• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
They started this gen talking about selling a billion consoles. They had every intention of "winning" this generation. Companies as big and powerful as Microsoft don't get into categories for friendly competition.

They ended up selling less than half the number of consoles their biggest rival sold.

Now they are saying it's not a competition, and not about "winning". They gave up the notion of selling more consoles because they know that's not a realistic goal at this point.

Biggest change was in the new CEO's vision of reinventing Microsoft as a cloud-first, mobile-first company where users aren't bound by a device. Back in summer 2014 he sent his first memo to the company outlining his vision by division and he said that Xbox presented a unique opportunity in his vision. What Xbox is doing today was set in motion back in 2014.

If Ballmer was still in charge I have no doubt it would still be about consoles.

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
Biggest change was in the new CEO's vision of reinventing Microsoft as a cloud-first, mobile-first company where users aren't bound by a device. Back in summer 2014 he sent his first memo to the company outlining his vision by division and he said that Xbox presented a unique opportunity in his vision. What Xbox is doing today was set in motion back in 2014.

If Ballmer was still in charge I have no doubt it would still be about consoles.
Honestly, this right here. When Nadella took over in 2014, he changed MS. Made them think about the future, and them going head to head with Google & Amazon, heck even surpass them.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Booty. It couldn't be more obvious that Xbox and PlayStation are moving in different directions with different goals and are both probably going to find success. People will be able to choose which platform they prefer and it's going to be great. Platform wars need to die.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
The thread title definitely burries the lead here. I think the most remarkable part of this interview is Microsoft showing some self reflection and awareness of their shortcomings. That's really refreshing to see coming from someone who isn't Phil Spencer. It's definitely the right mindset to have. Work on making your own product the best it can be rather than obsessing over the competition.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
For sure. The Xbox Series X will definitely be a games-first machine, akin to the 360, PS4, etc. I agree with the both of you on that. But, right now, I still do not think it will be the lightning in a bottle that the Xbox 360 was. In order for it to reach a status like that, Microsoft would have to also go back to the space they dominated in the most, which was online gaming.

The 360 revolutionized how games on a console should be played online, no question about it. The console came with a headset and Ethernet cable, so you were ready to go! The Xbox One continued to received monthly updates with new features that the PS4 has yet to receive, but it still never became the definitive platform to play online, which could be attributed to the greater overall success of the PS4. Without the 360, the online features of the PS4 would have come nowhere close to where they are today. The 360 gave us Achievements, private/party chat, TrueSkill matchmaking, and a greater focus on dedicated servers, just to name several of the innovations Microsoft brought to consoles. Even third-party titles, such as Call of Duty, had a better multiplayer experience on the 360. We also cannot forget how vastly better the Xbox Marketplace was compared to the PlayStation Store.

Nintendo and Sony have their single-player experiences on lock, which Microsoft has unfortunately yet to match. They are clearly workings to rectifying this with their studio acquisitions and upcoming releases such as Senua's Saga: Hellblade II, but they should not let what gave them a strong position in the industry just languish.
I think XCloud is that real opportunity for the sort of "lightning in a bottle" you're talking about. Xbox is really just a part of the ecosystem, not the whole thing like was in the mid 2000s. Microsoft sees the forest and not just the trees here, they're planning longer term.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These sites really try to fuel the console war.

I remember that Kotaku interview from November where the interviewer tries all ways to get Greenberg to say something they can use as console wars. He doesnt and then they made the article title console warrior. To get clicks. This is the title.

And this is the question with the response.

Asking a top executive about how he feels positioned beside the top market player isn't fueling anything.

Spencer is certainly under the grill of a thousand more cruel questioning (and voting) at every MS board council.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
The 360 was mainly focused on games.

with the Xone it was multimedia, kinect bullshit etc ...

Phil Spencer has put his focus back on the games, and today they have the largest number of studios they have ever had.

On the 360 they were focused on their thing and not watching the competition, they are doing the same on the next generation and if the games are of quality + continues to be a gamer-centric, it will be a success in the long term .
The thing is with the old 'Xbox One was focused on multimedia bullshit' line is that in reality whilst yes they put effort into those features, both XGS and Sony have published near-identical amount of titles this generation.

About 50 each so far.

So from that perspective, they've been as focused as each other. Quantity is not the issue for Microsoft.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I think XCloud is that real opportunity for the sort of "lightning in a bottle" you're talking about. Xbox is really just a part of the ecosystem, not the whole thing like was in the mid 2000s. Microsoft sees the forest and not just the trees here, they're planning longer term.

