• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
If you mean "Games which are [streaming exclusive] to XCloud", that's silly but unsurprising.

If you mean "Games which are [entirely exclusive] to XCloud and can't be played locally" that's just completely awful. Like another big step towards the permanent dissolution of ownership.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
But all next gen games will be "streamable" on both PS5 and Xbox. It would be like buying physical or digital media exclusivity
I dont understand what you're saying. Adding quotations around a word doesn't change my comment or add to yours?

Sony hasnt said anything about doing what Stadia and xCloud are. PSNow currently only offers older titles. You think you're going to be able to play Spiderman 2 without owning a PS5 at launch?

Microsoft is probably trying to get exclusive streaming rights for specific games. Imagine if Call of Duty is only on xCloud, instead of its streaming competitors, but you can still buy the physical/digital copy on PS5 and PC.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
You really have to have your head in the sand to ignore the fact that streaming is the future the industry has chosen for you.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised if they did this, unless they tailor experiences that really only make sense with streaming in mind, eg. interactive game shows where you'd have to be on the Internet and streaming the content to play either way.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This does not make any sense to me.

I don't need to stream Crackdown 3 to play the online that utilizes the cloud. I install that and play it locally.

That's why it's not really revolutionary as they had promised in the first place. Look up elastic cloud compute and its possibilities.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I dont understand what you're saying. Adding quotations around a word doesn't change my comment or add to yours?

Sony hasnt said anything about doing what Stadia and xCloud are. PSNow currently only offers older titles. You think you're going to be able to play Spiderman 2 without owning a PS5 at launch?

Microsoft is probably trying to get exclusive streaming rights for specific games. Imagine if Call of Duty is only on xCloud, instead of its streaming competitors, but you can still buy the physical/digital copy on PS5 and PC.

Yes, Jim Ryan said in a investors meeting that every PS5 game will be streamable: https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-streaming/

Most notably, Ryan's presentation confirms that streaming will sit hand-in-hand with physical discs and digital downloads as a way for PS5 owners to experience their games, outlining a vision for "a massively enhanced PlayStation community where enriched and shared PlayStation experiences can be seamlessly enjoyed independent of time and place – with or without a console."

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like the stuff Stadia was dreaming about in their announcement conference.

1000 player battle royale or a game that requires multiple server blades to run. Something that isn't just streaming the same offline experience we are used to.

But just like Stadia, until they actually show what that game looks like it's tough to imagine it.

Once xCloud switches to using Scarlett, I can sort of imagine it doing these kind of games.

efr

Banned
Jun 19, 2019

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I will say this, at face value, I am against cloud streaming exclusive games.

The only way this would be of interest to me, is if games get made that require a lot more GPU power/performance than what a Scarlett console can do. If say a XGS game or 3rd party game needs to use several instances of Scarlett SoCs in order for someone's vision of a game to be realized.

I mean the same sort of thing that Google showed using multiple Stadia GPU instances/server blades.

Games that could not even be done on a single high-end PC.

That might be enticing but I would expect that to happen for years.

Other than maybe that, I don't think anyone wants to see cloud exclusive games.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, Jim Ryan said in a investors meeting that every PS5 game will be streamable: https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-streaming/

That's very different to what Choudhry said.

It's the difference between 'all games will be streamable' and 'these particular games will only be playable via streaming'.

(Side note: it's also a slightly inaccurate read on what Ryan said - he did not explicitly confirm all games will be streamable via the cloud. Everything Sony outlined at their investor day would be compatible with a future where some games are, or all games are - it's left nebulous.)

Sony might in the future work on streaming-only games, but they haven't as yet indicated that.

efr

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Jim Ryan said he would acquire studios and improve PS Now right before Insomniac and the price cut. But we'll see soon enough.
I like PSNow, it works great for me(data cap excluded). But they aren't putting new games on it and haven't over the past 5 years its available. I hope I'm wrong, God of War showing up 18 months after release is kind of a good sign, I guess?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I will say this, at face value, I am against cloud streaming exclusive games.

The only way this would be of interest to me, is if games get made that require a lot more GPU power/performance than what a Scarlett console can do. If say a XGS game or 3rd party game needs to use several instances of Scarlett SoCs in order for someone's vision of a game to be realized.

