• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yeah, Nadella. Show 'em how it's done. Those fools mocked you for years, but they didn't know the world is yours to take, King.

Wait, is this the same Satya Nadella that approved the use of Kinect to spy on Xbox owners, mostly children?

Microsoft Contractors Listened to Xbox Owners in Their Homes - Motherboard (VICE)

Microsoft's privacy policy admits contractors listen to Cortana, Skype recordings | PCWorld

Nah, it can't be. I'm sure it was S. Nadella, the same one that signed a $480m army contract using technology developed out of Kinect to "increase lethality" and defended it saying "we're not going to withhold technology from institutions that we have elected in democracies".

'We won't be war profiteers': Microsoft workers protest $480m army contract | The Guardian

Microsoft CEO defends Pentagon contract following employee outcry - The Verge

"We made a principled decision that we're not going to withhold technology from institutions that we have elected in democracies to protect the freedoms we enjoy,"? Fucking yikes, mate.

Well, that S. Nadella sure is an asshole. Maybe he was the one that was proud of the Azure cloud services they offer to ICE to "to accelerate facial recognition and identification"?

The employee letter denouncing Microsoft's ICE contract now has over 300 signatures - The Verge

I hope we hear less about S. Nadella and more about Xbox God Satya Nadella. Go forth, my sweet Conqueror. Embrace, extend and extinguish my deepest and darkest dreams and bring value to my Xbox Game Pass buying Sega Sammy, Square Enix, Warner Bros., Capcom, From Software, Bungie, Remedy and every developer and distributor who stands in your way. 'Cause that's all I care about (this week at least).

Sorry about the off-topic (or whataboutism idk 🤷‍♂️), but the takes I keep reading this couple of days idolizing and celebrating the CEO of a trillion-dollar corporation and their strategy to consolidate the industry are little bit disgusting. You do you, though.
Wow damn. Well put comment

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Alot of MS fans here. I wonder if they felt the same way if Sony went out and brought Capcom and allowed them to publish on PC/Nintendo but not on the Xbox. I hope they have the same praises.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think I'm celebrating the Bethesda deal? I couldn't give less of a fuck, I have all platforms.

Not at all, I'm saying the weeks on this board we had following the Spider Man exclusivity deal where the vast majority declared Sony anti-consumer suggests that their exclusivity deals are only celebrated by the most absolute militant fanboys. Most are either against them or just don't care.

Oct 27, 2017
I've said this a million times. Never compare the music biz with any other entertainment industry. It's been fucked way, way, way before streaming even existed.

The music biz definitely had problems before streaming. Streaming just drove another nail in its coffin.

True we'll have to see, but tv/movie studios are more similar to video game studios than musicians/bands are. Microsoft is directly following the Netflix model, which has been wildly successful in enabling all kinds of content to flourish.

True, movie studios are closer to video game studios. Netflix has been extremely successful, I'm just not a fan of streaming in general, where you pay to rent stuff. At least HBO release their series on DVD/BD, but no such luck with Netflix over here. If I want to watch Stranger Things, there's no option but to pay for a Netflix sub. Will have to see what Disney does with Mandalorian, if they'll release it on DVD/BD or if it'll be locked to Disney+

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Not at all, I'm saying the weeks on this board we had following the Spider Man exclusivity deal where the vast majority declared Sony anti-consumer suggests that their exclusivity deals are only celebrated by the most absolute militant fanboys. Most are either against them or just don't care.
Let's be honest: if Sony had bought Bethesda, Sony users would be celebrating, and if Spider-Man had been exclusive to Xbox, Microsoft fans would be celebrating. It's simple, really lmao

Dec 4, 2018
I have no idea how people can be so sure of their assertions of Microsoft especially with the awful track record the US has regulating corporations and in the tech industry. I'm also surprised at the people personifying and projecting on Microsoft as if it were person who is an underdog. The mental gymnastics there is real.

The whole "Sony has swooped in and taken things from poor Microsoft" narrative I think I can deal with. That comes to perspective. Another perspective is people (the world) know Microsoft and just like people reject Amazon/Walmart, they reject Microsoft. Until Microsoft buys out your investor/lease own/publisher/livelihood etc..

Microsoft small? Not a monopoly anymore? Not relevant? Microsoft was and still is what we call a near monopoly. Microsoft runs 87% of the worlds PC's with Windows 10 projecting to reach 75% of the world's PC's by July 2021. (Microsoft's own projections are more specific and actually even more optimistic across other services.) Microsoft is still Microsoft just bigger than before and going into more places.

Sorry about the off-topic (or whataboutism idk 🤷‍♂️), but the takes I keep reading this couple of days idolizing and celebrating the CEO of a trillion-dollar corporation and their strategy to consolidate the industry are little bit disgusting. You do you, though.

I'm completely grossed out too.

Last edited:

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest: if Sony had bought Bethesda, Sony users would be celebrating, and if Spider-Man had been exclusive to Xbox, Microsoft fans would be celebrating. It's simple, really lmao
Yeah, the dumb ones. These kinds of acquisitions are bad for the industry.

