• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I don't get it. Yes the Ps5 is taller but xbox series x is fat as fuck. Like...in the end they both need the same space.
Nah, PS5 has a bigger volume figure. It's a bigger console all things considered.
As long as the PS5 is quiet I'm cool with that.
This is the most important to me. I can't stand another console as loud as my Pro. But I believe in Cerny and he acknowledged the issue in his deep dive.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Series X is cool and I like its form factor but tbh anything at the side of the PS5 will look better designed. The bar is so low...

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
Some people here seem to think Sony's GPU clocking is reactionary and not an intentional performance decision. Cerny specifically went for higher frequencies over more compute units because it came with several benefits. Here's the timestamped video where he explains his reasoning.

Having overkill size and cooling makes me less worried about any major downclocking in the worst case scenario game he speculates about coming years from now.

Makes me wonder if people at home will be able to mod their console in a way, that it never downclockes, even if its overheating. Or if they will be able to make the PS5 run at max boost all the time, like the Series X.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't put either of them on a shelf, more like behind the tv or next to it.They need clearance.

Obviously PS5 is big for a reason and if the man itself adressed the noise issue, then it's something people shouldn't worry about this time around.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nah, PS5 has a bigger volume figure. It's a bigger console all things considered.
This is the most important to me. I can't stand another console as loud as my Pro. But I believe in Cerny and he acknowledged the issue in his deep dive.
If I m not mistaken ps5 is slightly lighter though.9.8 lbs vs 10.3 lbs

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
As already said, the stand appears to go in the negative space under the console, thus not adfing its entire height to it.

And what you said was that 4" + stand would be almost 6" (+50%), to then backtrack and imply a +25% (+1").

I don't see it, but photos can certainly be deceiving.
image.dynimg.full.q75.jpg

Of course it's deceiving. That's the point of all the curves and all the angled shots. If anything (and this is just my theory) the curvy design is really meant to throw you off and distract you from how huge this console really is. I suppose that only works with angled bull-shots. But actually having it in your living room will be another story.

If I m not mistaken ps5 is slightly lighter though.9.8 lbs vs 10.3 lbs

Actually the PS5 is slightly heavier. Not by much thou.

This tells me there is a lot of unused space in the PS5 whereas the XSX is packed tighter and more dense.

Last edited:

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Fortunately I can put that thick boy behind my TV so it's out of sight mostly. I plan on doing the same for the Series X when I get one.

I personally don't mind the size but I can easily see it being bothersome to others. It is pretty interesting that while the Series X is big still, MS managed to cram a little more into a smaller case.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances Sony and Microsoft put out a redesign sooner (2022) rather than later (2023, 2024) this time around?

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances Sony and Microsoft put out a redesign sooner (2022) rather than later (2023, 2024) this time around?
Sony very soon I think

They hopefully have a lot to improve upon

(plus their insane history of revisions)

I really want a PS5 but it won't fit in my setup so I am gunna hope for a slim within 18 months or so

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
XSX looks lazy and uninspired to me, but I guess that it's a lot easier to cool a cube shaped console than a flatter one. Props to them for choosing function over looks tho.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
A redesign/slim usually means that they found out to reduce costs, rather than putting out just a "redesign". I personally dont think a slim/redesign will come that soon.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
C
Of course it's deceiving. That's the point of all the curves and all the angled shots. If anything (and this is just my theory) the curvy design is really meant to throw you off and distract you from how huge this console really is. I suppose that only works with angled bull-shots. But actually having it in your living room will be another story.

Actually the PS5 is slightly heavier. Not by much thou.

This tells me there is a lot of unused space in the PS5 whereas the XSX is packed tighter and more dense.

Can you give me official figures for xsx?
I see ps5 is 9.9 lbs from official release

Edit Found it . Yea 9.8 lbs for xsx.

Oct 28, 2017
It really is!

Microsofts hardware team has been on a roll since the One S.

The Xbox One X already is a tech marvel! A LOT of power in a very small box, all while being WHISPER quiet.

