• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking of upgrading my micro sd card on my Switch and am now staring at some options on Best Buy. I hate choices....

I'm looking at 256 or 512GB. I've never even heard of PNY.
What have people's experiences been with the different brands? Speeds? Etc?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
sandisk, wait for an amazon sale. you can get em fairly cheap.

Edit: Amazon actually has good prices on em right now.
256 for $33.99
400 for $55 (what i have)
512 for $91.83

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I've got two Switches, both are using SanDisk Ultra 400 GB cards and I've never had an issue.

Don't know what more to say other than, these are good and have never failed me! I know you mention you're after a card size bigger but yeah. Thought I would throw my hat in the ring.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Speed-wise, the Speed Class is generally enough to know if it's a good enough card.
On Digital Foundry thye say here that Switch supports UHS1 so U1 and above (a logo of a big U with a 1 or more inside) should be the fit.
They say they didn't see much difference between the top/bottom inside the class itself.

Edit2: NOTE: The internal memory of the Switch will always be faster than any SD card or Cartridge you use though, so the SD card should be more for archiving purposes than holding your live games.

Edit: personally I use a Samsung Evo of 128GB that cost around $20. It holds more than the 100-videos limit of the Switch.
(But now that I think about it, I never verified if it was real.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
sandisk, wait for an amazon sale. you can get em fairly cheap.

Edit: Amazon actually has good prices on em right now.
256 for $33.99
400 for $55 (what i have)
512 for $91.83

I've heard too many horror stories with Amazon in regards to SD cards (and had some similar issues of my own with them) otherwise I would

I want to get a 1TB card but omg the $$$$$ lol.

seriously. It's absurd. Then again I remember spending $100+ for an external 60gb drive.

Sep 14, 2019
If you're looking "at 256 or 512gb", I would recommend the middle-ground 400gb model SD cards. They seem to be the best ratio of price per gigabyte (though i'm not sure cause i'm too lazy to do math). 400gbs are usually only $20 more than the 250gbs, but the ones that are 500gb tend to be like $35-40 more than the 400gbs despite only adding 100gbs.

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
can you use an external HD on the Switch docked? Or no because of the possible handheld use?

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I've heard too many horror stories with Amazon in regards to SD cards (and had some similar issues of my own with them) otherwise I would
I take it you mean from the Smash incident when people realized they had fake SD cards. Just buy it directly from Amazon rather than a shady second hand dealer on there that might have it a couple cents cheaper. All their Sandisk Micro SD cards we've bought through them have been the real deal. And my family buys a lot from them.
can you use an external HD on the Switch docked? Or no because of the possible handheld use?
The bolded.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
PNY is a good brand

but really as long as you don't stray from
Samsung
PNY
SanDisk
you should be fine

I'b had issues with lexar

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I've got two Switches, both are using SanDisk Ultra 400 GB cards and I've never had an issue.

Don't know what more to say other than, these are good and have never failed me! I know you mention you're after a card size bigger but yeah. Thought I would throw my hat in the ring.
Damn. I just recently bought a 200gb one for the price i'm seeing this one go for. Feels kind of bad but oh well

OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I take it you mean from the Smash incident when people realized they had fake SD cards. Just buy it directly from Amazon rather than a shady second hand dealer on there that might have it a couple cents cheaper. All their Sandisk Micro SD cards we've bought through them have been the real deal. And my family buys a lot from them.

The bolded.

they mix their products with thatof the third party dealers. It's been a known issue for a while and isn't specific toSD cards. I've gotten some shaaaady products from them even though I wasn't using a third party a eller.

sidenote: anybody else upgrade iOS and it totally fucks up typing on this site and autocorrect? So annoying!

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if the A class cards make any difference at all on Switch. Obviously higher sequential speeds are going to offer little to no improvement, but Application class cards have higher minimum random read/write speeds which should theoretically be beneficial for loading games, if the Switch can take advantage of it.

I haven't found a single test with a quick google search, just people writing off the classification as marketing or telling people "capacity matters more than speed class." Irrelevant answers that miss the point. I'd be curious how an A2 card compares to the basic UHS1 cards that get recommended.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
The sweet spot right now is the 400GB cards; they go for pretty cheap most places when there's a sale. I got one for ~$45 a while ago to replace my perpetually-full 128GB card, and it's worked great so far.

I fully agree with this. They're pretty cheap nowadays and it should last you a while unless you buy every single Switch game available digitally. Thankfully most games are small in storage, I'd say this is a good stopgap until larger cards are more affordable.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
I got a 400GB card a few weeks back during Prime Day for like £25 thanks to a £10 Amazon credit for signing up to Audible on trial.

Zero regrets, I can't see a situation where I'll need more than this.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
i personally splurged and got the 1TB but that was just me future proofing myself but i previously had a 500GB one and i own over 100 Digital switch games and it was plenty of storage as long as i deleted some games after i beat them.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm living life on the wild side with my Gigastone 128GB card that I got for $15. Nintendo Seal-of-Quality be damned*!!

