• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 20, 2019
Doom was stagnant for over a decade until doom (2016) released. Guerilla had their chance with killzone but after several average games they gave up on it. Kill zone could have become the next big fps. And then the situation would be similar. But Guerilla wasn't able to make it so.

He his talking about the buy out of the studios, not the quality of the IP:...

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Even more? At this point I think the money is better spent strengthening their current 23 studios with more funds and resources.

Gamepass will have INSANE content in couple of years

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we will the see the scale of Zenimax, but I can see MS swooping in an picking up Digital Extremes - assuming that something went sideways with DE's talks with Tencent. Or FromSoftware - given their working relationship with Elden Ring.

MS making moves, that is for sure.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
For me this was already a problem regardless of this purchase so that's why I am not phased by this purchase. Buying each console each generation has always been a must for me.

I would like you to actually take a step back and consider your rebuttal to me saying a lot of people outside of the enthusiast community don't buy multiple consoles and therefore this means fewer games they have available to them. And it shouldn't be that difficult to extrapolate why consolidation of giant studios/game companies is something that would negatively affect the people that can't or don't want to own multiple consoles.

Because that's not their platform of choice.

Really? Ok.

Naughty Dog was a fairly niche developer in the late 80's and early 90's. They made a trilogy of Crash games exclusively for Sony and both found a lot of critical and commercial success for the first time while helping to build the PlayStation brand. Here is the list of games they released before making games exclusively for Sony:

• Math Jam (as JAM Software)
  • Ski Crazed (as JAM Software)
  • Dream Zone (as JAM Software)
  • Keef the Thief
  • Rings of Power
  • Way of the Warrior

Guerrilla Games was even more niche before they made Killzone exclusively for Sony in 2004. Sony acquired them in 2005. Here's the list of games they released before making games exclusively for Sony:

• Dizzy's Candy Quest (as Lost Boys Games)
  • Rhino Rumble (as Lost Boys Games)
  • Black Belt Challenge (as Lost Boys Games)
  • Invader (as Lost Boys Games)
  • Shellshock: Name '67

Sucker Punch was arguably even more niche than Guerilla Games before they made the first Sly Cooper game exclusively for Sony in 2002. Here's the list of games they released before making games exclusively for Sony (acquired as a studio in 2011):

• Rocket: Robot on Wheels

Insomniac's first game was exclusively developed for Sony (Disruptor), and they made games exclusively for Sony from 1996 to 2012.

Okay, now here's the same breakdown for the Zenimax/Bethesda acquisition.

Bethesda Game Studios has not made an exclusive game for Microsoft. Before the acquisition, they made The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games for multiple platforms (and Starfield would have been the same).

id Software has not made an exclusive game for Microsoft. Before the acquisition, they made Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein and Rage (among some others) for multiple platforms.

Machine games has not made an exclusive game for Microsoft. Before the acquisition, they made the new Wolfenstein games for multiple platforms.

Tango Gameworks has not made an exclusive game for Microsoft. The Evil Within games were multiplatform.

Arkane Studios made Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic as console exclusives for Microsoft (before being a Bethesda Studio), and Prey and the Dishonored games were multiplatform.

It is pretty clear that your comparison is...I'll be kind and say not well thought out.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Even though I know there will be nothing, I still hope they show Elden Ring - fully knowing they would save that for a larger games showcase later in the year probably.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Eh...Microsoft has no obligation to do it like Sony. Bethesda/Zenimax now benefits from being first party. From Playground:

"We could talk to other studios, but it had to be filtered. You had to go through certain channels. If we wanted to find out about new technology or initiatives that were coming through, there was a time and a place for that to happen, and it was usually just behind the curve," Fulton said in the interview.

"Now that we're a first party studio, I can pick up the phone and dial out to 343 Studios, The Coalition, Ninja Theory - we can start talking about technology, tools, all of those conversations are easy to have."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/6385...usses-benefits-microsoft-ownership/index.html

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
All process arguments are insincere, including this one.

