• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see a service like game pass from Sony & Nintendo next gen?

• Sony - Yes, all types of third and first party games ( AAA, AA, indie)

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Sony-Yes but only low budget first party games complemented by all types of third party games

Votes: 151 28.9%
  • Nintendo - Yes all types of third and first party games ( AAA, AA, indie)

Votes: 17 3.3%
  • Nintendo -Yes but only low budget first party games complemented by all types of third party games

Votes: 33 6.3%
  • Sony - Unlikely to have such a service next gen

Votes: 256 49.0%
  • Nintendo - Unlikely to have such a service next gen

Votes: 369 70.7%

• Total voters

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It guess it does but it feels like an afterthought and nowhere close to the quality of Gamepass in both first and third party.

Ps Now's downloadable library is significantly larger than all of Game Pass. All games are streamable to multiple platforms, and the total library is over 800 games.

It is frankly not on par with GP.

The only significant difference is that Microsoft's first party games have so little value compared to Sony's first party games that they can be tossed into a subscription service without fear of enormous losses.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sony will continue to evolve PS Now and we should expect some changes to the service to go along with the PS5. Will they put all first party titles day 1 on the service? Very doubtful. Will they put some first party titles on it and maybe toss the heavy hitters on the service several months to a year later? That's a bit more likely.

Agree with this.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread backfire lol

If anything MS gets too much credit for this, and they use that credit to dodge a ton of legitimate criticisms about the way they continue to handle this generation

Not sure what you mean by "continue", MS have demonstrated they're addressing critism about 1st party output. Everything else, they've been leading the way with crossplay, BC, accessibility controller for a neglected section of the gaming populace, third party service integration like EA access, console hardware etc.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Telling Sony to put their AAA 1st party on PS Now day one is like telling marvel to release Endgame on Disney+ first day..

Why do this if you know enough people are willing to pay for it?

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, because MS wants to be integrated in everything like Google is. This was gonna happen sooner or later.

I don't doubt that. I just have to wonder more I guess if the offerings would be as robust, such as day one for first party, or the pricing being as cheap as it often is since Gamepass is on sale almost all the time.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony already has it with PS Now. Their third party offering (even when just considering the ps4 downloadable titles rather than include the streaming ps3 titles) is actually very comparable to GamePass. Their first parties are not featured day and date for obvious reasons, but I do think they will bring down the average amount of time it takes for those to show up on the service next gen.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt that. I just have to wonder more I guess if the offerings would be as robust, such as day one for first party, or the pricing being as cheap as it often is since Gamepass is on sale almost all the time.
Yeah no way to tell for sure. A company in desperation mode is good for us, I guess.

Jan 10, 2018
Yes, because MS wants to be integrated in everything like Google is. This was gonna happen sooner or later.

Windows Phone when?

Sorry, was hard not to

It seems to be getting well
superdatastreamingq318-r471x.png

But will Sony offer such a service?

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ps Now's downloadable library is significantly larger than all of Game Pass. All games are streamable to multiple platforms, and the total library is over 800 games.

The only significant difference is that Microsoft's first party games have so little value compared to Sony's first party games that they can be tossed into a subscription service without fear of enormous losses.

I'd wager all MS 1st party games are just as costly to make as anything Sony puts out and MS multiplayer games being far bigger then anything Sony can offer, and despite that they're on subscription day 1, so that is a sizable amount of value that others do not provide.

Telling Sony to put their AAA 1st party on PS Now day one is like telling marvel to release Endgame on Disney+ first day..

Because GP increases sales for games that arnt flat out shit (CD3), this has been reported by MS.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see Sony putting their first-party games day one on PS Now as part of the initiative to push cloud gaming next gen with more competition coming into the space. Harken back to what Cerny has said that they are pioneers of this space, it's really inevitable that it'll happen.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has PSNow and will continue with it, but no way will they have day 1 releases included with PSNow.

Jan 10, 2018
I'd wager all MS 1st party games are just as costly to make as anything Sony puts out and MS multiplayer games being far bigger then anything Sony can offer, and despite that they're on subscription day 1, so that is a sizable amount of value that others do not provide.

Because GP increases sales for games that arnt flat out shit (CD3), this has been reported by MS.

Was that exactly Microsofts edited wording? Gamepass sells games, except Crackdown 3 because that one was shit?

People need to realize that if Sony could make more money doing what Microsoft does with Game Pass, they would probably do it in a heartbeat.

It seems to be getting well
superdatastreamingq318-r471x.png

Could?

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Naw, I'll just keep using Game Pass lite: Instant Game Collection. (and Games with Gold) Maybe eventually I'll get PSNow since it has downloads now.

My wish is Sony just expand on those 2 vs another separate sub.

