• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Microsoft has also added new APIs to the Xbox SDK to make it easier to develop games intended for streaming.

Microsoft is "in talks" with first- and third-party studios to create and release Project xCloud exclusive games.

Microsoft's Kareem Choudhry made the confirmation at X019 in London as part of a group interview with Australian outlets, stressing that there weren't any title-specific announcements to make at this time.

"In terms of [Project xCloud] exclusives, we're in early talks with first- and third- parties, but we don't have any announcements to share," Choudhry asserted. "New content and IP takes eighteen months to two years [to develop]."

Choudry stressed that "the first thing that we're doing is… just lifting and shifting content that doesn't require any development changes into the cloud. So right away we've got a platform that can run any of the 3000 games you can run on Xbox today."

That said, Choudhry said that specific APIs have been added to the Xbox SDK to let a game "know at runtime [if it is] being streamed or not."

More at the link: https://stevivor.com/news/xcloud-exclusive-games/

So this seems to have been announced back at XO (though the article was posted today) but I haven't seen a thread about this. Figured the prospect of games exclusive to xCloud was interesting enough to warrant its own discussion. What do you make of this? Something worth getting excited about? Lamenting the loss of "traditional games" to another cloud service? Sound off.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
...ok, no. The *main* thing I like about xCloud is that it doesn't take anything away from preservation efforts, since it just exists as a supplement to traditional Xbox stuff. Having "streaming only" content throws all of that out the window, and honestly, I want nothing to do with it.

Feb 26, 2018
I dont think they gonna make exclusive games for xcloud. It goes against all that stuff about "options" they talked about before.
But again xbox doing 180 on something will not be surprising lmao

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Why do that when first party content is already exclusive to XCloud and won't be on other streaming services? excluding Xbox too sounds like a needless move. The cloud should complement their own consoles as another choice, not fight it for content.

Feb 10, 2018
It sounds like games with tweaks made to them to make them run better with streaming rather then games only being available on Xcloud, the only games that I think will be exclusive to Xcloud is something 1 vs 100 or somthing that uses the advantages of cloud streaming.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds monumentally stupid.

What makes more sense is utilizing cloud features to base whole games off of, like Crackdown 3's multiplayer.

Or like, any online game with servers. Online only games aren't new but streaming-only games sounds pretty shit.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
It looks like the launch of Stadia, as rocky and derided by internet commentators as it was, has put a firecracker up the arses of companies in the streaming market.

The streaming wars have begun, and things are getting interesting.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
But why

The main selling point is being able to stream your Xbox library

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox exclusives should be enough for them. Though it's only natural for them to at least investigate this angle.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
...ok, no. The *main* thing I like about xCloud is that it doesn't take anything away from preservation efforts, since it just exists as a supplement to traditional Xbox stuff. Having "streaming only" content throws all of that out the window, and honestly, I want nothing to do with it.

One and done.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Not like this Phil. Not the whole "powered by the (X)Cloud" business again...

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah no thanks for me, I'm not happy about a streaming future as it is.
Losing games to it would be even more horrible.

elio

alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Obviously they're talking about games that can make specific use of the cloud based architecture.

This isn't going to be exclusive single player games.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Xcloud exclusives could mean simply - only place to stream this game is xcloud...

Rather than only way to play this game is xcloud....

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so this goes against everything they've said previously. I'm hoping something got lost in translation because anecdotally, XCloud "exclusives" is going to make a few hardcore XBOX gamers I know unhappy.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Scarlet and Xcloud? Yes. Xcloud only? Not until you can justify it. It would have to be something not possible on Scarlet and not just promises like what Crackdown 3 was supposed to be.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Probably exclusivity like when Netflix signs a 200mil deal for Seinfeld. Game cant be on psnow or stadia.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Xcloud exclusives could mean simply - only place to stream this game is xcloud...

Rather than only way to play this game is xcloud....

