• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The only way this wasn't meant to be racist is if someone really is that goddamn stupid.

I mean it's Michigan State so I suppose the chance it's the latter isn't 0%, but damn.

(Also I'm firmly on the side of-- it's not just racist, it's incredibly fucked up and someone needs to lose their job over this. This isn't funny in the slightest.)

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF... I'm hoping these two MSU students are seriously considering transferring out of MSU. From the linked Business Insider article posted in OP:

Asking the university to be more inclusive and offer support to students of color, Davis-Dunn said officials aren't demonstrating any urgency in addressing this incident.

"Something has to happen now," she said. "I don't know what that is, but there has to be someone paying attention, someone capable of making changes and addressing these things that are happening now."

Jackson, 24, echoed the sentiment saying that the university's efforts are a "start," but they're not "enough."

"There needs to be more than an apology," she said. "There needs to be an entire reconstruction of the university. Because things like this have been happening for a while, this is just the first time that something has been on the national stage regarding race."

And it only managed to get that kind of attention because Davis-Dunn's Facebook post went viral, Jackson said, adding, "There has been no address to the student body from the university itself."

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"It's Black History Month? Better ramp up the racism to compensate."

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of the intent of the display, its impact cannot be ignored – people were hurt and offended.

I'm not one to get shocked easily but that's a shockingly bad apology. The intent was racist and people were hurt and offended because you intentionally hurt and offended them. There should be an apology for that apology.

They could have Nazi flags and Hitler puppets everywhere with banners that read "Heil Hitler!" and this would be their apology:

"We were made aware of an inappropriate and insensitive display at the Wharton Center gift shop which used flags bearing the symbol of divinity and spirituality in Hinduism along with puppets of an influential historical figure and foreign-language banners. Regardless of the intent of the display, its impact cannot be ignored – people were hurt and offended."

Last edited:

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
"Ah let us see how we this can be interpeted"
*Me opens thread*
"..............................................."

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
They appear to be hanging ornaments?... Christmas tree ornaments? who's even making these?

you'd have to be a special type of oblivious to not add up how these would look even in the crafting process. What would you ever display these on?

its just such an odd item to even end up in the gift shop regardless of the display,

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Times like these I'm glad for social media, expose and shame these fools. So embarrassing, ugh.

Hurts that this is happening, still, and if anything getting worse. :(

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
BossAttack

This is only day four of black history month.

giphy.gif

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I imagined a PR rep for MSU seeing this, shrugging, laughing in a most awkward fashion, and committing seppuku for how unmistakably racist this is.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I struggle to understand what's going through these people's minds when I see things like this.
It's like, how can you be full of such hate. Taking everything else away, it just makes no sense to waste energy on caring so much about a person's skin colour. Like, what's the end goal here?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Before I got to the picture I was like, surely it can't be that blatant. Maybe there are similar tree displays in the store with white dolls on them too and it's just an unfortunate coincidence that hanging dolls from a display shaped like a tree will inherently look bad.

Then I saw the picture and what the fucking fuck dude
They appear to be hanging ornaments?... Christmas tree ornaments? who's even making these?

you'd have to be a special type of oblivious to not add up how these would look even in the crafting process. What would you ever display these on?

its just such an odd item to even end up in the gift shop regardless of the display,
The small one at the top is a keychain, they're designed to look like they're hand made yarn dolls. My sister got me one that looks like a ninja years ago, they make all kinds of different characters out of them.

The larger dolls though what the fuck. On an ornament the rope typically comes out of the top of the head. Where does it even connect on these, on their backs? Is it even part of the dolls themselves or were they added on by whatever idiot decided to display them like this?

Edit: Clicking through the story and going to the Facebook page the bigger ones are totally ornaments and they're hung from all different kinds of tree displays through the shop. What the fuck dude!!!

Last edited:

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Looking past the display the dolls themselves seem off in the first place. As if theyre designed for this exact purpose
Anyone find a listing for them? I want to see how theyre advertised

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Black History Month, that special time of a year the racists decide its also time to celebrate the history of dehumanizing and abusing minorites in a spectacular display of idiocy. People need to lose jobs over this and made an example of.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps this says more about me than anything else but I probably wouldn't have taken a second look at that display if nothing had been pointed out. Well, maybe I would have but only to guffaw at how ugly those dolls are.

Oct 27, 2017
There was more than one tree. More than one type of tree.

Louis Armstrong with a scarf. Michelle Obama with a necklace. Add hanging rope and tree display.

This was unmissable with no possible excuse.

And what is this "racial bias training?" - "don't do this again" ?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm mad that I wonder why will.i.am was included. But it's Rosa parks.

Off to a good start this month. We need bhm bingo. Up next is white sorority doing black face and dragging a minority behind a truck for initiation, being totally taken out of context...

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
i want to believe they were just trying to repurpose display stuff from christmas or something and were just super ignorant about the whole thing...

but fucking damn that is a REALLY bad look...

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly find it hard to believe anyone could be that stupid, but there were apparently dolls of white people, too.

84259571_10219265969473219_6390494114734931968_n.jpg

From the Facebook comments:
How does that exonerate them? If you are so racist that you literally build a symbolic lynching via dolls, then why stop at black people? Why not hang a doll of the guy who stopped slavery as well, or just about everyone who was ever remotely progressive in the countries history.

Last edited:

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Who ever made that tree knew exactly what they were doing.
Yup, someone made a conscious decision to do make that AND display that. Hell, there might've been more than one person that "okay'd" the decision. These people need to be dragged outta the building and flogged in front of the whole university.