• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Data caps for home internet are illegal in Europe. I can understand the concern for people in North America, but here in Europe we have very fast speeds at ridiculous prices
Okay.

For instance, I pay 11€ for unlimited calls and 3 gigabytes of 4G internet on my phone.

Wait wut? That's a cap.

That being said, I'd say that anyone living in a fairly urban area with modern internet is pretty ready. It's everyone else that's going to be left in the dust if Telcoms don't get their shit together.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
MS already has a lot of the pieces in place for a seamless transition:

- Saved games are almost instantly uploaded in the cloud and are downloaded by the game on Xbox or PC, which means you could jump to streaming and pick up a game you were just playing on console or PC.
- The account system tracks purchases on any device, meaning you should just have your full digital library there.
- Game Pass is there for the "Netflix"-style subscription library for those that want a revolving game list

I'm excited, I travel a lot and would love to just bring along a controller to play my games in the hotel (beats watching the Movie of the Week 4 times on HBO).

Hope you are staying in a place with decent 4G, because hotel Wifi tends to be terrible, haha.

Okay.

Wait wut? That's a cap.

A cap on a mobile plan, for 4G. ;)

Fiber, cable, DSL, etc. are unlimited.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I like this idea but don't you think Nintendo would see it as competion for their own eshop store and games?

Yes I would, but if you rold me Nintendo would be okay with linking their infrastructure to XBL over a year ago (signing into XBL in Minecraft) I wouldn't believe it.

Nintendo could still sell hardware and their own games (not everything will be on the streaming service either) at their own leisure.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
No they as all the others will become service providers ...but without the property hardware and the closed garden it give ..leave Sony with not a lot of weapons against other bigger software and tech players
In a future is likely Sony will have to release their games on a storefront on windows (Ms platform) and the "exclusives drive the Industry" shit will end one time for all

Well honestly, if Sony and NIntendo didn't have stellar catelogs you would be right. But that's what is the elephant in the room. Xbox's brand has been on the decline most of this gen. With the last year or so them turning some things around on the backend. But still have issues with software that until we see their new projects are not helping this initiative of streaming. Them making a big deal about streaming/cloud feels reactionary to how this gen has played out for them.

People are not as jazzed in buying xbox over Playstation/Nintendo, and they even tried with PC. So their thinking is it's locking their content to a specific box is their problem, so they tried playanywhere and gamepass.

Now streaming they think will bring more people into the fray for users. But what will the majority of people who have a good low latency connection going to be playing?

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
This is a smart move for Microsoft since they have the public cloud infrastructure. Remember they are selling their services not just to consumers, but also to the gaming development/publishing world. Having built in streaming service hooks that come with your console's SDK is a big feature.

The one confusing thing for me is the special Xbox blades they designed. Why do they even need those when the architecture is pretty much a standard PC?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What's with all the Sony is doomed posts? At least wait to see how the service is and if people actually care about it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
The weirdest thing in that annoncement is that Xbox motherboard hosting. Geforce Now or Shadow are interesting to have the power of a 1080Ti in any device able to recieve the stream. Here it means you will be limited by the console performances, like Sony using PS3 for the PSNow.

And not the most efficient cost/energy strategy compared to use a streamed Windows build of your game : neither Capcom nor Ubisoft needed xCloud to stream RE7 and AC Odissey to Switch Japan owners. And I don't think Nintendo has commercially and technically intervened.

Yes, this is absolutely baffling. I guess the XOne gaming OS is nowhere near as "abstract system running in a VM" as people imagined, for now.

It's also kind of weird everyone banging on about "their Azure makes for a huge competitive advantage!"... It might, if they were using it. This plan sounds like adding racks of x1s next to the Azure boxes, pretty much.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Curious how they're going to "combat latency through advances in networking topology." Latency is going to be entirely dependent on how far you are from the nearest Azure datacenter.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I would, but if you rold me Nintendo would be okay with linking their infrastructure to XBL over a year ago (signing into XBL in Minecraft) I wouldn't believe it.

