• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree - gamepass is so far betond sonys psnow it is not even worth comparing.

Nov 11, 2017
I love how all those articles act like streaming and game subscription never existed before MS. We are back to 2012-13 new gen cycle of MS shilling from American media or what?
I can't think of many subscription services doing it like gamepass. Honestly I can't think of one. Doubt this has to do with shilling American media dont really roll like that lol

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get why people are so adamant this is the future.
People like convenience. We switched from CRTs to LCDs because they were skinnier despite being far inferior technology(at least at the time the switch was made). There are plenty of gamers who will eventually embrace the change if it still "feels" fun using streaming services. It's also just another option. It's not like the option to buy a physical or digital title is going to disappear overnight and streaming will become the only option.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
As someone positive on cloud gaming - I think it's cool - I personally don't have a use for it.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It's easy to say that when everyone else hasn't shown their guns aka PS5.

But all the platform holders minus Nintendo as in good positions for the core gamer.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno, I just can't see it.

Maybe I'm wrong and the indisputable incredible value of GamePass will hit the masses, but I just don't see it.

It's not how I consume games, and I doubt it's how most gamers do.

But what do I know 🤷‍♀️

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It already works fine. I play about 4/5 hours of game streaming directly off my standard mobile 4G a week. It's essentially converted online MP into local MP as one player plays on the TV and I play on the mobile. This will only improve with 5G this year. X-Cloud is never going to be as "bad" as it currently is and will always improve and it's good already.

Do you even know what 5G is?
4G is already easily fast enough for 4K video streams.

5G sucks for game streaming and online gaming, the higher frequencies that allows it to transmit more data are absorbed by more things like the trees and buildings around you.
It's also much shorter in range so will require much more access points.

If you were on 5G only you would experience a lot of packet drops and and connection spikes with it suddenly getting bad.
In reality it will drop down to the 4G network.

5Gis much faster than 4G but, I'm already getting 55mbit down/26mbit up, that's easily fast enough for game streaming and online gaming for a local game uses very little bandwidth anyway.

As for home connections 5G has no relevance.

Oct 25, 2017
I went in and looked at the list of PS Now games. That actually looks like a pretty impressive list of content (even if you ignore the PS3 section for being streaming-only), and it's half the price of GP. Of course you're not getting every Sony game day 1, but MS first party also doesn't have as much to give out as Sony does.

Microsoft seems to just have better marketing.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
But streaming is NOT convenient. You're under constant constraints of network stability, including shortages, and the kids watching Netflix.

It's only convenient at first glance. Once you use it you see all the seams, and god they're ugly.

Meh, I use Xcloud at work sometimes.. It's convenient.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped paying for PS+ early on in the PS4 and probably still have the best games available, same will be true of Gamepass. They won't absorb the cost of brand new AAA games forever, but for now it's a good deal.

You don't have as good a selection of games available as is given out in the average month of gamepass.

It's not stopping, they aren't going to remove their USP.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
You don't like GamePass??? Why??

Right now all seems ok, everybody happy but GP is all incremental to devs.You will see what happens when new big AAA titles miss have their sales halved or even worse with all the people waiting to play them 'for 1 $'. 'As a consumer' You may not care but as a hobby gamer You should be worried. Best time for me as a gamer was 90s with the flow of point and click adventures and flight simulators. They're all gone now as the market moved on, and if GP is going to change the future of gaming it means only for the worse for me and I assume a lot of other people too.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

5G sucks for game streaming and online gaming, the higher frequencies that allows it to transmit more data are absorbed by more things like the trees and buildings around you.

If you were on 5G only you would experience a lot of packet drops and and connection spikes with it suddenly getting bad.

5Gis much faster than 4G but, I'm already getting 55mbit down/26mbit up, that's easily fast enough for game streaming and online gaming for a local game uses very little bandwidth anyway.

You totally misread my post. Im streaming on 4G mobile, which will be massively superseded by 5G mobile. And my 4G mobile is already fine for Xcloud gaming MP. 5G will simply be better.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Fear not, as long as there are data caps and insufficient internet connections, there will remain a market for releasing game licenses and installation media in physical form.
I'd say the fear isn't immediate but more about fear for the future. Kinda like climate change, you don't realise until it's too late and by then you've got no choice left.

I'd personally replace fear with hang wringing though.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass is great, its just Microsoft's exclusives are weaker are there are fewer of them. They get that problem workways and they will be in a far better spot fir sure

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Don't know. I have gamepass but I spend more time playing the games i bought on steam/GOG. I never finished Gears or touched Sea of thieves/State of Decay.
It's not about the service per si, it's about the games I want to play.

