• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/14/18265214/microsoft-xbox-live-ios-android-games-support-features

Microsoft is bringing its Xbox Live network to iOS and Android devices. The software giant is launching a new cross-platform mobile software development kit (SDK) for game developers to bring Xbox Live functionality to games that run on iOS and Android. Xbox Live features like achievements, Gamerscore, hero stats, friend lists, clubs, and even some family settings will all be available on iOS and Android.

It's all part of a bigger push from Microsoft to make its Xbox games and services available across multiple platforms. Game developers will be able to pick and choose parts of Xbox Live to integrate into their games, and it will all be enabled through a single sign-in to a Microsoft Account. Microsoft is using its identity network to support login, privacy, online safety, and child accounts.

"We believe so strongly in community, and Xbox Live really being at the heart of our gaming community," explains Kareem Choudhry, Microsoft's gaming cloud chief in a media briefing this week. "If you watch what we've done, especially with Minecraft, over the past few years we've taken Xbox Live to as many platforms as Minecraft is on as possible. Really uniting all those communities together with a consistent singular experience for those gamers."

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Huh, that's interesting. I was always under the assumption that it was already on there. Guess not!

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's coming to Switch too going by that GDC blog. Wonder why it wasn't announced with this?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are going all out with integrating Xbox live with as many platform as possible.

Yes, it's fascinating. Only a few years ago this seemed so unlikely, and now here we are, Microsoft will soon have Xbox Live, xCloud and Game Pass on tons of different ecosystems - all this without leaving the console business, as many hoped speculated over the years between gaming boards. To me, being able to play my games on whatever platform while also carrying my progress and friends over is vital in the future of gaming, and I'm happy Microsoft is pushing towards this future.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Well it's coming to Switch too going by that GDC blog. Wonder why it wasn't announced with this?
it isnt.
If you were hoping to see Xbox Live on Nintendo Switch then you might have to wait a little longer. "Our goal is to really unite the 2 billion gamers of the world and we're big fans of our Xbox Live community, but we don't have any specific announcements as it relates to Switch today," reveals Choudhry.

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
Time to make Xbox Live free on console.

Seriously, it's so strange with how they're pushing this open and platform agnostic approach to Xbox Live but insist on arbitrarily punishing only Xbox One owners who want to play online multiplayer on the same servers, on the same game, with the same account.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
unknown.png

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/games

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Just imagine you can earn Gamerscore for The World Ends With You on Android/ioS despite the game never hitting Xbox natively. And as we learned recently, now you can stream PC games to Xbox One, too - so you can play Dragon Quest XI on Xbox One indirectly now, even if Steam has not integrated Live into non-MS games. In this sense, Xbox is trying to be all inclusive also to the benefit of their own game library, I think. Not sure how many companies will actually support this though.

And voilà, this way brings Xbox to many more customers than ever before. They'are all in for the long-term future with these moves.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Yes, it's fascinating. Only a few years ago this seemed so unlikely, and now here we are, Microsoft will soon have Xbox Live, xCloud and Game Pass on tons of different ecosystems - all this without leaving the console business, as many hoped speculated over the years between gaming boards. To me, being able to play my games on whatever platform while also carrying my progress and friends over is vital in the future of gaming, and I'm happy Microsoft is pushing towards this future.
Yeah, it's also leading a path Sony and Nintendo can follow if they are successful at it, as a consumer makes me happy with the direction they are taking.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
PlayFab will now be part of Microsoft's cloud tools and Azure, allowing developers to spin up multiplayer servers for games with matchmaking, voice and chat services, and user-generated content.

This is interesting

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
seems kinda like they're starting to turn "Xbox" into more of a service rather than a single platform

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Microsoft makes a number of tools and middleware that are used in game development across devices, including PS and Switch.

Havok, Visual Studio, Simplygon for example... github is even counted in there.

This isn't about 'XBL/gamepass/xcloud coming to XYZ' or whatever. They're talking about their full suite of developer tools, some of which of course are relevant to dev on any platform.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
MS had been on this trajectory since windows 10 (or before). I wouldn't be surprised if paying for gold becomes a thing of the past and they monetize in another way.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
They're private previewing voice & chat for the new sdk. I bet Discord will add this to their app for crossplatform voice & chat.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Time to make Xbox Live free on console.

Not so much 'free' as replacing it with gamepass subs via opening up the service to as many platforms as possible. I don't see how charging console owners for access to xbox live gold will be viable in a few years, when the potential to be console-agnostic and hook consumers into their ecosystem by any means has much greater long term potential IMO. MS has a much better chance of having me as a long term customer if I can access the full breadth of their content without need for *another* closed box under my TV.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Hot damn. MS going for the complete global saturation.

How soon before we see Xbox Live on a Playstation ?