• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the same issue that the Elite 2 has? I basically had to re learn how to press the buttons on that controller to avoid it missing inputs
I recently bought an elitev2 and have the same problem. Oddly enough its only with the face buttons, through the paddles the command work (even if it is a face button command). I use it on pc through bluetooth that is also problematic, disconnecting midplay sometimes.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I noticed this a lot when playing FIFA also, it was the Y button for me as well. Not so much in other games.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I recently bought an elitev2 and have the same problem. Oddly enough its only with the face buttons, through the paddles the command work (even if it is a face button command). I use it on pc through bluetooth that is also problematic, disconnecting midplay sometimes.
Yeah, I've mainly noticed the issue on the Elite 2 with the A button. I can recreate the issue my self by pressing the button top right and it just doesn't register the press for whatever reason.

Personally I thought it was a hardware problem, so I'm not hopeful of some kind of software fix, but I'd hope I was wrong.

That said they don't even seem to acknowledge there's issues with the Elite 2 controllers. :/

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... wasn't it confirmed iFixit said it's the same parts?

www.ifixit.com

Here’s Why PS5 Joysticks Drift (and Why They’ll Only Get Worse) | iFixit News

Why are the PS5’s joysticks drifting? They use the same fallible hardware as most game controllers. Here’s what’s happening inside, and how we could fix it.

Yessir, but that doesn't explain the Xbox controller issues. Perhaps the tech inside has gotten too complex so more and more parts break, whether or not it's internals from overuse or Bluetooth parts from conflicts.

Anyway, that PS5 controllers used the same parts as the JoyCons is so crazy to me. There's gotta be a better part to use. Or find another manufacturer. Something.

Jun 10, 2018
My biggest problem is on the dash. There are times when buttons just won't do anything and it's incredibly frustrating, but it's the exception and not the rule.
I've had that happen a few times to me on the Series X (coming out of a cold boot). I have to press the Guide/Nexus button to get the controller working again.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I was having issues where in some games it worked perfectly fine, in others the input would randomly drop entirely, in others only the left stick would work and nothing else, in others every button was mapped to a different button

enabling steam input basically fixed the issues (for games on steam). i wonder if my problems were related to this?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I got an XSX a couple days ago and the included controller had a pretty unresponsive/inconsistently responsive D-pad (specifically--down). Is that not included in this investigation?

Kars

Banned
Feb 28, 2021
I use a dualsense with a brook adapter on my Series X because all the Xbox controllers from Xbox one forwards have this problem. Makes using the dashboard a chore and games like RDR2 frustrating.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I just got a new xbox controller a couple weeks ago and use it for my PC and have not yet noticed any issues.

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have an update on this problem? Trying to return one of my Series S|X controllers that I had to send to Microsoft a second time with this issue and the warranty expired a couple weeks ago. ☹️
Had to return this controller model three times already. I returned the controller that came with my Series S twice. Once for busted D-pad and again for an unresponsive Y button + the right trigger spring was 3x stronger than normal. That controller has a year warrenty while my second pad I bought only has 90 days. Between this and the issues I've read about the Elite Controller, seems like Microsoft has really poor quality control. That or I have very bad luck.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I used to just feather on Y with One X controller but I had to adjust to pressing it firmly on XSX.
Always assumed it was the controller itself, though.
So it's a software issue?

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Hey I'm not losing my mind Y started to not register at random times playing state of decay 2 last night definitely an issue

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Is this software or hardware? My SX's A button failures have been pretty routine, but I figured it was just a bad controller.

point decay

Oct 27, 2017
ive been lucky with my series X controller, but the Series 2 Elite has had issues with the A & X buttons missing around 25% of inputs. The only way I found to fix it was to strip it down and add a layer of graphite from a pencil to the button. It works now, but no one should have to go to these lengths

Last edited:

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a teardown of the new controller and its face buttons (Series S|X version on the left, Xbox One on the right)

Timestamp = 14:16

The contacts for the face buttons look like the same design. If it's a hardware issue, my guess is the rubber membrane has some issue that is preventing the circuit from closing. I've also noticed that it works better if you press it firmly but I can still find it unresponsive when testing it with the Xbox Accessories app. Not looking forward to taking apart this controller to replace a membrane that's going to cost me ~$10.

Does anyone use it on iOS or pc and have the same problem there?
It's an issue on Series S and PC for me. I will give it a test on iOS today and report back.

