• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh... why Android.... can it dual boot Window? Or at least run ChromeOS?

I want floating Windows that can run video in each window... not just one 1 or 2.

This is what I was banking on from a Microsoft Surface phone.
Android is really a requirement if you want to get on the ground floor. As seen with Windows Phone, enough devs just won't make a non iOS, non Android version of their app.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Well, I loved Windows Phone 8.1 back in the day. And I'm on Android right now.

Hope they'll be able to combine the best of both worlds. The Windows Phone keyboard, stability, design with the apps of Android.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I really didn't but back in the day I loved my Lumia (I still have it and use it as a remote control in my Game/TV room) - the first app to go that I really needed was Uber. Seems like such a long time ago but that felt like the first "uh oh" - Live Tiles, OLED screen and USB C years ago were mind-blowing to me at the time. I also recently replaced the dead battery in my now-ancient Zune HD and it's crazy to me that it had an OLED screen all the way back then. I still have to either figure out an easy way to factory reset and flash it so it actually works... or go through the crazy virtual server method online.
Honestly the Zune is such a good device.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh... why Android.... can it dual boot Window? Or at least run ChromeOS?

I want floating Windows that can run video in each window... not just one 1 or 2.

This is what I was banking on from a Microsoft Surface phone.

The last time MS tried to go head to head with their own phone OS against Android and Apple they got laughed out of the market. This is MS facing reality and being smart: If you can't beat'em, join'em.

Honestly the Zune is such a good device.

It really really was. Had it just come out 2 or even 1 year earlier I think MS could've captured a good chunk of the market. I'll miss my Zune (my 80Gb died 4 years ago)

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really what I had in mind. I mean technically it's a foldable but it's two screens onna hinge, not one screen.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
It is odd that it's running Android.

Oh well, still interested

Why, MS's Android support has been really, really good.

A device that isn't running Android (that's not a Apple device) is dead on arrival.

Microsoft failed with a mobile Windows OS twice now (Windows Mobile and Windows Phone), they aren't going to go down that road again.

Google won that battle.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Why, MS's Android support has been really, really good.

A device that isn't running Android (that's not a Apple device) is dead on arrival.

Microsoft failed with a mobile Windows OS twice now (Windows Mobile and Windows Phone), they aren't going to go down that road again.

Google won that battle.

You've convinced me.

Give it to me now Microsoft

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
That's not really what I had in mind. I mean technically it's a foldable but it's two screens onna hinge, not one screen.

Unless they find a way to fold a screen as clean and flat as that, this remains an interesting compromise of being able to use a small screen for certain things and a big screen for other situations. The compelling aspect of a foldable device is being able to do more with more screen real estate. It makes it situationally versatile. I've always thought the courier device they had in concept was such an interesting piece of design that wasn't in the market, and it was a good idea it didn't come out then, but today, I think we're ready for dual screens. Applications are far more diverse and software is far more mobile-friendly. Like Courier though, there was no way I could justify thinking I'd actually get it, I just don't think I'd really justify buying something like it because I don't even come close to having enough use cases I'd do every day that would justify getting it. Still, I kinda still want it despite myself. I love the idea of being able to do more with more screen, I just don't know if it would be annoying after a while.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The last time MS tried to go head to head with their own phone OS against Android and Apple they got laughed out of the market. This is MS facing reality and being smart: If you can't beat'em, join'em.

Yep, and you don't have a choice with mobile operating systems.

There's two mainstream ones available, and one will never be licensed out, so you really only have one.

Consumers have spoken, they won't buy mobile devices that aren't iOS or Android.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That looks very good. I would love to own one, but not until the price comes down quite a bit.

Oct 25, 2017

mkb got some hands on the prototype. Seems pretty solid.

Still looks like 2 ipad minis connected though lol.

But man, i need to see if i can snag one of these cheaper with our work account.

Galaxy Fold is more futuristic, but this seems way more practical with today's tech until we have quality folding glass.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'm using lots of MS powered apps on my Samsung phone anyway. About time MS made an Android phone.*

*Joe Belfiore found crying somewhere in Redmond. I'm sorry, sweet prince :(

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
That's my point. I just don't get this device. It feels like they wanted to release a Surface device with a foldable screen, but it wasn't ready and they had to release something. I'd rather just wait.

Phone tech been getting stale for some time now.

Foldable phones or MS best Surface feature: Hinges, might be what we need to innovate instead of throwing more camera lens.

In a typical MS product though, I will wait for version 2. They always compromise with V1.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
If the software works as well as that trailer suggests this will be next upgrade.

