• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
A US school is undergoing a $48m renovation to help protect children in case of a mass shooting.

Fruitport High School in Michigan is making some of its hallways curved to cut down a potential gunman's firing range and installing cement blocks for children to hide behind.

Walls are also being erected in classrooms, where up to 40 students can hide so any killer cannot see them as they pass, and impact resistant film is being added to windows.
skynews-fruitport-school_4752592.png

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's an extremely welcoming environment that surely is bound to make kids at ease and ready to learn!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they aware that a significant number of shooters ARE students?

Also can you imagine taxpayers putting up with asbestos driving suits because we just keep making cars that burst into flames?

Or letting elementary schools be built next to explosive chemical plants and not requiring sprinklers? (No offense Texas)

Like we're putting bulletproof glass in kindergartens but we're not mandating background checks and we're literally allowing known terrorists and psychotic boyfriends to retain their second amendment rights.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I'm waiting for the first news report on gym classes having children practice zig-zag running patterns to make them harder to be hit by a shooter. It's fucking bizarro world here.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad. Pretty soon children will have to go sit inside super strength steel enclosures while in class.

Oct 27, 2017
And every other country looks on, baffled. Astonished that this is seen to be the solution.

Just say it out loud; "Schools in America have to design places for the kids to hide from gunmen" and if that doesn't make you go what the actual fuck your perspective of what constitutes a normal environment for your fucking children is hopelessly, probably irrepairably, broken.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I need to get out of this dumbass country. Let's face it, guns will never be banned here.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In addition to this not solving the actual cause, anyone reading this now knows about these features.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to the district here, it's not in their power to reform gun laws. These are probably well intentioned changes on their part, but likely not very effective, and will do nothing to stop the actual causes of mass shootings.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
This country is so bad about dealing with its problems.

Climate change is a problem so we bash the people, scientist, and kids that want to help.

Gun control is a problem so we bash the kids that want to help, make schools look like war zones and we consider training our teachers to potentially murder their students.

Racism has never been addressed in this country so we ignore it and bash anyone that tries to open a dialog about it.

We are a terrible problem solvers. But coming from a country that was founded by white people trying to run from their problems what should I expect?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a failure of a country. Fuck you if you have a problem with what I say too. It's sad they have to do this for kids in this country. I'm glad the school is looking out for the kids, but this joke of a fucking country I can't stand.

Fuck all the people who have the chance to make the changes, but they won't because they're a piece of shit.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Another stupid ass solution on the board!

So lets get this straight, spending 48 million dollars to build a place where all the students will be rounded up together during an incident.

what could go wrong!

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
To be fair to the district here, it's not in their power to reform gun laws. These are probably well intentioned changes on their part, but likely not very effective, and will do nothing to stop the actual causes of mass shootings.
I concur on this. I'm not going to blame the school district for doing what they can to protect children, as ineffective as it might be.

Additionally, I suspect this renovation was already in the works and these are just the specific design elements that were included in the process of designing the new renovations.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Isn't anybody blaming the district specifically? We're horrified by the whole damn country.

America is a fucking nightmare.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

The school district doing this is actually the best possible thing they could do to help push toward gun law reform. It highlights the absurdity of the situation and gets on the national news.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The American zeitgeist is so phenomenally stupid it's hard to imagine a country that has so much potential could squander such potential so completely each and every day.

America has so much potential to be the shining beacon in the darkness for the world, but it's fucking wasted.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Anything, but actually dealing with the problem head on. Anytime anyone speaks up about this countrys problem we are immediately shut down and dismissed.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Why not go all the way? Build a panic room for every classroom. Not everybody'll be able to get in so the teacher must assign the seats closer to the entrance to the students with higher grades.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

I could see this.....school knows shit isn't going to get done or changed so its doing whatever power it can to help mitigate something!