It's been a funny turn of events. We always had the notion that Sony knows about hardware and Microsoft knows about software (operating system, features).

But for a while now, Microsoft has been dominating on both sides of the field.
As someone that gets both every gen, imo MS is better at everything other than the actual games themselves. But that's the most important part and Sony has that special sauce that MS doesn't.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
PS5:
4.01" thick

Xbox Series X:
5.94" thick

One can fit in place of a standard DVR / media player in an entertainment center, the other one cannot.

Hint: it's the PS5

The PS5 sure is a chonker, but these takes are so weird.
PS5 has a mandatory stand iirc.
They are wizards that hate entertainment shelves. XD
I don't get the narrative that PS5 fits in every shelve, while Xbox doesn't.
Mandatory stand when horizontal makes the PS5 is almost as tall as the Series X.
This.
Do both consoles have built in power supplies? Or do they have external power bricks?
Internal on both.
Nope, not this. You need to take the stand into account on PS5.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Where are the volume figures?
6 x 6 x 12 = 425 sq in.
(3 to 4) x 10 x 15 = 525 sq in. (maybe a little more because it's more complex than a wedge shape)

Why? You guys want to put it in your bathtub or something?

If I don't have 6" height in my rack the XSX doesn't fit.
If I don't have 15" in width the PS5 doesn't fit. And chances are the XSX will be a tight fit blocking the vents.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Sony knows what they are doing and there is ample power going to both the cpu and GPU to run them at max clocks . There was a tweet from some dev recently who said the ps5 profiles showed the cpu go all the way down to 2.0 ghz when the GPU is at 2.23 ghz so it doesn't seem like there is enough power there for both.

Not sure how true that is, but it could help explain the re8 issues with framerates dusk was talking about.

I mean Sony isn't new to making consoles.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think MS making a loud system is a concern at all. The One, S and X are silent. MS isn't going make the Series loud all od a sudden. Especially with that cube shape. They also put that giant ugly grill on the Series S for a reason.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
mac-pro-trash-can-deal.jpg

XboxSeriesXHERO.jpg

Same shape, same number of holes, you're on to something Coi!
The shape is a matter of costs, but the cooling system comparable.
Where it's not unrelated is that in the late 2013, they've managed to fit in their trashcan :

- One Xeon 12 core 2.7/3.5 Ghz
- Up to 128 Gb ECC RAM DDR3
- Two AMD Fire Pro (up to 12GB of VRAM)
- 6 xThunderbolt 2 2xGigabith 4xUSB3 1xHDMI
- 1TB of PCI-E SSD (up to 1.5 Gb/s)

So yes it was a prowess, and not necessarily a direct inspiration for the Series X but certainly a reference during its conception.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft said that the manufacturing process has reached a point where cheaper/slimmer redesigns without affecting functionality aren't really feasible anymore (it's one of the reasons they released Series S at launch, they don't plan on releasing a slimmed down unit later). However, a more powerful redesign - I've seen some speculation that Microsoft could be going to a 2-year update cadence, updating system specs just as people pay off their 2-year payment plans.

Mar 20, 2020
I'm surprised neither one was able to get the system into a typical console form factor considering mini-itx chassis are already getting close using off the shelf parts. Here's one that fits a full length card into 7.1 Liters:
2ff2dd65d9f61ca7da30a4115367b463_original.JPG

1694cd4142aeb270427d43f532c9d3d6_original.jpg

Using a more exotic power supply (but still a conventional low profile cpu fan), the S4 Mini fits a full GPU into a smaller build than the Xbox One:

DF1uIaD.jpg

So I'm surprised that with the benefit of customized silicone and pcb neither company was able to substantially outperform parts anyone can buy.

Yes, but what are the acoustic profiles of these PC builds? Are they near silent like the Xbox One X?
How hot would they get under sustained load? Perhaps, there is more nuance consideration both companies had to overcome to get to where they are?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
If you say so, but that ridiculous clockspeed looks like Sony's trying to make up for something. It's the highest clocked GPU AMD has ever made, higher than any desktop GPU ever made if I'm not mistaken.