Nintendo could still sell hardware and their own games (not everything will be on the streaming service either) at their own leisure.
Cross play is compelely different though than having 2 stores

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
A cap on a mobile plan, for 4G. ;)

Fiber, cable, DSL, etc. are unlimited.

Cap on mobile internet, not home.

Well yes, but a big part of this initiative is the ability to use any device anywhere. That's something everyone is going to think about, because if you used any streaming gaming service on your phone with mobile data, you'd use your monthly allocation in a day. Like, to get the most out of this stuff, the big 5 are going to have to lobby against ALL data caps, not just home internet.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes, this is absolutely baffling. I guess the XOne gaming OS is nowhere near as "abstract system running in a VM" as people imagined, for now.

If they used different parts I guess they'd only be able to run Play Anywhere games. All the other titles are optimized for the Xbox hardware. Emulating that could be a task on itself.

Well yes, but a big part of this initiative is the ability to use any device anywhere. That's something everyone is going to think about, because if you used any streaming gaming service on your phone with mobile data, you'd use your monthly allocation in a day.

Luckily there are plenty of unlimited data plans for 4G too. I got one from T-Mobile for €35 per month (including Netflix, excluding a phone)

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I can't wait to see what sets this apart from other streaming services in execution. PS Now just wasn't quite consistent enough from my experience but simply being supported by a wide variety of platforms gives xCloud a significant edge.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I mean there is a market for it, not saying there isn't. It's just that it's super small, and until other parts of the world are more developed internet wise, and closer to MS's data centers if you looked at the map, I just don't see this being the future of gaming yet. The tech is there, but other countries are not there yet to receive that. So again it will be something that is an option for people who live in the states, UK, some parts of Europe, Japan is a big one, but for overseas in middle east, people will have boxes.

So basically something that covers 90% of the gaming market is a 'small market'? Because the US, UK, Western Europe and Japan pretty much covers the lions share.

Someone posted earlier that there are two data centers in the works for Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

However, I don't argue with you that the main home console will still be the big draw for the next gen.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Cross play is compelely different though than having 2 stores

Still.

Some games are currently not available on Switch because of limitations or publishers lack of intrest in ports.

Now if this launched on Switch then they would get access to a lot of AAA games through MS making their portable option more attractive (instead of competing with smartphones that can now run Halo, Destiny, Madden etc.).

v1ta

Oct 28, 2017
Here in Italy we have already from more than a decade unlimited data on dsl, fiber and wimax.....and this month Telecom launched the first offer of unlimited 4g......with unlimited 5g streaming could be the megaton of the century
Probably the countries with lot of data cap aren't their main target

Well the U.S. is their best market by a lot, once you leave the coasts internet speeds go down the gutter.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
This is a smart move for Microsoft since they have the public cloud infrastructure. Remember they are selling their services not just to consumers, but also to the gaming development/publishing world. Having built in streaming service hooks that come with your console's SDK is a big feature.

The one confusing thing for me is the special Xbox blades they designed. Why do they even need those when the architecture is pretty much a standard PC?

Compatibility more than likely. Remember people will still have consoles, and if your laying forza or something like that online you will be laying against people with consoles. If it ran on PC servers, possibility people streaming would have maybe a better experience. Also probably cheaper to have a server that can house multiple xbox's running different games.

Nov 12, 2017
What's with all the Sony is doomed posts? At least wait to see how the service is and if people actually care about it.
I'm not even thinking Sony is doomed (because is not) but in 10/15 years when gaming will be hardware agnostic we will gonna choose the best infrastructure and the platform who give us best services ..and I'm not really seeing Sony and Nintendo (even less than sony) in the same game as Ms / Google Amazon.
The time of walled garden is slowly endind and there are companies (investing billions) that are already setting up for the new playground
We will probably be happy to play Sony exclusives streamed through Ms/Google/amazon infrastructure

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well yes, but a big part of this initiative is the ability to use any device anywhere. That's something everyone is going to think about, because if you used any streaming gaming service on your phone with mobile data, you'd use your monthly allocation in a day.

