• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
MS considers Gears to be AAA, you can see that from job postings and the way they talk about the franchise. MS has mostly used AAAA when a game is being developed for next gen during the current generation, like the initiative. Halo infinite has had AAAA tied to it for obvious reasons, 500-600 team at 343 and 100 at skybox working on Halo Infinite for presumably 5 years on release while also developing a new engine (most likely cross-gen.) SOD2 was described as AAA by the developer (who was independent), MS priced it at $30. It should also be pointed out that job postings during Halo 5's development listed AAA.

Isn't that kind of proving my point, they are referring to Next gen big budget games as AAAA

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I think it is one of those things where it is a desired goal year after year, but it isn't something they are basing success of their release schedule on, if that makes sense. If they can get 2/4 or 3/4, that would be just fine. They wouldn't really need to release that many a year anyway. 3rd party is there to fill in gaps and it is much easier said than done.

Sounds to me that they are getting ready to acquire way more studios

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Microsofts studios can make whatever type of game they want, it's thier call on the size

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"believes that nobody has better technology than it does at present"
"Sony views itself as having the largest developer network at present that is larger than those of Microsoft and Nintendo combined"

Arrogant.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
State of Decay 2 is considered AAA though
At a $30 retail pricepoint they don't - regardless of what the developers themselves say (in June 2016).
Sounds to me that they are getting ready to acquire way more studios
Yup. If they want to release 4 AAA games a year, then they're probably going to need at least ~12 AAA studios. By current counts they're around ~7 (343i, Coalition, Rare, Playground 1, Playground 2, Turn10, The Initiative). Even if Obsidian, Inexile, and Undead Labs go AAA, they're still going to need a few more.

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that kind of proving my point, they are referring to Next gen big budget games as AAAA
No? That just means when next gen is here it will go back to AAA as usual, AAAA is clearly used to demonstrate the large jump in budget we see every generation. AAA games for Xbox one had job postings for AAAA during the lead up to next gen, they went back to AAA in job postings after. Your post said MS considers AAA games to be AAAA and AA to be AAA, clearly they don't as Halo, Gears and Forza were all considered AAA by MS (job postings/MS themselves.) While MS priced SOD2 at $30.

Last edited:

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
To me a AAA game per quarter is Gears 5, Halo Infinite, and whatever The Initiative end up making.

Add Forza and Playgrounds Fable as well.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
"believes that nobody has better technology than it does at present"
"Sony views itself as having the largest developer network at present that is larger than those of Microsoft and Nintendo combined"

Arrogant.

This is very similar to Steve Ballmer, Blockbuster, Oracle etc, they downplay the growing market and when it comes they are desperate to catch up.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
It'll, at best, be like Apple music or spotify, and no small indie artist can make a career out of money from that.

I highly doubt, we are seeing more indies on Game Pass, I think Microsoft is correct that Game Pass allows indies and small studios a chance to market their game. But the main difference between Music TV vs Games is that games provide more monetisation opportunities. I expect indie games transition to the route of GaaS.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Sony just recently started releasing several AAA titles in one year, and that's with well established studios.
Did they really? From their own studios they released God of War this year and Spiderman from a third party studio. If we count Detroit, that's another third party studio.

Even in 2017 it was Horizon, 2016 Uncharted 4. Sony's own studios haven't released more than one AAA game per year this gen

Doesn't Microsoft consider State of Decay 2 AAA? I'm guessing a few of those smaller budget games could possibly fill that 1 AAA per quarter quota.

I think State of Decay 3 will go the service route tbh

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why Sony are talking about there first party studios being bigger then MS + Nintendo , if MS buy a few more devs, MS May even have more devs.

The term used there is 'developer network'. That could mean headcount, first party + xdev publishing... Owned studio count is only one metric. Those comments might also predate Microsoft acquisitions.

Last edited:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Ps4 is on a 10 year plan? Not sure if I agree, it has 2 maybe 3 more years max

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
At a $30 retail pricepoint they don't - regardless of what the developers themselves say (in June 2016).

Yup. If they want to release 4 AAA games a year, then they're probably going to need at least ~12 AAA studios. By current counts they're around ~7 (343i, Coalition, Rare, Playground 1, Playground 2, Turn10, The Initiative). Even if Obsidian, Inexile, and Undead Labs go AAA, they're still going to need a few more.

Assume each dev they acquire takes 4-6 years to make a game.

To hit that target, they will need dozens of AAA devs working

It's like Disney, they map out years in advance which project each team is working on and the year it will come out

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Just as a reminder: Whether something is AAA or not has nothing to do with its retail pricing. It's about budget and scope.