Perhaps, but Project xCloud could still remain niche as long as data caps exist. This goes for both traditional ISPs and cellular carriers. I don't see it becoming as ubiquitous as the 360 was as long as these limitations are put in place.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Petition for system wars OT because we not even a month into next gen year, and the console wars have been outta hand lmfao

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
They've realized they can't compete with Sony on a global scale in terms of unit sales, so it's not a war worth fighting on that front. Competing on services and subscriptions across console and PC is where it's at for them. It reminds me of Nintendo deciding after the Gamecube to stop competing on power with Sony/MS and take a less traditional route, culminating with the Switch. Ultimately I think it's great for the consumer to have these distinctive approaches going forward.

Jun 23, 2019
some of y'all on in your 30s-40s still doing the console wars shit.

You realize there are people in their 30s-40s putting on paint, going to sporting events, and possibly getting into violent clashes with fans of other teams right? Tribalism isn't limited to just video games. Video games, cell phones, sports, cars, politics, etc. I'm not defending being a fanboy of anything, but people in here trying to make these holier than thou type comments, I highly doubt you've gone your entire life never engaging in behavior like it.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I think Microsoft is done with hardware competition and don't care to sell like Sony. They are focused on their ecosystem penetration and gamepass.

I think soon or later we gonna see gamepass on PlayStation.

I think this is smart from them. Worldwide they can't compete with Sony on hardware but they can have better revenue with software and services.

Just no. That's like saying a printer manufacturer isn't interested in selling printers because he introduced ink as a service.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is with the old 'Xbox One was focused on multimedia bullshit' line is that in reality whilst yes they put effort into those features, both XGS and Sony have published near-identical amount of titles this generation.

About 50 each so far.

So from that perspective, they've been as focused as each other. Quantity is not the issue for Microsoft.

Sony have published far more than fifty PS4 games.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps, but Project xCloud could still remain niche as long as data caps exist. This goes for both traditional ISPs and cellular carriers. I don't see it becoming as ubiquitous as the 360 was as long as these limitations are put in place.
Paradoxically, this makes the biggest immediate opportunity for XCloud in markets that Xbox traditionally struggled in (Europe, Asia). Streaming really is sort of an inevitability though, ISPs and carriers will adapt as demand does. They already have for video streaming largely.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
They started this gen talking about selling a billion consoles. They had every intention of "winning" this generation. Companies as big and powerful as Microsoft don't get into categories for friendly competition.

They ended up selling less than half the number of consoles their biggest rival sold.

Now they are saying it's not a competition, and not about "winning". They gave up the notion of selling more consoles because they know that's not a realistic goal at this point.

Reminds me of:

*Before the Wii released, after GameCube got crushed by PS2 and 360 started strong*
Nintendo: "We don't consider ourselves as competing with Sony and Microsoft."

*After Wii is a marketplace phenomenon*
Nintendo: "We are the #1 gaming system in the world!!"

😂

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's looks like we will have a divided console market soon with each focusing mainly on:

Nintendo - main focus on hybrid gaming with fun factor in mind rather than traditional gaming on powerful hardware.

Microsoft - main focus on service/ cloud based gaming with lots of choice how to play games.

Sony - main focus on traditional stationary gaming on great hardware with AAA first party game experience.

everybody gets their own piece of the gaming cake and gamers are spoiled for choice.

Last edited:

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
In my dream world, MS would release Game Pass app on PS5.

I'm sure Sony would let them, for 30% cut as platform holder.

That's what it's all about the 30%, which is why I think we might be back to loss leader consoles to build the ecosystem. It's all about spending, preferably digitally, hence the move to season passes and DLC and Subscriptions. Selling the boxes isnt the profitable part.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
You realize there are people in their 30s-40s putting on paint, going to sporting events, and possibly getting into violent clashes with fans of other teams right? Tribalism isn't limited to just video games. Video games, cell phones, sports, cars, politics, etc. I'm not defending being a fanboy of anything, but people in here trying to make these holier than thou type comments, I highly doubt you've gone your entire life never engaging in behavior like it.
Soooo we shouldn't call that behavior?Those type of people ruin the environment for everyone else.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
It's looks like we will have a divided console market soon.

Nintendo - focus on hybrid gaming with focus on fun rather than traditional gaming on powerful hardware.

