• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Microsoft has joined other major tech companies such as Amazon, Google and Sony in laying out some new commitments to mitigate climate change. One of the more eye-catching measures it detailed was a pilot project to make 825,000 Xbox consoles carbon neutral. It says those'll be the first carbon-neutral consoles.

Additionally, Microsoft said it's continuing to expand its AI for Earthprogram. It recently released its first APIs and code under the program, which has more than 430 grantees in 71 countries tapping into the company's resources "to power new AI breakthroughs for the planet."

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/23/microsoft-xbox-carbon-neutral-climate-change/

They are starting a lot of other initiatives - details here:

Good to see the console manufacturers doing moves here.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Hopefully if enough progress like this keeps happening it can help make a difference. Bravo to any company trying to do their part. This is the kind of "war" that I'm for.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Console Wars, Trolling
They are already doing their part by not selling any consoles in Asia and huge swathes of Europe. Good on them.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Cue Nintendo setting fire to a giant pile of tyres outside NCL headquarters. The words on-line and on-fire seemingly lost in translation.

On topic this is all good, but yeah. Oil companies run marketing claiming how they are keeping the planet safe. These steps from MS and Sony feel similar to me.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to see this happen industry-wide. I didn't expect my adult life to be the origin story for the Pioneer II program from Phantasy Star Online.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to see some details on how this is being implemented. Is Microsoft just buying "carbon credits" to make up for its emissions in producing these Xboxes?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Great on Microsoft, great on Sony, the more of this we see the better.

Push this hard, please.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
So, switching their data canters power sources to nuclear energy?

When can we have a household nuclear reactor?

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
It's a crazy world when our government is so inept right now that big ass corporations take the lead on climate change.

Keep in mind these corporations (at least in part) do these things because the positive PR and the marketing they get from it. It's all part of that decision calculus.

The end result is fantastic nonetheless, at least from where we're concerned. The ESA E3 leak docs was pretty telling.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Who announced these green initiatives first?

This is all timed for events at the UN today. There's 20 companies signed up to this initiative, including Sony and MS. So really they're announcing them together, but they just put up their blogs at different time.

This is (obviously) not a case of one company racing to publish a reaction piece to the other, or whatever.

In the other thread I posted a link covering the general initiative, including MS's plans.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Now this is console wars I can get behind.

Seriously, the fact that companies are using carbon neutrality as a marketing tool seem to me as a good sign for the future. It is not going to be perfect, but it is a start in the right direction.

Feb 10, 2018
This is all timed for events at the UN today. There's 20 companies signed up to this initiative, including Sony and MS. So really they're announcing them together, but they just put up their blogs at different time.

This is (obviously) not a case of one company racing to publish a reaction piece to the other, or whatever.

In the other thread I posted a link covering the general initiative, including MS's plans.

Oh I see.
Any green new initiatives are good in my book.
Would be rather amusing though if Sony and ms kept on trying to 1up each other by being the more green.

El sueño

Feb 4, 2018
I'm a Sony fan but I think this is awesome. Love when big corporations work together. Any iniciative that is eco friendly is today the best publicity any bussiness can afford.