And exactly what advantages does cooking the GPU in its own juices bring over having more compute units?

PS5 having the same number of CUs as the PS4 Pro (and exactly double that of the regular PS4) makes me think it might have been a backwards compatibility compromise of some sort. If you're stuck with a 36CU GPU and need to get more power then the only way forward is to clock the shit out of it.

You are not mistaken. The 5700xt amd GPU topped out at 2.15 ghz.

I hope Sony knows what they are doing and there is ample power going to both the cpu and GPU to run them at max clocks . There was a tweet from some dev recently who said the ps5 profiles showed the cpu go all the way down to 2.0 ghz when the GPU is at 2.23 ghz so it doesn't seem like there is enough power there for both.

Not sure how true that is, but it could help explain the re8 issues with framerates dusk was talking about.

I have a really hard time buying the "official" story on the boost clocks.

They designed an absolutely massive console that requires exotic cooling and liquid metal thermal compound just to hit a performance level that is at best 20% slower than the Xbox when the CPU isn't being pushed too hard. None of this extra engineering work makes sense to me unless they were somehow forced to get more performance out of a "locked-in" chip configuration, or it somehow still saved Sony money compared to coughing up for more compute units.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
PS5 would be a cool design if it was the size of the S. Being ugly and huge is just not a good look.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
When you compare the size of the Switch to these systems, I'm damn impressive what that thing can do.
Doubly so when you consider its running on pretty dated tech at this point. That's why I'm so excited about a Switch Pro or successor that actually has a SoC built just for it and not repurposed.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
PS5:
4.01" thick

Xbox Series X:
5.94" thick

One can fit in place of a standard DVR / media player in an entertainment center, the other one cannot.

Hint: it's the PS5

The PS5 sure is a chonker, but these takes are so weird.
You state this like it's true for everyone, and it isn't. XSX will fit in my TV cabinet just fine. It isn't as tall as my AV receiver, which fits without issue.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Definitely not earlier than previous gens. The reason previous generations have had redesigns is because they were able to shrink the processors to save a lot of money.

However, Richard Leadbetter said Microsoft believes that next gen processors won't be able to die shrink to cut costs nearly as significantly as previous generations. Richard thinks that if MS is right, instead of cost cuts, console makers will increase SSD capacity.

Aardvarken

Dec 28, 2019
ps5horizontal_large.jpg

This is how the horizontal stand works. It mostly takes up negative space of the console design. So not much of a difference.

Edit: On second thought, I think these pictures aren't official and edited based on pictures of the vertical position. Point still stands though.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
God I'm with you. The ps5 should just fit in my TV stand vertically. If it is quiet I'll be happy.. My ps4 is like a jet engine and I can't deal with that again. Will be day one for a slim if it is loud lol

Feb 23, 2019
If you say so, but that ridiculous clockspeed looks like Sony's trying to make up for something. It's the highest clocked GPU AMD has ever made, higher than any desktop GPU ever made if I'm not mistaken.

And exactly what advantages does cooking the GPU in its own juices bring over having more compute units?

You are not mistaken. The 5700xt amd GPU topped out at 2.15 ghz.

The PS5 is designed the way it is because it has to:

1) Be cost competitive
2) Be producible at Large Volumes.

Generally speaking, #1 and #2 can be incompatible at the scale that PS5 is going to be selling at, especially with what we know of RDNA2 on 7nm. Even Microsoft admits in their Hot Chips slides how much more expensive it is this generation. Larger chip sizes also limit how many chips you can produce, especially with how many other products use these fabs there's only so much supply they can produce.

This is precisely why Sony went with their design. The constraints may have not impacted Microsoft nearly as much, partly because they have the Series S already, but also because they aren't expected to sell nearly as many consoles as Sony. That's why they could go wide and slow and Sony went narrow and fast.