• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I'd need to see the quality of it. It took years for Wine on Linux to get as good as it is now. I'd be surprised if MS can totally switch hardware architecture for something as complex as a game and it have no noticable difference.

it's not nearly as hard these days as MS has abstracted nearly everything in Windows now.

a lot of laptop manufacturers are looking at a ARM future. For Servers to. It only makes since now that mobile is so popular and arm is catching up in performance.

the switch nvidia chip is arm if I remember correctly. Architecture is not a hurdle these days.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
it's not nearly as hard these days as MS has abstracted nearly everything in Windows now.

a lot of laptop manufacturers are looking at a ARM future. For Servers to. It only makes since now that mobile is so popular and arm is catching up in performance.

the switch nvidia chip is arm if I remember correctly. Architecture is not a hurdle these days.

You say that but they didn't demo any games.

I am highly skeptical of any major titles running well until proven otherwise.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My wife has been wanting a surface mostly for digital art, after seeing the new revisions this year I still have no clue how to interpret the specs to pick the right one.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Ah yeah, that ridiculous thing. It didn't have a 1060 as a tablet though, only as a laptop.
What's ridiculous about the Surface Book? I've been using mine daily for two years now.

Particularly with the SD card port, it is perfect for photo editing on vacation or when I don't want to sit in my office.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
My biggest wish is that the next Xbox is designed by the Surface hardware team - those devices are absolutely gorgeous and have fantastic build quality.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
What's ridiculous about the Surface Book? I've been using mine daily for two years now.

Particularly with the SD card port, it is perfect for photo editing on vacation or when I don't want to sit in my office.
Ridiculous might have been the wrong choice of words, as I really liked it when it was announced. It's just a very different product from the rest of the lineup, that hinge always looked clunky to me in comparison to the hinges on the other surface products.
My biggest wish is that the next Xbox is designed by the Surface hardware team - those devices are absolutely gorgeous and have fantastic build quality.
Well they designed the xbox one x, and I can't imagine they wouldn't be working on scarlett.

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive
giphy.gif

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still on Surface Pro 3 and I love it for reading comics and doing general stuff. This is an auto buy for me. Should be able to finally play battle tech.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Not with that fan lol.

My iPhone can render stuff better than the Switch, but it burns my hands after an hour.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This Surfaces they are showing looks great btw. Design wise.
Microsoft makes the best looking hardware in the game imo, i don't even own any surface products but damn they're gorgeous. I'm almost most excited for the next gen Xbox reveal just to see what hardware and design Panoy and his team have come up with.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019

I believe this has been the case since Xbox One S.

The Xbox divison falls under "Microsoft Devices" which is headed by Panos Panay.

Last edited:

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
Will buy it if i can play Street fighter V on high settings at 60 fps and most of my Steam games (mostly jrpg).

I am streaming most of my games on the Switch right now.. And it is amazing, but there are some input lags.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsofts hardware teams are simply amazing now between this and xbox one x (best built console ever - easily)

Would like to know the limits of the x86 emu

Would uwp games like sea of thieves work with a simple recompile to arm?

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has built a custom 7nm SQ1 processor with Qualcomm, and it's focused on improving both the CPU and GPU power over a regular Snapdragon 8cx. "Microsoft SQ1 brings the best CPU performance for Windows on Snapdragon devices," reveals Davuluri. "It's an octa-core processor, and it has the first and fastest ever Kryo CPU at 3GHz.
The GPU performance itself is 2.1 teraflops, which is surprisingly good for this type of thin-and-light device.
"We've redesigned the entire platform to perform at 7 watts, with scalable bust performance up to 15 watts."

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
User Banned (3 Weeks): Low-Effort Trolling; Numerous Prior Bans for Trolling, Drive-Bys, and Inflammatory Behavior
i still like my PS4 wich has games like The Last of Us PART II™ Spider-Man and GOD OF WAR

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm confused what the ARM vs x86 chip means.

If I downloaded Steam on this and tried to boot up a Windows-compatible game, would it not work?

What about RetroArch or Dolphin or PCSX2?

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Microsoft makes the best looking hardware in the game imo, i don't even own any surface products but damn they're gorgeous. I'm almost most excited for the next gen Xbox reveal just to see what hardware and design Panoy and his team have come up with.

I don't think this quite reaches the iPad Pro in form factor, which is beautiful.

I think my HP Elite is better than the standard Surface Pro.

The X does look good though.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'd need to see the quality of it. It took years for Wine on Linux to get as good as it is now. I'd be surprised if MS can totally switch hardware architecture for something as complex as a game and it have no noticable difference.
They did it with PPC to x86 for the Xbox One.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like the Pro X uses the floppy keyboard still? That makes me sad. I want one but I'm so sick of the soft keyboard on my current Surface. Makes it hard to use as an actual laptop.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool.
Too rich for my blood though.

Never jumped on the tablet train but they always look nice.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I'm confused what the ARM vs x86 chip means.

If I downloaded Steam on this and tried to boot up a Windows-compatible game, would it not work?

What about RetroArch or Dolphin or PCSX2?

I don't think Steam has an ARM version. It is an entirely different CPU infrastructure.

Unless there is x86 emulation on the device itself, which I haven't looked into yet.