Edit: Still, let's not equate Sony making an exclusive Spider-Man game to Microsoft buying Zenimax. Smh.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Can MS somehow revive Mistwalker or at least make a sequel to Blue Dragon and lost odyssey with their moneies =(

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Yeah, the dumb ones. These kinds of acquisitions are bad for the industry.

Edit: Still, let's not equate Sony making an exclusive Spider-Man game to Microsoft buying Zenimax. Smh.
I don't see how Microsoft being more competitive can be bad for the industry, a PlayStation monopoly in Europe is bad for consumers (80€ for a game etc.).

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best part of this is how squarely it's Jim Ryan's fault.

Sony was going brutally hard after third-party exclusives in an effort to exacerbate the hole in MS' first-party offerings for 2021. And he was so eager to try to replicate the anti-MS sentiment from the dawn of the current gen by disingenuously emphasizing how Sony "believes in generations."

$7.5B is a big fucking check to cut, even for MS. I think if Sony hadn't been so aggressive over the past six months or so Microsoft wouldn't have felt such urgency to push forward with that kind of expensive acquisition. (Frankly, you can do a lot of Gamepass bolstering with $7.5B without needing to buy a publisher.)

Just a complete mis-read of the strength of his hand.
I feel like this is more about bolstering themselves against growing organisations like Tencent than some petty retaliation against Sony.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how Microsoft being more competitive can be bad for the industry, a PlayStation monopoly in Europe is bad for consumers (80€ for a game etc.).
Competitive? That's what we're calling buying up publishers?

Honestly if Apple bought Take Two, Epic, and, I dunno, CDPR people wouldn't be cheerleading this shit. What if Sony consolidates a bunch of Japanese publishers? You're literally advocating shrinking the industry and making it less competitive.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly if Apple bought Take Two, Epic, and, I dunno, CDPR people wouldn't be cheerleading this shit. What if Sony consolidates a bunch of Japanese publishers? You're literally advocating shrinking the industry and making it less competitive.
most people expect sony to buy at least one dev, also capcom got saved by mhw otherwise they likelly would have been bought. and yes, I totaly expect amazon and google at some point to stop mewssing around the edges of gamming and buy a big publisher. who I dont know.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
I think consolidation and these kind of massive corporate buyouts are a bad thing. That said, I do think there is value in Microsoft putting themselves in a position to put up more of a fighting chance against Sony, cause lord knows the console space needs a little more competition between the platform holders.

If some of the reporting by Grubb and others was correct, that Zenimax was looking for a buyer, I think in terms of fostering the studios and talent, that being snatched up and made into a first-party by a platform holder is preferable to getting absorbed into something like EA or Ubisoft.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017
Even so, PlayStation gamers might benefit. Game Pass got us the PlayStation Plus Collection. Sony didn't need to be competitive before because it was the market leader by far. Now they might actually have to give a shit about their consumers and match Xbox on consumer-friendly practices.

I could easily say that if Sony wasn't such a threat, Xbox wouldn't have been forced to adopt these "consumer-friendly practices" (I can easily create a narrative too)

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious how many people claiming this is good completely ignore knock on impacts and how Microsoft doesn't "compete" rather they suffocate competition. But, guys, I'm sure it'll be different this time.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Continued history of platform warring
Alot of MS fans here. I wonder if they felt the same way if Sony went out and brought Capcom and allowed them to publish on PC/Nintendo but not on the Xbox. I hope they have the same praises.

MS PR have down a great job brainwashing their fans. Literally everything Sony does is anti competitive and anti consumer while MS can buy freaking Bethesda specifically to deny those games to PS players and it's a great thing, they're improving the industry etc etc

Make no mistake had it been Sony that had bought Zenimax the same people would be screaming bloody murder about how anti consumer it is.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
MS PR have down a great job brainwashing their fans. Literally everything Sony does is anti competitive and anti consumer while MS can buy freaking Bethesda specifically to deny those games to PS players and it's a great thing, they're improving the industry etc etc

Make no mistake had it been Sony that had bought Zenimax the same people would be screaming bloody murder about how anti consumer it is.
I rember the ff16 thread being mostly positive, same with twitter.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna

With console warriors, this is true on all sides. Yes, MS fans would have reacted the same way as Sony fans are doing now, this is the nature of console warriors/fanboys.

because I hope you are not implying that one sides console warriors are somehow better than the other side, right?

Last edited:

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I rember the ff16 thread being mostly positive, same with twitter.

The apples to orchard comparison of a timed exclusivity deal for a single game to this are also rather hilarious.

Remember Sony were raked over the coals for paying for an exclusive character in a game? How evil and anti competitive and anti consumer they were?

But buying one of the biggest publishers in the world to keep those games permanently off PlayStation? That's a good thing right?

