for their business.

This is exquisite.

The mental gymnastics required to criticize a company for simultaneously being pro consumer and doing what's best for business. The nerve of Microsoft.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The majority of PSNow's catalogue is PS3 games.

Oh, well yeah. I just thought you didn't realize that PS4 games were downloadable since a lot of people apparently still are unaware.

Gamepass is a good service. But there is a reason why one service is never on sale and another is always on sale. You can argue that game pass is not even on sale its on clearance.

But PSNow goes on sale at least once a year. It was on sale for $80 for a year (so $40 off) late last year.

All these services get discounts from time to time. It doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. Though yes, Microsoft has been more aggressive with discounts on Game Pass.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2018
People keep saying all of Ms games were bad quality a just rushed on gamepass , but what about fh4, a game I guess a lot of people forget that was a 92. Granted, state of decay 2 and crackdown 3 were the best but still. And sea of thieves had a resurgence. I think someone from rare said sales and gp players were around 50/50 or something like that. So people use gamepass AND still buy the games.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I don't even know how Microsoft can afford to have Game Pass the way it is right now. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's such a great deal I just assume they are losing money on it at this point.

Sony has a lot of first party big hits that I can't imagine they could afford the same system, it would be even more insane than Game Pass.

Nintendo basically exists on their first party games alone, and they don't even like putting them on sale. Zero change of this from Nintendo.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People seem to have a pretty narrow conception of how Game Pass makes MS money.

Many people don't pay $60 for games, even Sony exclusives.

God of War sold over 3 million copies in 3 days. Plenty of people buy games at full price. Almost ever person I know buys big titles day one for full price or close to it.

Sure lots of people wait for sales. But to say not many people pay 60 dollars is disingenuous by a long shot. Hell even Spider-Man sold almost 3 million copies in one week.

Putting these types of games on a service that cost 60 dollars a year (which is basically what Game Pass costs if you buy it at it's cheapest) just would be financial suicide for Sony's first party studios. Sure it would be fucking amazing for us consumers but it just isn't gonna happen.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sony and Nintendo deserve praise for delivering games masses are actually willing to play 60 bucks for.

Once that changes for either of them something like GamePass could be considered.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It is a fantastic service OP and it will only get better next gen. Halo Infinite, Gears, Ori, Forza, Fable and every game from all 14 studios including Xbox Global Publishing will land on the service day one. and MS is only going to keep acquiring more devs and bringing in more AAA 3P games to the service just to make sure the service never lacks exclusive 1P content and good 3P content. Its going to be interesting...

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Sony sacrifice the revenue from best-selling games like Spiderman or GoW in order to achieve a straw fire in terms of new PSNow subs?
Sony is - in the current market environment - in absotely no need to do that.

That said, I believe PS5 will come together whit a whole now approach with a modular PS+/PSNow subscripition model to leverage both.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
People seem to have a pretty narrow conception of how Game Pass makes MS money.

Many people don't pay $60 for games, even Sony exclusives. To take myself: Horizon w/ DLC - $15. Last Guardian - $15. God of War I paid $25. Uncharted: LL - $10. Uncharted 4 was a pack in. Bloodborne came with PS+ (I consider both PS+ and XBLG to be minimum requirements). So in two years I've given Sony a whopping $65, or $2.71 per month, for their cream of the crop output. If they had a Game Pass level $10/month service for me to sub to, including those first party games at launch, I guarantee I would have subbed. And that would have been $200-$240 for the sub alone over those same 2 years.

So the question isn't just "Would offering a subscription mean fewer people giving you $60/game?" It's also "How many people are giving you ~$2.71/month and will never give you $60 per game, but could be persuaded to pay $5 or $10 or $15/month if the service was worth it?" And a big part of the perceived value of Game Pass, no matter the criticisms of MS output this gen, is that I'm getting Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 and Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport 8 when they drop. I'm now giving MS more money for what I freely admit is worse first party output (though I do enjoy Halo, Gears, and Forza), because the third party games and getting first party games at launch makes it feel worthwhile.

Of course it's fair to point out PS Now, but from what I've seen PS Now just isn't that close in terms of third party content, much less first party. What's the best PS4 game on the service, seriously? Until Dawn? XCOM 2? God of War 3? And so Game Pass has effectively moved me from a 100% Sony customer two years ago to an 80% MS 20% Sony customer today, which is worth way more money to MS than hoping I buy some of their first party games for $60 instead of $10-25.