I thought that too, but it makes no sense to talk about 1st party in that context. Obviously 1st party games will be exclusive to xCloud, so I'm not sure what they have to be 'in talks' with first parties about on that front.

I think I would like to see MS (and Sony and any other existing console platform holder) dabble with hybrid games first, before talking about cloud exclusives. Figure out what can be done in a hybrid context to see if there's really much to be gained from a cloud exclusive runtime context. Then, maybe, if there is a lot to be gained, think about cloud exclusives. Jumping to cloud exclusives will be dicey PR wise.

I kind of expect a 'Phil Spencer correction' in 3...2...1...

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
tenor.gif

This would be the dumbest shit ever.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
That would be an extremely dumb decision for a company that has two other platforms (Xbox, Windows).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Not really as they also said "First Party" and wouldn't all First Party Titles be XCloud Exclusive anyway?
That is what I think too, which is pretty disappointing if true, the idea of game streaming should be to expand your audience, not to force them this one way to play. Especially when streaming can be unreliable to many people as opposed to local hardware that unless there are faults in the hardware itself should perform the same for everyone.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Why though? If it's running on Xboxes anyway, why make it xcloud exclusive for the sake of it.
Hope it doesn't happen.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's hard to imagine a game being exclusive because it's not possible on an Xbox, but it's easy to imagine a game with an exclusivity agreement for another platform , which doesn't cover streaming services.

Just you wait , the Term "exclusive" will become even more convoluted and pointless.

"Local hardware console exclusive"

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really as they also said "First Party" and wouldn't all First Party Titles be XCloud Exclusive anyway?

Uh, no?

Unless you're only speaking in terms of "streaming platforms", in which case a first party MS game would be "exclusive to the Xcloud platform"

But Halo Infinite won't be XCloud Exclusive - It's PC and Xbox. You don't have to stream it to play it.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That is what I think too, which is pretty disappointing if true, the idea of game streaming should be to expand your audience, not to force them this one way to play. Especially when streaming can be unreliable to many people as opposed to local hardware that unless there are faults in the hardware itself should perform the same for everyone.

I think there's interesting technological possibilities...maybe...

...but...

... it is monumentally dumb to start publicly talking about this at the start of a new gen, and just one gen on from when the prospect of online-only, online-drm-ed, and non-owned games almost sank the brand. I know this isn't the same thing but to even dip the toe in territory that carries the same whiff is... not well advised, I don't think.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Uh, no?

Unless you're only speaking in terms of "streaming platforms", in which case a first party MS game would be "exclusive to the Xcloud platform"

But Halo Infinite won't be XCloud Exclusive - It's PC and Xbox. You don't have to stream it to play it.
That is what they meant, the only way this could be interpreted as is "only playable on xcloud" because of the mention of first party games, as they would obviously be only streamed via xcloud, so no reason to be "in talks with".

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
Well, if this is the future of gaming, and since it is possible that Sony follows the trend, I guess I will become a Nintendo gamer. If they continue doing their own thing like they are doing now.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is what they meant, the only way this could be interpreted as is "only playable on xcloud" because of the mention of first party games, as they would obviously be only streamed via xcloud, so no reason to be "in talks with".

I understand that - I'm responding to the question "Aren't all first party games XCloud exclusives"?

Which, no, they wouldn't be.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is this the start of MS endgame where they get people into there streaming subscription services?

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't even understand this.

What advantage does xCloud have over traditional console brick that developers can use ? Even with both of these things combined have we seen anything since 2013 that could instil confidence in cloud computing or whatever.

What they might gain in features is certainly less important to gamers than higher resolution and snappy gameplay.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Eh...i know many folk will overreact to this news but I'll choose not. I think it'll be smaller stuff made for the go.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This sounds monumentally stupid.

What makes more sense is utilizing cloud features to base whole games off of, like Crackdown 3's multiplayer.

Or like, any online game with servers. Online only games aren't new but streaming-only games sounds pretty shit.

Exactly. In order to do that, though, they have to make the games cloud exclusives in the first place.