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019

New publishers will appear, new big publishers have appeared in the last years like Focus Home and probably CDPR in the future too. People saying this is bad assume that publishers are limited and that no new big publishers appear every few years, Focus Home was very small until like two years and now they are competitive and producing pretty big games like A Plague Tale.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Are you ok? This isn't the biggest platform holder buying the biggest publisher. The biggest platform is still Sony even after this deal and I was told by fans of that platform that you just have to lockdown exclusive content to be successful?

but keep those John Oliver style rants coming, I appreciate the energy

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I feel like this is more about bolstering themselves against growing organisations like Tencent than some petty retaliation against Sony.
I agree. This purchase reminds us how small Sony is compared to the companies that will own the future of gaming—tencent, Amazon, Apple, Google and Microsoft. MS was serious when they said Sony is not competition. These companies are going after the 3 billion global gamers, not relatively niche console business.

Jul 28, 2020

I see your point but the internet has been rolling with "Microsoft has no games" for the past however long.

Last gen started with endless 900p memes.

Now they have the most powerful console, and they have more games.

They took the feedback and acted upon it. If they hadn't, there's a good chance that Sony would have increased their market share further and that they'd have become the monster you're fearing now.

Personally, I don't particularly care about the games Microsoft have just added to their roster (but I'll play some of them on gamepass for sure). But if I wanted to look for a positive, Microsoft could be a force for good here. Single player story games are becoming less plentiful vs F2P fortnight, apex legends, the endless online FPS', etc.

If Microsoft can provide more incentive to make great single player games, vs making very profitable games, which is what some of the titles in this acquisition arguably represent, we might see some positive steps towards more interesting games being developed more often (assuming you don't think Fortnite, etc. Represent the pinnacle of the form).

It'll be interesting to see what happens, hopefully Microsoft's portfolio will mean they focus on delivering great experiences for their customers, and if those games are any good, we might see more studios making more of those games to compete but also maybe to sell to the people who don't want to buy into Microsoft's platforms.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. This purchase reminds us how small Sony is compared to the companies that will own the future of gaming—tencent, Amazon, Apple, Google and Microsoft. MS was serious when they said Sony is not competition. These companies are going after the 3 billion global gamers, not relatively niche console business.
also we are talking 6 studios in the deal, its not like ms picked up a dozen studios.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Fuck yeah, Nadella. Show 'em how it's done. Those fools mocked you for years, but they didn't know the world is yours to take, King.

Wait, is this the same Satya Nadella that approved the use of Kinect to spy on Xbox owners, mostly children?

Microsoft Contractors Listened to Xbox Owners in Their Homes - Motherboard (VICE)

Microsoft's privacy policy admits contractors listen to Cortana, Skype recordings | PCWorld

Nah, it can't be. I'm sure it was S. Nadella, the same one that signed a $480m army contract using technology developed out of Kinect to "increase lethality" and defended it saying "we're not going to withhold technology from institutions that we have elected in democracies".

'We won't be war profiteers': Microsoft workers protest $480m army contract | The Guardian

Microsoft CEO defends Pentagon contract following employee outcry - The Verge

"We made a principled decision that we're not going to withhold technology from institutions that we have elected in democracies to protect the freedoms we enjoy,"? Fucking yikes, mate.

Well, that S. Nadella sure is an asshole. Maybe he was the one that was proud of the Azure cloud services they offer to ICE to "to accelerate facial recognition and identification"?

The employee letter denouncing Microsoft's ICE contract now has over 300 signatures - The Verge

I hope we hear less about S. Nadella and more about Xbox God Satya Nadella. Go forth, my sweet Conqueror. Embrace, extend and extinguish my deepest and darkest dreams and bring value to my Xbox Game Pass buying Sega Sammy, Square Enix, Warner Bros., Capcom, From Software, Bungie, Remedy and every developer and distributor who stands in your way. 'Cause that's all I care about (this week at least).

good%20job%20clapping%20reaction%20memes.gif

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
The music biz definitely had problems before streaming. Streaming just drove another nail in its coffin.

True, movie studios are closer to video game studios. Netflix has been extremely successful, I'm just not a fan of streaming in general, where you pay to rent stuff. At least HBO release their series on DVD/BD, but no such luck with Netflix over here. If I want to watch Stranger Things, there's no option but to pay for a Netflix sub. Will have to see what Disney does with Mandalorian, if they'll release it on DVD/BD or if it'll be locked to Disney+

FYI https://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Thi...08BJ9HC57/ref=pd_sbs_74_6/132-4295962-3524139

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I'd appreciate Sony making any meaningful moves to pc tbh

instead they seem intent on locking things in their walled garden which they just raised the price of entry too

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Are you ok? This isn't the biggest platform holder buying the biggest publisher. The biggest platform is still Sony even after this deal and I was told by fans of that platform that you just have to lockdown exclusive content to be successful?

but keep those John Oliver style rants coming, I appreciate the energy

Microsoft has practically bought more studios in the last four years than Sony has in total. They are not the underdog.