I mean the same sort of thing that Google showed using multiple Stadia GPU instances.

Games that could even be done on a single high-end PC.

The thing is, in those cases Google showed, the core game absolutely could. Everything they showed so far could gracefully degrade - distributed particle systems and non-gameplay affecting physics. And economically it also makes sense for them to support graceful degradation back to one unit - so they can distribute capacity in high demand scenarios, or offer cheaper options to play the game.

Stuff like that could be potentially done in hybrid local/cloud games where you can still play locally and without the cloud, but get 'extra' fidelity plugging into cloud resources.

If they start getting into gameplay-affecting distributed processing it would be a little different - but that will be tough to do in a distributed context.

I think the bigger motivation for cloud-only stuff might be in the networking between players. But as local networking improves even that might erode.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I like PSNow, it works great for me(data cap excluded). But they aren't putting new games on it and haven't over the past 5 years its available. I hope I'm wrong, God of War showing up 18 months after release is kind of a good sign, I guess?
What do you mean they aren't? They add new games every month, even GTAV is on it now which is crazy.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Not sure I like the idea of xCloud exclusives. I am fine with it being Xbox exclusive (xCloud, Xbox and PC) as that give me the option of playing where and how I want (i.e. offline or locally without using my bandwidth).

I hope what they mean is they are in talks with studios to make Xbox (platform) exclusives that launch on xCloud on the same date as the local console and PC versions.

Alive2007

Aug 21, 2019
I'm sure they will have gimped offline versions of games like MSFS when it makes sense but why would anyone want a local version of a cloud dependent game like 1000 player BR?

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I'd imagine that certain streaming platforms will have multiplatform games and that to entice players to use their platform, there has to be exclusives to that platform in order to differentiate their value proposition. Not really sure how different that is to normal hardware-based exclusives, though. I suppose, however, if you're on a neutral smartphone platform you get to choose between them all and there has to be some kind of carrot.

efr

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
What do you mean they aren't? They add new games every month, even GTAV is on it now which is crazy.
NEW. Like it just came out and is available. Death Stranding just came out, its not on PSNow. Gears 5 is relatively new and is in the xCloud beta already.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's very different to what Choudhry said.

It's the difference between 'all games will be streamable' and 'these particular games will only be playable via streaming'.

(Side note: it's also a slightly inaccurate read on what Ryan said - he did not explicitly confirm all games will be streamable via the cloud. Everything Sony outlined at their investor day would be compatible with a future where some games are, or all games are - it's left nebulous.)

Sony might in the future work on streaming-only games, but they haven't as yet indicated that.

True.

I really hope there isn't streaming only games.

They should start bringing it to more countries, mine isn't supported yet lol

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Microsoft is "in talks" with first- and third-party studios to create and release Project xCloud exclusive games.

Hmm...

"My strategy is more around our own first-party franchises, and investing in franchises that we own. I want to have strong third-party relations, but paying for many third-party exclusives isn't our long-term strategy," said Spencer.

"It's business," he said, adding he couldn't speak too candidly about the matter. "As I've grow in this role, and I've tried to learn the third-party exclusivity thing - and you see us doing less of it now - [I've found] it's not something I'm a huge fan of."

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The thing is, in those cases Google showed, the core game absolutely could. Everything they showed so far could gracefully degrade - distributed particle systems and non-gameplay affecting physics. And economically it also makes sense for them to support graceful degradation back to one unit - so they can distribute capacity in high demand scenarios, or offer cheaper options to play the game.

Stuff like that could be potentially done in hybrid local/cloud games where you can still play locally and without the cloud, but get 'extra' fidelity plugging into cloud resources.

If they start getting into gameplay-affecting distributed processing it would be a little different - but that will be tough to do in a distributed context.

I think the bigger motivation for cloud-only stuff might be in the networking between players. But as local networking improves even that might erode.

100% agree with all of those things, gofreak, well said.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think the better use for xcloud is whenever you put in/buy a digital game that isn't installed on the system, the system will start to download/install that game, and meanwhile allow you to play it streamed in the meantime. I think this sort of use should happen without even being prompted about it, it would make a great deal of sense if you could just play any game right away without the messy stuff we've been dealing with since the PS3, and it would then switch over to local content whenever the install is complete.