Oct 27, 2017
People need to realize that if Sony could make more money doing what Microsoft does with Game Pass, they would probably do it in a heartbeat.
Yeah, I believe that even MS doesn't know whether gp will make them more money in 3 years or so. I wonder why they don't release game pass numbers.
If people were clever they'd gamepass Halo Infinite ...those who only play it for the campaign pay 10$ or less instead of 60$.
Good for consumers, not a healthy business model in the long run. The state can cut taxes by 50% which is pro-citizen, but is that really a good thing?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 days): System warring.
Sony will continue to evolve PS Now and we should expect some changes to the service to go along with the PS5. Will they put all first party titles day 1 on the service? Very doubtful. Will they put some first party titles on it and maybe toss the heavy hitters on the service several months to a year later? That's a bit more likely.
Been saying this for a long time. The same way Disney puts out Marvel and Star wars movies to stream 6 months after release because they get crazy high sales at release. If Sony does anything, it'll be this.

Thread backfire lol

If anything MS gets too much credit for this, and they use that credit to dodge a ton of legitimate criticisms about the way they continue to handle this generation

Yup. People fawn over Microsoft for this thing almost no games get released. Reminds me a lot about how people prised ms for adding more services to the Xbox os and I was like "ok, I bought a console to play games not to get a new app on the os"

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Let's be clear. Game Pass is better than PS Now. Not because of the day and date first party. Or at least not solely. The entire library, especially third party, is better. Way. Way. Better. In the same way that people legitimately criticize Microsoft's first party lineup, so do I criticize ps now's. God of War is there. Three. Uncharted is there. Three. And I think that's ok. But then you get hundreds of games that nobody wants to play.

Game pass completely outclasses on third party library and quality. Just straight up.

Nintendo can't afford this service. They make their money on sales. This is not additive to their business model.

Sony certainly operates ps now. But, not the way Microsoft has been willing to. Until they spend the money to make the big deals, that's what shows consumers that Sony isn't taking PS Now seriously. That's definitely fixable. Sony can always spend the money to upgrade. I hope they will. It's a great thing for consumers

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. People fawn over Microsoft for this thing almost no games get released. Reminds me a lot about how people prised ms for adding more services to the Xbox os and I was like "ok, I bought a console to play games not to get a new app on the os"
Lol What do their 1st/2nd party offerings have to do with how they handle online services, their OS, and subscriptions? They can be weak in one area while being rightly praised for excelling in another, as odd of a concept that may be for you

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the 3P games on PSNOW that match the value of Monster Hunter World, Shadow of the Tomb Raider or Just Cause 4 on Gamepass?
I'm talking about overall breadth and variety. Not a select few. If we were talking about which service tends to have the more recent big name third party titles, then sure Gamepass takes that crown.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Microsoft has an angel in Phil Spencer steering the ship. Thanks to him we'll probably see Banjo Kazooie in Smash. He's an open minded and gamer-centric leader. Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves available for free on launch through Gamepass is just insane - show me an offer that good from the other console makers.

Sony has completely descended into arrogance so I don't know or care if they'll implement a service as generous as Gamepass but it's not bloody likely. Don't even mention Nintendo and online in the same sentence.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Although Sony already has that service and has had it before XGP was even a thing I definitely agree with people who say that the library of games is lacking. I completely understand why Sony doesn't put their 1st party games on the service on day 1, but I don't understand why older exclusives aren't on the service yet. Where are the inFAMOUS games? How about Uncharted 4? The Remastered versions of The Last of Us and the PS3 Uncharted games? And the list goes on.

Oct 25, 2017

Or they could realize that giving away their critically aclaimed and enormous selling exclusives for $10 a month($1 at times) makes little financial sense at all. Doubly so for Nintendo. They aren't missing out on anything by devaluing their games completely.

Clocian

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Microsoft has an angel in Phil Spencer steering the ship. Thanks to him we'll probably see Banjo Kazooie in Smash. He's an open minded and gamer-centric leader. Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves available for free on launch through Gamepass is just insane - show me an offer that good from the other console makers.

Sony has completely descended into arrogance so I don't know or care if they'll implement a service as generous as Gamepass but it's not bloody likely. Don't even mention Nintendo and online in the same sentence.

I'd rather pay full price Sony 1st party games than pay the 10 bucks for Sea of thieves and crackdown 3, or any 1st party game MS has offered this gen. That's just me though...

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Okay so for starters you can't equate a movie that makes most of its money in theaters And is a wholly different experience in theaters to a game. Stop.

