• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
At the end of the day, all I see is not being able to play those games. I don't give one remote nano-fraction of a shit about the value of GamePass, so at the end of the day, they took games away from Playstation to "add value" to their service with games they were already getting.

I do not see a functional or appreciable difference. Both strategies are shit.

tumblr_pcuxhod0XH1w8mobyo3_540.gif

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
you can rightfully criticize these deals but the political comparisons are hysterical

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
The difference for me is that Sony buying timed exclusivity gives the benefits to Sony by taking it away from Xbox. The value gained is solely in taking it away from others.

With Xbox purchasing Zenimax the benefit isn't in sony not getting it, it's in gamepass becoming a literal steal of a deal. Yes sony only users may miss out but thats not where the main benefit is, it's in gamepass.

And with MS buying these studios they have to fully fund them, funding the entirety of a games development is a lot different than throwing some cash to make them hold off on releasing it elsewhere for awhile.

Exactly this. People saying that exclusivity is evil are also saying they would rather have the lesser of the two evils. Timed vs permanent. However, if I'm in the Xbox camp, with timed exclusivity, I might not even want to play it after that long a time its out. You're still taking it away from my plate. Not only are you taking games away from my plate, you're also taking game CONTENT away from my plate and asking me to pay full price for the meal while getting less.

It's subjective and hurts people in different ways, but it still hurts. These MS moves are surely going to hurt now as well. If a company is forced to react to push their agenda, then they're going to react if they can afford it and it benefits them.

Oct 28, 2017
The cheering bums me out even more, honestly
These are studios that now don't have to worry about breaking even to keep the lights on and can take risks. One flop can sink a studio for good. If anything this is a good thing, especially with rising development costs and economic uncertainty in the world.

Microsoft can only buy a company if they want to be bought. Bethesda obviously wants the financial stability that MS provides.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly this. People saying that exclusivity is evil are also saying they would rather have the lesser of the two evils. Timed vs permanent. However, if I'm in the Xbox camp, with timed exclusivity, I might not even want to play it after that long a time its out. You're still taking it away from my plate. Not only are you taking games away from my plate, you're also taking game CONTENT away from my plate and asking me to pay full price for the meal while getting less.

It's subjective and hurts people in different ways, but it still hurts. These MS moves are surely going to hurt now as well. If a company is forced to react to push their agenda, then they're going to react if they can afford it and it benefits them.

You cannot seriously sit here and argue that having to wait six months to a year for a game is worse than literally never having access to that game. At the end of the day with a timed deal at least you still get the game.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
So does anyone think that in 10 years MS will be a massive video game software company with much less focus on hardware? Once they get Sony and Nintendo to allow ganepass onto their hardware I think that is a much bigger cash cow than making expensive hardware. Basically Netflix but with a far bigger warchest

Microsoft will never leave the hardware side of gaming, because: 1) Nintendo and Sony aren't going to allow Microsoft to put Game Pass onto their platforms 2) Even if they did, they're not going to allow Microsoft to put Game Pass onto their platform and receive 100% of the profit. Because of the second point, selling consoles is always going to be Microsoft's best bet for maximizing consumer profit given the potential for accessories, downloadable content, etc.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
It depends what Xbox does with them. If it's like the Minecraft acquisition and Bethesda stays multi-platform with digital and retail release, obviously with Game Pass and marketing perks for Xbox, then it seems fine to me. Bring more of that on if there are other publishers who want a similar relationship. They get to operate the same with more resources MS can provide, but obviously with more favor towards Xbox for things like Game Pass day one, Xbox Live sign-ins required on all platforms, early access exclusive to Xbox / Win 10, and marketing. That's still a ton of value for Xbox, especially up against $70 digital and retail options for other platforms, and would still help position Game Pass as the leading subscription/streaming platform to drive up subscriptions, which seems to be what Xbox really wants out of all this. Additionally, allowing Bethesda to keep operating multi-platform saves jobs. It seems win-win all around.

I'm not crazy about the idea of Xbox taking all of the long-running multi-platform franchises exclusive anytime soon. Eventually, when the market has shifted primarily to streaming in 10-20 years, I could see it making sense to go Game Pass exclusive, when the device truly doesn't matter and everyone has Game Pass, U Play, EA Play, and/or PSNow subscriptions to play on any screen they own.
Can we really hope for an outcome like this?
It definitely makes sense to me why it would.

But having the game industry under MS's thumb where they get to pick and choose who gets what is something I'm not not looking forward too, no matter how sweet the deal is; GP is $15/m now until it isn't and now the only way to play the new Fallout.