Shame about that center spacing but phone materials really aren't at a technological level where a company can avoid various compromises.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Shame , if it wasn't on Android I would have definitely bought it Day One and switched off iPhone finally.

If it came out this year, I would have bought it and gave it a try while waiting for the iPhone 12, and maybe kept it based on if the 12 is a significant upgrade finally to the X.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I am already having sparkles in my eyes about using this device to manage our next E3 or Gamescom showfloor. :)

Was already using a random Android phone for remote setup and management of hundred or so PC game clients and a few game servers.
The future is lovely! :D

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The center hinge makes this look aesthetically dated. Foldable screens makes some sense when you want to fold out a larger screen for media, but with a center hinge, a focus on multitasking is something I don't need on a phone

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The center hinge makes this look aesthetically dated. Foldable screens makes some sense when you want to fold out a larger screen for media, but with a center hinge, a focus on multitasking is something I don't need on a phone

What Microsoft went with is infinitely more realistic given where we're at technology wise though. Foldable screens just aren't ready for prime time, as cool as they are conceptually.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
That looks awesome! I've always thought the fold concept was great if it could be perfected so I'm so happy to see they're working on this with Android.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Just seems silly to me that Microsoft still operates on such an old mindset. We have migrated to the point these days in which you announce a phone weeks before release. By the time this comes out the buzz will be dead and not that many people will care about it. I know I won't .

If only Microsoft knew how to generate buzz for a product.

If only they had enough money to hold another one of these events next year...

Oct 25, 2017
If only Microsoft knew how to generate buzz for a product.

If only they had enough money to hold another one of these events next year...

yeah... probably another product event in october 2020 and they will definitely show off the final design for the duo and neo before launch.

Don't really see the issue with this approach. Show off upcoming products, and tease future prototypes.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for so long to see what the excellent Surface team came up with for a phone.

This was very underwhelming. Foldable phones just aren't for me.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I had the S4 for 3 years, then the S7 for 3 years, nad this year I upgraded to the S10, which I love.

Saving any major issues like the galaxy fold had, this will be my next phone. i love this concept and I think Microsoft nailed it by adding android.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This looks really cool.

Too big, unweildy, and likely expensive for me to replace my iPhone with, but nevertheless I like it much better than Samsung's phone.

Sure this might not be quite as good at watching Netflix as the Galaxy Fold, but I'm not that big on watching Netflix on a phone anyway.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Wow they knew I wanted more phones so they made a phone that is two phones this is revolutionary

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
It's still crazy to me that Microsoft has a keyboard for Android - SwiftKey - and they somehow still manage to not make it as good as the WP8.1 keyboard.

Maybe they'll turn that around here, finally.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
damn I'd rather get a regular phone that runs android with good tech for a good price. Something competing with mid-tier phones

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on board! I think it looks a little wide, and I hope the final model is a bit more pocket friendly, but if this dual screen phone has stylus support, it's almost definitely my next phone (unless they make another Surface phone that's more look a typical Note).

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh

mkb got some hands on the prototype. Seems pretty solid.

Still looks like 2 ipad minis connected though lol.

But man, i need to see if i can snag one of these cheaper with our work account.

Galaxy Fold is more futuristic, but this seems way more practical with today's tech until we have quality folding glass.

The black one Panos was holding looked like it had a camera on the other side. This thing is definitely a work in progress.

Oct 25, 2017
The black one Panos was holding looked like it had a camera on the other side. This thing is definitely a work in progress.

from the wired article

``
The Surface Duo that Panay has been carrying around for six months is black, not white, and it's running a version of Android 9 Pie that's been tweaked to support the dual screens.
Holding the Surface Duo is like holding a shell of the past crammed with a not-fully-realized future. It's as thin and light as a pocketable notebook, the paper kind, but from every angle it gleams with screen and glass and shiny hinges. Like the Neo, it shouts "Surface!" because of its large logo, etched in glass. I know it's a phone—it works like a phone, it is littered with Android apps—and yet I can't imagine making many phone calls from it, or going for a run with it, or, in its current form, using it as my only camera on vacation.
In fact, the most recent version of the Duo doesn't have a rear-facing camera. The way it's currently designed, taking a picture would require the person using it to open the Duo, unlock the Duo, and flip its front-facing camera to the back of the device. I question this, more than once. Panay says it's still early days, that the camera may change, that he's nervous to reveal this so far in advance because it exposes the design to competitors.
"These are our efforts for the past two and a half years, so there's a balance to the number of details I can give, even with regards to the camera," he tells me.``

So yeah they are still keeping some cards hidden. The dream is them going nuts with the camera like in the lumia days lol!