• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
So long term whats the idea with this? That Game pass won't need a console and you can just connect a controller and use an app on your tv?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I got my unlimited LTE data plan ready. But it's probably US first, because well.. it's Microsoft.

Playing Sea of Thieves while waiting for the bus, here we go.

Oct 27, 2017
Are y'all still laughing and making cloud jokes? Because this looks legit to me.

It has more to do with the phraselogy of it. Dating back to 2013 Xbox conference. Remote game streaming has been available for years so this isn't new. Latency and picture quality will still be as good as the distance you are from a server, the quality of your isp, and the router in your home. You are still looking at probably 2-4 frames delayed best case scenario with varying quality.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So long term whats the idea with this? That Game pass won't need a console and you can just connect a controller and use an app on your tv?
I think the long-term plan is to have your Xbox digital library mirrored in the cloud, so you can play your games anywhere. Not just Game Pass games. I predict the execution will be quite different to PS Now in that regard.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Would feel more confident if all (or most) of that footage wasn't placeholder. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that they did it in post instead of a live demo of it in action.

Edit: Looking back, it might be genuine, but the cuts are rather quick and I'm on mobile.
Well...we will have a public trials next year so the wait won't be long.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
About latency and the network requirements:

Developers and researchers at Microsoft Research are creating ways to combat latency through advances in networking topology, and video encoding and decoding. Project xCloud will have the capability to make game streaming possible on 4G networks and will dynamically scale to push against the outer limits of what's possible on 5G networks as they roll out globally. Currently, the test experience is running at 10 megabits per second. Our goal is to deliver high-quality experiences at the lowest possible bitrate that work across the widest possible networks, taking into consideration the uniqueness of every device and network.

Protmind

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see how this works in the real world. 4k60 is over 15Gbps. That's for video alone. Forget audio, controller throughput, lag considerations, etc. I live in a city of millions and the best I can do (affordably) is about 55Mbps down about 5Mbps up. The best case is video games which today are cleanest, sharpest things you can put on your TV end up looking muddy and compressed like cable TV.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's interesting, as this still leaves them "outs" if there's distribution issues down the line, and they've specified that this isn't a replacement for the traditional, dedicated set-top box, but this is something we know they've been engineering since the same time as Halo 4's development.

The fact that they have live testing hardware already integrated with the Azure infrastructure is encouraging, in terms of maybe seeing it in the wild in a few years. This was a cool presentation.

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
this is pretty exciting. interested to see a more detailed announcement of devices and how it works. Most likely at XO?

so imagine it will link with your digital purchases and subscriptions.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
If there's a company who is going to get this tech right, I feel Microsoft is probably the one to do it. They've already got the infrastructure and data centres and tech... and a Microsoft amount of money. Welcome to the future, folks.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
The streaming future is going to be great for me. I'm only living in big cities so my internet speed should remain fast.

Project xCloud
Google's Project Stream
Geforce Now

I just hope these subscriptions aren't too costly.

Magicpork

Oct 28, 2017
If there's one company that can make cloud gaming work for masses then it must be Microsoft. They have expertise in gaming hardware design, run a sizable number of game studios, operate a massive cloud infrastructure, own the world's most popular desktop software and most importantly have a very deep pocket..

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I really don't see how this works in the real world. 4k60 is over 15Gbps. That's for video alone. Forget audio, controller throughput, lag considerations, etc. I live in a city of millions and the best I can do (affordably) is about 55Mbps down about 5Mbps up. The best case is video games which today are cleanest, sharpest things you can put on your TV end up looking muddy and compressed like cable TV.
This really isn't for people who want to play their games in 4K60 and care about IQ, having the lowest latency etc.

This is an option to allow you to play your games when you're away from home, or for people who don't care about 4K, or for people who just want to casually dip in and out of games and don't care about owning a console.

This is an additional option, not a replacement for consoles. You and I probably both shudder at the thought of streaming games, and hence we're not in the target demographic.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to get on the ground floor with this, but I can't see myself using it until infrastructure has seriously been upgraded.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Going by the video the servers are running One S, so don't expect 4k streaming.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I'll wait and see if this solves latency issues (I doubt it). Though for the more casual people probably be good and MS definitely has the knowledge for this to work well.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Google launched their beta for Project Stream yesterday night and this video is released the next morning.
Probably related.

So PlayStation Now vs Project xCloud vs Project Stream competing for next-gen market share. It will be interesting indeed.

Also, Sony will need to think about bringing back PSNow to mobile devices now.
Probably Google will put its service on Android as well.

Last edited:

Peckmore

Oct 31, 2017
That looks like a pretty good guess I'd say.

I'd guess the goal would be so that "average users" could just download the Xbox app to their phone/PC/TV, subscribe to Game Pass and then play any game currently in the library. And they'd also be able to purchase games from the store digitally which would appear on their account and also be available for streaming (publisher permitting). So "traditional" Xbox users could also potentially stream any game they own in addition to games from subs.

And the Xbox console then sits alongside this to offer a "premier" experience with better fidelity, etc. And any game that supports Play Anywhere can also be played on PC.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I think the long-term plan is to have your Xbox digital library mirrored in the cloud, so you can play your games anywhere. Not just Game Pass games. I predict the execution will be quite different to PS Now in that regard.

Be fantastic if that's what happens and it works. Be interesting to see what it does to their consoles though if people have the option of say $400 console with 4K native gaming vs no console cost and 1080p streaming.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017

That's why in the video they say consoles are still going to be be the flagship gaming experience. If you just read the OP, they say that the current service is running at 10Mbps, and they are aiming to lower that through new tech, although it will probably be 1080p30 or something like that.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty awesome. It's obviously not completely fresh, y'know, OnLive and others have debuted this in the past, but it's never worked seamlessly. Microsoft, as a company, is one that I sort of trust to launch something in this way that works, just because their network infrastructure is well ahead of other gaming companies and on par or better than the top cloud companies -- Amazon and Google.

What's interesting is that Google and Microsoft have both simultaneously announced their game streaming platforms within like a week of one another. Google is leveraging Chrome, of course, and Microsoft is leveraging the Xbox platform.

What I'd like to see is a seamless library of your games. One of the people in the video mentions playing console games, but then his son jumps on his console, and he [the father] transitions over to playing on his mobile device... and I'd love to do that. Be playing Madden, then my wife comes in and wants to watch TV, and I just swap over to Madden on my phone either with a controller or without. As long as it's mostly seamless, I'd happily do the mundane tasks in Madden (say, managing my team, etc), while playing most of the actual gameplay on my TV and console.

I definitely think there's a strong future in streaming... and looking forward to seeing someone who really executes on it.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Playstation Now adds downloads and Microsoft creates a streaming platform? Interesting.

Maybe in 2025, we'll see a Nintendo on Demand platform.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I get all the optimism for Microsoft doing this "the right way" given that it has the right kind of infrastructure to make a play in this space, but I mean... Like PS Now has been around for like four or five years now and hasn't really been pulling up trees. In fact, the only thing I ever really heard about PS Now was people asking for them to add downloads.

I don't really see the big deal? I imagine they're going to do a better job than Sony on it but... Like if you want this kind of thing, you've been able to try it for years now.

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
I've already tried the streaming on your phone/tablet and use a controller thing (OnLive, Nvidia). I'll stick with dedicated systems and physical media. I "bought" some games on OnLive... all gone.