A platform owner buying a studio always robs the competing platforms of future games - even when previously, there had been a close working relationship. Had Naughty Dog not been purchased by Sony, for example, their games would have eventually become multiplatform again. Previously they had released games for Apple II, 3DO, and Sega Genesis. Indeed, Naughty Dog's franchises from the Playstation Era did become multiplatform again in the PS2 era. Playground Games could easily have started a second smaller studio to develop games concurrently with their Microsoft Forza commitments - plenty of studios have a relationship with a company while also maintaining other devleopment. BluePoint is now considered a favourite for a Sony acquisition, which makes strategic sense, but they've worked on ports to Xbox in the past (doing very impressive work with Titanfall). There's nothing stopping Bluepoint from choosing to seek another publishing partner for a 3rd party game as soon as DeSouls ships - they're not contractually bound to Sony forevermore by law because they've done a couple of high profile remasters for them.

It's all corporate consolidation, none of it is "good". Somebody being bothered by the scale I can understand, but that's the only difference that is actually meaningful here. The whole industry has been getting swallowed up by these big publishers for the last 20+ years. The list of independent developers is smaller than ever. And now one of the smaller publishers has been acquired by Microsoft. But this notion that actually there's a right way to consolidate and a wrong way to consolidate feels very insincere.

This notion you're saying? I never said it. All I said was the perception was different. I never argued that any sort of corporate consolidation is good, but it's interesting that context matters now when it hasn't previously.

I don't want people losing their jobs. I don't want people losing access to games because frankly it's antithetical to what Microsoft is supposedly about.

I think what's happened in this thread is gross because it completely strips any of the human impact of these moves. Which is considerable. I know I'll come off a self-righteous dickhead because that's kinda how I am but I will stand by this.

The people acting like this is some chess board and cheering these moves, whatever they are, are wrong. And you defending these moves, if what you argue in your last sentence is what you believe, doesn't make sense either.

I appreciate you at least took the time to have a measured reply unlike the rest of the Bring It On crew.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Which is my point. Or are you trying to say Fuse and Sunset Overdrive make Insomniac's acquisition an entirely different scenario ? Because I very much doubt most, if not all, primarily Xbox gamers considered it much of a loss.

I would agree Sony acquiring Insomniac is similar to Xbox acquiring Playground. Insomniac's legacy and most successful games were on PlayStation.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seems to forget that Sony in the past bought Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, Insomniac and now they have some amazing first party games... Why not Xbox?

I mean those acquisitions and the Bethesda acquisition are two different things.
  • Naughty Dog: Acquired by Sony in 2001, by that point had been working exclusively with Sony for five years.
  • Guerrilla Games: Acquired by Sony in 2005, at that point had already created the Killzone franchise with Sony.
  • Sucker Punch Productions: Acquired by Sony in 2011, all of its games except for one Nintendo 64 title were published by Sony. Had already created Sly Cooper and inFAMOUS together.
  • Insomniac: Acquired by Sony in 2019. 90 percent of its lifetime output has been published by Sony. Had already created Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, and the Marvel's Spider-Man game series together.
In the situations above, Sony was basically already acting as a parent studio. I would throw Microsoft's acquisitions of Undead Labs and Playground Games into the same category. These acquisitions are OK by me.

Then you have Bethesda, a major publisher which operates eight studios and owns a catalog of iconic IP that have existed across multiple platforms for many years, and have never really worked with Microsoft directly other than in bringing Morrowind to the original Xbox. Surely you can see the difference?

I know people keep bringing-up Spiderman in Avengers, but it's been 4 years, I'm sure I'll get to play Street Fighter 5 on Xbox any day now, right?

I don't really know the situation with Street Fighter V to be honest, but from what I recall, Capcom wasn't the powerhouse it is now at the time and wouldn't have been able to make Street Fighter V without funding from Sony. I could be wrong here, so feel free to correct me if so.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018

Bethesda Game Studios has not made an exclusive game for Microsoft. Before the acquisition, they made The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games for multiple platforms (and Starfield would have been the same).

I'm not disagreeing with your broader point, but lets not re-write history here. Bethesda gained popularity in the console space by working closely with MSFT developing Morrowind for Xbox, and Oblivion as a timed Xbox 360 exclusive. They did not release a console game before that.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean those acquisitions and the Bethesda acquisition are two different things.
  • Naughty Dog: Acquired by Sony in 2001, by that point had been working exclusively with Sony for five years.
  • Guerrilla Games: Acquired by Sony in 2005, at that point had already created the Killzone franchise with Sony.
  • Sucker Punch Productions: Acquired by Sony in 2011, all of its games except for one Nintendo 64 title were published by Sony. Had already created Sly Cooper and inFAMOUS together.
  • Insomniac: Acquired by Sony in 2019. 90 percent of its lifetime output has been published by Sony. Had already created Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, and the Marvel's Spider-Man game series together.
In the situations above, Sony was basically already acting as a parent studio. I would throw Microsoft's acquisitions of Undead Labs and Playground Games into the same category. These acquisitions are OK by me.

