• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
basically, buy your way into a good portfolio, ripe the fruits around 10 years after the start of the last gen despite bumbling around for many years.

no question that MS will come in heavy around 2023...will gamers appreciate it at this point? competition is great, buying away competition is the path of least resistance.
so about the same time sony's stuff will hit, so starfeid v god of war.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They have been partnering with Nintendo and releasing games there...I hope they can expand that

PlayStation's antique business methods and needs are not a fit

I'm sorry. Did you just call Playstation's business models more antiquated than Nintendo's?

Like come on. I've happily owned every Nintendo console since the original Game Boy but I would never in a million years call them more progressive on a business level than literally anyone in the industry.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, Microsoft who has finished a distant second, a close third, and a distant third in back to back to back generations is to blame for the current state and subsequent downfall of the gaming industry.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So basically Mivcrosft is going to try and bully the industry one buyout at a time to change to their streaming service vision...

Where are the anti-Epic power rangers at?
I mean if roumers are corect, and I belive they are, it was sony trying to pay devs, not for excusives, but to literly keep games off of xbox. I think ms is allowed to fight back.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah you do if your goal is to just amass as much content as you can for a subscription. Doesn't seem like it'll be great for the industry in the long run if we're turning it into a buy out/consolidation game. Quoting post below:
But it's always been a "buy out/consolidation" game; that's nothing new. Why? Because it's always been about creating value for your company. Acquiring studios is just the means to that end.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
so about the same time sony's stuff will hit, so starfeid v god of war.

I am convinced that MS-in a few years time- will have some really good fruits to ripe from the whole studio shopping spree. and yes, it will be some sort of showdown at some point this gen, thats what that whole thing is about.

the question remains if the customer benefits from all of this or not

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You know what? I also think they would. Their value proposition would be INSANE. They would of course need to nail down their online systems, e-shop, etc. I honestly hope Nintendo have something like this in the planning stages.

Ive been saying this for years. They are the Disney of gaming and have the kid market on lockdown. Nintendo sub would be HUGE.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if roumers are corect, and I belive they are, it was sony trying to pay devs, not for excusives, but to literly keep games off of xbox. I think ms is allowed to fight back.

Sony has been going for timed exclusivity (which sucks!), but it's okay that Microsoft is locking down PERMANENT exclusivity? Truly equivalent force.

119827367_1035751833526414_3935447054875133205_n.png

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has been going for timed exclusivity (which sucks!), but it's okay that Microsoft is locking down PERMANENT exclusivity? Truly equivalent force.

We don't know which games, if any, will be exclusive to only Xbox and PC.

Everyone thought MS would take Minecraft exclusive and here we are 5 years later and it's thriving across all platforms.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony monopolized Spider-man.
Xbox monopolized Fallout/Elder Scrolls/Doom/Wolfenstein/Dishonored/Starfield...etc.

I think PlayStation players will still be able to play the above on their console, once they push Sony to allow Game Pass on PlayStation, we know that's gonna come when Starfield drops.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its weird arguing its unfair since sony throw the first punch here. the old phrase dont bring a knive to a gun fight applies, also dont pick a fight with someone who has a gun, when all you have is a knive.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
If Microsoft is so concerned about Amazon and Google they should be partnering with Sony and Nintendo to form a consortium to fight them, not trying to fuck both of them to death so they can fight Amazon and Google alone.

MS attempting to partner with Sony and Nintendo is literally how they got into the console business, maybe they should've taken them up on the offer.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So does anyone think that in 10 years MS will be a massive video game software company with much less focus on hardware? Once they get Sony and Nintendo to allow ganepass onto their hardware I think that is a much bigger cash cow than making expensive hardware. Basically Netflix but with a far bigger warchest

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft is so concerned about Amazon and Google they should be partnering with Sony and Nintendo to form a consortium to fight them, not trying to fuck both of them to death so they can fight Amazon and Google alone.

Comments like this boggle my mind. Nintendo usually keeps to themselves and Sony has been on a moneyhat spree this entire generation, cultivating "The Playstation Advantage".

It's literally been every company for themselves this generation, but somehow it's on MS to be the one to keep playing nice and use their money to keep everyone afloat?

I sort of felt that MS, like with Nintendo, wanting to close more of a gap with Sony. Especially with cross-play, etc. Do you know what the answers where to that? "Haha, MS. You're not the market leader anymore, why do you want to do this now? Haha, MS. Good business decision for you, but not Sony. It's all about business. Haha, MS.. you did it last gen and Sony is free to do the same thing this gen."