Still, SoD2 doesn't look like it had a large budget to be honest.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
PSN as an all around entertainment service sounds good to me. But Sony needs to get Sony pictures involved if it's going to be attractive.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
To further add, these quotes confirm to me that MS are not looking for smaller devs anymore.

They want established studios with a significant headcount

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
One of the coolest things about 1 AAA game/quarter means we're finally going to get a big Summer game regularly.

I think MS will copy the Disney model and have both a Summer and Winter Blockbuster, say June and November.

Also they will launch something big in March and September

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One AAA game per quarter is what I want to see from Sony. And I think they'd be in a better position to deliver that with a couple more studios under their belt, alongside whatever partnerships they usually have going on. AAA games need like 4+ years so I'm not sure how Microsoft is going to do it considering they've only just now started expanding their first party base. Either way, I'm interested. More games means there's more of a chance of finding something I like.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
One AAA game per quarter is what I want to see from Sony. And I think they'd be in a better position to deliver that with a couple more studios under their belt. AAA games need like 4+ years so I'm not sure how Microsoft is going to do it considering they've only just now started expanding their first party base. Either way, I'm interested. More games means there's more of a chance of finding something I like.
they did last year, MLB, GoW, detroit and spiderman is 4 games a year, however i guess they are not spread into these quarters, but its still 4 AAA games a year, this year we will have MLB, Days gone, i also expect TLOU2 and either DS or Nioh 2 imo, so once again 4 AAA titles a year, if my guess is correct.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they did last year, MLB, GoW, detroit and spiderman is 4 games a year, however i guess they are not spread into these quarters, but its still 4 AAA games a year, this year we will have MLB, Days gone, i also expect TLOU2 and either DS or Nioh 2 imo, so once again 4 AAA titles a year, if my guess is correct.
I'm more talking across the entire generation. Sony first party didn't really start hitting it out of the park until 2016 onward. The first two years were weak, with only Bloodborne and Until Dawn being standouts. They had a few AAA games release in the first year too (Shadow Fall, Infamous, DriveClub), but they were decent at best. Good games need a lot of time, so I guess the built in but unsaid word behind my statement is, "one great AAA game per quarter". For that, studios will inevitably need more time, and I'm guessing the generation is going to bring in potentially longer development times.

Also, while it's not fair, I don't really count MLB. I'm talking single player games basically.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Don't forget:
Most company's AA Microsoft calls AAA and everyone else's AAA Microsoft calls their games AAAA for some weird reason. So a AA-AAAish type game of any kind each quarter isn't as hard as people think. They don't mean release a Gears/Halo type game every quarter. Microsoft called State of Decay and ReCore AAA

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Just as a reminder: Whether something is AAA or not has nothing to do with its retail pricing. It's about budget and scope.

Still, SoD2 doesn't look like it had a large budget to be honest.
Oh ofc. A free-2-play title can be AAA.

I just think that everything around State of Decay 2 points to MS recognising it as AA.

Don't forget:
Most company's AA Microsoft calls AAA and everyone else's AAA Microsoft calls their games AAAA for some weird reason. So a AA-AAAish type game of any kind each quarter isn't as hard as people think. They don't mean release a Gears/Halo type game every quarter. Microsoft called State of Decay and ReCore AAA
Source needed. I can't think of a single time where Microsoft themselves has done this, or where they've used AAAA indiscriminately. Games like Halo Infinite are undoubtedly AAAA with 400+ people working on it, and >5 years of development.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Oh ofc. A free-2-play title can be AAA.
Source needed. I can't think of a single time where Microsoft themselves has done this, or where they've used AAAA indiscriminately. Games like Halo Infinite are undoubtedly AAAA with 400+ people working on it, and >5 years of development.
https://gamerant.com/microsoft-game-studios-aaaa-xbox-game/

7 years ago this was reported. Do you recall any sort of game released to reflect such description? I can't

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
https://gamerant.com/microsoft-game-studios-aaaa-xbox-game/

7 years ago this was reported. Do you recall any sort of game released to reflect such description? I can't
Lol. I mean, the proof is in the pudding here. Your source is from 7 years ago. The Kinect sold >20 million units that year.

But yes, Halo 5 for all its flaws is unquestionably AAAA. I recall Black Tusk's cancelled project being AAAA as well. And as others have said - Microsoft uses AAAA in relation to next generation system-defining titles. They used it for Black Tusk's title, the Initiative, and I believe Halo Infinite and Playground Team 2 (i.e. Fable) - titles which by all accounts warrant it.