Microsoft - service/ cloud based gaming with lots of choice how to play games.

Sony - traditional stationary gaming on great hardware with AAA first party game experience

everybody gets their own piece of the gaming cake and gamers are spoiled for choice.

The barriers between those 3 aren't as sharp as you describe them. Sony invests in streaming services since 2014 and the majority of Xbox' revenues - let alone actual profits - stem from their traditional console business (subs from Xbox Live and royalties), which is not going to change anytime soon. Which is why proclaiming "MS doesn't care where you play your games or if you buy their consoles" is nonsense. At least in the foreseeable future.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's looks like we will have a divided console market soon.

Nintendo - focus on hybrid gaming with focus on fun rather than traditional gaming on powerful hardware.

Microsoft - service/ cloud based gaming with lots of choice how to play games.

Sony - traditional stationary gaming on great hardware with AAA first party game experience

Their all different for sure but people forget Sony has services too. Either way still alot of choices for gamers.
The barriers between those 3 aren't as sharp as you describe them. Sony invests in streaming services since 2014 and the majority of Xbox' revenues - let alone actual profits - stem from their traditional console business (subs from Xbox Live and royalties), which is not going to change anytime soon. Which is why proclaiming "MS doesn't care where you play your games or if you buy their consoles" is nonsense. At least on the foreseeable future.

Yup people seem to forget Sony has services and they been on going and useable and they are continuing working on them. Same with Nintendo

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
The way I see it is:

Nintendo - Interested in providing entertainment on dedicated hardware and using exclusive entertainment on phones not only to raise brand awareness but make a substantial amount of money to help pump back into expanding the company horizons, using R&D to keep producing unique products to market and even starting new markets (hybrids).

Sony - Still trying to make the clients come to them, sticking to a relatively traditional model, that is currently working for them

Microsoft - wanting as many people to purchase their products by expanding how said products can be accessed, it's no longer about selling one plastic box, it's about the units of software sold, going as far as xcloud and placing choice software titles on other hardware (Switch). Having no exclusives is fantastic for their current business model and I hope they start trying to get an Xbox app on Mac OS X so Mac users can play Xbox exclusives, because Xbox is the brand, the service, it's transcended above just one box.

All three companies have three separate strategies and I think that can only mean great things for the industry as a whole, no longer is there three companies trying to fight over the same piece of pie IMO.

I wish all but the best for everyone going into the "next generation"! 😁

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
The way you frame a response matters. One would think Microsoft as a whole changed because the Xbox division couldn't compete with PlayStation.

These moves for the Xbox division looks inevitable. It would've happened even if they outsold Sony in hardware. They'd be looking at even more revenue because of the increased presence.

Thank you so much for pointing this out.

Sony actually did win the hardware race, yet still found themselves humbled at the end of the gen and having to choose a partnership with Microsoft to follow Microsoft's initiative and vision for a cloud based future anyway.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Xbox doesn't want to compete head to head with PlayStation and Sony doesn't want to compete head to head with Microsoft. They usually work together instead.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Good attitude to have. Work on making your brand good and wish the other guy the best. Need less console warring in general

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
The way I see it is:

Nintendo - Interested in providing entertainment on dedicated hardware and using exclusive entertainment on phones not only to raise brand awareness but make a substantial amount of money to help pump back into expanding the company horizons, using R&D to keep producing unique products to market and even starting new markets (hybrids).

Sony - Still trying to make the clients come to them, sticking to a relatively traditional model, that is currently working for them

Microsoft - wanting as many people to purchase their products by expanding how said products can be accessed, it's no longer about selling one plastic box, it's about the units of software sold, going as far as xcloud and placing choice software titles on other hardware (Switch). Having no exclusives is fantastic for their current business model and I hope they start trying to get an Xbox app on Mac OS X so Mac users can play Xbox exclusives, because Xbox is the brand, the service, it's transcended above just one box.

All three companies have three separate strategies and I think that can only mean great things for the industry as a whole, no longer is there three companies trying to fight over the same piece of pie IMO.

I wish all but the best for everyone going into the "next generation"! 😁
I would argue Nintendo is the traditionalist here. Their network services are still pretty conservative compared to Sony and Microsoft. They have spent years pushing their handhelds towards a full console like experience. The Switch is just the final form of that push, opting to be a device that has mobile and console modes. I am not sure what new markets opened up because of the Switch. Maybe you could elaborate on that?