...ok, no. The *main* thing I like about xCloud is that it doesn't take anything away from preservation efforts, since it just exists as a supplement to traditional Xbox stuff. Having "streaming only" content throws all of that out the window, and honestly, I want nothing to do with it.
I could see it for MMO style games, but doesn't make sense for much else.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
He's obviously talking about Xbox exclusives, not xCloud specific exclusives. The whole strategy of Xbox going forward is having the same content across their ecosystem - especially on Game Pass - on PC/Xbox/xCloud. We know this.

Note that in that sentence, "Project xCloud" is in brackets, so it is their shorthand interpretation of what he meant and not the words he used.

Phil has repeatedly said that they want to give customers more choices in terms of where you play their games, not less. Hence games coming to Steam too.
GTAV PS4 port is 5 years old - it's obvious the poster is talking about actual new games, not just games that are new to the service.

Last edited:

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Unless they are talking about an experience that can't be done on local hardware this is boneheaded. This is so dumb if it's a conventional game that just happens to be exclusive.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'm not sure why anyone thinks they're looking for xCloud exclusives when they've got Gamepass as a platform to stuff with games.
They didn't go to all that effort and expense to purchase studios for their Gamepass content pipeline just to keep games away on a niche service.

I expect Stevivor took a comment about xbox exclusives and assumed it was in reference to xCloud.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
...ok, no. The *main* thing I like about xCloud is that it doesn't take anything away from preservation efforts, since it just exists as a supplement to traditional Xbox stuff. Having "streaming only" content throws all of that out the window, and honestly, I want nothing to do with it.
We are starting to hear that Amazon will also release a streaming service. The list start to be pretty big and we will see a lots of exclusivity. We saw that with the battle of movie / series streaming, but if I want to watch it, I will always have the possibility to buy it on physical media (with rare exception).
Contrary to what most people think, competition isn't always good for consumers.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
We are starting to hear that Amazon will also release a streaming service. The list start to be pretty big and we will see a lots of exclusivity. We saw that with the battle of movie / series streaming, but if I want to watch it, I will always have the possibility to buy it on physical media (with rare exception).
Contrary to what most people think, competition isn't always good for consumers.
See Gylt/Orcs Must Die 3 (albeit the last one is temporary).

Exclusivity is most definitely going to be used a lot.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
How many upvotes will gain the mandatory post on reddit before a Microsoft spokesperson will clarify that xCloud won't have exclusive games?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Could be something like the NES/SNES offer that Nintendo uses to value their online service, or just to have more supported game.

Even the Sony Remote Play requires a certification, for what I know, related to controller used by the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Under the bed

While I can understand the reticence, what if the exclusive games for xCloud are digital only, always online, games that somehow benefit from the service.The two easy examples that jump to mind for me are an MMO or something like 1v100. Admittedly, it doesn't make sense to make that xCloud exclusive, but maybe there was some sort of miscommunication in the interview and what was meant was something along the lines that games are being built with xCloud specifically in mind and as a focus.

Just a thought.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds awful to me initially but if it's used specifically for multiplayer only experiences then I guess it's a huge deal

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So even if I buy the xbox, I might still miss out on some of their exclusives? Talk about slapping your supporters.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Why do that when first party content is already exclusive to XCloud and won't be on other streaming services? excluding Xbox too sounds like a needless move. The cloud should complement their own consoles as another choice, not fight it for content.
Yup.

Their first party games are already exclusive.

I do remember some saying that's what Sony could do to bolster PSNow. But for a few select games.

I would hope if MS does this it's a few select games....need to have that download option, MS.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah no thanks for me, I'm not happy about a streaming future as it is.
Losing games to it would be even more horrible.

Why would you be losing any games? They are getting commissioned for x-cloud and wouldn't be made otherwise. It's not like x-cloud is money-hatting things that would have come out anyway.

Your wider concern is a subjective view but totally reasonable.

But x-cloud/Gamepass are the main products, going forward.

X-box will be just one delivery tool for those products.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i´ve said it before, next gen will be the "only on xy stream service" gen. it will be the same as they do with film series at the moment "an prime original" "an netflix original" "an xy original"

they all will produce exclusive games for their services...