• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yikes at this "humor"

Earlier this week I said "I wish there was an android apps Windows Phone then I could truly live" - I didn't have any idea this stuff was being announced, but I work at MS so I could theoretically get yelled at.

Maybe that's yikes-worthy. I'm at the yelling at clouds age tho so a lot of things I do are probably yikes-worthy. It (the post you quoted) also wasn't intended to be funny but rather actual nervousness.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Earlier this week I said "I wish there was an android apps Windows Phone then I could truly live" - I didn't have any idea this stuff was being announced, but I work at MS so I could theoretically get yelled at.

Maybe that's yikes-worthy. I'm at the yelling at clouds age tho so a lot of things I do are probably yikes-worthy.
Are you guys allowed to email Bill Gates if you wanted to?

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo-DS

pkoepulxahj31.jpg

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I'm thinking companies should just chill with any folding products until the folding screen thing is in a better state for consumers.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay you "didn't" know.

I really didn't but back in the day I loved my Lumia (I still have it and use it as a remote control in my Game/TV room) - the first app to go that I really needed was Uber. Seems like such a long time ago but that felt like the first "uh oh" - Live Tiles, OLED screen and USB C years ago were mind-blowing to me at the time. I also recently replaced the dead battery in my now-ancient Zune HD and it's crazy to me that it had an OLED screen all the way back then. I still have to either figure out an easy way to factory reset and flash it so it actually works... or go through the crazy virtual server method online.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
combining all the vulnerabilities of Windows with the amazing selection of vulnerabilities from Android!!

I kid. Looks neat. The fact that they are putting this out this early tells me the software retrofitting is non trivial.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
This isn't that kind of folding device (for better or worse) with a single flexible screen. This doesn't use foldable displays.

This isn't a folding screen. It's two screens with a hinge.

That's my point. I just don't get this device. It feels like they wanted to release a Surface device with a foldable screen, but it wasn't ready and they had to release something. I'd rather just wait.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EF4qpOtXUAEPcAU

The Xbox portable lives! lol

A magnetic physical controller accessory - like the magnetic keyboard they showed, with a real d-pad, buttons and (I guess?) shallow analog sticks would actually make this into something pretty special for gaming. Actually I suppose they wouldn't need to be shallow for that specific application. And probably wouldn't need to be magnetic either. Could adhere like a case, or even be a sub-component in a "regular" case. Slide it in for gaming.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
That's my point. I just don't get this device. It feels like they wanted to release a Surface device with a foldable screen, but it wasn't ready and they had to release something. I'd rather just wait.

This is clearly a device aimed at primarily using the two screens independently. Not all foldable devices are meant to just increase screen space with the folding mechanism. You don't need a foldable display for the former use case.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
A magnetic physical controller accessory - like the magnetic keyboard they showed, with a real d-pad, buttons and (I guess?) shallow analog sticks would actually make this into something pretty special for gaming. Actually I suppose they wouldn't need to be shallow for that specific application. And probably wouldn't need to be magnetic either. Could adhere like a case, or even be a sub-component in a "regular" case. Slide it in for gaming.
I'm sure we'll see some nice controller for this or some accessories with MS going full blown into xCloud. I really like the custom UI control prompts though.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible Idea.
The only reason I would want a foldable phone is to either get a smaller phone with a large screen or get a phone with a physical keyboard...
This thing does neither.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is clearly a device aimed at primarily using the two screens independently. Not all foldable devices are meant to just increase screen space with the folding mechanism. You don't need a foldable display for the former use case.
Why tho? Who out there ever wished for that on their phone?

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Why tho? Who out there ever wished for that on their phone?

Surface devices often aren't "mass market" devices. And I like that because I don't care about how grandma would love to use the device. I don't think the Duo for me, but is your question simply, will there be anyone in the world who want to multi-task on their phone? The answer is then that yes, there's some people out there that want to have two screens on their phone to better multi-task.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
10 years for the Courier to arrive. Seems like a similar timeframe for Hololens really.
For real. I still maintain that MS would be in a different position (better) in mobile had they went with courier over Surface trying to replicate iPad and fucking with windows for a generation in the process.

I'm so on board for the Neo. The fact that it's android puts me over the edge.

Terrible Idea.
The only reason I would want a foldable phone is to either get a smaller phone with a large screen or get a phone with a physical keyboard...
This thing does neither.
Maybe, just maybe, this product isn't for you?

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Surface devices often aren't "mass market" devices. And I like that because I don't care about how grandma would love to use the device. I don't think the Duo for me, but is your question simply, will there be anyone in the world who want to multi-task on their phone? The answer is then simply that yes, there's some people out there that want to have two screens on their phone to better multi-task.
Not mass market?
Surface is one of the most popular tablets/laptops out there. It is as mass market product of as you can get. As far as multitasking on only does it already exists in android, it exists without having to use that beast of a device that almost loses the portability advantage. Anyone who needs multitasking badly enough to get that thing is better off just getting a tablet.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Not mass market?
Surface is one of the most popular tablets/laptops out there. It is as mass market product of as you can get. As far as multitasking on only does it already exists in android, it exists without having to use that beast of a device that almost loses the portability advantage. Anyone who needs multitasking badly enough to get that thing is better off just getting a tablet.

Surface Book isn't designed to be mass market, Surface Studio isn't designed to be mass market. Maybe not even Surface Pro when it first launched, who wanted a touch screen windows? Can it be mass market? Yes. It can take off and maybe people realize they wanted dual screen devices all along. It doesn't mean they start designing devices with "how many people already use this device". If you want to argue about the semantics of "mass market", I'm not interested in that discussion because I think you get what I mean.

Have you tried multi-tasking on a smaller tablet like an iPad Mini before? Have you ever used a dual monitor setup before? Two screens offer very different advantages compared to just one big screen.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh... why Android.... can it dual boot Window? Or at least run ChromeOS?

I want floating Windows that can run video in each window... not just one 1 or 2.

This is what I was banking on from a Microsoft Surface phone.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Am I missing something here? What's so exciting about this? Isn't this basically like that dumb ZTE phone that was launched a few years back? The other products they showed today were a lot better than this.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Surface Book isn't designed to be mass market, Surface Studio isn't designed to be mass market. Maybe not even Surface Pro when it first launched, who wanted a touch screen windows? Can it be mass market? Yes. It can take off and maybe people realize they wanted dual screen devices all along. It doesn't mean they start designing devices with "how many people already use this device". If you want to argue about the semantics of "mass market", I'm not interested in that discussion because I think you get what I mean.

Have you tried multi-tasking on a smaller tablet like an iPad Mini before? Have you ever used a dual monitor setup before? Two screens offer very different advantages compared to just one big screen.
People who use dual screen setup both need it for productivity reasons and are able to afford the extra hardware they need. Those will people will most likely have a dedicated productivity device. But whatever the market will tell.