• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Cool for them if this helps financially, was never a fan of their stuff but maybe they can make something I'm interested in with a large budget from Microsoft.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ugh I'm actually really disappointed by this since I for one really loved that their games came everywhere and especially picked them up on Mac/Switch/etc.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
300px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg

At least they remastered all of their classics.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
This is the Ninja Theory announcement of last year. Unreal announcement. I'm sad but well done Microsoft. I just wish they'd acquire stuff organically - you know, studios they have a history of working with.
Even Sony did it this way. Seems like a good way..

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel happy that DF managed to find financial security but also kinda sad that they couldn't hack it as an independent developer. From the Broken Age documentary it seemed like they were always teetering on the edge.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Good get, Double Fine are usually always good. They don't own Grim Fandango though right? So I shouldn't get my hopes up of seeing that wonderful world again still.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I wonder what this means for Psychonauts 2?

Hopefully not an Xbox exclusive since it sure wasn't that way when they were getting crowdfunding backers for it.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
One one hand that wasn't my first guess. On the other hand, I feel like it should have been because it feels like it should have been obvious.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Dang. And here all I wanted was a sequel to Grim Fandango.

Good for Tim and the team over there. At least they don't have to constantly worry about their finances sinking them

Clawbvious

Oct 27, 2017
New York
It's great that the studio will have more stability to do what they love, but It's a bummer that in this modern era we can't have large scale independent Video Game studios.

The market trend towards major conglomerates remains concerning.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They are a great studio, glad they will have some more breathing space now

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone link me this part in the Double Fine documentary, where Tim shows of the RIDICULOUS document he got from Microsoft about Psychonauts?

The one that said the game shouldn't have...humor.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Not a fan seeing a giant corporation acquiring an independent studio like DF, but I understand the why.

Even from the Double Fine Documentary, you could tell they were always struggling financially. This was kind of inevitable sadly.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even a game. It was alpha level 'gameplay' and they just abandoned it because DF always struggles with managing money.

At least MS won't put up with that.

I know everything about that game. I bought it myself.

I just find it very silly that people are still holding grudges regarding that.

That "always struggles with money" comment is equally silly.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Well if it helps them stay afloat I can't hate them for it, ms going to throw them some funds and some great games will come of it I'm sure.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
This is good for the stability, but they have tried so hard to stay independent...

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
How will my PS+ account recover? šŸ˜œ

It's great they have a bit a financial security. Everything I've seen about them made it seem like they were always on the verge of bankruptcy.