Everyone always wants MS to do the right things for everyone else, but gets shocked when they make a business decision that benefits them and seem to forget Nintendo and Sony have been making business decisions all generation to benefit themselves.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox monopolized Fallout/Elder Scrolls/Doom/Wolfenstein/Dishonored/Starfield...etc.

I think PlayStation players will still be able to play the above on their console, once they push Sony to allow Game Pass on PlayStation, we know that's gonna come when Starfield drops.

Why would Sony EVER put Game Pass on their console? It would literally be a way for Microsoft to steal third party sales from them and give them nothing for it. What value is there to Sony in a deal like that?

We don't know which games, if any, will be exclusive to only Xbox and PC.

Everyone thought MS would take Minecraft exclusive and here we are 5 years later and it's thriving across all platforms.

I think we have enough of a track record from Microsoft by now to know exactly what they'll do: follow any and all pre-existing legal contracts and obligations and the second those obligations are met, poof - no more Playstation support.

Anyone expecting any major new AAA games from any Microsoft studios to come to PS5 is in for a rude awakening.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
So does anyone think that in 10 years MS will be a massive video game software company with much less focus on hardware? Once they get Sony and Nintendo to allow ganepass onto their hardware I think that is a much bigger cash cow than making expensive hardware

The day Sony allows MS gamepass on their console will be the day gaming as we know it died. and no that is no console warring, that is the sad truth.

when this will be the outcome, why not make a Microsonysoft Playbox?

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory and Insensitive Comparison
This shit is like the Justice Ginsberg dying of video games. Please stop MS

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
But didn't you hear? Sony bought Insomniac, and even worse, money-hatted an exclusive character in Avengers, so that makes Microsoft buying an entire publisher okay.

Honestly, I think Sony's qualms were losing third party revenue. But a feasible Microsoft owned studios only gamepass?? I actually see that being feasible and substantial enough for both parties that Sony would actually be fucking stupid to turn that down.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017

The difference for me is that Sony buying timed exclusivity gives the benefits to Sony by taking it away from Xbox. The value gained is solely in taking it away from others.

With Xbox purchasing Zenimax the benefit isn't in sony not getting it, it's in gamepass becoming a literal steal of a deal. Yes sony only users may miss out but thats not where the main benefit is, it's in gamepass.

And with MS buying these studios they have to fully fund them, funding the entirety of a games development is a lot different than throwing some cash to make them hold off on releasing it elsewhere for awhile.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The day Sony allows MS gamepass on their console will be the day gaming as we know it died. and no that is no console warring, that is the sad truth.

when this will be the outcome, why not make a Microsonysoft Playbox?

I dont really see how that would kill gaming as we know it. It would be very different but I don't see Sony or Nintendo leaving the hardware business soon. Ultimately though I do think this kind of massive consolidation is not good for the business

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017

It's amazing how one franchise or IP is somehow equal to multiple studios worth of historically multiplat titles. When Sony money-hatted SFV (which I'm not condoning), they didn't cut off your access from Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, etc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The difference for me is that Sony buying timed exclusivity gives the benefits to Sony by taking it away from Xbox. The value gained is solely in taking it away from others.

With Xbox purchasing Zenimax the benefit isn't in sony not getting it, it's in gamepass becoming a literal steal of a deal. Yes sony only may miss out but thats not where the main benefit is, it's in gamepass.

And with MS buying these studios they have to fully fund them, funding the entirety of a games development is a lot different than throwing some cash to make them hold off on releasing it elsewhere for awhile.

At the end of the day, all I see is not being able to play those games. I don't give one remote nano-fraction of a shit about the value of GamePass, so at the end of the day, they took games away from Playstation to "add value" to their service with games they were already getting.

I do not see a functional or appreciable difference. Both strategies are shit.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Good luck with that.

Holiday 2021/Early to Summer 2022 are probably likely.

This is Bethesda's release history:

Oblivion - 2006
Fallout 3 - 2008
Skyrim - 2011
Fallout 4 - 2015
Fallout 76 - 2018
Starfield - ???
The Elder Scrolls VI - ???

We know Starfield was announced in 2018, and in 2016 they stated that Elder Scrolls VI was in development but a long ways off - with Starfield releasing prior to it. They average anywhere from 3-4 years in between releases, so I'd say 2021 definitely isn't out of the equation. It's been in development since after 2015, and likely received the brunt of their studio's focus after Fallout 76's release.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how one franchise or IP is somehow equal to multiple studios worth of historically multiplat titles. When Sony money-hatted SFV (which I'm not condoning), they didn't cut off your access from Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, etc.
until mhw saved capcom there were roumers of it eing sold, some even think sony might buy it, but I doubt sony is ready to spend 10B on it.