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
Almost everytime i pause for too long i need to remove the batteries and put them back.

My black controller does it and the blue one too.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Good to hear. Had this issue a number of times. Have to take the batteries out then put them back in to wake it up. The controller that came with it seems more reliable than one I bought.

Oct 25, 2017
My series x controller relatively frequently just turns itself off and needs to be turned back on. New batteries. Old batteries. Don't matter. Super annoying.

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
I contacted Microsoft Support for my controller. They mostly told me what I already know (controller out of warranty...you're on your own) but I did get them to comment on the statement they gave about the issue.

Microsoft Support said:
currently our service repair team is checking on the issue and as well since for this one some of them is on the physical and some is on the software side so they may have a solution on both still we can have the controller sent on our end and we will have the controller exchange

1GyCqXR.png

I also tested my gamepad on Stadia and Call of Duty mobile on iOS and it has the same issues.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I contacted Microsoft Support for my controller. They mostly told me what I already know (controller out of warranty...you're on your own) but I did get them to comment on the statement they gave about the issue.

1GyCqXR.png

I also tested my gamepad on Stadia and Call of Duty mobile on iOS and it has the same issues.
What's the warranty period? New controllers haven't even been out a year yet.

Also, I can't believe the number of people with ~$200 Elite's that are accepting that they have to push buttons just-so for it to work.

These seem like big issues, that I've only just heard about.

Has anyone had any issues with the rechargeable batteries for the Series X controller? Mine never charges no matter how long I charge it in the console or directly from a power point and it screams like another massive hardware defect to me.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any issues with the rechargeable batteries for the Series X controller? Mine never charges no matter how long I charge it in the console or directly from a power point and it screams like another massive hardware defect to me.
I don't have that happening to me on my two Series S/X controllers but I do have a special edition Xbox One controller (Sport Blue) that never charged a original Xbox battery, other controllers charge fine, so it could be a similar issue on your end. Since I mainly use AA's I never bothered to have it replaced.

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
What's the warranty period? New controllers haven't even been out a year yet.

Also, I can't believe the number of people with ~$200 Elite's that are accepting that they have to push buttons just-so for it to work.

These seem like big issues, that I've only just heard about.
Standalone controllers only have a 90 day warranty. The controller that comes with the console is 1 year. I was playing a bunch of indie games that never used the Y button so I did not notice it until I played Apex Legends. I don't understand why this and the Elite controller problems are not a bigger deal.

Nov 8, 2017

Apologies if this is a dumb question but you are definitely using the plug and charge kit, not just like random rechargables that you're trying to charge over usb c, yeah?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Standalone controllers only have a 90 day warranty. The controller that comes with the console is 1 year. I was playing a bunch of indie games that never used the Y button so I did not notice it until I played Apex Legends. I don't understand why this and the Elite controller problems are not a bigger deal.
They are a big deal which is why MS extended the warranty to 1 year from 90 days for Elites.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
So I've not been going crazy after all.

My Y button does the same I noticed it in Halo when changing weapons.

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
why doesnt Microsoft just bundle in the elite controller with the series x. seems Iike the best way to compete with the ps5 and the dualsense.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I had issues with the black controller that came with my Series X but since I got rid of that and bought a Pulse Red and the Volt I haven't had issues. Seriously though I've had more issues with Xbox controllers than Playstation. Even my Elite 2 fucked up.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
By the way, I haven't noticed any low-battery notifications before my controller batteries (eneloops) die for a long time. Was this functionality removed in an update?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
By the way, I haven't noticed any low-battery notifications before my controller batteries (eneloops) die for a long time. Was this functionality removed in an update?

I use eneloops and get low battery notices still.

If yours is shutting off without warning, I theorize that it alternatively may be caused by ongoing sync/desync issues. I have had a controller in the past that would randomly power off and desync from my Xbox console, though that was on the Xbox One family and not Xbox Series.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I use eneloops and get low battery notices still.

If yours is shutting off without warning, I theorize that it alternatively may be caused by ongoing sync/desync issues. I have had a controller in the past that would randomly power off and desync from my Xbox console, though that was on the Xbox One family and not Xbox Series.
That makes sense. I hope this gets addressed. I hate it when my controller dies without warning. It happened once when I was playing a match in Knockout City. I don't normally play multi-player, but it's a real bummer when your controller's battery just dies without warning during a match, as it affects your team, as well.