I respect your opinion for sure, I'm just a little sour on this whole thing right.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yep and once again in the long run they aren't competing against PlayStation and nintendo

amazon and google are waking up to the market and Microsoft has a huge head start and seems to be taking advantage of that
It's similar to Nvidia and what they did in the AI/ML space while Intel was sleeping. Most people here are still thinking "the big three" means MS, Sony, Nintendo. But Sony and Nintendo aren't the other two. MS kickstarted this before Google and Apple fully realize what is happening, not to mention MS was already in this space for at least a decade. It'll take Google and Apple a while to catch up.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has been fascinating seeing all this unfold. Just a little while ago, the general public thought the Xbox division might be sold off. Nadella's comments pretty much cement them as permanent players in the industry, and after a $7.5 billion acquisition he's saying he wants more. They really lit a bomb off yesterday

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I think we have enough of a track record from Microsoft by now to know exactly what they'll do: follow any and all pre-existing legal contracts and obligations and the second those obligations are met, poof - no more Playstation support.

Anyone expecting any major new AAA games from any Microsoft studios to come to PS5 is in for a rude awakening.

There is a track record of Xbox buying long-running multi-platform franchises and making them exclusive?

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
These money plays by big corporations are never a good thing, this will have an ugly ending. Sony can't compete with money like that, and neither can Nintendo and that is a huge problem for competition and consumers. A bit worried to be honest, seeing them buy their way to success.

Jan 20, 2019
Holiday 2021/Early to Summer 2022 are probably likely.

This is Bethesda's release history:

Oblivion - 2006
Fallout 3 - 2008
Skyrim - 2011
Fallout 4 - 2015
Fallout 76 - 2018
Starfield - ???
The Elder Scrolls VI - ???

We know Starfield was announced in 2018, and in 2016 they stated that Elder Scrolls VI was in development but a long ways off - with Starfield releasing prior to it. They average anywhere from 3-4 years in between releases, so I'd say 2021 definitely isn't out of the equation. It's been in development since after 2015, and likely received the brunt of their studio's focus after Fallout 76's release.

Yah after the mess that was Fallout 76 i have no confidence in Bethesda, i will wait and see.

But since we have not be showed anything when it comes to that game and even they said they will talk when the game is really, 2021 is a pipe dream, let alone Elder Scrolls, that game is not coming out before 2024.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
These are studios that now don't have to worry about breaking even to keep the lights on and can take risks. One flop can sink a studio for good. If anything this is a good thing, especially with rising development costs and economic uncertainty in the world.

Microsoft can only buy a company if they want to be bought. Bethesda obviously wants the financial stability that MS provides.
Exactly.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Did you have a meltdown when sony bought insomniac ganes and secured exclusivity for titles that were multi plats like street fighter?

It's not remotely the same thing.

Regardless, it's a powermove. Gotta respect it. It's really worrying aswell, but what can you do besides just enjoying it whilst it is in the consumers favour.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
its weird arguing its unfair since sony throw the first punch here. the old phrase dont bring a knive to a gun fight applies, also dont pick a fight with someone who has a gun, when all you have is a knive.

Seems like a weird response when some people are worried about monopolies and consolidation and it's long term effects on the industry.

Sony monopolized Spider-man.
Xbox monopolized Fallout/Elder Scrolls/Doom/Wolfenstein/Dishonored/Starfield...etc.

I think PlayStation players will still be able to play the above on their console, once they push Sony to allow Game Pass on PlayStation, we know that's gonna come when Starfield drops.

I think the Spider-Man PS4 game, where Marvel went to Sony because they trusted their ability to make single player games, who then got Insomniac involved. It's not like Spider-Man PS4 always a multi platform IP that was now suddenly only on PS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There is a track record of Xbox buying long-running multi-platform franchises and making them exclusive?

They've already said openly that all Double Fine, Obsidian, etc games moving forward will not be on PS4 or PS5. Once any pre-existing contracts were fulfilled, whoosh. Never again.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So basically Mivcrosft is going to try and bully the industry one buyout at a time to change to their streaming service vision...

Where are the anti-Epic power rangers at?

They are having fun while MS still releases their games on Steam and fooling themselves that this won't stop at some point.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
You cannot seriously sit here and argue that having to wait six months to a year for a game is worse than literally never having access to that game. At the end of the day with a timed deal at least you still get the game.