Your suggestion that MS just plasters AAA labels indiscriminately is totally off-base.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
So many posts about As...
How about just release a good (& unbroken) game at launch...

Who cares how many people worked on it or how much money were being poured on it...just make a good product...

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like Microsoft is planning to make more acquisitions if that is their release target.
They definitely are. Phil talked about this in a recent interview. He briefly mentioned trying to expand 1P beyond the usual Canada , USA and UK. So I'm guessing they have a couple more acquisitions planned and maybe brand new studios too.
I think it's more of letting them make the games they wanna make, no matter the size. Like ninja theory I believe wants to make more hellblade size games whereas I think one of the CD from obsidian said he wants to make an elder scrolls/ witcher scale game( I believe it was posted in the Ms first party thread)

Quote about budget :

https://segmentnext.com/2018/11/26/newly-acquired-studios-for-xbox-exclusives/
Thanks for this post. I've been looking for this comment by Mike. Nextgen will be interesting indeed.
At the rate they are going, I wouldn't be surprised.. Also remember they got MSGP and the new Asian Dev partnership division.. I bet they will be working with much bigger budgets especially now we got the CEO and CFO are all in.

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
MS has been aiming for 4 AAA releases per quarter this gen to begin with. Delays and cancellation of projects has impacted it but it's always been their intent for it.

2015 had Halo5, ROTR, Forza. They planned to have QB that year too but delays happened.

2016 had Forza, Gears and QB. The original 2016 plan was Forza, Gears, CD3 and Scalebound but we know what happened to the last 2 games.

2017 was supposed to be Halo Wars 2,Forza , SOT, SOD2 but again delays impacted that plan.

The new studios are aimed to improve quality of games and have a better buffer against reality of delays that cause an even the best laid plans to go out of schedule

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Man, we need to read more closely. #1 - these are not quotes from Microsoft and Sony, these are interpreted secondhand (third) by an investor who was getting a partial presentation by the platforms. What does that mean? When the investor says AAA, that may have nothing to do with what Microsoft calls AAA. It might be that they're quoting MS, but that's unclear. Let's not assume things we don't know.

Similarly, #2 - 1 AAA game a quarter says nothing about WHO IS MAKING THOSE GAMES. In fact, it makes FAR more sense to make sure that Game Pass is hyping some really big name 3rd party games, rather than siloing off and thereby losing 3rd party relationships on what is a win-win.

I consider subscription and streaming services harmful for the diversity of the industry and the medium. These services effectively re-raises the barriers to publishing and developing games that successfully was torn down over the last decade and moves back all the control into the hands of platform owners. I wouldn't mind if they stay as a niche means of consuming games but I'm afraid of the possibility that they like video and music services will capture too much of the market. I can't think of a worse future for games overall. The implications are dystopian. Consoles are really driving the worst trends on the business-side of gaming, it's such a shame.
No, since you would have to get on/be chosen for the service in the first place and with a subscription service the library content basically becomes a strategic decision rather than an open marketplace. Increasing the dependency on platform holders is the same as giving them control.
[…]
I wish people thought about these things a bit more clearly. In many ways netflix for games doesn't even make any sense. The industry is doing very well - it's not like studios have trouble monetizing their games.
[…]
Piracy and torrenting became big because it was convenient, not because it was free. With games these are all solved problems since a decade. Steam and the other online stores already are the Netflix equivalent to games, it's just different because games are different.
This is so off. I get that people don't like subscriptions. There is NO evidence that game subscription services causes developers to make less money. When you stream a movie, you don't buy it. When you stream music, you don't buy it. But on Game Pass, those are rotating catalogs and there are incentives to buy the DLC or to pick up the game fully. Even more importantly, people who get to pay more games spend more money on games. Plus, game pass seems to pay devs much better than music streaming does (we don't know specifics). Either way, devs come out ahead when they have this as an option.

You're also suggesting that devs don't need the money. They're making plenty of money!! Ignore the fact that studios are dropping off the face of the Earth as fast as they ever have because skyrocketing costs of development combined with the democratization of tools make it ironically increasingly difficult to eke out a survivable niche. Even big publishers can't find a winning monetization strategy. Gamers refuse to accept higher game prices. They refuse to accept loot boxes and other microtransactions. That's fine, but it doesn't pay employees. If you think the issue is just convenience, then Game Pass would never have taken off. Price matters. A lot.