Great post.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
As many other topics in this forum, gamepass praise is a bit on the exaggerated side imo.
Don't get me wrong, it is a good service that has an audience, and more options are welcome.
But let's be realistic, so far the service has been constantly on promotion so value is obviously better than if it was full price.
At full price things change quite a bit: yes first party is there day one, but today's MS first party is anemic compared to Nintendo and Sony, maybe will change in the future, but today isn't there.
Third party content is probably better than other similar services, but seems to hit the service when the game doesn't sell enough and/or starts to drop in price. And for me one of the critical aspects of these kind of sub based services: they choose for you, so you have no idea if will really enjoy it. And games also come and go, so you can't also take the games for granted.

Reminds me of Netflix, i got it for free for 2 years, and it had relatively good quality content, but now quality is lower, price has been rised, and i have no promotions any more, and some shows i didn't have time to watch have are not there any more.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I am fascinated by Microsoft's gamepass initiative and how much it seems to be improving every month. There is already such a fantastic library of AAA, AA and indie games for a measly 10 bucks a month. I am not sure how much it is costing them to make this affordable to the consumers and publishers and I do not know how much MS are actually earning from the service, but kudos to them. I would love it if Sony & Nintendo do something like this.

Will we see Sony implement a gamepass like service for PS5? If not first party AAA games how about a service that contains third party AAA, AA and Indie games along with smaller AA first party output and PSVR games?

A game like Concrete Genie for example could really benefit from a gamepass like service. I doubt we will ever get to see a game like TLOU2 accessible on the day it releases for 10 bucks but surely a service with third party games can help propel the library?

Same with Nintendo, as I doubt you are going to be able to play the next Zelda for 10 bucks a month anytime soon.

What say era? Will we ever see a comparable service next gen from Sony or Nintendo?
I feel like MS is getting way more praise for this service than it deserves.

A bunch of old and very old games, with the MS day one exclusives that are very rare does not make me excited. I wanted to sign up with but before we knew how much of a shitshow Crackdown 3 was so I could also enjoy FH4, but then the reviews came in and it's not worth it for FH4 alone so now I'm waiting until the next big MS game to sub.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
However after a few years of PSNow doing little more than existing (which is where I think most of the bad perception comes from ; such a shitty launch is hard to erase from the minds of gamers) Sony have finally shown that they're willing to really improve and invest in the service. And it will be a much bigger part of the Playstation ecosystem next gen for sure. First party titles will never be there day one of course, nor should they, but I expect that the release/PSNow gap will be significantly shortened. Having big first party titles a couple of years later on PSNow would make it much more enticing.

Yeah, the main reason people don't mention PSNow as a GP competitor is that it wasn't intended to be. PSNow was a streaming-only service that I suspect was mainly a workaround to PS3 back-compatibility. Then it's slowly become more of a Netflix for Games (well, maybe more of a VRV for Games in its current state), but I think it still shows its original intent too much this gen.

Next-gen, I could see Sony actually working on it as a real Netflix for Games program. That GP has stuff like Monster Hunter, Prey, and Life is Strange 2 is a huge value. And for less than PSNow. Sony should catch up a lot though next-gen on this front.

I have no hope for Nintendo. I'm a huge pusher of online services (because I think a variety of features and content delivery systems is the most beneficial thing gaming can do for consumers), and after the whole headset nonsense with the Switch, I'm honestly just a bit deflated when it comes to Nintendo doing these things.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
It guess it does but it feels like an afterthought and nowhere close to the quality of Gamepass in both first and third party.

It seems to be getting well
superdatastreamingq318-r471x.png

52% of all streaming services, and it's an afterthought?

What's exactly makes the quality of third party titles on Gamepass better, since it has about 500 games less than PS Now?

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Yes they absolutely do, they have single handedly changed the way I consume games. I no longer buy games at ALL.

So it's kind of hard to play playstation exclusives nowadays, outside of renting or library. I really hope Sony jumps into this bandwagon and releases their own similar service, with every single 1st party game on day 1. Because if they don't I just cant see myself buying a playstation console in the future.

Game pass is the best thing to happen this generation.
Yup.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I think and hope that PSNow will at least get on par with Game Pass in regards to the 3rd party games. People who say that they offer the same games must be wearing blinders. The main difference right now in regards to 3rd party games is that Microsoft have more recent games, even a lot of indie games are day one. Right now i can play games like Shadow of The Tomb Raider, Just Cause 4, Prey and Monster Hunter World. I don't think i need to clarify why getting games earlier is better.