*unless I have to call Nintendo support, then it's definitely an approved card.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I got a 128GB card and it can hold a shit ton of indie games and smaller Nintendo games, the Big titles can soak up a lot of space though so it's up to you if you want to cash out more for a bigger card or that you keep the huge games for cartridges and the SD card for your on the go games.

I got a 400GB card a few weeks back during Prime Day for like £25 thanks to a £10 Amazon credit for signing up to Audible on trial.

Zero regrets, I can't see a situation where I'll need more than this.

For me 128 is enough but 400GB sounds like Nirvana haha.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
SanDisk hasn't let me down her, I'm thinking of upgrading too! Might just wait til Black Friday to see if the 512GB gets any cheaper. I never want to think about memory again lol

OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I got a 128GB card and it can hold a shit ton of indie games and smaller Nintendo games, the Big titles can soak up a lot of space though so it's up to you if you want to cash out more for a bigger card or that you keep the huge games for cartridges and the SD card for your on the go games.

For me 128 is enough but 400GB sounds like Nirvana haha.

128 is starting to lead to some memory management and I buy a lot of physical. Thereve been some large demos and online only games taking up space.

Sep 25, 2018

seriously. It's absurd. Then again I remember spending $100+ for an external 60gb drive.

you had issues because you did not order from amazon themselves, people always go on amazon looking for a cheaper deal from another seller and this how they get caught

i only mess with stuff that say prime to get official products

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I got a 64GB at launch that has finally met its end (and that's after uninstalling a few things over time too). I'm considering the 400GB one but haven't decided yet but going by price it's probably the best bet right now. I'd like to wait until black Friday, though it depends if I end up grabbing DQXI digitally soon or not.

Merino

Oct 26, 2017
Depending on your country the 512gb (Samsung or SanDisk) might actually be pretty decent value.

I got mine for 80euro whereas 400gb would have been 60euro. That 20euro extra was certainly worth the extra space as I know I will fill it up eventually and who knows when 1TB is going to be affordable.

OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
you had issues because you did not order from amazon themselves, people always go on amazon looking for a cheaper deal from another seller and this how they get caught

i only mess with stuff that say prime to get official products

you are 100% mistaken on this. I have primed items that arrived looking completely different from the images.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Yeah, it's definitely common knowledge that ordering on amazon which is why I tend to avoid them when it comes to big name higher capacity microSD cards. Too much of a gamble.
I honestly never had an issue with PNY, other lesser known brands I trust are Silicon Power and Patriot, not sure if they're just as good/fast, but I haven't had them die on my on my other devices.
I would honestly look at best buy if you really want a worry-free experience, they do plenty of sales and usually have them in stock, recently I got a 128GB card for $15, and higher capacities were also discounted too. If you don't want to wait there's a PNY mSD sale on best buy 256 is $40 and 512 is $90

Last edited:

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Sandisk 400GB is the sweet spot right now, but if you're able to stretch to a 512GB card (I got a Samsung) I'd say it's worth it.

Switch Pro needs two microSD card slots.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im upping this. Bought a 3ed micro sd for switch. I have a 512 Samsung a 400 sandisk a1. And I bought another one sansisk(same) as I was approaching the limits of my others card

I bought it on amazon but I see made in Malaysia I though sandisk were made in China. I tested the speed. The Samsung is 40mb writing /60 reading (h2testw on 1gb file ). First Sandisk is 43/60 and second one (Malaysia) is 33/60. It seems good but I don't get this 10mb speed difference. Is it a fake ? Shows the same actual storage (366GB)

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I have has a 200gb and now a 512gb and it is full... most micro SDs at this capacity must be high speed cards otherwise they wouldn't be able to function properly since there can be so much data on it. I've had sandisk for both of mine and no troubles.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
How large do Switch games even go?

Large enough that the onboard storage definitely is not enough. I got a Lite to play Animal Crossing. I also have Picross, Tetris 99, Undertale, and Lumines installed. I bought Ys 8 the other day and had to delete stuff to make room.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Is Amazon still mixing their SD cards? I read some reviews from verified users and it sounds like a lot of trouble...

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have has a 200gb and now a 512gb and it is full... most micro SDs at this capacity must be high speed cards otherwise they wouldn't be able to function properly since there can be so much data on it. I've had sandisk for both of mine and no troubles.
Im worried about my new one beeing fake as all other are made in China , this one in Malaysia and google doesn't help. Though book look similar (new one grey part is a little bit darker). Both have same design in the back (square with made in xxx and serial number ). Just a speed difference (writing not reading )

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
What's the time-to-price decrease in SD cards?

My 128 has been full for some time but now it's got to the stage where I don't want to do any memory management.

Doubling that to 256 doesn't seem to be a huge cost issue; 512 starts getting up there, and the 1TB is tempting but still definitely a major purchase.

I feel like with some knowledge of how long the price drops will take for the larger variants, there's a sweet spot where you buy a smaller volume now, in anticipation more will cost less later.

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance Era!