Steam is not the Netflix of games. That's not the distribution model, it's not the business model, it's nothing alike. Unless you think of Netflix as just "my library", I don't understand why you think that works. It's such a weird inversion of reality that you think the current industry empowers studios in a way that subscription services don't.. How do you think the industry works now? Studios just decide they want to put out their game, and then it magically appears on the platform, and it sells gangbusters! Nah. Well-managed subscription services are allowing more studios to break free of publishing agreements and viably assert their own way. Does the platform exert influence on who gets on? YES! But they do that ALREADY. Curation is good for the platform and it's good for the consumer.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is very similar to Steve Ballmer, Blockbuster, Oracle etc, they downplay the growing market and when it comes they are desperate to catch up.
Doesn't work here. Sony acutally is ahead with streaming. May not be the best but it will only improve. So they all ready go their foot into the game they wont be catching up. If streaming ever blows up they will be there.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The World
It says MS eventually wants to get to 1 AAA game is quarter and that it will take time. It's not going to happen next year or when year after that.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't work here. Sony acutally is ahead with streaming. May not be the best but it will only improve. So they all ready go their foot into the game they wont be catching up. If streaming ever blows up they will be there.
In terms of tech perhaps, in terms of scale it will be hard against Microsoft and Google.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
This is so off. I get that people don't like subscriptions. There is NO evidence that game subscription services causes developers to make less money. When you stream a movie, you don't buy it. When you stream music, you don't buy it. But on Game Pass, those are rotating catalogs and there are incentives to buy the DLC or to pick up the game fully. Even more importantly, people who get to pay more games spend more money on games. Plus, game pass seems to pay devs much better than music streaming does (we don't know specifics). Either way, devs come out ahead when they have this as an option.
I never said it causes developers to make less money. I said it creates dependencies that are are unhealthy for a diverse market. It's a barrier to entry that doesn't need to exist.
Devs that get to publish their game on the platform get ahead, not "devs" in general.

You're also suggesting that devs don't need the money. They're making plenty of money!! Ignore the fact that studios are dropping off the face of the Earth as fast as they ever have because skyrocketing costs of development combined with the democratization of tools make it ironically increasingly difficult to eke out a survivable niche. Even big publishers can't find a winning monetization strategy. Gamers refuse to accept higher game prices. They refuse to accept loot boxes and other microtransactions. That's fine, but it doesn't pay employees. If you think the issue is just convenience, then Game Pass would never have taken off. Price matters. A lot.
This doesn't help with devs needing money, it makes it harder since anyone not invited now has to contest with the entire subscription catalog. If I want to see movie A but it costs $5 to rent then 75% of the time I'm going to watch movie B on netflix because it's "free". You need to be on the platform to benefit from it, and that's a problem when services are owned by corporations with their own agendas that, as history repeatedly has shown, almost never(steam being the one exception) align with things such as keeping an open market and consumer friendly practices. With a subscription service the financials simply aren't going to work out if it's a free for all market, instead we'll get even more money hatting and corporate curation.

Steam is not the Netflix of games. That's not the distribution model, it's not the business model, it's nothing alike. Unless you think of Netflix as just "my library", I don't understand why you think that works. It's such a weird inversion of reality that you think the current industry empowers studios in a way that subscription services don't.. How do you think the industry works now? Studios just decide they want to put out their game, and then it magically appears on the platform, and it sells gangbusters! Nah.
It's the Netflix of games in the sense that it solved the early 2000's distribution and monetization problem and has become one of the most popular places for game "consumption". Netflix and Steam are indeed very different but so are gaming and video content.

Well-managed subscription services are allowing more studios to break free of publishing agreements and viably assert their own way. Does the platform exert influence on who gets on? YES! But they do that ALREADY. Curation is good for the platform and it's good for the consumer.
All this does is to swap the publisher for the service provider. It's the same shit all over again. Curation is the job of reviewers, podcasts and discussion forums. Outside of scams and the most vile stuff It's actively harmful to have it as a barrier to enter the market. When I read things like this I start wondering if I'm on a games enthusiast forum or a corporate lobbyist club meeting.

Last edited:

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With AAA games taking around 3-5 years to make, taking an average of 4 with a release per quarter would essentially require 15 (not 16 assuming 1 finished and released that quarter) titles in production at a given time. This is also assuming they can manage to prevent delays and maintain some level of quality. I guess by Nintendo's output they could have a bunch of repeats like Mario Kart/Party/etc and remasters to smooth it over.

Nevertheless, it is potentially riskier to launch a broken game than delaying today, so they can't maintain this schedule with any level of reliability. Who knows though, Sony is reaching that point now and even with Quantic Dream spinning off, they may be able to pull this off going forward. Especially with third party games they publish like spider-man to smooth over gaps