Then you have Bethesda, a major publisher which operates eight studios and owns a catalog of iconic IP that have existed across multiple platforms for many years, and have never really worked with Microsoft directly other than in bringing Morrowind to the original Xbox. Surely you can see the difference?

I don't really know the situation with Street Fighter V to be honest, but from what I recall, Capcom wasn't the powerhouse it is now at the time and wouldn't have been able to make Street Fighter V without funding from Sony. I could be wrong here, so feel free to correct me if so.

I have some serious, serious doubts about this. What game where the predecessor sold 10+ million copies has ever had a problem with funding?

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I would like you to actually take a step back and consider your rebuttal to me saying a lot of people outside of the enthusiast community don't buy multiple consoles and therefore this means fewer games they have available to them. And it shouldn't be that difficult to extrapolate why consolidation of giant studios/game companies is something that would negatively affect the people that can't or don't want to own multiple consoles.

Really? Ok.

Naughty Dog was a fairly niche developer in the late 80's and early 90's. They made a trilogy of Crash games exclusively for Sony and both found a lot of critical and commercial success for the first time while helping to build the PlayStation brand. Here is the list of games they released before making games exclusively for Sony:

• Keef the Thief
  • Rings of Power
  • Way of the Warrior

Guerrilla Games was even more niche before they made Killzone exclusively for Sony in 2004. Sony acquired them in 2005. Here's the list of games they released before making games exclusively for Sony:

Sucker Punch was arguably even more niche than Guerilla Games before they made the first Sly Cooper game exclusively for Sony in 2002. Here's the list of games they released before making games exclusively for Sony (acquired as a studio in 2011):

Insomniac's first game was exclusively developed for Sony (Disruptor), and they made games exclusively for Sony from 1996 to 2012.

id Software has not made an exclusive game for Microsoft. Before the acquisition, they made Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein and Rage (among some others) for multiple platforms.

Machine games has not made an exclusive game for Microsoft. Before the acquisition, they made the new Wolfenstein games for multiple platforms.

Tango Gameworks has not made an exclusive game for Microsoft. The Evil Within games were multiplatform.

Arkane Studios made Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic as console exclusives for Microsoft (before being a Bethesda Studio), and Prey and the Dishonored games were multiplatform.

It is pretty clear that your comparison is...I'll be kind and say not well thought out.
Excellent post. Not deserved by any means, but an excellent post. And one that will likely need quoting many times over.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think you can argue that this acquisition was bad for a huge portion of gamers. A bunch of multiplat titles will likely never come to PlayStation ever again.

MS saw a great opportunity for their business and took it.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

People who don't want extra consoles have always faced missing exclusives titles (some of the greatest games ever made, if not the greatest have been exclusives). People who can't I feel more for and hope that they can enjoy the games at a cheap rate later down the road.

Exclusives are common territory for media (not just gaming) and are becoming more powerful as time goes (streaming mentioned a little while ago). I'm not really against it bc I expect it.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even more? At this point I think the money is better spent strengthening their current 23 studios with more funds and resources.

Gamepass will have INSANE content in couple of years
This is actually a pretty pragmatic kind of trepidation to have. Expansion like this needs to be funded and managed, and they have lots of great studios right now. Getting results from them sooner than later might be a better approach than building an even bigger base with results that are years and years away.

I guess from their perspective, they have all the monies so they can wait a bit, but if they don't buy someone else will.

I kinda think MS is doing a pre-emptive attack against Google and Amazon more than they are engaging in a Sony battle rn. We'll see.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia

Really? Ok.

• Keef the Thief
  • Rings of Power
  • Way of the Warrior

Great post but I can already see how someone will mention how spider-man was an exclusive character in the Avengers game as a response.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not disagreeing with your broader point, but lets not re-write history here. Bethesda gained popularity in the console space by working closely with MSFT developing Morrowind for Xbox, and Oblivion as a timed Xbox 360 exclusive. They did not release a console game before that.
yup bgs, like cd project red, were able to transition to consoles thanks to ms.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they were to acquire two more, my guess would be Asobo and Sega. My runner-up would be Moon.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Welp, I sure hope, when most are bought by MS and you don't have a capable alternative, you enjoy paying whatever MS decides to ask for gamepass.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
this specific Spider-Man story is it's own franchise. Marvel, Insomniac, and Sony partnered up for it.