True. Unlimited data for phones is getting more common against fair prices (25€/month for unlimited data and calls in the Netherlands). By the time the service launches it could be cheaper.

I do agree with you though. Cloud gaming on the go is a niche for people with unlimited data.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its not something that i can actually use but its a good idea.

I don't see it being a major success though.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be interested to see what latency is like, although for mobile here it would surely depend on your provider as well as proximity to Azure. For the former, it's still pretty ropey in the UK unless you're in a city. Can't see me streaming Forza on my phone with H or 3G.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Well yes, but a big part of this initiative is the ability to use any device anywhere. That's something everyone is going to think about, because if you used any streaming gaming service on your phone with mobile data, you'd use your monthly allocation in a day. Like, to get the most out of this stuff, the big 5 are going to have to lobby against ALL data caps, not just home internet.
This is where 5G comes in, which delivers massive amounts of capacity for little additional cost vs 4G deployment. Data caps will definitely not stay as they are.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I will always game primarily on dedicated hardware because I consider myself a relatively hardcore gamer, but man if Microsoft isn't killing it with the consumer options with their platform and service offerings. I absolutely would see myself playing certain games at least through the streaming option when away from my 4K TV at home, and their bigger play of course is to reach additional customers with such an option. All of that just adds revenue so that they can continue to provide us as gamers with cool things like new first party content by adding additional studios like they are doing. I am not saying that Sony is going to be in major trouble next generation or anything, but Microsoft is way too big of a company with the right tech infrastructure for them to compete at the same level on some of where gaming in general looks to be heading in the next 10 years.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not? In Japan, they already allow users to stream Resident Evil 7 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
Ubi and Capcom are already 3rd party devs making games for the Switch. Huge difference from what would be seen as a big advertisement for Microsoft and Xbox. Honestly, the idea that this could happen is so absurd I don't know why anybody would entertain this.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still.

Some games are currently not available on Switch because of limitations or publishers lack of intrest in ports.

Now if this launched on Switch then they would get access to a lot of AAA games through MS making their portable option more attractive (instead of competing with smartphones that can now run Halo, Destiny, Madden etc.).
I would see nvidia releasing cloud games for switch with GeForce now before Microsoft, since nvidia and Nintendo have the decades long partnership or whatever

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not even thinking Sony is doomed (because is not) but in 10/15 years when gaming will be hardware agnostic we will gonna choose the best infrastructure and the platform who give us best services ..and I'm not really seeing Sony and Nintendo (even less than sony) in the same game as Ms / Google Amazon.
The time of walled garden is slowly endind and there are companies (investing billions) that are already setting up for the new playground
We will probably be happy to play Sony exclusives streamed through Ms/Google/amazon infrastructure
Again, wait to actually see how the service is and if ther is appeal for the mass market, it's just baseless speculation about the future at this point.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

I don't believe that at all. Console gaming is slowly becoming like PC more than anything and things like steam link, steam OS did not light the world on fire. I think you just will have more options for how you want to game, but ultimately having a console/PC will still be the way to go.

If records for game sales weren't being broken I would say you are right more than you are wrong. But the consumers have spoken and dedicated gaming hardware isn't going anywhere nor is streaming goingto replace it.

I feel Gamepass is more of the future, and being locked into a service will be determined for what each will offer. Nintendo isn't going to all of a sudden streaming mario kart when they are breaking records and after a year from release still charting on NPD.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Just checked the 4G coverage. With an average speed of ~75Mbit this should work on 4G in The Netherlands

DL2X8XC.png

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
No they as all the others will become service providers ...but without the property hardware and the closed garden it give ..leave Sony with not a lot of weapons against other bigger software and tech players
In a future is very, very likely that Sony (as Nintendo) will have to release their games on a storefront on windows (Ms platform) Android ..or iOS (with streaming too) and the "exclusives drive the Industry" shit will end one time for all
Hahaha yes. We'll also have cornea implants with 32K+ resolution per eye running over 10,000fps+perfect foveated rendering for VR/AR and we'll consume video game entertainment in different forms. But both you and I might be looong dead before that future so save your hypotheticals.