So for PSNow to get on par with Game Pass they need to at least have the same games on the service. There is no reason why i'm stuck with older games on PSNow.

As someone else has said they should also get first party games on PSNow sooner. We all now that we wont get them day one, but theres no reason why older games like Uncharted 4 isn't on yet.

I can easily see that PSNow becomes bigger on Playstation if Sony puts the work in a deliver next gen.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Sony don't have the infrastructure in place to do something like XGP. Thier studios release narrative driven single player games with little to no support after launch in terms of DLC.

Each of thier studios releases a game like this every 5-6 years. A service would require content and updates every few months m

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another feature they don't get enough credit for is how the licensing works with digital games, the home console sharing trick. I purchase a digital game, my brother and I can both play it, at the same time, on 2 different Xbox's, on our own accounts.

The reason I mention this is that it works with Game Pass too. I own Game Pass and my brother enjoys all the benefits at the same time, on his own Xbox.

If you don't know about the digital licensing on a Xbox, you get 2 licenses for every digital game: one bound to your account and one bound to your 'home Xbox'.
So to share your library with someone, you sign into their Xbox and set their Xbox to your 'home xbox' and they immediately get access to all your games. Then on your own Xbox, you have access to your entire library through your account's license.
And you can both play the games at the same time.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Another feature they don't get enough credit for is how the licensing works with digital games, the home console sharing trick. I purchase a digital game, my brother and I can both play it, at the same time, on 2 different Xbox's, on our own accounts.

The reason I mention this is that it works with Game Pass too. I own Game Pass and my brother enjoys all the benefits at the same time, on his own Xbox.

If you don't know about the digital licensing on a Xbox, you get 2 licenses for every digital game: one bound to your account and one bound to your Xbox.
So to share your library with someone, you sign into their Xbox and set their Xbox to your 'home xbox' and they immediately get access to all your games. Then on your own Xbox, you have access through your account's license.

It's great, I do think the same thing works on PS4 though.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's great, I do think the same thing works on PS4 though.

We tried to get it working on the PS4 and it doesn't work the same way. I forget the exact issue, but I think it was that you have to be signed into their account in the background to play their games. And you can only be signed into a single account on one PS4 at a time.

Or something like that. There is some barrier preventing it from working the same way it does on Xbox.

So it is a feature that we use to kind of borrow games for a short period of time. Which is nice, don't get me wrong, I played Spider-Man for free! But it is not the same convenience as no hassle access to the entire library simultaneously.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
We tried to get it working on the PS4 and it doesn't work the same way. I forget the exact issue, but I think it was that you have to be signed into their account in the background to play their games. And you can only be signed into a single account on one PS4 at a time.

no man, this is literally user error. It works exactly the same way on PS4 and it's also the exact same way to set up. Might wanna take another look at it.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I don't really care tbh. MS games do nothing for me and I like to own my games(or licenses, if you will) and be able to play them whenever I want. I don't want to be rushed to finish something, because it possible might disappear from the service. Also not using PS Now.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
You dont need to put your games day and date on these services to make people play them when you have quality studios like Sony and Nintendo.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no man, this is literally user error. It works exactly the same way on PS4 and it's also the exact same way to set up. Might wanna take another look at it.

Could be user error for sure, we couldn't find much information on it.

So player A sets their PS4 to player b's home console, player B sets their PS4 to player A's home console, and then you both can play the game at the same time?

That changed everything for us if that's true. I feel like we tried that and it didn't work but we'll have to try again.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they absolutely do, they have single handedly changed the way I consume games. I no longer buy games at ALL.

So it's kind of hard to play playstation exclusives nowadays, outside of renting or library. I really hope Sony jumps into this bandwagon and releases their own similar service, with every single 1st party game on day 1. Because if they don't I just cant see myself buying a playstation console in the future.

Yup.

Based on what you wrote they have zero reason to cater you. No way could AAA gaming survive if this was the common sentiment. Be thankful the rest of us are subsidizing your hobby.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It's ridiculous how many people fail to see the crucial difference between Game Pass and PS Now, their business models are fundamentally different. It's the difference between playing a new game day one, and playing it a few years later. Yes, the amount of games that launch into Game Pass is still very limited, but things have been steadily improving, with Microsoft citing Game Pass as one of the main reasons behind the recent Xbox Game Studios expansion. In practice, that difference is extremely important, and it saves subscribers the most money. The way I acquire first-party - and not just first-party - games has been transformed, and I'm certain that the way developers think about getting their games into people's hands is also changing.

