• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't get why they don't make a bunch of deals like they did with EA Play.

This is the Win/Win situation that no one would complain, you can play the game for way less, it doesn't block the content from other platforms.
Just flowers and rainbows.
Maybe Zennimax approached them saying they were looking to sell?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
What blackmail does Spencer have on Nadella? :P
I know you're joking, but Game Pass falls right into Nadella's belief that Microsoft needs to be on as many platforms as possible. As much as I was bummed out about the slow death of Windows Phone, I think that's one of several things that pushed Nadella and Microsoft in the services direction. Xbox is very important in that respect, as is Azure, which Xbox's success as a service feeds into directly.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
*consider

Sure, they would be fools not to.

Don't panic, folks. Be sensible.

Didn't ppl say the same things when MS said: Microsoft prepares investors to "continue to invest in new gaming studios and content to expand our IP roadmap and leverage new content creators."

I don't think ppl should make the same mistake. More acquisitions are coming... Fool me once lol, Ain't gonna fool me twice

Oct 29, 2017
This is such a shitty post, "Oh you can't afford a second console? Well you should then say fuck you to your console of choice if you are going to whine and cry about gaming moves that are going to be shitty for the gaming industry". Please think before you type because this kind of post does not help anything here.
That's business, plain and simple. Multinational corporations don't care about you getting your feelings hurt or your opinions about what happens in the industry. It's always about competition and making your company more valuable. That's Microsoft's M.O. That's Sony's M.O. That's everyone's M.O.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
This is such a shitty post, "Oh you can't afford a second console? Well you should then say fuck you to your console of choice if you are going to whine and cry about gaming moves that are going to be shitty for the gaming industry". Please think before you type because this kind of post does not help anything here.

LOL... Your entire post history is a giant shit-fest.

Gamers will always to where the games are that's how they decide on their 'console of choice'.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Right? Would be real nice to have enough disposable income for 2 consoles + a gaming PC + whatever else these folks expect everyone to have. It's not feasible for a lot of people these days.

And this "oh just play them on your Android phone" shit. Like ????????????????? These people are joking, right?

Game Pass streaming is coming to Windows 10. It's been in internal testing for a while. It's also coming to Facebook and TVs at some point.

In other words, by the time those Bethesda games go Xbox / Game Pass exclusive you may be able to play it on pretty much any screen you have for a pretty low price, assuming you have good internet.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft has been taken to court several times for monopolistic practices. People have every right to be afraid of this purchasing trend
How is Microsoft monopolizing this industry?

Do Apple, FaceBook, Amazon and Google and Tencent not exist?

Did Sony and Nintendo cease to exist?

People need to understand and learn what monopolization entails. It is CERTAINLY NOT what Microsoft is doing.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
This thread, both honestly and ironically

IMG-20200923-000116.jpg

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the backlash now. PC gamers have been crying about console exclusives forever and people just say, "Get a console if you want to play Sony 1st parties, that's business, baby!!!!" like PC gamers can just throw out another quick $400. Exclusivity sucks all around, Sony fanboys just aren't used to it. Welcome to the party.

Yeah I think it's more this than anything. PC, Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft gamers are used to having content not on their platform with the flat retort being "well just pay $300-$400 for a Playstation, what's the big deal?".

When you're not used to it, it's probably more upsetting.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, the value argument about Gamepass in these situations is bullshit and everyone arguing it knows it. Buying up every company you possibly can because you were losing in the gaming industry is not healthy for the gaming industry. This will not result in better games, at this point in time, Gamepass is not profitable and most likely will not be profitable enough to fit all of these companies under one umbrella when the majority of the subscribers are going to play them through Gamepass and not actually buy them. This is nightmare scenario for gaming as a whole and if you celebrate it, you are celebrating Gaming going in the wrong direction.
What the heck is with this Gamepass isn't profitable narrative. They don't lose money on Gamepass.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap some of this hyperbole is WILD. I hate unnecessary exclusives too. But, the idea of "Micro$oft Monopoly" is ridiculous. It still doesn't approach the size of any of the major publishers. They don't pull as much cachet as Sony or Nintendo. At the end of the day, Microsoft is a huge stakeholder with lots of power because they're a (dual) PLATFORM HOLDER, not because they have studios. Who the hell cares that they have studios??

