• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
One of my friends was sure this meant Banjo by Double Fine, then I reminded him how awful the platforming was in Psychonauts.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Perfect since I prefer to play adventure point-click games on PC. Haven't tried Psychonauts yet though. Will all of their games drop from PSN if you don't own those yet?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They seem to fit each other perfectly, DF with financial security and MS with that cheap/AA episodic games for gamepass

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Delighted for Tim and the team and delighted if this means an even better Psychonauts 2, the original is one of my all time favourite games. But slightly sad that it means no DF games on Switch after that.... it'll be PC only for me for DF from then on, which I guess is fine. Excited to see what they can do without constant budget worries

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
They seem to fit each other perfectly, DF with financial security and MS with that cheap/AA episodic games for gamepass

Has DF made any episodic games? If anything, MS seems to like AA devs with multiple creative teams that can release games every 2 years or so.

I think the diversity was sorely needed and I'm looking forward to more to play between the big AAA games.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think DF has made any episodic games? If anything, MS seems to like AA devs with multiple creative teams that can release games every 2 years or so.

I think the diversity was sorely needed and I'm looking forward to more to play between the big AAA games.
I forgot the name but they made something like that although that's 2 episode only. Yeah MS acquisition seems to target financially unstable AA devs, they aim to pump more games at fast rate than the usual 3-4 AAA product which makes perfect sense for gamepass

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I forgot the name but they made something like that although that's 2 episode only. Yeah MS acquisition seems to target financially unstable AA devs, they aim to pump more games at fast rate than the usual 3-4 AAA product which makes perfect sense for gamepass
Broken Age's release was split into two parts because they were literally running out of money, and needed something to scrape by. I don't think it was by design.

Hahahahahah... ha.. I wonder how long Tim is going to last. This has to hurt for him. He's not an idiot.
No offense but you have no idea what you're talking about.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Broken Age's release was split into two parts because they were literally running out of money, and needed something to scrape by. I don't think it was by design.

No offense but you have no idea what you're talking about.
True but I think something like that would fit game pass, DF is an efficient studio

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
I literally started replaying Psychonauts about an hour before MS' conference.

So if throwing money around is great for the dev, Era is on board? Except when it's EGS?

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
The long and short of it is, they didn't have to agree to be bought by MS if they didn't like whatever they were offered; it wasn't like it was a hostile takeover or a calculated devaluing of their company to force them to sell. Double Fine is a company that I think will thrive from a service like Game Pass, their games are perfect for it.

They potentially go bankrupt and lay off numerous people, and maybe some publisher might in the future buy one or two of their IP's and do a re-release of one of their old games some years down the line, while we all lament at the closure of the studio.
They agree to be bought by a publisher, granting them financial security for the future of their studio and employees, at the cost of their games releasing on slightly less platforms.

Pick one.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
While I certainly feel that this isn't good news, I'd vastly prefer that they could stay independant. But, reality is another thing. The market hasn't been kind to them and hopefully this means they'll have the stability to continue making good games. That they're given room to invest.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows how these sort of things end up playing out but my first reaction was relief for Double Fine. Microsoft and DF both have what the other needs, Double Fine has been on a tight rope act since Majesco days.

LeroyOctopus

Oct 29, 2017
.. did you follow the broken age production cycle? "Efficient" is not a word I would use.
That was one game where they got carried away with Kickstarter stretch goals without doing the extra math to figure out the full cost of it. Look at everything else they've put out, and they are fantastic and making small games like Costume Quest, Hack & Slash, and Headlander which bring unique ideas and stay within a modest budget.

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows how these sort of things end up playing out but my first reaction was relief for Double Fine. Microsoft and DF both have what the other needs, Double Fine has been on a tight rope act since Majesco days.
Yeah this is job security for people at Double Fine.

I do kind of hope MS has the power to make another Monkey Island happen too.

Flayer

Oct 28, 2017
Strange acquisition, Double Fine have never been a particularly successful developer commercially. I don't see this making any difference to the success of the Xbox brand.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
While I certainly feel that this isn't good news, I'd vastly prefer that they could stay independant.
This is worded so weird. It reads like you're going to say that you'd prefer they not be independent. You confirmed twice that you're against it. Usually when you say While in this sense you first mention that you don't agree with or that you're not happy with (vice versa) and then after the comma you say something that's against/counters what you mentioned before the comma.

Examples:

While I don't like Steam, I like the search functionality.

While I do like Steam, the search functionality has its issues.

What you're doing:

While I don't like Steam, the search functionality has its issues.

Last edited:

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
"You don't know what you're talking about" is not a point. Its an ad hominem without back up.
That's not true. I was directly addressing the conversation and your current relation to it, not making an external and irrelevant judgment of you. And it's a bit rich that you're calling out my supposed logical fallacy by committing another (argument from fallacy).

More to the point, I've already backed up my point extensively over the last several pages. Which, again, shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Apart from publishing some amazing games, as a dev they've done nothing of interest for decades.

Hope Microsoft give them the rocket up the arse that is needed and they produce a goldmine of games.

LeroyOctopus

Oct 29, 2017
MS has worked with them twice before. Last time was the seaseme street game for Kinect.
More than that even. MS was the original publisher for Psychonauts 1 before they dropped it. DF and MS made Iron Brigade/Trenched together, then the two Happy Action Theater "games" for Kinect, and, of course, the Sesame Street game you mentioned.

I'm wary of this acquisition in the coming years more than the immediate future. Sure, right now MS seems to be trying to bend over backwards to appeal to as many people as possible and get games out there, but what happens in a few years when MS is in a different place and maybe no longer sees a place for DF?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.. did you follow the broken age production cycle? "Efficient" is not a word I would use.
I mean they seem to have high quality product from the modest budgets they get. I remember broken age development problems but I think it was more on them being new on the crowdfunding (and pretty much everyone at that time)

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tim and his team needed this sadly. I hate to see him on Team Xbox, but if you were a fan and knew anything about Double Fine you'd know being bought out and given a bigger budget is in their favor.

Jan 15, 2018
More than that even. MS was the original publisher for Psychonauts 1 before they dropped it. DF and MS made Iron Brigade/Trenched together, then the two Happy Action Theater "games" for Kinect, and, of course, the Sesame Street game you mentioned.

I'm wary of this acquisition in the coming years more than the immediate future. Sure, right now MS seems to be trying to bend over backwards to appeal to as many people as possible and get games out there, but what happens in a few years when MS is in a different place and maybe no longer sees a place for DF?
Who is to say that ever happens?

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pity we won't see more of their games on PlayStation platforms, but that's life. Psychonauts 2 is still coming to PS4, right?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
MS should give Disney 100 billion for Grim Fandango. Won't make any of it back, but I'd be forever happy knowing there's a chance that something new in the Grim Fandango universe could happen.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't necessarily be my first choice but at least the devs and fans can look forward to a secured future for the studio.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Congrats Tim and the team! Congrats Phil and Xbox, great get. Hopefully there's also still some Lucas Arts remasters to come, though is every game where Tim worked as a lead already been remastered? Might be actually.
MS should give Disney 100 billion for Grim Fandango. Won't make any of it back, but I'd be forever happy knowing there's a chance that something new in the Grim Fandango universe could happen.
Oh man, would love this. Hopefully Tony Plana would be on board too!