That specific Insomniac Spider-Man story has not been anywhere else because it started as a PS game.

If Insomniac had already released their Spider-Man game on Xbox, PC; and then Sony came and grabbed exclusive rights to Insomniac's Spider-Man after then yeah it would be different.

The fact is this Spider-Man story/game was never anywhere else, and it started as a partnership between Sony, Marvel, and Insomniac. So yeah it's not like Doom.
I didn't say it was like Doom, I said it was like Doom Xbox. It's a hypothetical game with a completely new story, making it its own franchise just like Spiderman PS4.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

Really? Ok.

• Keef the Thief
  • Rings of Power
  • Way of the Warrior

Rare had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.
Bungie had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.
Compulsion Games had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.
InXile had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.
Obsidian had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.
Mojang had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I don't just mean no big business. There's be no consoles, no reap consumer gpus, ideology games would be not much more than current indi titles.

World wide gdp per capital is around $11,000. How much resources would be devoted into luxury entertainment given some sort of socialist revolution?

Great question and one I'd love to have the chance to explore in my lifetime.

Rare had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.
Bungie had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.
Compulsion Games had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.
InXile had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.
Obsidian had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.
Mojang had not made an exclusive for Microsoft before they were acquired.

This doesn't help your argument lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Sega wouldn't be too bad of a choice. Their PC offerings are pretty strong. Total War and Football Manager would fit game pass nicely as those are the kind of games people can lose hundreds of hours in. I am all for it if it also puts Sega's back catalog on PC game pass.

Not that I put stock in any rumors about it at this time.

yeah, if the thought is to have content for gamepass, than something which has intriguing content for both consoles and PCs make sense.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Now seeing such a thirst for new studios it's a an even bigger shame Bizarre Creations, Studio Liverpool, Evolution etc. couldn't hold on. A new PGR, Wipeout and Motorstorm using the new tech would be really something special.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their parent company, or whatever it might be called, is publicly traded.

Yeah, still ... they could probably be had for less than some of the names being thrown around here and Witcher 4 and Cyberpunk sequel exclusive to XBox + Game Pass ... would really probably seal the deal as Game Pass or owning an XBox being a must for a large, large contigent of gamers.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Eh...Microsoft has no obligation to do it like Sony. Bethesda/Zenimax now benefits from being first party. From Playground:

"We could talk to other studios, but it had to be filtered. You had to go through certain channels. If we wanted to find out about new technology or initiatives that were coming through, there was a time and a place for that to happen, and it was usually just behind the curve," Fulton said in the interview.

"Now that we're a first party studio, I can pick up the phone and dial out to 343 Studios, The Coalition, Ninja Theory - we can start talking about technology, tools, all of those conversations are easy to have."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/6385...usses-benefits-microsoft-ownership/index.html

Shared technology/knowledge/development leading to better and improved exclusive first party games? Nonsense, there is no advantage to exclusives. They should disappear because multiplatform games are easy to make and incur no extra resources. I should be able to play all games on my console of choice.

According to whiny babies, that is.

Seriously though, I'm interested if this could lead to some awesome games we usually don't see from a multiplatform developer. It's all down to how Microsoft manages them though.

Nov 8, 2017
This notion you're saying? I never said it. All I said was the perception was different. I never argued that any sort of corporate consolidation is good, but it's interesting that context matters now when it hasn't previously.

I don't want people losing their jobs. I don't want people losing access to games because frankly it's antithetical to what Microsoft is supposedly about.

I think what's happened in this thread is gross because it completely strips any of the human impact of these moves. Which is considerable. I know I'll come off a self-righteous dickhead because that's kinda how I am but I will stand by this.

The people acting like this is some chess board and cheering these moves, whatever they are, are wrong. And you defending these moves, if what you argue in your last sentence is what you believe, doesn't make sense either.

I appreciate you at least took the time to have a measured reply unlike the rest of the Bring It On crew.