And they're not even "buying the industry". What they HAVE DONE is invest in the industry and grown it all up across new segments, far beyond just the console (and taken a ton of shit for it here on this forum). They spent a TON of money to build up their acquisitions. People want them to open up a new studio because then a developer doesn't get subsumed. But then they ignore that every one of those studios have hugely staffed up, got tons of new support for their projects, and got to actually execute on the ideas that they've had for a while but haven't had the ability to pursue.

I'm not sure why people want there to be some grueling mid-period where everyone is worse off and just spending money into a black hole. Because that gives more credibility to the process? Because it's more fair? Shouldn't we want what's best for the devs and for the players? I think Insomniac's purchase does that clearly. I think these acquisitions do the same. I still, however, think that the games should go to as many places as possible in a way that as many people as possible can play them. I would argue that Microsoft is actually making that happen.

I find it easy to be wary of their ambitions, but also easy to cheer on how they've gone about them so far.

They just threatened to keep doing it. If buying the largest game publisher in the world isn't enough to convince you of their intentions what will?

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Exactly, this is making me really lose faith in the overall maturity and respect for a lot of the posters here. Goddamn shame that a new console generation, which was meant to bring excitement into the industry, had served nothing but to increase the level of toxicity and hatred towards each other.

Remember when Microsoft was tweeting out how all the gamers should benefit, regardless of the platforms. If only they actually meant it...
Unfortunately, Sony upped the ante. Sony and Nintendo have no intention of playing nice. Why should Microsoft fight with one hand behind its back?

Fact is, Microsoft is far more inclusive than either Sony or Nintendo. You can play these games on an Xbox, a capable PC or stream to any Android device. These are options you don't get with Sony or Nintendo. You're forced to buy their hardware.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Third party exclusivity is nothing new to the gaming industry. You could even say that during the last decade a lot of third party games were exclusive to ps4/xbox where as PC and Nintendo only users were left out. Even now it is always uncertain if a AAA game does get released the same time as the console version and for switch third party support is still really small for various reasons.

Buying entire publishers is just the next logical step for a corporation like microsoft, because they need exclusive content with their strategy. But what this does mean for the gaming industry in the future is hard to say for now.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand the backlash now. PC gamers have been crying about console exclusives forever and people just say, "Get a console if you want to play Sony 1st parties, that's business, baby!!!!" like PC gamers can just throw out another quick $400. Exclusivity sucks all around, Sony fanboys just aren't used to it. Welcome to the party.
That's a decent point.
The one benefit of Xbox doing this over the other big boys is at least PC gamers don't miss out too.

It sucks if you only own Nintendo or PlayStation but at the end of the day. You will never play every game you want to play.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
LOL... Your entire post history is a giant shit-fest.

Gamers will always to where the games are that's how they decide on their 'console of choice'.
Go through my post history and realize how I am not just fighting for one side because it is my console of choice before you speak up again. I have already stated how I have tried Xbox in the past and didn't find value in it but remain invested in Gamepass ultimate on my PC. Just because I have criticisms over bullshit business decisions doesn't make me wrong.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
How is Microsoft monopolizing this industry?

Do Apple, FaceBook, Amazon and Google and Tencent not exist?

Did Sony and Nintendo cease to exist?

People need to understand and learn what monopolization entails. It is CERTAINLY NOT what Microsoft is doing.

For real, a monopoly, "The exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.", this does not do.

Last I checked, Sony/Nintendo/Tencent/Google/Amazon/Apple, many other companies, are still around.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is doing this to make their own service more attractive and compete with Google, Amazon, FaceBook, Apple and Tencent with an eye towards the future though.

Their competition isn't Sony.

Then they should be putting their games on the PS5 as well, no? If Sony isn't their competition they should be supporting them in their fight against the other disruptors. It would benefit both.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a weird take, there's Xbox, PC and Nintendo exclusive games as well.

Everyone is used to it.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. At least with Microsoft, you'll be able to play these on a PC and soon you won't even need a "$1200 GAMING PC" thanks to stuff like xCloud.

