• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm very interested in seeing where this app leads them. I think it's awesome they're trying to become more than a console manufacturer and using their money to really grow.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good old website local editing.

iy3qCNX.png

WOAH

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hot damn. MS going for the complete global saturation.

How soon before we see Xbox Live on a Playstation ?

Probably never. Xbox wants to be the service that people use. Playstation has their own services they want their customers to use. Playstation makes a lot of revenue from PSN, so allowing a competitor's service to be on their platform is probably the opposite of what they want. Sony wants people in the Playstation ecosystem, not the Xbox ecosystem.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
if msft is revealing all this now, what about E3!!

just need to display this on screen for 2hrs. they will win

"XBOX LIVE FREE"

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Not so much 'free' as replacing it with gamepass subs via opening up the service to as many platforms as possible. I don't see how charging console owners for access to xbox live gold will be viable in a few years, when the potential to be console-agnostic and hook consumers into their ecosystem by any means has much greater long term potential IMO. MS has a much better chance of having me as a long term customer if I can access the full breadth of their content without need for *another* closed box under my TV.

Considering they give away games every month with Gold, that isn't feasible if they're giving Gold away free. It would also need to be a long term rollout of a change, so those that had prepaid years ahead were not getting screwed. Unless they credited back the dollar value of time remaining. Or at least gave that many months of Game Pass for free.

other Microsoft games like Solitaire and Minecraft have Live stuff too.

yeah you're right, I guess that was just the only one for a long time (or only one that was free)

Wordament
Wordament Snap Attack
Halo Spartan Assault
Halo Startan Strike
Minecraft
Age of Empires Castle Siege

Not that many.

Last edited:

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Considering they give away games every month with Gold, that isn't feasible if they're giving Gold away free. It would also need to be a long term rollout of a change, so those that had prepaid years ahead were not getting screwed. Unless they credited back the dollar value of time remaining. Or at least gave that many months of Game Pass for free.

I didn't say anything about giving away gold for free. If I were an Xbox console player now my question to MS would be 'why do I need to pay $60 to play Halo/Forza/Gears online when PC owners pay nothing?' I can't see that continuing to be a reality down the line with them going all-in on integrating the platforms. Morphing GOLD into GAMEPASS allows parity across the board in terms of all their customers paying into their ecosystem (console, PC and soon to be mobile by the looks of it). Paying for basic online play ( for console owners) will give way to encouraging people to pay for a game service accessible across a spectrum of devices. Or maybe online play will be rolled into Gamepass in one, all-encompassing service. Greater minds at Microsoft can work out those logistics. I haven't bought xbox live in 5 years, but as a mostly PC gamer now I'd pay for that.

As you said it's not something that needs to be a flick of the switch, but a plan to be unveiled over time with contingencies for people who have prepaid their subs a few years in advance. It can't be that difficult to give console GOLD subbers the option for pro-rated credit to their account to be used in whatever way the end-user wants( games, gamepass, etc), as the money is already MS' at that point.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
No Switch mention, but Microsoft's plans were leaked with Switch in tow. Maybe Nintendo got some last-minute cold feet?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Actually pretty excited to use my MS Account for games on mobile...especially getting achievements when I'm on public transit and at work lol

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Time to make Xbox Live free on console.

DROP THE COST
DROP THE COST
DROP THE COST

Don't confuse "Xbox Live" with "Xbox Live Gold."

The first is an all-encompassing set of network services, offered free of charge to gamers and developers on a variety of platforms.
The second is a premium-tier level of service that offers online multiplayer on the Xbox hardware platform, along with some other perks (Games With Gold, discounts, etc.). The revenues from the second help to pay for the first.

This news has nothing to do with Xbox Live Gold.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Seriously, it's so strange with how they're pushing this open and platform agnostic approach to Xbox Live but insist on arbitrarily punishing only Xbox One owners who want to play online multiplayer on the same servers, on the same game, with the same account.
If they keep that approach they'll lose even more markets hare in terms of consoles sold.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Don't confuse "Xbox Live" with "Xbox Live Gold."

The first is an all-encompassing set of network services, offered free of charge to gamers and developers on a variety of platforms.
The second is a premium-tier level of service that offers online multiplayer on the Xbox hardware platform, along with some other perks (Games With Gold, discounts, etc.). The revenues from the second help to pay for the first.

This news has nothing to do with Xbox Live Gold.
besides the games of the month, xbox live on pc and mobile have the same features. it absolutely should be free. keep a sub for your 5 games a month if you want. but online multiplayer should not be an additional cost.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gaming seems really hot these days. Must be snooze you lose time and who knows about Google, I think they'll make multiplayer free which might ruffle some feathers in the console space.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I might be missing something, but what's the big deal? At first I thought this meant we would be getting all of those games trapped on Windows Phones. But this is just the app? Can't say I've ever really wanted to message a friend on Xbox in the middle of the day. Or look at my Achievements.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I might be missing something, but what's the big deal? At first I thought this meant we would be getting all of those games trapped on Windows Phones. But this is just the app? Can't say I've ever really wanted to message a friend on Xbox in the middle of the day. Or look at my Achievements.
its dev tools. more games will support live and its services. the xbox app has been on mobile for years btw.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't really imply it isn't coming. MS are the ones who put up the blog post mentioning it. Maybe it just got pushed back?
I think something happened at the table and talks broke down. It could still happen and they're still probably doing something with Nintendo, just not this and not anytime soon.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Seriously, it's so strange with how they're pushing this open and platform agnostic approach to Xbox Live but insist on arbitrarily punishing only Xbox One owners who want to play online multiplayer on the same servers, on the same game, with the same account.

They would be throwing away a fuckton of easy money by making xbox live free.

Dec 15, 2017
Great news. Hopefully this is a small step towards a consolé agnostic future. Consoles should ho the way of the dodo

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
They would be throwing away a fuckton of easy money by making xbox live free.

I mean that's great and all for shareholders, but too bad it's not an actual reason as to why they should keep it. Microsoft has stopped giving out actual Gold sub numbers in favor of using MAU three years ago. Giving the tanking console sales in their strongest market, do you think that they're gaining or losing active subs? To me there's a reason that they're pushing Game Pass so hard and want to make it available on other devices besides the Xbox One.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
It's an integrated platform for developers ffs, it's amazing in its own way, but nothing to Xbox on Switch, Playstation, or whatever.