Now, there's nothing stopping Sony from changing their business model, but the questions of "will they?" and "when?" still remain.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Could be user error for sure, we couldn't find much information on it.

So player A sets their PS4 to player b's home console, player B sets their PS4 to player A's home console, and then you both can play the game at the same time?

That changed everything for us if that's true. I feel like we tried that and it didn't work but we'll have to try again.
Yeah. Worked flawlessly for me.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't think it makes sense for Sony or Nintendo to offer this kind of service.

I'll be curious to see how Gamepass fares long term. It's a great value right now, but I suspect that Microsoft is currently taking a loss on it to carve out market share.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
The thing I want to see most with streaming game is a 'suspend' feature that lets me stop any game and resume from any device at any time.

I love the suspend feature on PS4 and Switch but I'd like to be able to fire up another game for a while before returning exactly where I was, even if I was busy juggling inventory items!

In fact, you can play the entire PSNow library on PC via streaming, something Gamepass doesn't allow yet.
Wow! How are save files handled for streaming games?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's cool to access to the MS first-party content but the rest of the catalog isn't that interesting for me, compared to the dozen of bundle offers that exists, and even just simple store sales. "Free gambas all night" is a cool restaurant formula but my stomach isn't extensive (as my lunch time). I also like to peck here and there in small indie diners no matter the price, or enjoying a prince menu with a collector edition.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The thing I want to see most with streaming game is a 'suspend' feature that lets me stop any game and resume from any device at any time.

I love the suspend feature on PS4 and Switch but I'd like to be able to fire up another game for a while before returning exactly where I was.

Wow! How are save files handled for streaming games?
PS Now saves everything in their own servers when streaming. So if you stream on the PS4 and then on the PC, you don't have to do anything as the save data is already there.

You have the option to download that save to your PS4 if you want though.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember exactly who picked it up before. But gamepass just made free games to gold members obsolete. But I think Sony and Nintendo maintain content value so the demand for exclusives remains. How about halo 5 was free faster than halo 3 went free right? Gamepass is a strange market. Because it's a lot easier to say nah this isn't actually fun and uninstall the game. Ps plus may be the better way of approaching maintained value and consistent membership. I think forza has been the only great thing I've found. And I ended up finding a used copy for 3 dollars and now will prob cancel game pass.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I love the suspend feature on PS4 and Switch but I'd like to be able to fire up another game for a while before returning exactly where I was, even if I was busy juggling inventory items!

You can already do that on Xbox One with some games. Granted, it's just a few titles, I believe that Threes! and Nutjitsu are among them. In fact, when Snap was still a thing, two games could've been played at the same time, theoretically, but only one would have focus - it could've worked well with turn-based games, where you're playing the other game while you're waiting for your opponent's turn to finish. I think the trick is those games are actually apps, and use only the amount of resources allocated to apps. It would be great if such a thing was implemented across the board, but if loading times will really be drastically reduced on next gen consoles, the need for such a feature naturally diminishes.

HMC

Aug 24, 2018
I hope so.

Haven't turned on my PS4 since spiderman launched. Gamepass keeps me busy.

This.

Gamepass also changed my sense of enjoyment based on value. Like, Just cause 4 would have been a disappointment at 65 bucks, but for free. I freakin' LOVE it. Very under-rated. Same with Vampyr and Prey. GP is stuffed with really good titles that I never would have bought...

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't PSnow more successful than GP?
So why would Sony need 2?

I think they should split them in 2 services, for people that do not want streaming. Expanding the "gamepass" subscription service they already have is easy. It's nothing more then a PS Store with subscription model on top of it, same as gamepass. Give it a fancy name and they can compete.

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
GamePass receives a ton of praise. Like, all the time. How much more praise do you want OP?

"More praise. Even MORE praise. GIVE ME MORE PRAISE!"

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'd love to see something like that from nintendo, but i think they'll be the last one to create a service like that. their first party games sell way too much and are way too important for their business to offer in a subscription service, and the third party lineup isn't as attractive as MS/sony to make people want to sub.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo makes ridiculous money on full price software they aren't gonna devalue their games doing something like that.