• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Microsoft Corp (Nasdaq: MSFT) and Nuance Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq: NUAN) today announced they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Microsoft will acquire Nuance for $56.00 per share, implying a 23% premium to the closing price of Nuance on Friday, April 9, in an all-cash transaction valued at $19.7 billion, inclusive of Nuance's net debt. Nuance is a trusted cloud and AI software leader representing decades of accumulated healthcare and enterprise AI experience. Mark Benjamin will remain CEO of Nuance, reporting to Scott Guthrie, executive vice president of Cloud & AI at Microsoft. The transaction is intended to close this calendar year.
Microsoft has accelerated its efforts to provide industry-specific cloud offerings to support customers and partners as they respond to disruption and new opportunities.
These efforts include the Microsoft Cloud for Healthcare, introduced in 2020, which aims to address the comprehensive needs of the rapidly transforming and growing healthcare industry. Today's acquisition announcement represents the latest step in Microsoft's industry-specific cloud strategy.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to know about the nuance of this deal.

Man though, Microsoft is on a spree.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I held onto my Nuance stock from a couple years ago

One of my fantasy football leagues is with a bunch of Nuance employees so maybe I can convert my winnings into common stock?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Is that material for MS given they own SwiftKey?

Doubt it, and I doubt it had any impact on Microsoft's purchase. I just mentioned it because some people didn't know who Nuance is, but know about Swype, as it was a fairly popular keyboard before it was shut down back in 2018.

I don't know if Microsoft could implement any features from Swype into Swiftkey, as I don't know if Nuance still has the source code for Swype.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
MS is truly another beast alongside Amazon, jeez.
Amazon only has like 1/3 of that. Berkshire Hathaway, Alphabet and Apple are the only other companies over $100 billion.
(Berkshire is Buffet's company, it hasn't bought enough stocks the last years. With Covid, they are too prudent in buying up companies.)

110519_companies_with_most_cash_on_hand.1573143505007.png

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
Nuance do a lot of voice stuff...

They were probably bought for that.

I think they even worked on siri for apple.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I basically know nothing but is it not odd Google or Apple didn't buy them?

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
Nuance has naturally dragon speaking standard and industry specific versions.

Mostly they deal with ocr, natural language ocr, speech recognition and things of that nature.

(Ocr means converting scanned pdf text to editable document text.)

It's a good fit for office.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Amazon only has like 1/3 of that. Berkshire Hathaway, Alphabet and Apple are the only other companies over $100 billion.
(Berkshire is Buffet's company, it hasn't bought enough stocks the last years. With Covid, they are too prudent in buying up companies.)

For some reason I thought Apple had more than anybody.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

"Microsoft accelerates industry cloud strategy for healthcare with the acquisition of Nuance" News

https://news.microsoft.com/2021/04/12/microsoft-accelerates-industry-cloud-strategy-for-healthcare-with-the-acquisition-of-nuance/
www.resetera.com

"Microsoft accelerates industry cloud strategy for healthcare with the acquisition of Nuance" News

https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-acquires-nuance-communications-for-19-7-billion-in-cash.408621/post-62708820

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
When will governments finally tackle Bigtech, which spends untaxed money here and there to consolidate its oligopoly position? I can't see anything benefitting the competition on the market or innovation.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Going for the medical field green. Super interesting buy and didn't see this coming.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Every time these deals say in cash I just imagine dump trucks just dumping a heap of notes and coins (non-oiled).

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When will governments finally tackle Bigtech, which spends untaxed money here and there to consolidate its oligopoly position? I can't see anything benefitting the competition on the market or innovation.
Big tech run the world dude, including governments. Governments just include people that want to be on these trillionaire company's good side.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Could be that Apple isn't keeping their money at rest, but spending it on R&D or giving dividends to stock owners. I think in sheer profit they are the biggest company.
No, they have. I just used a picture from 2019 because I couldn't find a more recent one with Amazon. They doubled up after 2019.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm still salty at Nuance for turning Swype from the best keyboard to a piece of shit. I was an alpha tester for Swype back when they were independent and they were doing some great things with the keyboard, then Nuance bought them and force integrated their "Dragon" stuff and fucked it all up. Took all of the feedback and stuff from us testers and threw it in the trash.

Big get for Microsoft, tho.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

Damn. MS can buy Sony if they want to.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still salty at Nuance for turning Swype from the best keyboard to a piece of shit. I was an alpha tester for Swype back when they were independent and they were doing some great things with the keyboard, then Nuance bought them and force integrated their "Dragon" stuff and fucked it all up. Took all of the feedback and stuff from us testers and threw it in the trash.

Big get for Microsoft, tho.

This. I am so very bitter about Swype. In addition, it has never been adequately replaced on Android.

IOS's seemingly better keyboard is what may actually get me to make the jump

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Microsoft Employee: Hey, did you order the replacement ants for our company ant farm
Microsoft Buying Person: What?
Microsoft Employee: I said we needed new ants
Microsoft Buying Person: Oops

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Apple has 195 Billion cash on hand. Not sure where that other chat is getting it's info.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Damn. MS can buy Sony if they want to.
Microsoft could buy half-a-dozen lower-tier-big-tech companies and still have enough left over to buy a random game studio in Europe. All while still having enough to give christmas bonuses that year.

Microsoft is just massive. If they really want something (and the company isn't ideologically opposed to Microsoft), they are going to outbid everyone and get it. Thats just the kind of "Fuck you" money Microsoft has. They can flex all over all the tech companies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Apple's the odd one. Wonder what happened to the other $150 billion cash they had a few years ago.

www.vox.com

Apple is America’s richest company that isn’t a bank, with nearly $250 billion in cash

It’s so much money it would be almost impossible for Apple to invest it all productively.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Apple's the odd one. Wonder what happened to the other $150 billion cash they had a few years ago.

www.vox.com

Apple is America’s richest company that isn’t a bank, with nearly $250 billion in cash

It’s so much money it would be almost impossible for Apple to invest it all productively.

They're either hiding it overseas in some secret account... or they decided to blow 150 Billion Dollars into low-profile aquisitions, R&D or chip production. Could go either way, really