Not you personally, it's more an elaboration of my position regarding the post you quoted in your reply to me. My core thesis is really that most of the arguments going on are just masks put over what is basically tribalism. It's not arguments borne out of true convictions often, it's a rationalisation applied to their feelings that they may not themselves fully understand. Me team xbox, acquisition good. Me team playstation, acquisition bad. But generally team playstation is always upset when team xbox acquires, and team xbox is always upset when playstation acquires, and the spheres of people (not the same individuals exactly, although sometimes it is) can be seen deploying basically the same arguments the other team did last time. It's easy to be very very cynical because I feel like I've seen it so much now.

My stance is that it's generally bad, and all exclusive deals are generally bad, but I don't get personally upset each time even though I think it's bad, because the level of "upsetness" is based on whether it impacts me or not. I think that phenomenon is basically true of a lot of people but not everyone has the self awareness to distinguish that which personally irritates them from that which is actually morally better or worse in an absolute sense. I get annoyed when a game I'm interested in goes EGS exclusive, but I don't think that's a massive moral crime even though it irritates me personally.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Great question and one I'd love to have the chance to explore in my lifetime.

This doesn't help your argument lol.
My entire point is that this thing called cultivating relationships before making a purchase is a construct of this forum that has no place in the business world as pertains talent and intellectual property acquisition.

Only silly businesses tie themselves up with such caveats, or reason that getting a publisher is a no go. Microsoft have considered buying a publisher from when they got into the console industry.....back then it was Sega.

Jan 20, 2019
Yeah, still ... they could probably be had for less than some of the names being thrown around here and Witcher 4 and Cyberpunk sequel exclusive to XBox + Game Pass ... would really probably seal the deal as Game Pass or owning an XBox being a must for a large, large contigent of gamers.

They are worth 10B $, you probably had to pay 12 to 15B for a single studio, that is a crazy ideia.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
My entire point is that this thing called cultivating relationships before making a purchase is a construct of this forum that has no place in the business world as pertains talent and intellectual property acquisition.

Only silly businesses tie themselves up with such caveats, or reason that getting a publisher is a no go. Microsoft have considered buying a publisher from when they got into the console industry.....back then it was Sega.

Except it's literally been Sony's--the market leader's--way of doing business, no?

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yes I too prefer Sony's graceful, arguably coy way of going about these things. Play with your prey a little bit, don't just devour the whole thing right away. Tease me. Put me on layaway first. Microsoft has been too bullish and laser focused as of late and it's not fair. It's mean spirited. They could have at least trotted out some timed-exclusives from Bethesda first!

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So, here's A Take, dunno if it's been posted here or not.

venturebeat.com

Xbox’s Bethesda acquisition is evidence of blockbuster gaming’s volatility

Xbox's Bethesda acquisition is an illustration of publisher's running out of options for moving forward in a stable and successful way.

Apparently Bethesda really wasn't doing all that well due to all the Bombs the past few years, and the ownership was looking for an Out.

Yes I too prefer Sony's graceful, arguably coy way of going about these things. Play with your prey a little bit, don't just devour the whole thing right away. Tease me. Put me on layaway first. Microsoft has been too bullish and laser focused as of late and it's not fair. It's mean spirited. They could have at least trotted out some timed-exclusives from Bethesda first!

200.gif

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly. All I keep seeing here is that somehow, MS needs to have the same exact playbook like Sony when they acquire studios, as well as exclusive content. The business world just doesn't work like that, lol. I'm not sure what to tell people anymore, but brand loyalty sure does provide a lot of interesting takes.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020

Really? Ok.

• Keef the Thief
  • Rings of Power
  • Way of the Warrior

Unfortunately Microsoft (and Sony for that matter) is allowed to buy game companies that haven't made exclusive software for their platform. Making exclusive games isn't a precondition to acquisition.

Microsoft is also under no obligation to do things the way Sony did. Sony, however, saw no issue with timed exclusives, exclusive content, locking IPs to their platform, etc...

Again, this isn't the same type of deal that Sony would do. Anyone can stream the games or play them on PC. They're not locked to a piece of hardware.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, here's A Take, dunno if it's been posted here or not.

venturebeat.com

Xbox’s Bethesda acquisition is evidence of blockbuster gaming’s volatility

Xbox's Bethesda acquisition is an illustration of publisher's running out of options for moving forward in a stable and successful way.

Apparently Bethesda really wasn't doing all that well due to all the Bombs the past few years, and the ownership was looking for an Out.

Isn't Ubi Soft having some of the same issues?