• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"No discussions or negotiations regarding post-closing employment arrangements with Microsoft occurred between Microsoft and Mr. Kotick prior to the approval and execution of the merger agreement and the transactions contemplated thereby, or have occurred subsequent to such approval and execution, through the date hereof," the statement says, as spotted by Stephen Totilo of Axios.

www.gamespot.com

Microsoft And Activision Blizzard Have Not Decided If Bobby Kotick Will Stay Or Leave If Buyout Goes Through

According to a filing, Microsoft and Activision Blizzard management have not yet met to discuss if the founder and CEO will stay on.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
They ain't gonna say shit like yep he's leaving afterwards they are going to be quiet till it's a done deal and he's gone

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Oh they've decided, they just can't state that publicly yet. Garbage article to stir up drama.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Can we have threads like this shut down till after the acquisition? It's just going to devolve into arguments and console wars and drive by posts by all these people who have no idea how any of this works.

There's zero reasonable discussion that can be had on this topic on this forum.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I completely read the statement as saying he's gone once it's completed, which iirc was also the rumors from a couple of months ago.

That they're taking over the company without Kotick asking what his new position will be, or MS offering a promotion or whatever, says it all.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean the fact that they didn't say "we plan to keep Activision Blizzard leadership in tact" when announcing the acquisition like they have with pretty much every acquisition pretty much said that already.

He's gonna be gone after the deal closes

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
i really hope they take out the trash
pbb6NVh.gif

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
That quote doesn't even say if a decision has been made or not, it just says that they have not discussed it before the approval of the acquisition.

Anyone who thinks that Kotick will remain after the acquisition needs to share what they are smoking.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Can we have threads like this shut down till after the acquisition? It's just going to devolve into arguments and console wars and drive by posts by all these people who have no idea how any of this works.

There's zero reasonable discussion that can be had on this topic on this forum.

Yeah, especially since this isn't based on reporting that has sources within either company that are giving an inside scoop. This is entirely based on an update to a filing where they legally CAN'T state that business decisions have been made or it would derail the acquisition. The ultimate non-story and no good discussion can come out of it.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Title should be:

Microsoft And Activision Blizzard Cannot Officially Decide If Bobby Kotick Will Stay Or Leave If Buyout Goes Through

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I *highly* doubt a billionaire is suddenly going to want to report to an actual boss and not just shareholders.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Obviously they can't say anything. But if for some strange reason he does end up staying on, Microsoft should be raked over coals keeping him.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I mean the fact that they didn't say "we plan to keep Activision Blizzard leadership in tact" when announcing the acquisition like they have with pretty much every acquisition pretty much said that already.

He's gonna be gone after the deal closes
Exactly. If existing leadership is staying on, you arrange for that and announce it when you announce the acquisition. If you very specifically don't say that, it's almost like a tacit admission that the people in existing leadership roles are going to be getting golden parachutes.

It's not like Kotick is sitting on his yacht wondering if Microsoft will keep him on. Half the point of the acquisition, from his perspective, is to be a "graceful exit" for him.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gamespot might as well just post a headline that says "we have no idea how business works"

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I can only hope for the oficial closing day.

It will be a celebration of ActiBliz Games on Game Pass and a letter to fuck Kotick off and all those shitty board members who still endorse that type of shitty people and toxic environment.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Yeah, Microsoft wants to negate the 70 billion spent on studios and IP's with awful PR by not giving this clown the boot

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This is like.. Man there's NOTHING to this story lol. They even state that the issue hasn't even been discussed at all. And it makes sense. Until its final they aren't going to have talks. MS has no power yet. I don't even know whats meant to talk about here.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Would prefer if it's just Ybarra talking to Spencer. Bobby can go enjoy retirement with his collection of yachts.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I am curious who will helm Activision. Will they just put them all into XGS and separate Blizzard into a Bethesda situation? Going to be interesting to see how they handle them.

EDIT: nvm just learned who Rob Kostich is.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's not really possible for them to say "he's out on his ass when the deal closes." This is what they have to say right now. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that he stays though.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, we all know exactly what is going to happen...

The Good
Kotick is gone. They aren't going to say anything yet, but there is no way he is staying on after the merger.

The Bad
Kotick is going to receive a giant, giant bonus. It will be into the hundreds of millions. We already know that they are, essentially, contractually obligated to give him this. Also, they are going to allow him to resign, and he is going to leave saying shit like "I am proud of the work we have done here, but I feel like this transition is the perfect moment for me to dedicate myself to my family" or some garbage like that. Microsoft will also probably say some flattering shit about him on the way out as well.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The fuck are you doing MS?! Clear PR win to sacking Bob. Get him out

Edut: should of read the stuff before posting. Bad me bad

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't Activision-Blizzard still a separate, independent company from Microsoft? So, legally speaking, Microsoft has no authority to dictate Activision-Blizzard actions even if they want to get rid of Kotick. They, currently, have as much power to fire Kotick as they have getting Sony to fire Jim Ryan, in other words none.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Well, the statement says they haven't talked to Bobby about his future, yet.
Microsoft has probably already had talks about it internally but I think people in here are misinterpreting what the statement says.
It's not that they can't disclose their plans. It's that they literally haven't spoken to Bobby about it, yet. There's a difference.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Well...yeah. Can't really do any of that right now. I'm no lawyer but I don't think they can do that even if they wanted to.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
They are probably full of it though. There is no way that Phil Spencer and Kotick haven't had that discussion when they were talking abut the purchase to begin with. Maybe not in any official capacity, which is maybe what the article is referring to, but there is zero chance Microsoft doesn't know what Kotick intends.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I mean legaly they can't make that statement yet. They're still separate companies and MS has already stated they can't dictate what ABK can or cannot do during this process. And that includes employees. Dumb article really.