Obviously that's worse case scenario and IMO it won't happen, but what I'm trying to say is Sony/PlayStation is not just going to disappear because cloud gaming exists.
I know. I was agreeing with your sentiments hence the /s.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This will 100% be advertised with the next Samsung Galaxy Phone and the next set of Samsung TVs.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
HD video is about 7MB/s. Games with proper graphics and control input will be something else.

Why do people keep saying this? A video feed is a video feed is a video feed. Controller input data isn't going to take up a bunch of data, neither will "proper graphics." It's a video signal.

There will definitely be data differences between 30fps experiences and 60 though.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
HD video is about 7MB/s. Games with proper graphics and control input will be something else.
Video is still video whether it's a game or a movie (though 7mbps probably won't give great IQ but maybe good enough for a phone). UL speed requirements for transmitting input information are likely to be small I think. The main concern as had been said is jitter and latency.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Reading the last few pages has been funny. Reading the entire thread has been basically. This topic usually is.

I remember this same type of thing when Windows Phone launched.

On one hand yeah, the company already doing it can get replaced (smartphone market) but that usually happens when current company changes too late or doesn't at all. Or under estimates the competition (Ballmer literally laughing about the iPhone)

Sony adding downloads to PSNow should tell ppl they aren't just sitting back twiddling their thumbs.

I hope MS does improve the latency issue with hardware. If so, there's a chance Sony might do another handheld with that type tech in it.

Jun 7, 2018
In theory, something like this could allow me to stream Scarlett games on an Xbox 360. I doubt that will happen, but this is a smart move.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It always felt to me like a great cost/benefit situation, but perhaps that could be because I live in a country where most smartphones get heavily taxed and Sony's phones mostly avoid that somehow. LG and Samsung are the bigger brands here, but their phones are garbage (especially Samsung with its terrible software), so I would never buy a Samsung or an LG over an Xperia. Xiaomi is not an easy to find brand around here either, but I'm willing to bet that the screen on a phone as cheap as this doesn't have HDR at all, nor is the phone capable of 960FPS recording, so if you really think they're the same due to the chipset, you should get some more information.

Edit: the Xiaomi is a plastic phone, too, so that definitely makes it cheaper. Also, I've never purchased mid-range Xperias, those do seem to be a bit iffy.

Only Pocophone is plastic (one phone out of dozens all alluminum or glass), and it is like that for a reason (its price), they do have the Mi8 as a flagship with the amoled display, 7000 series alluminum body,... and it costs $350-400, while the Xperia XZ3 is $800-900. Or take Oneplus, or again Nokia, or Huawei... there are a lot of great options often cheaper than Sony phones.

Maybe in your country the most popular brands aren't still there, so yes in your very specific case Xperia could still make sense (especially if you are a video person), for the rest of the world things are going differently, because yes while Sony phones still make some of the best videos, or maybe they have the best display (debatable) for most people that feature alone is not worth the price when other flagships with similar specs have far better design, performance, battery life, software... IDC reports proves that Sony is almost irrelevant in the smartphone business nowadays, they are not in the top 5 or top 10 smartphone manufacturers.

For me personally i can't consider their phone simply because 1cm of thickness and 193g of weight is waay too much for a flagship in 2018, plus despite the heaviness the battery capacity is only 3300 mah.

/OT

Window

Oct 27, 2017
In theory.

But never underestimate the greed of the modern telcom.
I don't know about the US but where I am revenue per user has barely gone up while data consumption has skyrocketed. All technological efficiency savings were passed on to users and my understanding is that the same is true for most of the world. I see no reason why 5G would be any different.