Last edited:

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I went in and looked at the list of PS Now games. That actually looks like a pretty impressive list of content (even if you ignore the PS3 section for being streaming-only), and it's half the price of GP. Of course you're not getting every Sony game day 1, but MS first party also doesn't have as much to give out as Sony does.

XGS DIDN'T put out as much as Sony, but boy is 2020 gonna be a year to keep tabs on them. I think they have 11 or 12 games releasing this year.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
You cannot change the laws of physics. There will always be an inherent problem and even if everyone had the same massive connection speeds, no data caps and there was a data centre dedicated to it in most major cities there would be problems.

I honestly don't get why people are so adamant this is the future.

Because they understand something you clearly don't: most gamers aren't competitive, esports types. A little lag can easily be tolerable for most console players...and work is underway to reduce this latency as best as physically possible.

People being able to play their games most places they go...that seems more like the future to me.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Anyone downing Xcloud hasn't played it on a good connection. I can't feel the lag at all on most games. I did on Forza 4 but that is it so far and I've played many games on it and it will only get better. Gamepass+Xcloud is going to be a gamechanger. Literally. And it's not like Sony can't do the same thing eventually. They played catch up to Xbox Live and they will do the same here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

It's half the price?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

How is PS Now half the price of Gamepass?

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Right now all seems ok, everybody happy but GP is all incremental to devs.You will see what happens when new big AAA titles miss have their sales halved or even worse with all the people waiting to play them 'for 1 $'. 'As a consumer' You may not care but as a hobby gamer You should be worried. Best time for me as a gamer was 90s with the flow of point and click adventures and flight simulators. They're all gone now as the market moved on, and if GP is going to change the future of gaming it means only for the worse for me and I assume a lot of other people too.

Ok boomer

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
MS should re-name Xbox series X as just 'Game Pass' at this point :)

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For you. For many, it's an excellent offering of gaming.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

mmWave isn't the only 5G tech/spectrum.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Competitive pressure already forced changes to PS Now and GP is still dominating the airwaves/pages. That's great for consumers as Sony will have to improve it further. They just have to. If they launch next-gen with the less powerful box, inferior subscription service and rely solely on 1st party games and improved BC, they'll certainly lose market-share, but only a chunk of it. They'll still be fine.

Sony will probably make way more money having a worse subscription service than they would make if they had a better one. their first party games sell 10 million+ at $60, you'd need a lot of subscriptions to make up the difference.

MS pushes subscription because their first party isn't selling nearly as well as the other two competitors.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Putting your first party games on a cheapo subscription service day one isn't something I'd expect anyone else to follow Microsoft on.
Both Sony and Nintendo enjoy strong first party sales, and aren't about to cannibalize those sales pushing a subscription service.

On a side note why do Forbes contributors act as sales people? With everything that goes on in the industry it seems like they're always just writing an article to push a product.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS Now is $60/year. Game Pass is $10/month which makes it $120/year. PS Now also does not require Plus for online play for games that are on the service which may also be a positive for some
tbf, i don't think a single person pays full price for game pass. i had it for a year and i paid less than $10 total.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
It isn't just GamePass that is changing things though. When more games support shrinking, being able to stream a game as it downloads instead of waiting for it to be ready to start. All the different things coming together is awesome, and if it works seamlessly which they really need to get done, at launch, then it'll be incredible. If anything doesn't work, it is hard to recover.

Also GP is one thing, GPU getting all DLC for those U versions of games, the 3 year trial everyone is hopping in on, it is just all the right messages. You've really just got to have something against it for a reason, to not see its value.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice workaround when you have access to a high-end connection, I'll give you that.

But for regular folks at home, it's just more hassle than just playing on local hardware.

IF YOU'RE AT HOME PLAY ON LOCAL HARDWARE THEN!! lol Xcloud isn't trying to be like Stadia and be the only way you play..it's just another option to play your games

Oct 31, 2017
User warned: Disparaging games journalists
Forbes guys sounding like MS PR these days, this reminds me of 2012/2013 articles from back in the day. What's up with the American gaming media? Anyways not denying the value in GP but I feel articles like this are hyperbolic and premature. I dunno why everyone is so eager for streaming to be the future of gaming and replacement for console gaming. You'd think the complete failure of Stadia would make people more cautious about declaring streaming as the future so soon.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
You can also just download the games from PSNow so you don't have to stream them, and they come with their DLC.