Yes, it's just as bad because it's LOCKED TO ONE SYSTEM when Sony does it. It started with whole games, then game modes, then game content. Then there was the thread of even MORE exclusivity with big named multiplats. How far was Sony willing to go? It seemed nothing was going to stop the timed exclusivity onslaught they were cultivating. At least in MS' case you can still play it on PC. I can't tell you in how many MS exclusive threads where people made the comment, "I'll just get it on PC." Well, that's still the case!

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I like how people tell MS and Sony to leave companies alone as if they weren't selling in the first place.

hollows100

Jul 22, 2020
User banned (3 days): platform wars
God this thread is a comedy goldmine. lol

Well, I guess that's what happens when you constantly poke a bear, it's eventually going to respond.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a weird response when some people are worried about monopolies and consolidation and it's long term effects on the industry.

I think the Spider-Man PS4 game, where Marvel went to Sony because they trusted their ability to make single player games, who then got Insomniac involved. It's not like Spider-Man PS4 always a multi platform IP that was now suddenly only on PS.
if it wasnt ms, it would be amazon or google. gamming is a proxy fight for cobntrol of the livingroom, and both amazon/google want in. they will get their act togeather soonor or later. like irt or not sony isnt on the same megacorp leval as the 3 of them.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Yah after the mess that was Fallout 76 i have no confidence in Bethesda, i will wait and see.

But since we have not be showed anything when it comes to that game and even they said they will talk when the game is really, 2021 is a pipe dream, let alone Elder Scrolls, that game is not coming out before 2024.
You really think MS just dropped 7.5 billion to wait 3/4 years for its first big game to come out ? Na not having that.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
The difference for me is that Sony buying timed exclusivity gives the benefits to Sony by taking it away from Xbox. The value gained is solely in taking it away from others.

With Xbox purchasing Zenimax the benefit isn't in sony not getting it, it's in gamepass becoming a literal steal of a deal. Yes sony only users may miss out but thats not where the main benefit is, it's in gamepass.

And with MS buying these studios they have to fully fund them, funding the entirety of a games development is a lot different than throwing some cash to make them hold off on releasing it elsewhere for awhile.
Simone Biles in awe at these incredible mental gymnastics

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone seems to forget that Sony in the past bought Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, Insomniac and now they have some amazing first party games... Why not Xbox?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's just as bad because it's LOCKED TO ONE SYSTEM when Sony does it. It started with whole games, then game modes, then game content. Then there was the thread of even MORE exclusivity with big named multiplats. How far was Sony willing to go? It seemed nothing was going to stop the timed exclusivity onslaught they were cultivating. At least in MS' case you can still play it on PC. I can't tell you in how many MS exclusive threads where people made the comment, "I'll just get it on PC." Well, that's still the case!

I don't have a gaming-quality PC and I will not be buying one any time soon. So as far as I'm concerned I have zero access to any of those games, ever.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
No, that 's exactly what it's like. Spider-man was always a multiplatform IP that is now suddenly only on PS.

Adding PS4 at the end doesn't make it its own IP. Unless I can now say that DOOM Xbox is it's own IP now that was never multiplatform.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
But it's always been a "buy out/consolidation" game; that's nothing new. Why? Because it's always been about creating value for your company. Acquiring studios is just the means to that end.

has it always been about grabbing third parties? I don't think it has. Did Sony or Nintendo ever throw around billions for third parties publishers, they haven't. And they also haven't relied on subscriptions.

You say it's nothing new, but if anything is new and different it's this move.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Fallout 76 was literally announced on May 30, 2018 and subsequently released that November. Fallout 4 was announced E3 2015, and subsequently released November 2015. The game could easily be unveiled at Microsoft X0 event, or E3 next year, and be ready for release within the next half year to year after that.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 76 was literally announced on May 30, 2018 and subsequently released that November. Fallout 4 was announced E3 2015, and subsequently released November 2015. The game could easily be unveiled at Microsoft X0 event, or E3 next year, and be ready for release within the next half year to year after that.
also reports have come out that zenimax was in trouble, they havent had a sales hit since fallout 4.

Jan 20, 2019

Well, and they annouanced Starfied in 2018 and 2 yeats later we dont know anythign, Elder Scrolls the same thing. CD project red annouanced Cyberpunk in 2013.

You really think MS just dropped 7.5 billion to wait 3/4 years for its first big game to come out ? Na not having that.

You better believe it.

And they didnt spent 7.5B for does games, but for everything, so saying that is the only think Zenimax was important is not true.