• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Bret Hart worked a great match with Foley.

Foley is one of the greats, just wish he worked with his health in mind more often.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
There is no one more devoted to the art and enjoyment of professional wrestling than Mick Foley. No one.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
The ending of Dude Love vs. Stone Cold at Over The Edge 1998 remains one of the best endings to a match ever, in part due to the hot crowd:

^Start at 39:00

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
No lie. In early 2000's when I was training in Kentucky they wanted to know who my inspirations to be in the ring were. Owen Hart. Rey Mysterio. Mick Foley. Those were my answers every time. Owen was a technicians dream. Rey was the creativity and flash that Inspired me to come up with longer and more complicated sequences. Foley was my inspiration for absolutely all character, sympathy building and bump taking. When I hit my back I wanted it to mean something. Foley's story telling drove me more than anything else. It told me that no matter what I could or couldnt do technically or in the air that I could tell a story that connected if I focused hard on when and how I took my bumps and how hard I got into my character. Didn't have to murder myself if thats what you're wondering, but he told me the truth that getting up from something sold well is better than doing a flashy move a lot of times. Its not what you do but what you and your opponents had to overcome that puts the story over. I'll never forget though that at the end of the day no matter how far I was from Owen or Rey in skill I always pushed hardest to be like Mick because long after every trick got stolen or done to death I knew that if I was more like Foley than my other inspirations that I'd always connect no matter what spots I used. I left to pursue a degree and career because I decided I'd be happiest married than married to the road. No regrets. I pursued the woman I loved. Got her. Got the career and got stable and have enjoyed it for over a decade.

I got a chance to meet Mick several years ago. Genuinely kind hearted guy. He loves to make people happy and he takes every single moment between him and an audience like its the most overwhelming and precious thing they could ever give him. He just genuinely seems overwhelmed and thankful that he got to make people happy out there and that they reacted to him.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't been into wrestling in decades, but Mick Foley is definitely one of the greatest. He wore a lot of hats well, and he put his body through so much fucking punishment for our entertainment (hell, a lot of wrestlers do, actually).

It also doesn't hurt that he's a genuinely good guy outside of the ring, which, often, seems like a rarity in the industry. At least back in the day when I was big into it.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite things about Mick's run as face Mankind: his entrance video is probably one of the few, if only ones, where the wrestler in it is predominantly getting his ass kicked instead of doing the ass kicking.

Also "Wreck" is one of Jim Johnston's best compositions during his WWE tenure.

OP
OP
data west

data west

Oct 25, 2017

An easy, natural face turn for Cactus Jack in WCW, easily executed by Foley's tenacity and Vader's apex predator attitude. I think Vader's probably Foley's greatest foe in the ring just because Vader didn't need weapons or cells to scramble Foley's brains. Cactus Jack could take any punishment, and Vader could deliver any punishment