You can mitigate what you'd "lose" being day one on PS now. Offer enticing collectors editions, offer season pass bundles, do early release ultimate editions. It's not difficult. Plus the game is still gonna sell. People like to own things. Forza Horizon 4 ultimate charted on NPD even though it was on Gamepass. Some of y'all act like Sony has Nintendo level IP. Spider-Man is already $40 not even a year later. BOTW is still $60 still selling. Mario Odyssey still $60 still selling. When your first party titles are still selling at full price 2 years later....then we can talk about devaluing using a subscription service. This doesn't make sense for Nintendo, Sony imo has little to lose if a thing.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Sony will probably mimick the "Netflix Originals" or "Hulu Essentials" branding release with PS Now. You'll have 1st party titles appear on the service months after it's release or create PS Now service exclusive titles (Cloud exclusive), to lure consumers to their Streaming ecosystem.

Gamepass strategy works exclusively with Microsoft's current 1st party software output situation as they can't seem the match the competitive output of Sony / Nintendo.

If anything, Microsoft was smart to capitalize on the weak aspects of their 1st party divisions by inundating Gamepass with 1st party offerings and an abundance of third party titles as Sony / Nintendo won't be adopting the concept any time soon in the future. Leaving an entirely new digital service venue to themselves with no competition available to grab a portion of the revenue.

Microsoft will be wise to blow up this service as mindshare for next gen consoles resets to 0

I am fully expecting Gamepass to be at the forefront for their next gen digital game streaming strategy.

Last edited:

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Essentially you want Sony's first party games in PSNow, a game subscription service they've had going for almost 5 years now, and is actually cheaper than Gamepass at the annual subscription price point of $100/year ($8.30/month) that also allows for the online portion of games to be accessed without Playstation Plus, unlike Xbox Game Pass which needs Xbox Live Gold in order to do the same thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so for starters you can't equate a movie that makes most of its money in theaters And is a wholly different experience in theaters to a game. Stop.

You can mitigate what you'd "lose" being day one on PS now. Offer enticing collectors editions, offer season pass bundles, do early release ultimate editions. It's not difficult. Plus the game is still gonna sell. People like to own things. Forza Horizon 4 ultimate charted on NPD even though it was on Gamepass. Some of y'all act like Sony has Nintendo level IP. Spider-Man is already $40 not even a year later. BOTW is still $60 still selling. Mario Odyssey still $60 still selling. When your first party titles are still selling at full price 2 years later....then we can talk about devaluing using a subscription service. This doesn't make sense for Nintendo, Sony imo has little to lose if a thing.

Terrible take which is the norm for you. Sony has plenty to lose.

Oct 26, 2017

Plenty of Sony's IPs have become incredibly successful. Maybe their highest selling games don't reach Nintendo's sales heights but they've begun to match Nintendo nowadays and so would have plenty to lose from putting their high profile titles in something like GamePass early on

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone just ignoring / downplaying PS Now is increasingly funny to me. But you're all correct that it feels like PS Now isn't pushed as aggressively, and getting all MS first party games day one is a boon. That said, pound for pound, I'd still say PS Now might actually be the better service for my taste at the moment, because MS 1st party hasn't kicked into gear at all yet... while you can play older first party Sony games like TLOU on PS Now... and I'd rather play that than Crackdown 3, personally.

Still. As things stand, I think Game Pass will quickly overtake PS Now, and Sony would gain from promoting it more. I expect they will very much do that as they kick off the next generation.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
I think Gamepass is cool and probably going to be an inspiration for similar services sometime in the future but I doubt Sony and Nintendo will follow suit soon. In fact, I think it is an example of Microsoft sort of stumbling in to innovation and success. If Xbox was as strong this generation as it was last generation I doubt it would have ever existed.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
It's a little odd to keep hearing people use Crackdown 3 as the metric to good 1st party games on the service. Not only will future 1st party show up there from the studios MS has acquired, decent 3rd party offerings are also there, as well as not ignoring indies. It's truly a service built for the gamer.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a little odd to keep hearing people use Crackdown 3 as the metric to good 1st party games on the service. Not only will future 1st party show up there from the studios MS has acquired, decent 3rd party offerings are also there, as well as not ignoring indies. It's truly a service built for the gamer.
To be fair, Microsoft's overall output this gen has been rather lackluster so I can see why they're being a bit dismissive but, yeah, even so, I think there's plenty of signs that their output will be much better going forward so something like Crackdown 3 shouldn't be what we're looking towards as an example of Microsoft's best

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I mean I see Gamepass being praised daily here, and rightly so. It obliterates PSNow in terms of value right now.

However after a few years of PSNow doing little more than existing (which is where I think most of the bad perception comes from ; such a shitty launch is hard to erase from the minds of gamers) Sony have finally shown that they're willing to really improve and invest in the service. And it will be a much bigger part of the Playstation ecosystem next gen for sure. First party titles will never be there day one of course, nor should they, but I expect that the release/PSNow gap will be significantly shortened. Having big first party titles a couple of years later on PSNow would make it much more enticing.

Nintendo isn't even part of the conversation.