Oct 27, 2017

But PCs cost like $12000 so $400 for a console is no more than the price of a decent gaming mouse /s

Exclusivity, in the cases where it's not a game made or funded directly by the platform holder (Sony, MS, Nintendo), sucks for those who don't own the competing platforms. And it's true, if you want to play errything you essentially have to get a bunch of different platforms, that's just how it is. The difference here boils down to how the difference in economic muscles between Nintendo, Sony and MS could affect the industry if MS decides to go for the jugular and aim to increasingly consolidate devs, IPs and influence in their hands to reduce competition, funded by their 'fuck you money'.

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
Console parity is great for competition, but it's also great for posts like these.
Tell me I am wrong, the last two days has been filled with celebrating MS buying out full blown publishers resulting in likely full lifetime exclusivity of games that were multiplatform for years, yet shitting on Sony for timed exclusives that would end up on the other platforms.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Antagonizing Another Member, History of Similar Behavior
Go through my post history and realize how I am not just fighting for one side because it is my console of choice before you speak up again. I have already stated how I have tried Xbox in the past and didn't find value in it but remain invested in Gamepass ultimate on my PC. Just because I have criticisms over bullshit business decisions doesn't make me wrong.

I hope the rumors MS is announcing more acquisitions soon is real. This perpetual meltdown of yours is humorous.

Oct 27, 2017
Then they should be putting their games on the PS5 as well, no? If Sony isn't their competition they should be supporting them in their fight against the other disruptors. It would benefit both.
I think they'd be more than willing via gamepass if Sony was up for it.

I know you, and others, personally aren't interested in the subscription route (which is fine and perfectly understandable) but Microsoft has been very naked in its approach and wanting to get it on as many platforms as possible.

If they're correct and the subscription model is the future, I don't blame them for being spooked when some major players like Amazon, Tencent and others are interested in this space as well.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
They just threatened to keep doing it. If buying the largest game publisher in the world isn't enough to convince you of their intentions what will?
Hmm.. ok. Well, I'm not sure I follow. What intentions are you referring to? And how did you come to that conclusion? After purchasing Zenimax, MS is still dwarfed by EA, Ubi, Activision, Take 2...

Last edited:

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
That's business, plain and simple. Multinational corporations don't care about you getting your feelings hurt or your opinions about what happens in the industry. It's always about competition and making your company more valuable. That's Microsoft's M.O. That's Sony's M.O. That's everyone's M.O.
Most people here don't seem to understand how business work. Outside maybe a few small indi devs these companies aren't making games for just the hell of it, they want to make money.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Maybe Zennimax approached them saying they were looking to sell?
I'm not saying it wasn't the case, but Nadella is saying they are aiming more acquisitions, and while this makes sense for their plans, I think GP deals would achieve the same and without harming other platforms.

Of course that they can't stop growing 1P portfolio and maybe I'm naive for thinking what I said above, but well, it is what it is.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

You just sound like an angry gamer. Sony / MS / Nintendo / etc don't care about your feelings at the end of the day.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What about console owners of other platforms? You think it's easy for a switch or xb1 owner to just drop 400-500 on a PS5? Give them Spider-man, man. Access for everybody.

I know. That's my point. Exclusive deals, whether for Playstation or Xbox are always bad for the average consumer. You either have to spend more money, which many people don't have, or you have to make more and more compromises and decide between games that you love

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
All those cheering for subscriptions, soon other big companies will follow suit, they will acquire other IPs and start their competing subscription service, they will pull their content from other services and you will end up subscribing to all of them in order to play your favorite games, exactly what is happening now with Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV+, Peacock, HBO, etc one streaming service opened the gate for a ton to follow and they pulled the content from one another so good luck to paying for all of that and prepare for price hikes every time and then, you are lucked and you have to pay when the games are not offered somewhere else.

It doesn't need a genius to see how these trends catch up quickly and if companies do it, it's for their own benefit more than for consumers, things like:
- Removing the disk booklet
- Releasing unfinished games, release now, fix later mentality
- DLCs
- Microtransactions
- GaaS
- Increasing prices
- Season Pass

- And now game subscrptions

All of the above were critecized because they created a precedent then it became the norm. Unfortunately the majority of posts I see in the forum are of fanboys who just want to cheer for their platform of choice or those who can't see further than the end of their nose instead of looking at the bigger picture.